View Poll Results: can you convince yourself to not be offended?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm offended.

1 5.00%
  • I can look the other way, but I'm still offended.

9 45.00%
  • No, I'm offended naturally and nothing can change that.

2 10.00%
  • What? Pass the blunt.

8 40.00%

Thread: Get offended

Che

Get offended

Obviously it's a natural reaction to get offended by something. You might take something a little personal if it hits home, etc. But can you think past that initial emotion and tell yourself you aren't offended by that?

Let's take a big example here: racism.

Can someone convince themselves they aren't offended by racism anymore? I know the human mind has a lot to offer but I'm wondering where the limits are drawn on this subject.

edit: poll may not be accurate due to the retarded amount of options I made.
    Last edited by Che; 04-22-2010 at 09:17 PM.

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

Re: Get offended

Take a look at rural/suburban Australia. Most of us find the majority of racism extremely ****ing funny as we don't bare that ill will towards others like you get in some other places. Some of us even call each other the slurs (or an opposite slur like calling a white person a ******) and it has us in stitches.

Go to the city though and you get gangs of 'Aussies' (blond hair blue eyes, usually retarded) and gangs of a few other ethnicities causing shit for eachother and the older people get offended by anything 'racist'. I wouldn't be surprised if this shit is because people living in the city often have more exposure to American culture (ie those sensationalist movies set in the US that are probably nothing like typical American life) and are adopting the tendancies they're seeing. We seem to eat up everything else from the US after all...

Political correctness just leads to much butthurt and people getting offended by the stupidest of things.
    victoria aut mors

I will finish the hunt Get offended Cheesevixen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can you convince yourself not to be offended? I can convince myself to GTFOver it......I live surrounded by tons of different cultures so even though some people bother me I've kind of adapted to having to put up with a lot of dumb stupid offensive people. I just ignore it. Like I was dancing with my boy Tree (yes that's his name) and he calls me his N*****"(his words not mine). Double standards happen to offend me; seeing as I can't very well go calling people that. I shrugged it off and told him, "I am a graham cracker...get it right". Nice guy though.

I think it's ok to get offended because it shows you have some grasp of what is and isn't right.....a sense of morality in your life. People who gets stressed about it need to calm the **** down cause we all live here and you can't change the world by making yourself angry over dumb things all day. So live life...have fun...and try not to end up on anyone's shit list.
    Last edited by Cheesevixen; 04-23-2010 at 02:36 PM.
    "Some men just want to watch the world burn"

Memento Rhapso Get offended Rhaps's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can be rather offended by actions towards me or a lady near me (chivalry, what can I say?) but if it's just a stoner or a drunk I tend to ignore it
    My school is rather loose with the racism being offensive. One of the black guys always takes my hat and pretends to use it as a condom, call me whitey etc., and I call him Kanye, and we both "lol" afterwards

CPC8- 'fo bros, 'fo life, 'fo shizzle

SPOILER!!:
    I won something :3

Also member of something that won another thing

Don't click this.

Death Before Dishonor Get offended Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I get offended by a lot of shit that happens to me, but I have had so much BullShit in my life I have learnt how to ignore it.

As for racism I am sure that they're are tons of people still offended by it. Using slurs and shit to hurt someone is f*cked up. Me and some of my friends call each slurs all the times. My black friends call me N*gga, and I call them cracker. I also have used the term n*gga jokingly towards them. We have done this shit for years, and no one is offended. But I am sure that I got pissed, and started saying the word they'd get pissed. I wouldn't be using it non offensively.

Everyone gets offended..Some are just better at letting shit go.

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't think anything really offends me that much any more where I live. You just learn to live with certain things, and people with different opinions than yourself. I've learnt to be able to laugh at certain things.

Six years ago, my mum started dating my step-dad. He's black; African and Jamaican. Eventually, my neighbours found out they were together, and immediately turned their noses up at it. One of my friends weren't even on my side, and joined in on the sick jokes about it. It made me angry for a while, but that's what these kind of people feed off of - your anger and sadness. When I stopped caring what they thought, they backed off. They might still hold these opinions, but they're less vocal about it now that they know they won't get a reaction out of me or my family.

I can just imagine what would happen if I ever brought a girlfriend home with me. x.x

I think the only thing that really offends me is the looks I get when I'm with my nan in public. I get funny looks for helping someone. She has to link her arm with mine because she can't see very well, and she's been a bit wobbly on her feet lately. Not many people around here seem to have the same respect and care that I have for my elders.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Do the elements trust you? Get offended bahamuts heir's Avatar

People are jerks most of the time so I am used to it, but certain things(like people picking a fight with my friends) send me to "beserker" mode. And when I'm pissed I get dangerous: a year ago my friend nearly got jumped by about 5 guys. I saw what happened and pulled a guy off my friend and fended off those @$$holes, at the cost of a couple of bad bruises
    You just don't get it at all! There isn't a thing I don't cherish

cuz I'm bored
    lamest death threat: (final fantasy1)"I, Garland, shall knock you all down!"
    my ff family: pm me if you want to join I might think about it
    me
    my imaginative older brother ethan
    My awesome, Final Fantasy IX loving twin, ViviMasterMage
    Short, Innocent-looking, English-obsessed Brother, Fate.
    Fluffy, Vanilla-colored Moogle, Meigumi/Bob
    my hyper and random sister, Firefly
    my Sephiroth obsessed and Okami playing cousin, Dodie16
    Soul-devouring, knuckleburning younger brother, Alther
    -98% of all teens have tried smoking pot and drinking. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy this and put it in your signature

Blog Entries

I only really get offended by stupidity. I dunno why, but I really take it personally when people are just dumb.

Racial slurs are the like don't really offend me, but assumptions about me based on my ethnicity piss me off. You can call me a mick or donkey because I'm Irish and it wouldn't bother me, but if you assumed I was stupid because I'm Polish, you can go **** yourself.

If you're a Mexican female, can I assume you've been pregnant twice by age 17? If you're black should I just bust out the fried chicken, menthol cigarettes and purple drank when you come over? Should I just assume French woman don't shave?

Reverse racism pisses me off even more. You let the best person do the job, regardless of their race or gender. If a black midget can pull my ass out of a fire faster than a white guy, then hell, let the midget work for the fire dept. Everything in that regard should be EARNED. Every position held should have to be won based on the merits of the person holding it. If that means all white men win their positions because they are the best at what they do, then so be it. If it's a bunch of Spanish transvestites, then so be it. If you're the best person at doing an important job, then you should have the job. Filling a quota is bullshit because it undermines the merits of others. THAT offends me.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    but if you assumed I was stupid because I'm Polish, you can go **** yourself.
    Well it's a good thing I enjoy ****ing myself then.

Until now!

Soup Kitchen Jerk. Get offended Polk's Avatar

I'm offended by this thread.
    Let's go into the "archives" in "Washington D.C." and find out how people "masturbated" in the "roaring 20's."

Crao Porr Cock8. Bitch.