Thread: Your Current Job and Why You Love or Hate It

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

Your Current Job and Why You Love or Hate It

Exactly as it sounds!

Personally I love my two current jobs.
    The first and the job I've had longer is a casual job as a Gallery Assistant/Security Guard. Unfortunately the hours weren't regular enough to support me completely so I'd have to do other things, but it's a pleasure to work. Very little to deal with other than people with cameras, kids trying to touch artwork and the occasional teenager trying to steal from the gift shop. The people who visit tend to be nice and some are up for a little chat about whatever though so it's greatly enjoyable.

The second and my newer job, is a full time contractable security guard. I basically have a guy find contracts and allocate them to myself and several other guards under his employ and so far I love the work even though it's early days. The team I work with on a Uni campass are awesome and it's fairly relaxed in terms of radio communication protocol and the like. So far I've seen very little violence and the worst thing directed at me personally was by a frustrated older lady who couldn't get a parking space. Naturally I was a prime target being an employee located nearby.

My past jobs were all generally pretty good. Some of my work was rather basic or unskilled but there'd usually be someone up for a chat which seems to speed the work up and I'm yet to have a job that lacked a good social side to it.

So, onto yourselves. What do you do and how do you feel about it?
    victoria aut mors

persona user Your Current Job and Why You Love or Hate It foster kid's Avatar
    i am currently working at hardees, and i hate it so much. I have worked at that crap hole for a year in a half now and they won't let me be a manager or shift leader. everyone there wanted one of our shift leaders to become our new general manager cause we thought she would be good ........ hahahah we were sadly mistaken. she let the power go to her head. i went from45-70 hours a month to not even 20! i can't quit cause there is no place hiring and its hard as hell for me to find a job. and everyone knows everyone elses business. the only good thing about that place is 9 months ago i met my girl friend who i am gonna marry, so it wasn't all bad but other than her i don't wanna be there ......... it would be different if she wouldn't lie to me by sayin that if i showed that i wanna be there i would get more hours and if i worked harder i would get more hours......... i am one of the top 5 hardest workers in that place! and work harder? hmm that is so why she lets her 2 lil pet workers sit in the lobby and get free food and she does the same thing but she say she don't. i went to see when i work yesterday and my friend was working with the gen manager and her 2 pets and when i walked in what did i see.... her and her pets sittin in the lobby eatin free food .... where was taylor my friend? of course she wouldn't let him come from behind the counter. she so stupid....

The fighting rages on and on, to challange me you must be strong

Proud Member of METAL MILITA....join me and we will rule the world....or at least tff

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't know if it counts, but I worked at UBS Investment Bank as a member of Security for my two weeks work experience. I had to do pretty much everything all the other workers did, plus a few times a week we'd have a little meeting. The only thing they wouldn't let me do was to stand and guard at the doors - insurance and my age or something.

But yeah, I enjoyed that! I spent some time making ID cards for new visitors and/or workers (which was pretty fun, playing with the camara to get decent pictures of them, and typing in details on the computer). I went on a patrol on my first week to see all the buildings around Liverpool Street, and I was taught one hell of a load of the security procedures and were people would go if an incedent happened (everything from a leak in a bathroom, to a bomb threat, and everything from someone being locked in a room to hold ups). In the second week, I spent a lot of time sitting at a desk, typing up sick forms and holiday forms on to some database, and filing, and assigning people to do certain jobs, then working out how much they would get paid. I even got to see the safe! It was bloody massive! I didn't go inside, too many a valuable item in there, but... woah. MASSIVE.

Despite not being paid for it, it was a brilliant job! And the people I worked with were really friendly, and treated me like I was actually one of them! Maybe one day, I'll get to go back there... and get paid for it, which would make it sweeter. ^^

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

It's the Jecht Shot, Babey! Your Current Job and Why You Love or Hate It LaCkyy's Avatar
    Well, again i don't know if this one counts but i'm currently 16, still at school here in the U.K, and doing Engineering at collage.

It was exciting for the first month or two but after that it drags . It can be really boring some times.

Turning up at collage each week, knowing your doing the same thing each week can be really depressing .

There are good things about doing engineering at collage, and that is everyone in my group is from my school so when stuck you know your friends will help you.

Another bad thing is our Portfolio's. We have a lecturer who at times can be a pain in the back-side for these portfolio's if we do them wrong he say's 3 simple words 'DO,IT, AGAIN!!'

