Thread: Where to buy swords?

I like to lol. Where to buy swords? ExQuentin's Avatar

Where to buy swords?

Now, listen to me, I am not like a stupid terrorist or anything. I am just asking if you have any swords, where did you get them at? I know not to hurt anyone or do anything stupid... -.-

These things aren't sold just everywhere. Where can you get a decent sword, and for how much? Also, where at? There is a Renaissance Faire in my town and they are selling swords for like 200 dollars, there is a wooden sword there for on 20 though. What is a reasonable price for a, say, katana?

My couch pulls out but I don't. Where to buy swords? midgetbob's Avatar

Re: Where to buy swords?

lololol... so... let me get this straight.... there are enough terrorists around using swords for you to have to worry someone is going to assume you're a terrorist because you want to buy a sword? WHAT!?

WATCH OUT! THEY GOT KATANAS!!!

as for where to buy them... Ren Fairs aren't too bad, but you have to watch out about quality. Sometimes they're just buying from a super cheap place and selling them back at high prices. Though, $200 isn't so bad really.

Swords.com is one place if you're looking for just things to have to show off with...

I'll have to dig around to find the website where I bought me epees for fencing though... I'll get back to you with that... they're all high quality blades (and have more then just fencing foils).
    Last edited by midgetbob; 05-29-2010 at 07:03 PM. Reason: bah, thought I found the link, but I lied. Faux edit.

Magically Delicous Where to buy swords? Merlin's Avatar

I myself do not own any weapons, but I have went with a friend to a number of trade shows just to look around. I've you want a decent sword, you would have to go to a knife trade show or gun/knife trade show. There are quite a few of those that happen throughout the year all across the US. You can find el-cheapo Chinese knock-offs from QVC and HSN, among other places for like $50. They are pieces of crap and not even full-tang usually. There are also pawn shops, but that is pretty hit and miss. For a true Japanese sword you would really have to import it from a Japanese company and it would be quite expensive. It all depends on what you are really going for: a knock-off that probably looks pretty but wouldn't be very good in actual combat all the way up to a true sword capable of slicing a man in half or even a brick wall like a knife through butter.

edit: Ignore midgetbob. He's obviously never heard of the Yakuza. Yes they aren't terrorists, but they damn sure carry swords.
    Last edited by Merlin; 05-29-2010 at 07:08 PM.

Registered User Where to buy swords? kupo's Avatar

ren-fair swords are usually pretty good quality, but they are on the pricey side. if its the last weekend of fair, sometime you can talk them down to a lower price. just whatever you do, dont buy bladed weapons at an anime con...those things are very cheaply made and get bent out of shape if you look at them wrong

"With each passing day, the world finds new and exciting ways to kill a man." - Balthier

CURRENTLY PLAYING
    final fantasy xiii-2
    skyrim
    pokemon fire red

I must be a terrorist for owning 6 swords and a dagger. Someone stop me.

Anyways. Some Smoke Shops have swords for sale. I got my dagger at an antique/souvenir shop. And 3 others my folks got at a garage sale as a present for me.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Yeah... antique shops are decent options... you'll either find some really nice buys or some really cheap pieces of tin

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    edit: Ignore midgetbob. He's obviously never heard of the Yakuza. Yes they aren't terrorists, but they damn sure carry swords.
    I think this made me laugh even more. I think I'd have assumed him to be a terrorist more then the Yakuza... if he was any kind of mafia related, he wouldn't be asking about ren fair swords or where to get other ones now would he?

He made a statement about terrorists, I made a comment about terrorists. There was nothing in there about gangs / mafias / killers using swords... just terrorists... Nice try though! You'll get the hang of it soon enough!

Last edited by midgetbob; 05-29-2010 at 07:23 PM. Reason: editted so I didn't double post... I'm learning! :O :O :O Also, because people are dumb.

-.- I didn't mean be a terrorist like you see in iraq or whatever... What I meant was contribute to terrorism, I am not going to hold up a store or anything you know. (holy crap) FWI midgetbob, the definition of terrorism is as follows: the calculated use of violence (or the threat of violence) against civilians in order to attain goals that are political or religious or ideological in nature; this is done through intimidation or coercion or instilling fear

Anyways... Thanks guys, I might check my local antique store, or I might just see what I can find on the last day of the faire (next Monday).

