Thread: The State of Things to Come

Imperius Rex The State of Things to Come Storm's Avatar

The State of Things to Come

Last week I was discussing a subject that somethimes sneaks into my mind with one of my friends.

I look down the streets and see the young adults and teenagers, people of around my age group. A lot of people seem to be like coral: loads of individuals who seem to dress, think and act the same as one large colony. A lot of these people I see as close-minded, who care more about celebrity lifestyles and whats popular than the things that are important in life. Even more worrying are the people who I see as complete imberciles- uneducated, selfish, yobbish types commonly known in the UK as chavs. You can't go through a day without seeing or hearing things about human ignorance and cruelty. A lot of disgusting behaviour and acts are committed by people from my generation, and I do worry about what it will be like in 10 or so years time. Badly-raised children who can't look after themselves having children, who they don't raise properly as they are too busy cranking dat to Soulja Boy and getting their leg over anything willing. Its a vicious circle.

My friend says that they are the victim of society. That if you talk to people individually, you see there is intelligance and a personality. I know this is true in some cases, however I think that there are lot of idiots. It may just be that I fail to see the good in these people.

Do you think about what scoiety will be like in the next 10-20 years?
    What are your opinions on society today?

(My experiences come from living in England, however this topic is not just limited to the UK)
    PSN username: Raikujaku
    A meow-ed member of PRK9

Govinda
    There have always been ignorant people, there will always be ignorant people. Violence has been a part of society since the get go.

However much you might worry about the neds and chavs, rest assured that we (the sensible ones) will always be the ones in power. They don't care about running the country, they're only in it for themselves; we'll end up as the leaders in business, culture, politics, and most importantly the police force.

Calling them 'coral' is very harsh. They're not all bad, and they're individual. Following the crowd is human nature, and if you look beyond that you see that neds are, in their own way, people. You can talk to them if you try. Most people make the mistake of being standoffish with them as soon as one approaches them, and this is what creates the 'them and us' mentality that is so prevalent in our youth. Even I am part of it, because while I recognise their validity, I also recognise their difference. They will be the cleaners, we the managers; the rub is that both are essential. The 'them and us' mentality is one of the single biggest problems in our class-based society - when I left for university, I was ostracised on my street. In our country, the middle-class child who doesn't want to go to university is brave, while the working class child who wants that degree is seen as brave, because they know what will happen to their reputation.

When they see you they probably think exactly the same. I know my ned cousins used to think that of me - 'Why'd all you moshers dress the same and listen to the same shit music?'.

The problem with them is getting them to recognise that they matter in the world. They will work, or sell drugs, for money. But on the whole they're not to keen on recycling or energy preservation, which is a problem.

Teenage pregnancies are also a huge problem. The only solution is a massive shift in our culture, away from drink and machismo 'I won't shag you with a jonny, I'm a real man'. That will require the effort of everyone, for while I was part of the 'other' crowd, we still started drinking quite young (about 14-15). It was a mistake.

Another big part of the solution is limiting the availability of drugs to young people (by young I mean below the age of 18). We could get pot anywhere; so could the neds, but they liked it more because their parents and society had told them from the start that they weren't going to achieve anything.

That's where the problem really lies. If they're going to change, they need to understand that they can do whatever they want in life. They need to understand that a degree is an accolade, not a mark of class transition.

But in the meantime, don't worry about them. They don't have any interest in ruining the country. We have been running welfare for years, and there is no great expansion in their numbers to stretch that system; besides which, the vast majority of them work (something people never seem to recognise), at least in Scotland. The working class have never been part of the power structure, and they never will be. As you've probably picked up, I am working class; or at least I used to be, because I made the choice to leave the estate as soon as I could. And then I got up here and felt completely out of place because everyone else had money from their parents, and 80% of my first loan payment was eaten by paying my deposit, and I had to spend a good chunk of Fresher's Month looking for a job.

But seriously, don't worry. Start viewing them as people, not as coral, and you can see how well they know the place our society has deemed to give them, and how scared they are of trying to change it.

Also, to answer your question, I don't see much changing. More children will play truant, and likely the council estates will become even bigger shitholes than they already are. We have to work as a society to stop this. People who live in nice places have to start worrying about this too. Not for our sake, but for the sake of the kids born there. Someone has to make it very clear early on that escape IS an option, and perhaps one day we'll make the estates into places you don't have to flee from. But the 'them and us' mentality will have to be the first thing to go; there really isn't space here for a class system anymore.
    Last edited by Govinda; 06-26-2009 at 04:08 AM.

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    You can't go through a day without seeing or hearing things about human ignorance and cruelty. A lot of disgusting behaviour and acts are committed by people from my generation, and I do worry about what it will be like in 10 or so years time.
    I agree with this part completely but thought I'd share something I noticed. Sometimes the individual doesn't see something they've done as bad even if most others do. I've been noticing this of myself of late thanks to a few people I started chatting with at the pub. I wonder at times if the truly feral ones are much the same way, just on a more encompassing way

Interestingly enough I've actually noticed more variation with the 'chav' types you've mentioned over often wealthier crowds such as emos and scene kids. At least the working class lads wear distinctly different clothing designs even if it always comes down to a unique hoodie (the thing that seemed to replace flannel shirts and/or surf clothing down here for them).