So if your from England and fancy doing engineering don't pick something else, i wish i did.
    Favourite FF Characters - Tidus, Wakka, Red.
    Favourite FF Game : FFX

TIDUS EX ZANARKAND ABES!
    Tidus 'Captain of the Besaid Aurochs'!

Wakka

10 Years of Blitzball
    2 Wins
    1 Trophy

XboxLive: Tidus Spira - Add me if you want

Tidus - "Don't break any bones, old man!"

Every Friday I go to work I do the exact same thing.

I peel potatoes, make mashed potatoes, blanch green beans then cut them in half, peel, cut, and blanch carrots, julienne red peppers, cut up roasted red peppers, julienne onions, wash lettuce, open a bag of spring mix, reheat spanish rice, reheat soup, make the same gross salads all night long, sweep and mop the floor.

Every Friday, without fail, for the past 7 months. Saturdays on the other hand, I show up, restock, go to lunch for an hour and a half, reheat the mashers from the previous day, reheat soup, reheat rice, make the same gross salads all night, sweep and mop the floor.

My job is mindless, boring, and I hate it. I also hate everyone I work with except our Saturday dishwasher and the chef I work for.

I work at before/after/vacation school care. It's easy considering I'm only doing 3 hours a day. I will be studying soon anyway so it'll be good. On the school holidays I work 6-8 hours a day which can be a bit tiring. We get from about 3-17 kids on a normal school day while we get about 20-30 on vacation days which can be interesting. The kids are pretty good though, except a select few but you get that. It's good because on school days I get most of the day to myself, I start at 2:45 and finish at about 5:30 or a bit after so it's pretty good. It can be fun, when the kids are being good. xD

CC's YouTube Page|Add me on last.fm
    Is on Facebook so feel free to add me. =)

Aww yeah! Your Current Job and Why You Love or Hate It Wolf's Avatar
    A small town on the outskirts of Madtown, WI
    Well, besides being a full time college student, I work at a grocery store in the produce department. Basically every time I go to work, I prepare vegetables, and then stock them. Sometimes I also cut fruit and make them up into fruit salads or, around the holidays I occasionally make fruit baskets for people. I also unload the shipments that come in and sort out all the inventory for the department too. I've been doing this for roughly two and a half years.

A special shout out to my amazing TFF Family:
    Little Moogle, Darkwolf, kung fu kitty, Shadowknight241, Anachronism, Fishie,
    H.U.N.K., lazyboy708, guado_gal Dark One, Martin, TheHasteChocobo

Dr. Prof. Failstrom Your Current Job and Why You Love or Hate It Dr_Flea's Avatar
    Im a Chef

IT's an ok job except for the hours. PLus it depends where you work, someplace are good others bad there seems to be no in between ground.

The place im at now is a good place to work but theres too much bitching and moaning and backstabbing and polotics which i try to keep out of but keep getting dragged into it.

IT's not a job id reccommened to people who get offended easily

Pay is average you preety much have to be REALLY good to get paid alot

~Dr_Flea~

Asking all the personal questions. Your Current Job and Why You Love or Hate It RamesesII's Avatar
    I am a god, where ever the hell I please.
    Blog Entries
    I love my current job (Schools facilities officer) because i love the hours i start at 7:30 and finish at 3:30 or 4 so i get time to spend with my family in the afternoon where as my previous job i started at 7 and finished at 5:30 and had no time with the kids, but this job i can work at my own pace and it has a lot of variety and i love the gardening and the handy man jobs.
    A mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer.
    --Ancient Egyptian Wisdom, 2200 B.C.

Crao Porr Cock8, Go and get a Cock8 up ya.

The finer details of a signature:

CHE- "I pee sitting down after I have sex because for some reason after I have sex and I try to pee, it goes everywhere."
    Nuff said^

My loving TFF Family:

My beautiful go-go dancing Queen Aara
    My brother Meier Link, proudly supporting the World Wide Institute of Booze since 1982.
    My Spasmodic, spamtastic, spammer nephew Fate.
    My brother HUNK, he who wears the number 1 headband.
    My glowing Goddess of Egyptian thingy's, Unknown Entity.
    My Unique and unpredictable mother Kilala ^^.
    My little arcade freak brother nra4.
    My brother Captain of the Dragoon warriors, Mallick.
    My razzle, dazzle, razamatic, razphony brother Ralz
    My younger brother Ryu-Kentoshii Hirokima, the Legendary Samurai who Doesn't take "No" for an Answer.

