Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: TFF Royalty

Registered User TFF Royalty Lady Rika's Avatar
    Hey everybody, im sorry I haven't posted in awhile but I have some negitive news. I am going to my dad's for the rest of July against my will and I might not be able to post but a couple of time's a week. But I will post, and i'll get all my roleplay bussiness done as fast as I can because I don't get significant Internet access their.

Also I must say that I will be gone to the mountians for a few days so don't exspect a post soon. I am so sorry that it has to be this way but I promise you that I will remain as active as I can. Especially because I made a commitment to this club, the roleplay and everybody in it.^^

I'll talk to you all soon^^
    ~*Lady Rika*~

Also im sorry I haven't posted in the roleplay, i've been stressed with my leaving and also being that I I have writers block I haven't been able to post anywhere else either. But do espect one soon though, as soon as return.

The Quiet One TFF Royalty Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm glad to know that you are alright and still around, even in a deminished state. As I said before you will be able to join in when ever you are able to. So it will not be a problem if you are a little while in your getting a post up. I don't know how fast the RP will move along. But I do not think you will be really left behind.

See you when ever you can.

And well, I posted a little while back. So I am not sure what is holding up the others. Not that you should have been held up unless you posted last. I am hoping to see a post by Merlin this weekend. Though I do not know about Zell or Dragonheart. Please post soon, so that the RP does not stall too much.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

Magically Delicous TFF Royalty Merlin's Avatar
    I'm trying to write on my lunch break at work.. haha. Its kinda funny really... I actually have a lot of free time at work but I can't use it to be writing. I'm using it to make it look like I'm working. My programming skill is quite a bit more advanced than they think, but I don't want to be an ass and tell them the shit is too damn ez. I get the programming part done in 30 minutes and spend the rest of the day doing CSS layouts and shit to make it look pretty(which is not required). Of course that also freaked them out, b/c they weren't expecting their shitty, bland form to look shiny and pretty.

In any case, I have like 4 posts figured out in my head I just can't write them at the moment. Saturday {Can I have it?} Oh yes... then I can write all day.

As for the rest of you....

Lady Succubus TFF Royalty Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Name: Furinji Kisara
    Nationality: Born and raised in Kithur; Currently in Kithur.
    Magic Element: Lightning and Teleporting
    Social Status: Middle Class
    Weapons: Rod
    Appearance: Wears a gown that falls to her ankles. The gown has a slit in the middle that shows off her toned, yet pale skin. The gown is light blue and has dark blue trimmings. Her hair is blue with white streaks running through various places. Her eyes are white, which makes it seem as if she has no pupils.
    Background: Currently living in Kithur as a wanderer. Some people think of her teleporting ability as handy for transporting goods and products with ease. Others fear her power over the element of lightning. They all fear her when she gets a common cold. When she coughs, she sets off her lightning powers, and when she sneezes, she randomly teleports somewhere. One particular time is when she accidentally teleported behind two girls as they were doing something very important. When she was about to ask where she was, she sneezed again and teleported back to where she was before. She is also a ditzy girl who is smart but can't talk like she is, which is what makes her ditzy.

New Character. For interacting purposes with Andro. =P
    Last edited by Victoria; 07-08-2007 at 12:19 AM.

Blog Entries
    Originally I was waiting for Shadow to reply about whether he wanted to meet up with Kaida briefly but he never got back to me. I'm thinking over my next post instead, trying to squeeze in some time for it between work and getting things ready for my vacation.

Which is the other thing I wanted to mention, I will be going on vacation in Florida from about the 18th to the 28th. Internet access and time will both be limited so chances are I will not be posting at all during that time period.

So in light of that I was thinking that maybe I should refrain from getting too far involved with the RP for now and instead wait until I come back to be a full participant. That way I won't be holding anyone up if I get involved in a major plotline.

~DragonHeart~
    Family: Psiko, Mistress Sheena, Djinn

Blog Entries
    Well I'm glad to see that you are going to be posting Dragonheart. I was getting a little worried since you seemed so interested in the RP. But I do not think that if you were gone for ten days that you will be thrown off of anything. There is not really strong plot being developed at the moment. And if you interact with someone, I doubt a lot will be planned before you get back. And it depends on who you work with. If you are with Merlin he has other characters for the exact purpose that you mentioned.