Oh I know terrorism's definition. I still find it funny. Terrorists are usually associated with bombs, ak-47s and rpgs Anyone who posted in the Lets be Civilized thread is a form of terrorism. As the people are "terrorizing" the forum/mods. Which makes me laugh even more as I'm imagining the posters of TFF now having their katanas leaning up against their computer desks. haha

if you wait to the last day of the fair you might get lucky. The more expensive pieces usually last until the end, and are USUALLY the better ones... you can also get lucky and have them drop the price as they're just wanting to get rid of the merchandise (so bargain bargain bargain!)

With antique stores, if a sword is sitting by itself with a bunch of random non-sword things, don't bother. They're usually replicas and cheap. If you find someone that's running a collectors stand (has a bunch of knives & swords - usually from some war period) definitely give a peak. As they usually are worthwhile and if not real, at least well made. You'll also be paying for it though

Sir Prize Where to buy swords? Sinister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Holy Christ...Don't buy Renaissance fair swords or buy them online. Stay far away from those Theatrical SCA(society for creative anachronism) bullshit stainless steel knockoff back-scratchers.

I have four swords that I polish and keep moderately sharp. They were all purchased from reputable vendors or antique shop owners. You have to be on the lookout for those flashy fantasy blades. They aren't pieces of history, if that what you're collecting and many of them are born from molds and stainless steel or inferior machine make.

I have one HMS nautical cutlass, which albeit was more for ceremonial use. It still holds an edge and was made from serviceable steel. Two rapiers that are vintage 1860 or older. I can take either of them against a katana or broadsword or heavier and come out faster and cleaner in a bout. The last isn't a sword, but more of an attachment for a fencing weapon, called a collar of death. Gives the weapon a sharp threatening point.

I do have one theatrical blade and to be honest it couldn't cut tissue paper without force. It's a big claidheamh-mòr(claymore). Still wouldn't want to be hit with the thing.

The question you have to ask is why do you want one? To look badass or make your room look badass, are you collecting? Do you want an actual weapon for defense? If it's the latter, may I suggest a knife/dagger. Much more suited for defense and portable.

-Sin

Fear not, this is not...the end of this world.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good..."

Maridia

Why don't you buy a gun?...or just a knife? My S&W black Search and Rescue never did me wrong.

Military surplus stores have all that good stuff.

My friends step dad owns a mac 10. That's about as funny of a weapon as it gets....
    Last edited by Maridia; 05-30-2010 at 01:49 AM.

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have a wooden training katana. It was actually bought for London Anime Expo last May, but we didn't take it because of London transport issues with carrying weapons. If it had been fake, it would have been allowed, even though a "fake" bit of wood can still be used as a weapon. -_-

For the real deal? I don't know many places you could buy them. There's this old antique shop nearby a cinema/shopping centre place I go to which has sold some. Personally, I think it's an old junk shop.

Also! You can by them at the Expo. They're not all replicas of game swords either. But good luck getting them home if you didn't drive there. @_@

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Shake it like a polaroid picture Where to buy swords? RagnaToad's Avatar

Ever gone on vacation in France?

If you're in region with a lot of historic sites like castles and cathedrals, there are usually a few sword shops around where they sell what seems to be quality stuff. Most of it is quite expensive. I remember visiting a shop in one of those beautiful mediaeval looking towns/cities, they had a lot of swords, including Lord of the Rings replicas. That shit wasn't cheap.

I wouldn't know where to go right now if I needed a sword though.
    Crao Porr Cock8: Getting it while the getting's good

@sin - well, I am not exactly looking for something for defense but I want a sword that is sharp, also not to make my room look badass either... It's hard to explain.

@Maridia - Woah a mac-10? How can the Military sell you guns like that? lol That is awesome!