Literature:

Recently read-
    Belgariad- David Eddings

Currently Reading-
    The Tournament by Matthew Reilly

Gaming:

Currently PLaying

-Minecraft
    - ASS Creed III

Courage, Character, Confidence. Your Current Job and Why You Love or Hate It Lunasa's Avatar
    I currently work at a shoe store in the mall called Famous Footwear. Do I like it? Yes and no.

I like being able to have contact with people- I'm not a behind-the-desk type of person, so retail(for now) is pretty fun for me. We even have a little friendly competition when we have to meet our "numbers". Honestly, meeting some of the work standards is kind of boring, though. Especially that Rewards program thing we have to do. Nothing cheaper than signing up people for a points card that will make them spend more and more money just for a stupid $10 coupon. Blah. That and some customers are plain rude. They leave their shoes all over the benches and then yell at their kids for doing the same thing. Or you have out-of-staters complaining about the 8% tax on anything over $100. Or why Long Island tax is .625% more than upstate taxes. Blah. Didn't set the rules, don't want to hear it.

"Let oneself make oneself a fool. Blind. Senseless. Confused."
    ~Anonymous

Govinda
    I work in an airport two days a week. That is more than enough for me. I don't know how full-timers can survive.

Do you know why it's so hard?

Okay, this is a Public Service Announcement: being in an airport DOES NOT give you the right to be a tool. I honestly don't care how far you've traveled or how shit everything is, I've been on shift since 5am and things that go wrong are categorically not my fault. Nine times out of ten it will be nobody's fault - contrary to popular opinion we airport staff try to make everything run as smoothly as we possibly can because it makes our lives easier too.

We deal with a huge number of unquantifiable elements and a massive number of things which can break down, but by far the worst repercussion is the public. If I was in charge I'd say, '****ing sure! Get on the plane! What, you don't care that the mechanics have concerns about the wheels? **** them, what do they know? What, you don't care that the pilot doesn't fancy taking off in 80mph winds with hail? You're right, what does that guy know! I'll just go and switch that annoying rainstorm off so your plane can take off, okay? I am perfectly ****ing well aware that you are paying for this, and frankly I'm glad you're never coming near us again. Sorry, Sir, but they've grounded the flight for maintenance but sure, get on the plane, crash, die, and make my life better. Thanks.'

I'm not stupid. The outfit I have to wear is really ****ing dumb, but that does not make me so. The people who staff airports do a difficult job, and do it well. We do everything else other places do, only wrapped up in miles and miles of security forms and protocol. These things waste and awful ****ing lot of our time, but do you know why we do them? So that some crazy doesn't end up in the airport trying to kill you. It is less for our protection than yours. If there's a fire or an attack, we're not meant to leave until you all have.

We are here to look after you and we always do everything we can to try and make your trip easier, because we know how stressful it can be - shock ****ing horror, we go on holiday too, and recieve no special treatment. We're just like you. It's not our fault it's snowing. So for the love of God please stop shouting at us when the weather's bad or the security code system's gone down or your plane is being inspected or the fuel tanker's got stuck dealing with a problematic flight or your luggage is 15 minutes late because someone decided it was a good idea to put a sink in a suitcase and then pit that arrangement against a luggage belt.

And for ****'s sake would some of you Americans please learn what currency we use before coming here, it's not ****ing hard. The amount of people who come up and ask for 'Whatever money it is you people use here,' is staggering, and 100% of the time they are American. Never Canadians, or Australians. Always Americans. I could give them Euros and they'd happily toddle off to spend them. 'So, uh, whut do you use then? The British Pound, you say? That'll do me, but you'd better be tellin' the truth, hahaha.'

My favourite American request of all time was, 'Ma'am, I have some YOO-ESS-DOLLARS, ohkay, UNITED STATES DOLLARS, and I'd like to change them for some Scottish European Euros, please, ma'am.' Almost gave him Swiss money, but refrained.

I am currently seeking alternative employment, preferably in a cave, as far away from the general public as can be.

Blog Entries
    Besides being a fulltime student at college, I also work at a center that is designed for helping out children with special physical and/or mental needs.

I started working here ever since the beginning of summer last year, when I needed to find a summer job, and I fell in love with working there ever since. I love working here, because there is always something new and exciting going on, and every day is a new challenge with something different.