I look forward to see what you do with this new character of your Shadow. It should be very interesting. But it seems that you also have something to discuss with Dragonheart as well. Hopefully, we can get this RP moving on its feet again.

Blog Entries
    Oh, I guess I completely forgot about getting back to DH on that. I thought I did. Oh well.

Yes, I'd like to interact with DH's character, and I'm in the capital of Lotuna. Which, I guess would be called Lotuna. Lol.

I've been having a not-so-fun week. My wrist went out again and then I get a letter from my college telling me they don't feel like giving me financial aid anymore... which means I can't afford to go to college. I'm trying to appeal it, but if not... I have a huge problem.

In any case, I have posted in the RP.

Zell I left you a blatantly-obvious opening for your character to meet Sizuru... Take it or not, its up to you.

I still am trying to get the cobwebs out of my head when writing. Taking such a long hiatus definitely has impacted me. I am already working on my next post, since I already have it in my head. Might as well work on it while I have the time. XD

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I changed a few things in my last post that Andro did, just to make things a bit more interesting.

And I have to say that I liked your post, and the conflict with your two characters. It was really interesting to see them going their separate ways after being together for so long. =P

Yeah like I mentioned, I went from humor to tragedy.

My next post will reveal who the mysterious man is and his connection with Alastora. Of course, if you read my original char bios, you can pretty much figure out who he is by now... I just haven't blatently posted it in the story because it isn't the time. The char bios are for us writers, not the readers. At least, that is how I always thought of it. The characters should be revealed through the story, not a bio. Everything in your char bio should be in writing at some point or another... otherwise you wasted your time writing it.

As you can see, they each have very different behavioral patterns from one another. I did not want cookie-cutter characters that all end up acting the same, just with different outfits and hairdos. Their actions are clearly influenced by their upbringing, emotions, and thought-patterns. The only bad thing with that is when people want to interact with my characters... they are all so complicated that it can be confusing. If all else fails, ask me ahead of time so I can Quality Control it... LOL!

For reference sake, you might have noticed that my humor stems from shows like Hayate no Gotoku(smartass narration) and Lucky Star(heavily-sarcastic humor and/or situational humor). I hope it works.. O.o. I'm not used to writing anything dealing with humorous elements and come up with the stuff on the fly. I enjoy situational humor because the characters themselves don't realize its funny, they are simply acting normal.

Anywho, enough rambling. Off to watch some more anime.
    Last edited by Merlin; 07-11-2007 at 06:21 PM.

Blog Entries
    Well I read the new posts, glad to see you posting Merlin. I hope that your wrist gets better. I didn't know that it was a problem for you. But I hope that you can get your finances in order, its a little strange that they would just stop. There's probably a reason, though knowing loans they probably do not have a very good one.

I'm not sure about Zell, you may not want to rely on him Merlin. He has only posted once and since has not said anything about posting again. I hope he does return soon, I would hate to lose someone from the RP so early. I imagine you have back up plans in the event that the wait becomes too long.

I am going to start working on my post tomorrow, I should have it up then as well. Though it depends if there is anything that gets in my way. You do leave me with some decision making to do Shadow. But those decisions were already going to happen either way regardless. It just means that I have company now. And I find it doubtful that Eris will use such powerful magic again for a while. Certainly not consciously that is for sure.

Yes, I'd like to call such attacks 24hr skills or perhaps 72hr skills, taking a page from FFXI. Such attacks should pretty much drain all of your mana, reiatsu, ki, chakra, or whatever you'd like to call it.

The one thing I didn't really agree with in your post is the fact that she wiped out an entire town and took no damage. With that much energy in the atmosphere, there is bound to be backlash... especially in the case of lightning, in which the target discharges energy back at the source. Even if you are immune to electricity, a single lightning bolt can reach 50,000 degrees Fahrenheit, capable of fusing sand and dirt into glass. With that many lightning strikes within the same area, every person in that house would be dead, not to mention the other homes struck. The proximity to the heat source alone would have caused spontaneous combustion.