Now onto something Gov said...

Quote Originally Posted by Govinda
    However much you might worry about the neds and chavs, rest assured that we (the sensible ones) will always be the ones in power. They don't care about running the country, they're only in it for themselves; we'll end up as the leaders in business, culture, politics, and most importantly the police force.
    Does it really work that way anywhere I wonder? I know some interesting people every here and there who have left me with the distinct impression that in most places the strings are pulled by private entities whose people may have had a good education but often the ties are of loyalty, blood and how well they play their little role. I've had a few such people offer me a way into their little world, but it didn't seem like the type of thing I'd be into especially as it essentially means they own you.
    victoria aut mors

Imperius Rex The State of Things to Come Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Govinda View Post
    There have always been ignorant people, there will always be ignorant people. Violence has been a part of society since the get go.

I am aware that there has always been ignorance and violence, I just feel that with the increase of counsil estates and the more prominent "ghetto" lifestyle, that the problem is only to get worse. I know they won't end up running the country, its more the increase of destructive culture. Although my hometown isn't like, say, the rough counsil estates of large cities, i've witnessed more idiotic behaviour. Spending the last 2 years in another town, a lot has happened in the area- arson, needless violance (often alcohol-induced), suicide. There is even a cult-like group who walk around in clown makeup, a member of whom was a very intelligant individual I knew, who always seemed calm, who comitted suicide off the town bridge in the makeup.

Calling them 'coral' is very harsh. They're not all bad, and they're individual. Following the crowd is human nature, and if you look beyond that you see that neds are, in their own way, people. You can talk to them if you try. Most people make the mistake of being standoffish with them as soon as one approaches them, and this is what creates the 'them and us' mentality that is so prevalent in our youth. Even I am part of it, because while I recognise their validity, I also recognise their difference. They will be the cleaners, we the managers; the rub is that both are essential. The 'them and us' mentality is one of the single biggest problems in our class-based society - when I left for university, I was ostracised on my street. In our country, the middle-class child who doesn't want to go to university is brave, while the working class child who wants that degree is seen as brave, because they know what will happen to their reputation.
    First thing is first, that for me it is not a question of class as I am working class. My mum works in a shop, my dad is a construction worker. I also don't judge people when it comes to qualifications, yes I got decent GCSE grades, but my A-levels were poor (just enough to get into a foundation degree course), so judging people by qualifications would be hypocritical. I have also been in the situation of having a breakdown more than once due to the financial problems of being a student- a student loan that only covers my living costs for 6 months, and no jobs available. I don't see myself as a model human being as I am more than aware of my own negative traits, just like everybody else. I do see the harshness in calling them all the same, and like I said I do see that there is some individualness, however I do not understand how people try so hard to fit in with people to loose what makes them unique, and to act a certain way because thats what their peers do. It just makes a more negative environment for other people, and even themselves. I maybe insecure myself by judging people who have treated me like crap for being the way I am, but I can't see how trying to fit in with a self-abusive lifestyle would make me feel any better, it would make me feel really disgusted with myself.

When they see you they probably think exactly the same. I know my ned cousins used to think that of me - 'Why'd all you moshers dress the same and listen to the same shit music?'.
    Likely. I'm not sure what category chavs and trendies would class me as, due to the style and colours of my clothing changing as to whatever I happened to throw on that morning, and my ranged musical taste, but I was always regarded as a nerd at school (most likely due to liking videogames, alternative music, enjoying reading, drawing, wanting to learn, and having a keen interest in how things work and in animals and nature). I got called an emo about a year ago (which is odd considering I was wearing blue bootleg jeans, a black t-shirt and a red jacket), and have had a few weird comments shot at me. One of my friends got called "The Matrix" because he was wearing an RAF jacket (god knows how they thought that). The need for shouting stupid comments is beyond my understanding.

But in the meantime, don't worry about them. They don't have any interest in ruining the country.

Start viewing them as people, not as coral, and you can see how well they know the place our society has deemed to give them, and how scared they are of trying to change it.
    But seriously, don't worry. Start viewing them as people, not as coral, and you can see how well they know the place our society has deemed to give them, and how scared they are of trying to change it.
    I am aware of the multiple issues being tackled with, and if it sounded like I was blaming the entire problems of the United Kingdom on them, that was not my intention. It is more the worry about how the vicious circle of teenage pregnancies and violant culture is turning, and how it will affect the children and teenagers of the years to come.

Hopefully, like you said, with the right guidance and changes within society, things should hopefully change for the better.
    Last edited by Storm; 06-26-2009 at 05:30 AM.
    PSN username: Raikujaku
    A meow-ed member of PRK9

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm
    You can't go through a day without seeing or hearing things about human ignorance and cruelty. A lot of disgusting behaviour and acts are committed by people from my generation, and I do worry about what it will be like in 10 or so years time.
    Sadly, I have to agree too. Silver is right too, by some people not being able to see what they've done as bad. Personally, I blame that on either someones upbringing or peer group - they have obvisously not been taught morals, and to me it's the good who live by good morals.