The majority of clients I work with generally have either Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mild Retardation, and/or a combination of one or more and other things that I haven't listed. Depending on the client, I either do skill-building activities with them, where I work on set goals that they have to accomplish given to them by their case workers, or I may get to hang out with them and take them places while the parents are busy doing other activities. The kids that I get to work with are great; it's always fun coming into work knowing that you are a hero in there eyes. Some of them can be especially challenging, and a lot of them have unique needs, but that all comes with the job.

The parents of the clients that I work with are generally great people as well, and all of them take the time to let me know that they appreciate what I do. Just like any other job, I get the whole spectrum of parents, from single mothers living on welfare all the way up to rich millionaire families.

All in all, it is a great job, and after graduating from college, I hope to be able to continue in some kind of line of work that I am in now.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Sparkly Beanie Baby of Doom! Your Current Job and Why You Love or Hate It Tallulah's Avatar
    I work in a call centre for British Telecom, in the Faults department, half the time taking calls from ingrates who don't DESERVE a telephone connection!

Actually people were really understanding and patient today, and accepted what I had to tell them, even though the engineers can't do their job properly and the engineer's notes portal wasn't working AS USUAL, making the callback work, which I had been assigned to, twenty times more difficult.

Some days, no matter what you do, people aren't as understanding, and you can't seem to say anything right. I had a day like that last Saturday, and I left that day wanting to get a new job.

Also, my job is way too target orientated, and we are expected to have a daily call handling time of so many seconds (I think the target now is 385 seconds), and we have to do so many callbacks in an hour if you're offline. I think it's out of order, especially as a lot of customers are leaving because of the poor level of customer service. We should spend more time with the customer rather than sticking to some unrealistic targets that make the company look better than it is. A colleague of mine said that whilst BT were the pioneers of broadband at least in this country, they are only the third most popular broadband provider, after Sky and Virgin. (The technical support is absolutely AWFUL! Which is why I refuse to have BT Broadband in this house. I only really have the phone line as I need it for Tiscali internet and Sky TV.)

Still, I work with a lovely bunch of people, and we help each other through. We even go out for the occasional night out together. Just last week I took a half day on my late days so I could go for a meal out with some of them. It was a good night.

Lets see i hate my job most of the time. Imagine standing around all morning waiting for word on what you are going to do today. After that happening you get done what was supposed to get done and you wait until your boss pulls his head out of his butt and finds something else to do. Oh i forgot you wake up at like 530 every morning at your job. LOl yes i live at my job. It sucks but hey i make money. Oh yeah and i sometimes work weekends and months at a time. They have to give me permission to go see my family if i want to go, and if i do get permission i have a large packet i have to fill out explaining exactly how i am getting to my location a rough idea on what i am doing and where i am staying with numbers to reach me. If i am late getting back they can dock my pay and make me work extra. LOL i love the military^^
    www.fatalluck.com
    Check it out!!!!

Arachnie Suicide Your Current Job and Why You Love or Hate It ChloChloAriadne's Avatar
    I'm an Avon Lady. Don't love it, don't hate it. The main reason I have it is because they'll let me have as many piercings or tattoes as I like and couldn't care less about my hair colour, where as so many other jobs do.

Requires a LOT of organisation, though. But it's not bad.
    I've been on this site since 2006 woah

Soup Kitchen Jerk. Your Current Job and Why You Love or Hate It Polk's Avatar
    I go to school full time, and work at a grocery store two days a week as a cashier/utility clerk (a glorified name for bagger, cart pusher, and any other shit jobs they need done). Though I've been cashiering more lately, or working in the liquor department.

You get your share of shitty customers, of either the asshole or pants-on-head retarded variety, and some of the kids that work there are lazy, stupid, or both. I think, though, I hate my job so much these days because I used to really like it. We had some cool managers, and I had a great group of coworkers when I first started, and most of them left. But it's a job, and I need to make money some way.

That is until they start paying me for being the "World's Greatest Lover".
    Let's go into the "archives" in "Washington D.C." and find out how people "masturbated" in the "roaring 20's."

Crao Porr Cock8. Bitch.

Aww yeah! Your Current Job and Why You Love or Hate It Wolf's Avatar
    A small town on the outskirts of Madtown, WI
    Quote Originally Posted by James K. Polk View Post
    I go to school full time, and work at a grocery store two days a week as a cashier/utility clerk (a glorified name for bagger, cart pusher, and any other shit jobs they need done). Though I've been cashiering more lately, or working in the liquor department.
    A fellow cheesehead and grocery store worker like me can totally relate to that, Polk. I used to be a bagger / janitor / cart bitch for almost a year before I got promoted to working in the produce department.