Of course, its just a story, but I tried to show that backlash in my own post. Sure, Alastora can create a ball of fire with the similar energy output of a miniature star, but that comes at a cost. It sent both Sizuru and Alastora to the brink of death. Actually, the only reason they survived is the fact that they were on a mountain and the combination of a thin atmosphere(less oxygen per square inch) and extreme cold dampened the effects. Even then, it was like laying on a grenade when it goes off... Both of them were severely injured. I don't care how resistant you are, its gonna hurt like hell.

Now for small-scale attacks, I can clearly see how it wouldn't hurt you... but blowing up towns? I find that a bit fishy that she is unscathed... even more that her family is standing.

Enough rambling from me... just something to think on.

EDIT: I'm not bitching. I like your posts Andro, I just don't find the last part very plausible under the laws of physics. Of course, its a fantasy-world, but even so, there's physics and laws of energy etc in there somewhere. I plan to see lots of crazy shit in this RP, just don't break every scientific law in the process. Bending them is more than fine though... haha
    Last edited by Merlin; 07-12-2007 at 06:45 PM.

Blog Entries
    Well I could have killed of the family, though the results of the lightning did kill roughly half of the village. I could have killed them all just to introduce further pain and drama into her life, but I think she has enough angst already. But who knows, fate may not be so kind to them after all. Well shall see won't we.

Continuing from being side tracked they really should be dead with the proximity of the lightning. But also as you said its not reality, so we can bend things. Though it is also enough to say that there is more about Eris that has yet to be told. So some of the more different to believe moments will be explained later on.

While I won't scientifically find reasons for everything, I will probably try to put in some amount of plausibility. Though it is also to say that the lightning that I used was not normal typical mother nature lightning. So there is some give and pull there, it is still lightning and similiar in nature. There are just a few things that make it a little different.

I definitely hear what you saying. But what you said has definitely given me some ideas to play around with. So I will mess with them some in this post. There is a lot of supension of disbelief. I mean if you are going to hold fire in your hand, you aren't going to end up melt the skin away. The proximity will be enough to give you 3rd degree burns. Magic is magical. ^^;

Actually, that's not entirely true. It depends on how hot the flame is and the proximity of it to your hand. Also, heat energy is naturally directed away from the source. The point directly underneath the flame is not as hot as its epicenter. So, if you create a flame 'above' your hand and not 'in' your hand, you are not getting the full force of it. A blow torch is hot enough to melt metal, yet it doesn't melt the blow torch. Why?

The properties of electricity, regardless of whether it is lightning or not, is a mutual exchange. If negative energy is coming from the clouds(which is 95% of the time) then positive energy comes from the ground to the clouds. If you break the electrical loop, nothing happens.

The other elements are a lot more plausible and be more readily proven with actual science. By manipulating the speed at which particles move, you can make them freeze or burn. By moving air or water around, you can have wind and waves. By changing the hardness of rock, you can have earth movement. But what about electricity? You can naturally build up a positive or negative imbalance simply by dragging your feet across a carpet. But what happens when you touch the door knob? It hurts... but why? You are discharging the energy, letting it go... but you get hurt. It has a lot more complicated properties than the others. If you release electrical energy, an opposite charge will come back at you. Changing that isn't bending a law, its breaking it all the way. If the energy came back to you and struck a spot near you at point-blank range, ie: 'bending' the flow, the positive energy could technically miss you, but its still there. That positive energy has to go 'somewhere'.

I suppose you could say that she rebalances herself by pulling positive energy from her direct surroundings, so the return current strikes those objects instead. That'd actually be interesting. She starts to learn how to use her magic but at first she ends up zapping herself. Over time she learns how to use her surroundings to 'absorb' the blow for her. It'd be funny of Jay's character got zapped by the recoil, for instance.

Anywho, you could technically ignore all my technobabble if you want... I was more writing it out because I like overthinking everything...

edit: oh.. and the return current isn't necessarily visible... I don't remember which way it goes. I think with lightning, you actually see the return current, not the discharge... but I won't swear to it.
    Last edited by Merlin; 07-12-2007 at 07:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    Well, I posted. I took some of what you said and did something with it. But this is a fantasy world where magic rules and is law, not the science that we know. We are allowed manipulate things to our own ways. There is a certain level of suspension of disbelief required in fantasy or science fiction. Which means tossing out the laws of physics. They don't apply the same here, it is as simple as that. You can speculate and theorize about the scientific possiblilities of simulating magic with technology all you want, but in the end its magic and does not need to be explained rationally. That's the beauty of magic, it just is. ^^

That aside, you can have as much fun debunking the magic of the world and my use of it as much as you want Merlin. Knock yourself out, it'll just give me more ideas to play with to make things interesting.