'I won't shag you with a jonny, I'm a real man'.
    A real man would stay and help support his girlfriend when she tells him she is expecting his child. You've seen how it goes on The Jeremy Kyle Show lol.

Then again, if it were my boyfriend, it would be like "You don't want wear it? Go "shag" someone else." Girls just want sex these days. 0.o

Quote Originally Posted by Silver
    Interestingly enough I've actually noticed more variation with the 'chav' types you've mentioned over often wealthier crowds such as emos and scene kids. At least the working class lads wear distinctly different clothing designs even if it always comes down to a unique hoodie (the thing that seemed to replace flannel shirts and/or surf clothing down here for them).
    Yeah, I think it's a teen thing. You see, chavs tend to come from a family who started having children when they were my age, and the wealthier teens come from a family who probably had them when they were... early 30's to early 40's. If you are too young, you can't teach morals to your children because you have none of your own; but if you are too old, you tend to be further away from knowing what kids get up and whats "hip", so they give their kids more slack. What I have noticed, however, is that scene (or preps/yuppies/snobs) tend to be a lot more interested in getting somewhere with education, and are less likely to be caught doing wrong. BUT they are more likely to take drugs and drink exesively, because it's easy to fool the parents.

It's just something I noticed when I was at school. The chavs liked the dressing-up act and causing trouble, and "bigging" themselves up, while the scene kids did the same but more in the backgroud - like some kind of secret. 0.0

Makes me laugh because both the different groups use eachother somewhat: the chavs feel good around scene kids because they think they're hip and cool, and the scene kids like hanging with the chavs because it makes them feel superior. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Silver
    Does it really work that way anywhere I wonder? I know some interesting people every here and there who have left me with the distinct impression that in most places the strings are pulled by private entities whose people may have had a good education but often the ties are of loyalty, blood and how well they play their little role. I've had a few such people offer me a way into their little world, but it didn't seem like the type of thing I'd be into especially as it essentially means they own you.
    Despite my hate for chavs and anything British regarding them, it would be interesting if one DID make parliment. I bet we'd be surprised like we probably will be when my brother GCSE results turn up. Yes, I wouldn't want to see a chav as Prime Minister, but it would be interesting to find out what would happen. XD

I meant all that losely. >>;;
    But yeah...

Do you think about what scoiety will be like in the next 10-20 years?
    I see more chavs - they seem to be getting pregnant as fast as the news does at the moment. The sad thing is, a child which is born today from a teenage chav family, will be having his/her first child in the above time space.

For the record, I don't see a chav in parliment either. >>;;

What are your opinions on society today?
    It's ****ed. ><
    (See above for more detail).

EDIT: I've never seen a yuppie on The Jeremy Kyle Show... >>
    Last edited by Unknown Entity; 06-26-2009 at 05:42 AM.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Shake it like a polaroid picture The State of Things to Come RagnaToad's Avatar
    The youth has always been f-ed up. Our parents were seen as potheads, listening to rock 'n' roll, bad disco music and messing about with those "computer" things.

It's a fact that today's kids are scaring me though. I wonder what will become of some of them. My brother for instance. He's a really intelligent guy with whom I can discuss about art, literature, music etc. But he's part of that spoiled generation who takes stuff for granted. It might not be their own fault, but it is a common theme in the teenagers' behaviour these days.

I'm not worried about this future career or something, he'll obviously get somewhere and is planning on studying at Uni at my faculty. He's going for Art History, which is not the easiest way to go.

Kids these days don't seem to see what reality is like. It's a petty really, but then again, maybe we're the ones that are wrong about them...

Maybe we're just getting old, Zoe?
    Last edited by RagnaToad; 06-26-2009 at 07:13 AM.

Maridia
    People worry far too much about this. Generations come and go but at the end of the day we all fit into the cycle that people follow. Teens are a flurry of emotions and struggles with growing. In our 20s we party and want money, to get high and ****ed up. And as our metabolism slows and we start to show signs of age we settle down.

That first paragraph is completely close minded as you can see and is completely fake but many find it true. There's always gonna be the ones you don't see who aren't fitting into am Ill crowd. They might be studying or coming up with a new invention to better the world or perhaps are just trying to support their families. We always right off generations and mass groups. 50s were greasers and muscle cars. 60s hippies, 70s disco and drugs, 80s punk metal and satanic messages, 90s had gangstas and low riders. All of these are partially true they might have been around or the fad of the time but there's always so much more.

In every generation we write off the previous and runner ups for how we'll somehow be best overall. It's just arrogance though that comes with the age. Cause I'm sure in 20 years we'll say how this new damn set of kids wear their hats funny or their crazy lingo but that's just human nature. Kids as in 20's to younger like feeling like they're individuals but also are something much more aka their clique. Kids like feeling both uniform with their people and like they're misundrstood all at once. Adults true to growing are set in their ways and think they know better since they hold more experience. Neither of them are right or wrong in fact it's not the case at all. But in the end look at the last 50 years and see the patterns that immerge. It's nothing more than a circle we run in