@RagnaToad - I've never went to France and probably never will

Bananarama Where to buy swords? Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ExQuentin View Post
    @sin - well, I am not exactly looking for something for defense but I want a sword that is sharp, also not to make my room look badass either... It's hard to explain.
    So you want something for offense then, or are you gonna impress your internet friends>

@Maridia - Woah a mac-10? How can the Military sell you guns like that? lol That is awesome!
    The gov't doesn't sell weapons like that to the public. He prob had it from some campaign back in the early 70s and never turned it in to an armory or got it at a gun show or pawn shop.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Maridia

He's got a machine gun license. Which apparently only a few people on cape even have them. He's got the Mac and the Ruger machine gun used in the first terminator (The AK looking one in the police station scene).

I've asked him about it before. I know he's been part of the NRA and all the gun clubs round here for years. But he's also said how he's filled out countless paperwork with his prints to the FBI and ATFE. Though with the machine gun ban of 86 I think it means you can own the guns but they aren't allowed to be full automatic. Though I've heard it's easy to tweak the guns back to firing full auto. And I'm not sure if that means 3 round burst is prohibited or not. Hmmm.

The funniest part is going to his house and seeing a snub nose laying on his couch while you play pool.

Quote Originally Posted by ExQuentin View Post
    the definition of terrorism is as follows: the calculated use of violence (or the threat of violence) against civilians in order to attain goals that are political or religious or ideological in nature; this is done through intimidation or coercion or instilling fear
    What I meant was contribute to terrorism, I am not going to hold up a store or anything you know.
    You're worried that people are going to think that you'll hold up a corner store for political purposes? Your Al-Qaeda buddies won't get on the plane unless you steal them a buck fifty for a coffee while they're waiting at the airport or something?

Anyways, I'd say just go with the Chinese knock-offs. They're cheap, visually appealing enough, and less likely to hurt you that a real one. Well, so long as you don't swing them. The dulled blades are likely to come off at the hilt if you do.

Until now!

Blog Entries

You could also go straight to the source--look for blacksmiths/swordsmiths. You might get lucky and find a local one you could visit. Might even get to see the forge. I'm not sure how expensive that would be, though. I can't say I've ever had the occasion to buy a sword.

Also, I don't know how old you are but the few places I've looked at when checking swords and such out (for research/inspiration) require you to be 18 to buy anything. I'm sure you could find someone who'd still sell to you though.

~DragonHeart~
    Family: Psiko, Mistress Sheena, Djinn

The STRAYED Wolf Where to buy swords? Dark Rider's Avatar

If you do find a forge, the matter of money would be difficult to say. It depends on the style, metal, and every small detail. Essentially you are gonna need some dough saved up anyway before you go looking, and to be honest, if you're getting something that you want to last then do some research! Find the kind of metal you want, then style and things like that, so that when you have enough to get it, you also know enough not to get some flimsy tin-foil sword made at some kindergarten day care center that will crack the minute you swing it. I got a really cheap one at a flea market. Lasted me two months. Never reaally roughed it, but one day I was in the yard kinda gettin a feel for it, and it snapped in half. So I can say that you don't really want to go the flea market route, though they do have cool stuff there.

I'm now back in the market, so to speak, looking for someone to forge me a dagger! So, I know I have a long way to go, since I'm low on cash.

Hopefully you get some help, or anything outta this. Good luck

-Strayed
    Strayed from the pack, the wolf howls to the moon forever more, never to leave her sight

I have a peguin on a stick! ^_^ Where to buy swords? Kooky Spice's Avatar
    Being held hostage by the imaginary people that live in this fictitious reality

Quote Originally Posted by ExQuentin
    well, I am not exactly looking for something for defense but I want a sword that is sharp, also not to make my room look badass either... It's hard to explain.
    Humor us.

I can not stress this enough do NOT buy from a renaissance fair if you are looking for authentic. If you want an Authentic Katana or something to that effect you will most likely have to go overseas if you live in America. Antique stores are shifty but not a bad place to look. If you spot a Katana for under $300 its more than likely a replica/piece of shit. If you can find a local forge that would be good but you are gonna pay out the ass for it if you want quality.

Lawlz Sephy so Smaht!!

This is where my name comes from for anyone who cares. Btw please don't get the wrong idea. I love Final Fantasy more than any other game series in the whole world.

"Good things don't come to those who wait. Good things come to those who want it bad enough to take it."