That said, I would suggest reading my post before continuing beyond this point of my post as I am going to explain a couple things from my post and without the reference of the post they will be a little confusing and spoil the post for you. They should be apparent enough, but I figured it would be good to go into some details on the matter since they will affect the rest of you anyway.

The first matter is something that Merlin brought up in his debunking of lightning magic. A side effect of Eris casting lightning on herself is that she becomes positively charged (I think that is right, the exact science of it is not necessary its enough to say that she is charged). Charged in such a way that is akin to static electricity. She touches something and it jumps off her balancing things out. The lightning striking her builds up a lot of charge in her which she releases through her hands. Naturally, touching herself is not going to release the built up charge. So touching other things will release it in the form of static electricity. However, since she using lightning the amount of electricity built up in much higher than normal. In the case of the massive lightning strike, it would be equal to all of those strikes, so a ton. The mere proximity is enough for it literally jump to release the excess.

In a normal lightning strike she uses the discharge will be much lower, but just as vital. The main difference will be that this time she is able to discharge numerous times because of the huge amount. Normal bolts will only be brief discharges. However, because she can discharge through her hands it does along her to apply that charge to weapons. In familiar terms it would be like doing an enthunder, just not really elementally charging it. It would be more like a lightning rod and when it struck something else it would shock the person. It would only be good for a couple of swings before the strength of the charge is completely gone, but an useful addition.

The second matter is of the dialogue at the end, so I really suggest reading my posted now if you made it this far.

Spoiler:
    Eris currently believes that it was another magic user that destroyed her village. The pain and madness caused from seeing everything that she did was too painful for her. She replaced the memories with something that she could manage. Thus the current belief that she has, which is similiar to the last time she covered over bad memories. It is her way of being able to continue to live with what she has done.

Now on to another thing. While I was writing this post and thinking about Merlin things I came up with another character. It is almost 5am in the morning and I need sleep. So I only managed to put together a very short profile for the time. When I wake up tomorrow or today as it were, I will fill it out more thoroughly. Simply put, he is going to be hunting Eris since he is the perfect candidate to be doing the job.

Name: Wihnem Nal Bironi
    Nationality: Jumin
    Magic Element (If applicable): Lightning
    Social Status: Noble
    Weapons (If applicable): Sword
    Appearance: Wihnem is young and thin, but with a tone body. He is not muscular like many in the military, but his strength should not be ignored. He has short trimmed brown hair with pale green entrancing eyes. As being part of a secret branch he does not go around in military issued armor, but more often civilian clothes to blend in. He clothes will change depending on the region that he is working in at the time. More often he prefers the look of a wandering traveler with aging clothes that are in need of repair.
    Background: A noble that was discovered to have magic abilities at a young age. One of the first in Jumin to be discovered he was eventually recruited into the secret organization within the Kingdom of Jumin. He was specifically recruited for his unique abilities, the rare talent of lightning manipulation that was in direct opposition to the other with lightning abilities. His lightning could neutralize and cancel out other lightning as well as pull and attract it towards his own. It made him a valuable asset as a safe guard against one of the many types of magic that existed.

His primary purpose is to investigate occurrences of magic use and gauge their potential for the military. Most times he will only report back his findings to the council for them to make their final judgment. However, he is also given retrieval orders, typically against lightning users. Wihnem reports directly to the council on his assignments and as with everyone in the organization, no one else knows about his existence.

If you want to completely ignore physics and whatnot, thats your business, but there should still be some sort of boundaries like I mentioned, otherwise its like Superman without Kryptonite. That's why I said you should stick to some semblance of a physics system. Sure, its not the same world as ours so obviously our standards do not directly apply... but theres STILL some sort of law-system that applies to it, whether its scientific or not. Even FFVII:AC had boundaries...
    "but in the end its magic and does not need to be explained rationally" Such thoughts eventually lead to God-Modding It happens to the best of writers, not just the idiots. You have to be especially careful in stories like this.

