Thread: Choose Your Own Adventure Books

Sir Prize Choose Your Own Adventure Books Sinister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Choose Your Own Adventure Books

CYOA Books or Game Books kick ass and they are funny as hell. Does ANYONE besides Che and myself still give a damn about this lost art? I have a small secret horde of the old books like I am a Genius or Indiana Jones and the Ape Slaves of Howling Island. Lets face it, you're reading them just to see how many different ways you can kill your character off. So name drop your favorites or tell us about the ones you did read, if you've read any, or hell, just post your favorite coverart and remember...in the end...they're ridiculous.

SiLeNT-T1.jpg

*protip*^not actual book*/protip*

Fear not, this is not...the end of this world.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good..."

Registered User Choose Your Own Adventure Books
    When I was younger, I read a lot of Goosebumps books. They had a series of "Choose your own scare" that I really enjoyed as well. Probably my favorite was Scream of the Evil Genie, where you had three wishes but they all somehow horribly backfire. ^^; And yeah, sometimes I would just read from front to back to see all the ways those books ended. Those books are great fun when you gotta babysit younger kids too, since they can participate with choosing the routes the story goes.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Blog Entries
    I had two of them, I remember them particularly because, unlike the simple one-color books covers of Gerspberm berks, these were shiny. I remember one too, with like a purple alligator monster thingy trying to break through a cage.

Which I just stopped and found on google... I had this one(Along with 1-50+ of the original main series first prints, still have some of those):

gyg_box1.jpg

-Sin

Consistently Average Choose Your Own Adventure Books Kurt Zisa's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Holy crap that alligator one brings back memories. When I was about 8 or 9 I went through a huge Goosebump phase, although a majority of them were from the library. I've still got some of the newer ones somewhere, it's kinda fun to read them again see how cheesy they can be.

I think my first pick a path one was like a haunted hotel or something. It had a skeleton on the cover, from memory. It took me a while to grasp the concept though, I read about a quarter of the book before realising you don't read it cover to cover. The book made a helluva lot more sense after that.

I think there was one to do with a Goosebump theme park too. There was this slide with four different entrances, but three of them lead to your death somehow, like you kept on sliding forever or something like that.
    Currently Playing:
    Pillars of Eternity (PC)

I play Magic! See what decks im playing or building here!

#LOCKE4GOD Choose Your Own Adventure Books Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    SiLeNT-T1.jpg
    *protip*^not actual book*/protip*
    Woah, easy on the anti-Kiwi-ticism there, buddy! That fake book is totes offensive!

I used to love those choose-your-own-adventure books. But I always kept marks of my page so I could go back if I died. I seemed to read them in order to find the path that you stayed alive the longest, or where all your friends survived or whatever. I should've just read longer books.

EDIT: I had that alligator book! It sat on the shelf facing my bed for several years actually.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Woah, easy on the anti-Kiwi-ticism there, buddy! That fake book is totes offensive!

I used to love those choose-your-own-adventure books. But I always kept marks of my page so I could go back if I died. I seemed to read them in order to find the path that you stayed alive the longest, or where all your friends survived or whatever. I should've just read longer books.

EDIT: I had that alligator book! It sat on the shelf facing my bed for several years actually.
    Lol It's okay. I gave up years ago at trying to be PC. The internet is a minefield of offended people(s) that still can't/won't trace my ISP# to my house and consult a lawyer. Like an (un)lovable sitcom character, I'm in my idgaf grumpy grouchy old-man mode. Also, as an added bonus, I don't ask forgiveness so no one has to worry about giving it to me. PS, Kiwi's aren't all that, they are so last year. If it truly offends you, I will, on account of our friendship and mutual respect, remove it.

I usually read through a book in one sitting(aka dying repeatedly and rage quitting). But sometimes, for fun, I would read CYOA books from page to page sequentially, but only if I'm finished with them. I did that with the original Choose Your Own Adventure books, seeing as they were IMPOSSIBLE. Two to three choices per page and usually there was only one choice that led to survival.

-Sin
    Last edited by Sinister; 05-28-2013 at 06:24 PM.

Sicc in the head & n0t sober. Choose Your Own Adventure Books noxious.sunshine's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Goosebumps. I loved those books. I found several from my collection of 'Tween Books (that includes many Babysitters' Club (Shut it), Sweet Valley High, and Animporphs) that got thrown in boxes and stored in my mom and dad's garage. Strange, I remember having the Slide one.. Dunno what happened to it though.