Thread: Spicy, Hot, Piquant...

Sir Prize Spicy, Hot, Piquant... Sinister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Spicy, Hot, Piquant...

I have been growing Habaneros, Anaheims, Jalapenos, Cayenes. I am currently able to eat a Habanero whole and get quite a buzz. I cannot eat anything hotter than that, unfortunately. So that puts me at 100,000 to 350,000.

How much hot, spicy food can you stand? Do you like spicy food?

FYI: The proper term is Piquant, so Spicy is not confused with Spices(such as cinnamon etc..) which are not Piquant and Hot is not confused to indicate temperatures.

-Sin

Fear not, this is not...the end of this world.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good..."

Sicc in the head & n0t sober. Spicy, Hot, Piquant... noxious.sunshine's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Picoso! ... As they say in Spanish.

I can handle Jalepenos & Serranos - if they're cooked/sauteed and added to something to add spice to something.

Dried Japanese Chili Pods, sure. Maybe. Depends on how many are used.

Habaneros, again, if they're cooked and added to something - but only a small amount.

The thing with Jalepenos & Serranos (and pretty much any other pepper), is their spiciness varies depending on the climate they were grown in, the type of soil & fertilizer used, when they're picked, the weather (joke), etc.

I like to consider myself able to better handle heat than most white females around this area, but it took a lot to grow my tolerance to what it is now (which is nothing compared to your's).

The Mad God Spicy, Hot, Piquant... Heartless Angel's Avatar
    I love the heat. I refuse to use the word piquant, other than that one time just now. I also grow habaneros, as well as scotch bonnets, and a few others that I use for cooking, seranos are my most used for cooking, because other people I know can actually stand to eat them. I'd like to start growing some red savinas, they've got a little more bite than the garden variety habanero, but a similar flavor. I also like a lot of outrageously hot sauces, one of my favorites being famous Dave's Wilbur's Revenge (Probably named for Wilbur Scoville, the creator of the SHU scale) sauce, shit is delicious, though not actually that hot, I'd guess it to be somewhere around 200k. Probably lower. Another favorite is Mad Dog's revenge, 1 million flat, good flavor. Dave's Ghost pepper naga jolokia hot sauce is pretty good, not as good a flavor, but good heat sitting right around 700k. Mad dog 357 has a lot better flavor, but less heat. A sauce that someone tried to give me as a gag gift once turned out to be really good too. Called Dumb Ass hot sauce label says something about it being a perfect gift for the dumbass who insists nothing is too hot. Guess the joke's on them, I buy it for myself XD. Flavor could best be described as tabasco on steroids. Similar flavor, but better, and a ****ton hotter, I'd guess around 700k. Da Bomb Final answer is another favorite clocking in at 1.5m. That's about as hot as I care to go when eating just for the pleasure of eating, but on a bet I did once taste a small spoon of another sauce containing two crystals of Blair's 16 million reserve. Dear God, I have never been in that much pain before. I also never had quite as clear of an image of what my own intestines look like, but having followed the burning sensation, I am now quite aware of their exact path through my body.
    Last edited by Heartless Angel; 05-12-2013 at 12:51 AM.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Blog Entries
    Damn man. Can't get close to that. Technically with GERD, I'm not "supposed" to eat Habaneros... But **** it, I do. Because they're delicious but...they really make me suffer. lol Still, gotta love that endorphin buzz.

-Sin

Yeah, there is definitely a rush. But it takes me increasingly hotter foods to get there as my tolerance grows. My limit used to be around 100k, now 300k is a good snacking temperature to me. Studies also show that excitotoxins like capsaicin increase sex drive and sexual energy, so there's that too. Kinda cool I guess.

I don't think a body COULD produce sufficient endorphines to make that 16 mil reserve worth it. Not to mention that level of any neurotransmitter would probably be fatal... but yeah. I did it anyways.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Blog Entries
    lol Spicy also increases metabolism and helps suppress the appetite.

I do like Cayenne Pepper (the seasoning).

I also just read somewhere that some botanist/habanero type grower people managed to grow a type of "Hybrid" habanero pepper that has minimal heat, but the same flavor as a regular one.

~ AUTO-MERGED POSTS ~

I wish my tolerance were higher, but anytime I push my limits, it tears my stomach up for like 3 days and it's not pretty. lulz

Blog Entries
    I've never seen anyone take 16 mil. But I believe Wreckless Eating ate The Source several times on their channel. But I think the Source is something around 15 mil or lower? Idk, you'd have to check up on me for that.

As for growing Habaneros...I've really found that they're better in a dryer soil, but still full to medium sun. I've grown them with "wet feet" and they tend to get really unpleasant and bitter(kind of like old kale). I have eaten a Habanero from a six foot pepper tree(the stem was lignified just like a tree). It was super tangy hot.

And as for Piquant, I agree...nobody really uses that word unless you're a menu description in a restaurant that's trying to be fancy. I mention it only in passing.

-Sin

The Source weighs in at 7.1. Certainly respectable, but nowhere near the pure agony of the 16 mil reserve. You can't really eat the 16m reserve per se. Blair's 16m reserve isn't even a sauce, it's crystals. Crystals of pure capsaicin, human consumption is highly discouraged. When I tried it, it was two crystals in a spoonful of another Blair's sauce. Oh God was that a terrible idea. At the concentration level, the sauce wouldn't have diluted it at all really, I may as well just have swallowed the crystals.

Blog Entries
    On that note, reading these posts make my stomach hurt just thinking about it. lol