-------------
    As for your character's inherent emotional issues, I believe it is pretty self-explanatory. It is a common symptom of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. One often replaces painful memories with something that is more palatable. Such people were often viewed as weak-minded because they subconsciously block out bad situations out rather than dealing with the problem. To me its more of a mental stop-gap. The brain rewrites or erases potentially hazardous information to keep the mind from descending into mental chaos.

The problem with blocking out the pain is that those memories eventually come back and bite you in the ass. Reliving the same traumatic event again in such gory detail can drive people over the edge. Ah, the joy of psychology.
    Last edited by Merlin; 07-15-2007 at 10:43 AM.

Though it is utterly late and I hate myself for it I have written my first post and am now over my writers block. Not to mention I have my own little laptop to use for writing anytime I want!

I want to thank Great Writer for 'encouraging' me to set my priorities so I can get all that I need to get done finished!^^
    Another problem that I had was connecting with my character, which I had a hard time doing at first. But now that I have made that connection I know I can write much easier now! Horray!
    Oh and I wanted to apologize to you Andromeda for my post being late, I didn't mean to hold up the rolelplay with my character not being introduced.

Blog Entries
    It wasn't really held up, persay. It's just that you posted a profile, so we kind of expected you to post sometime. And that's what I was pestering you to do earlier. =P

But yay, now you posted. Congrats. ^^ Now do the Bleach one. =P

Blog Entries
    Well I'm glad to see that you posted Lady Rika. It'll be good to have another person with us now. I already had talked to Shadow about this, but he can have his character mysteriously teleport us to your location at some point when you are ready. That way you are not isolated away from everyone.

I'm not sure what is up with Zell, but I think he vanished again. And Dragonheart should be returning shortly if I am not mistaken. Though I wonder where Psiko is, I would have thought that he'd want to join the RP. Does anyone have any contact with him to let him know about the RP? I guess I could just PM him, but it is times slower to get results.

Hmm teleporting their would be interesting being I am slightly far away. But I was hoping for a few more things to happen before he meets up with everybody else. Maybe become less afraid of his powers and such, so yeah i'll tell you ahead of time okay^^

And yes, I'll be posting in the Bleach rp too Great Writer...the post is so long, but im having fun with it!

From observation, it appears that this RP is more of a 'back burner project' for some of you... who seem really active in other RPs. I can't say much since my life is currently in a rather unstable state... but yeah. That's all I have to say on that...

Anywho, I have 2 posts in the making as I speak. Sizuru is currently out of the loop for a few posts, but not forever. I have plans for her.

Blog Entries
    Heh. My own RP is my back burner project. Magically Appeared is in front of that. I started my post on that, but it's not finished.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, as for me I am usually waiting on someone to do something. I have two RPs and then third that is apparently getting lost now. But either way, I am waiting for Shadow to make a move since it is setup for him to do so. I will be curious to see what you have planned Merlin, but I know that you have your own problems in life currently that are going to be distracting you. Hopefully, Dragonheart will be back soon. And I think Lady Rika in the RP now, I think.

I won't make accusations, because that would be the pot calling the kettle black. I myself am working on scheduling some time frame to which I can write for this RP. It is difficult with what is going on in my life, but I am working on it. Once I know more, I will dually note it.

-----------------
    In any case, the following is most definitely not related to my above conjecture... it actually relates to people's writing styles.

Disclaimer: The following can be referred to as a rant. If you are incapable of reading material without becoming biased, read no further. All information is based upon observation and therefore, any relation to actual individuals on this forum is merely a coincidence.

Upon scanning various current RPs I was impressed by the improvement of writing quality, specifically longevity. One thing that always irked me was people bitching that they couldn't read more than 2-3 paragraphs without getting bored or sidetracked. I always wondered why the hell they were even writing, if they didn't enjoy reading.

This new spark of post-length drove me to investigate further... which lead to my startling discovery that although the posts were quite long, they had no content. Yes, it was as if I was watching the latest episode of Naruto Shippuuden or god-forbid I mention DragonBall Z. Pages upon endless pages are spent in endless banter over what people are 'planning' on doing or what they have done in the past, but nothing is actually accomplished. Its just a bunch of characters talking. I wasn't sure if I was reading through play-scripts or suffering the mind-boggling stare-downs that happen so often in the above-mentioned Animes.