You get your share of shitty customers, of either the asshole or pants-on-head retarded variety, and some of the kids that work there are lazy, stupid, or both.
    I've also had my fair share of stupid customers. About a couple months ago some angry old man came into the store I worked at about an hour before we closed for the night and asked me if we had any celery stalks left. I told him "sorry we are all out of celery we should be getting some more in tomorrow morn---" then he cuts me off and replies by saying....

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Old Man
    what do you mean you have no goddamn celery, this is ridiculous. You or your manager need to get off you ass and do something. I swear to god I'll never come here again if I come back and there is still no celery here.
    After this guy said this, I just gave him a really pissed of look like I was about to punch him and then he just turned around and walked away. After that I flipped him off when he wasn't looking, I didn't care if any other customers saw me do it. Yes there are kids that work that also do nothing and complain about the littlest thing and it always makes me laugh when my boss catches them doing nothing and yells at them.

I think, though, I hate my job so much these days because I used to really like it. We had some cool managers, and I had a great group of coworkers when I first started, and most of them left. But it's a job, and I need to make money some way.
    Again, I have been in that situation. I remember we use to have this manager that would let us get away with a lot of stuff as long as we got done with our work. We would be so bored and ahead of schedule that we would have food fights with damaged stuff in the back of the store. I remember besides that manager I also used to have a lot of great co-workers too that used to work with me when I started working at my store. But most graduated with me and went to faraway colleges so I don't see them that often anymore but every now and then they pop into the store and say hi to everyone. I remember some of the girl cashiers that used to work there were fairly attractive too when I started but the all graduated too. But oh well, at least there is still a decent amount of people there that I think are still cool.

But seriously, for the most part it's okay, because I can still joke around with a bunch of people there and the hours fit in well with my school schedule
    Last edited by Wolf; 03-22-2009 at 09:43 PM.

A special shout out to my amazing TFF Family:
    Little Moogle, Darkwolf, kung fu kitty, Shadowknight241, Anachronism, Fishie,
    H.U.N.K., lazyboy708, guado_gal Dark One, Martin, TheHasteChocobo

Well lets see, I am still doing what I was doing when I first started here. For those that do not know I am a licensed Aviation Maintinance Technition, I work for a German based company.

We do overhaul to everything and anything that surrounds the actual Jet engines, meaning nose cowls, fan cowls, cowl doors and thrust reversers. We also work things such as flight controals and what not. I am fluant in sheet metal, bonding (graphite, fiberglass and metal), actuation, assembly, new porduct development, evaluation, teardown and hydrolics. We currently have around 100 people on the employee list. I think I am currently around #7 in senority.

I have been with this company going on over 8 years. It is an interesting job and tends to keep me on my toes. Seeing that my current job title is basicly second in command and I am the Senior employee of my department (and one of the longest lasting staff members here) I get all of the challenging jobs and I rarely have to do the crap jobs such as getting in the grinding booths and washing parts.

I personally really like what I do for a living, there is so many things to do that it rarely gets old, and if I do get bored (which happens from time to time) I just volenteer to go help in other areas that need my help. After a few weeks being out of my area I come back and the boredom is gone.

We have seen many changes through out the years and all seem to be for the best.
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

What is this I don't even Musashiden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm a paperboy.

You read right, a paperboy.

I work for the Union Leader delivering papers. I like it, but some of the customers I have bug the shit out of me. I'm just glad I don't have to interact with them personally. Other than that it's a great job. I just drive around, crank music, smoke butts, and chuck papers. Best job I've ever had.

Has anyone in this family ever even seen a chicken?
    Thread killer extraordinaire since 4/20/01.
    Tumblr | Twitter

persona user Your Current Job and Why You Love or Hate It foster kid's Avatar
    i will so trade you jobs...... you be a cashier at hardees and ill be the paperboy...... god i haate my job i have a 60 dollar phone bill and a 1,600 emergancy room bill to pay and my boss don't care she just keeps giving me one a week and when she gives me 2 days she calls and says not to come in one of the days....... i hope game stop calls me to work for them soon that would be so much better than my job and i hate hardees even more cause my soon to be wife was a cook there .....its actually where we met and she quit and got a better job so now im all alone at that crap hole.

The fighting rages on and on, to challange me you must be strong

Proud Member of METAL MILITA....join me and we will rule the world....or at least tff