To make matters worse, many people seem to enjoy wasting 3/4ths of their post regurgitating what happened in someone else's post. This is so DBZ. I'm sorry... but it is. Its like people who quote the full post of the person above them in forums. People should put tags in their posts going "Last time On Bleach The Lost Season..." so I know to skip over that whole section. At least in animes you know to skip through the episode until the beginning credits are over. Its like a blatant 'tivo marker'. Hit skip and bam there you are.

Am I the perfect writer? Nah... I don't claim to be one. I have degrees in Computer Science, not Creative Writing. I also took a long hiatus from writing to further my skills in my major. However, I do know that if you scan a few good books, you'd quickly see that what I am saying is so true. How many books have you read that are filled with endless quotations? I believe the general idea is 'moving the plot forward through action', not psycho-banter. The exception of course is books aimed at teen girls, who many of which enjoy such activities as excessive talking. Of course, how many of them read?

The part about regurgitation cannot be directly applied to books because RPs flow differently in that respect. Perhaps it is due to too much anime-influence. It is beginning to negatively-effect writing by influencing how they perceive the flow of time. Time is linear... there is no rewind button. Flashbacks are nice, but I don't need a damned 2+ page essay reminding me of what just happened in the post directly above yours...

END RANT

-------------
    Maybe I should have posted that in the main RP forum threads.. oh well. People write how they write and that is how they write... or something. I myself use too many ellipses to emphasize pauses. I want to ensure that people 'know' to pause and one period simply doesn't cut it, especially for those who love to ignore punctuation when they read(or even worse, read aloud.)

I'm just kinda depressed at the moment. I was like 'ZOMG TFF writing has improved' then I realized it wasn't as grand as I thought. It still has a long way to go. Its getting better, but it still blows in many respects. Keep up the good work?

---
    EDIT: Damn that was so old-skool. I haven't done a good rant in some time. Ah... the good ole days.
    Last edited by Merlin; 07-22-2007 at 12:26 AM.

Blog Entries
    Actually I really agree with you there, but luckily I know for a fact that your rant doesn't refer to me, since I actually hate posts like that. Especially if the person I'm interacting with does it and they post right after me. It's like hello... you don't need to do that.. my post is right above yours... >.>;

Although I would understand if they didn't post for a while and a new page was created, then maybe they can put in a few lines, but not the whole dialogue in their point of view.

I always start off with the very last line in their post if I'm interacting with them. I do read over my posts and what I'm doing with them. Though I do agree with you that some people in that RP are doing exactly what you're describing.

Although if it does refer to me, (be honest if it does) kindly point out the spots and I'll change'em up. It's not that difficult for me.

However, I can't say the same if they're not me. Heh.

I suppose I have my own little rant. It's like, a conversation shouldn't take two people to do. I know Xeim is currently waiting on Suzu for the conversation, but I told her to go ahead and do it herself, since she'd be waiting forever. If I was her, I would've done it myself from the get go. I've seen how their characters are for long enough to get them down to a T when I write.

Haha, you don't do it nearly as bad as what I was referring to. In Magically Appeared you start at a point 'before' interaction then repeat that interaction. I think what you are trying for is to show your character's perspective of a given action. That is fine, but it is a slippery-slope and hard to pull off effectively. Read through the posts and see how you do it and how Andro does it. What you are doing isn't bad, its just not needed to such an extent.

If you really wish to revisit what happened during an interaction you did not directly control, generalize what other people have already done and put in your character's mindset on it. Its hard to explain without detailed examples, but I'm rather sleepy so I'll keep it brief. Don't repeat every last interaction, quote and such. Keep to the personal details. Why did your character do that? Why does your character think like that? Its really interesting when the other person f'ed up your character's actions, so then you can really get into mental issues... on 'why the blue hell did I just do that?', etc. A subtle way to let the person know they screwed up.

-----
    Really, the main thing that bothers me is quotation city. Its an attempt to cover up the fact that one has nothing to say OR is very poor in details. Its ok to let the reader fill in some blanks, but when it reads like the script to a live-action anime, there's something seriously wrong. That is the main thing that pisses me off with shows like DBZ and the latest episodes of Naruto. They just stand around talking and going 'zomg I'm SO going to kick yer ass... ', 'no I will kick yours', 'no I will!'. Twenty-four minutes later, "On the next Episode of Naruto... will Sakura defeat the puppetmaster?" No... she's going to continue to FARKING STARE AT HIM!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Oh, okay. I'll keep that in mind. And actually yea, I did want to do my character's perspective on the incident, but I didn't think I went that far back before it and repeated it to that much of an extent, but I guess that was just my own take on it.

All I can say is that I'll be careful from now on and watch how I write during such events.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I know what are you talking about Merlin. I had a tendency to cover over previous ground at times, but that is only because I have additional information I want to add for my character's point of view. As you said, usually it is some mental thoughts that add something more to the conversation. I try not to dwell on it too long, and usually I get it over with quickly since the important part is to react to the post and not recycle it.

As you know my style is more to go on for paragraphs about actions and details and such, dialogue is something I'm light on. So I usually don't feel the need to recover it. And I typically keep it simple. I know I've done it before where I just say they said something without repeating the dialogue. So it goes in a different manner and does not feel completely recycled.

Either way, as you said its best to keep things short and to point if you are going back over old territory. But one thing that I notice that happens frequently is that as you said people dwell on matters too long. Some how a 40 post RP is all about a single event that just has not been resolved yet, when it probably should have been done it like 10 posts.

I would say that the level of writing has improved somewhat. I think we've gotten most of them away from spamming. There are still a few of them out there and I monitor them to see if they improve or if I need to step in. But there is still a lot of dialogue heavy writers out there as well as dwellers and recyclers. I think the biggest crime is the spam, which is much lower now. Seeing that people are willing and able to write more, gives us a step in the right direction to improve them in other areas. Baby steps, and patience. ^^;

And well none of us are professional writers, but we can improve.

The Old Skool Warrior TFF Royalty LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin
    If you really wish to revisit what happened during an interaction you did not directly control, generalize what other people have already done and put in your character's mindset on it. Its hard to explain without detailed examples, but I'm rather sleepy so I'll keep it brief. Don't repeat every last interaction, quote and such. Keep to the personal details. Why did your character do that? Why does your character think like that? Its really interesting when the other person f'ed up your character's actions, so then you can really get into mental issues... on 'why the blue hell did I just do that?', etc. A subtle way to let the person know they screwed up.
    If you've ever read anything by Herbert Burkholz (The Sensitives, Strange Bedfellows, or Brain Damage), you'll understand more what Merlin means here.

In his books, he chronicles the adventures (well, more like missions... the characters are agents of sorts) of a group of mind-reading "Sensitives" -- each chapter focuses solely on one character's actions, so there is a lot of overlap.

The reason I bring this up is because reading one of his books will give you a much better understanding of how to efficiently reiterate what someone else has said/done through another character's eyes, as that's how his entire novels are. Now, this isn't to say you need to re-live every single event -- as Merlin already said, it's not necessary to do so in most cases.

Anyway, the trilogy is pennied out on Amazon, so basically you can pay shipping and get the books for nothing. They're pretty interesting titles, and completely worth paying the pennies to obtain them.

By the way... it's been a while since I posted in here. >_>;;
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

Some TV shows try to mimic such things by trying to show a given day or hour from the perspective of different characters. Some do it quite well while more often than not, they fall down the slippery slope of simply repeating everything over and over. The most common culprit is to simply show random pointless actions that each character did that serve no purpose to the plot, yet somehow are there to show their perspective. Then, the rest of it is simply the same plotline with different camera angles that 'focus' on that character. OMG wow. They film pretty much any TV Show or Movie from multiple angles all the time... its not a plot device. O.o The whole Groundhog Day theme is so lame at this point... yet used oh-so-often. But thats another problem in itself.. haha. Its like the above scenario to the nth degree. Not only to they keep repeating various scenes, they repeat the same group of scenes(or one scene) exactly the same over and over. /snore.

On a side-note, OMG Cesar posted.

And on another side-note, to make fun of my rant in red above... "On the next episode of Magically Appeared, Alastora awakens in a strange land. Will she discover the true identity of the cloaked man? What happened to Sizuru on the mountains? And in the most startling turn of events, one of our fateful characterswill die... All of this and more, in the next episode!" /cheesymusic

The above may or may not be true. Who knows? ^_^
    Last edited by Merlin; 07-22-2007 at 08:01 AM.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast