Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Football! (the real kind, not the European variety)

#LOCKE4GOD Football! (the real kind, not the European variety) Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quick question. Shouldn't this sport be called "hand-egg", or something similar?

I do what you can't. Football! (the real kind, not the European variety) Sasquatch's Avatar
    Let's see:

"Football in online dictionary -- Real football, American football, comes up first.

"Football" on Google -- Real football, American football, comes up as the first seven entries.

Now, if some people want to bitch and moan about how they don't think rugby and football or soccer and football are different sports, fine by me. But really -- go bitch and moan somewhere else. Like to the people who publish dictionaries or run Google. Just goes to show that real football (American football) is a tougher sport and its fans are tougher -- real football fans aren't bitching about how "their sport" is being twisted, we just support what we like.

ANYWAY.

The Bears are just sucking this year. They'll play well for a game every once in a while, but there's no excuse for how poorly they're doing. Though, they do have a reasonably tough schedule -- on the flip side, the Packers have a pretty easy schedule, and they're not doing too bad. They're got another two games that they SHOULD win, and of the other three, even winning one would make them 10-6 overall. That might be good enough to get the Wildcard, but you know they're not going anywhere in the postseason. The Vikings are doing great so far, but again, they haven't been tested too much yet, and they won't until the playoffs, when they might make it to the NFC Championship, but no further.

Sig courtesy of Plastik Assassin.

Greater love hath no man than this; that he lay down his life for his friends.
    John 15:13

Bananarama Football! (the real kind, not the European variety) Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, the Jets are playing the Panthers today, and it should be interesting to say the least. From the reports I've been reading, the Jets really made some big strides with Sanchez in practice this week. On the flip side, apparently they have a safety word for him, so that he'll know to throw out of bounds and NOT throw any more picks. They probably won't make the playoffs, but at least they're all fired up.

And I think Polk made some comment about Favre before. Yeah, he totally ****ed the Jets over in the last half. His shoulder was pretty badly injured, and instead of doing the rational thing for the team and his own health, he wound up staying in there and just sucking. Oh, and because the team didn't report the injury, they all got fined several thousands of dollars.

At least the Giants suck this year too.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by Govinda View Post
    Pffft. My life would sucj without ATMs. Imagine not being able to withdraw booze money after the banks have closed. You can thank Scotland for your 'American' freedoms!
    I never thought you would try ATM. That is beyond what I dared you to do, actually.

My Dolphins are 5-5 and control their own destiny to the playoffs. Unfortunately, the schedule is tough. After the Bills today, there remains the Patriots, Texans, Titans, Steelers, and Jaguars, all playoff-caliber teams. I dread the results.

Death Before Dishonor Football! (the real kind, not the European variety) Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't think the Dolphins will do too uch the rest of the season. They need to get some better receivers out there for Pennington to throw to. The ones they got now can't catch worth a shit.

Other teams in the NFL have all-star players but are not utilizing them. Such as the Titans Kerry Collins is an amazing QB but for some reason he is sucking it up this year. And the defense well without Albert Haynesworth they are nothing and every offense will roll over them...

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

Registered User Football! (the real kind, not the European variety) WilsonDean1990's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Govinda View Post

Quick! To the gay pile!
    lol, we invented football (what Americans call soccer) we gave football its name American football is just rugby

TheDigitalManga Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDigitalManga
    Bakuman Epsiode 1 Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDigit.../0/hAID_tCqznY
    Bakuman Epsiode 1 Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDigit.../1/_SGnj0AI5WI
    Bakuman Episode 1 Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDigit.../0/szpHqaSscC4

I Think You Anime/Manga Fans would really like it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kisuke View Post
    I don't think the Dolphins will do too uch the rest of the season. They need to get some better receivers out there for Pennington to throw to. The ones they got now can't catch worth a shit.

Other teams in the NFL have all-star players but are not utilizing them. Such as the Titans Kerry Collins is an amazing QB but for some reason he is sucking it up this year. And the defense well without Albert Haynesworth they are nothing and every offense will roll over them...
    Chad Pennington is not going to be on the Dolphins roster next year. The two biggest draft needs will be linebacker and nose tackle, so wide receiver may be neglected. However, the receiving corps has a lot of potential. Hartline and Turner are only rookies, Bess is in his second year, and even Ginn is only in his third.

A lot of teams disappointed this week. If Baltimore beats Pittsburgh tonight, the Titans might actually have a chance to pull out a wildcard berth.
    Last edited by Walter Sobchak; 11-29-2009 at 07:49 PM.

Stage Dives, High Fives. Football! (the real kind, not the European variety) Confession's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Quick question. Shouldn't this sport be called "hand-egg", or something similar?

Although I do not care about the gently playfighting of Europeans and Americans about which football should be football.

From now on Tennis chall be reffered to as Football.

Wu Tang Killa Bee's, We On The Storm.

Football! (the real kind, not the European variety) Jin's Avatar
    So, that Grey Cup sure was something, wasn't it? Boy, what a disappointment for the Riders. Talk about going from the utmost high to the absolute low in a flash.

Oh, sorry, American football only?
    Last edited by Jin; 11-30-2009 at 10:47 PM.

Until now!

Maridia
    Here's my thought...Fuzz is the owner of the site. And he is American. Since he is I'd say American slang and terms would be what goes if it came down to it. Kinda like a my house my rules sort of thing. Football can be taken as rugby, soccer, or "Gridiron" pending who you talk to. I know there's other threads for the other variants you guys like. So why don't we rename them. We can have the David Beckham Clan, Matt Damon's Invictus, and the NFL thread. Sound good?

The Saints game was amazing. I do like the Pats, but they've had their run which is why I'm all for any other team that hasn't won before. Drew did what he does best and the Pats gave up early by throwing in their back up. Could they have most likely come back? No but they should have at least asserted some effort. I'd like to see the Colts, Saints, or Vikings win it all. Having a team go undefeated this year would be great. The old undefeated Dolphins need to let go it's a new era and better players exist, hence why you can't corner the league like they did.

Football! (the real kind, not the European variety) Jin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maridia
    Football can be taken as rugby, soccer, or "Gridiron" pending who you talk to. I know there's other threads for the other variants you guys like. So why don't we rename them. We can have the David Beckham Clan, Matt Damon's Invictus, and the NFL thread. Sound good?
    I think you may be overestimating the seriousness of everyone's "complaints". That or I'm overestimating the seriousness of your post.

Until now!

i think american is the real one. of course, i'm american, so...

Maridia
    The latter Jin, nothing sells it like being dead pan.

Don't hate the player hate the game...oh wait.

Death Before Dishonor Football! (the real kind, not the European variety) Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anyone catch the Saint's Pat's game. In my opinion it was the best game of this season so far. At the start it looked as if the Pat's be be able to pull one out. Then second half the Saint's came out, stomped the hell out of em. Drew Bree's did an amazing job getting the ball through the air, and there were so many running plays.

The Pat's have a good offense, but due to all their defensive vet's retiring/traded there defense is shit. They are unable to stop run's, unable to knockdown passes. They will not have another spectactular season until they have amaizng talent on both sides of the ball.

Blog Entries
    I just like the Saint's offensive style. Brees uses literally every piece of talent that there is on the team to get points on the board. That is true teamwork.

Even though Brady was trying to carry the Pats, it just wasn't enough. The end where he threw the 2nd interception, he was relying way too hard for Moss to do work, which when he wasn't double covered, he was. Welker was choking in my opinion, especially in the second half. He was definitely not playing up to his potential.

Honestly, once Brees threw that 75 yard TD, it pretty much set up the mood for the rest of the game. I loved the defeated look of Brady when he got benched the last 5 minutes of the game.
    Last edited by Rocky; 12-01-2009 at 06:32 PM.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

I have no idea who is a real Super Bowl contender. If the Colts get a first round bye, they will lose. The Saints are too inconsistent. Favre will fall apart this month. I guess the Bengals are it, then.

Master of the Shadow Key Football! (the real kind, not the European variety) KeybladerXIII's Avatar
    Favre won't fall apart. He has finally found a good fit in the Vikings, and the next game agaisnt the Cardinals will be easy without Warner. The Saints are doing great and I hope that the Colts will mess up just once so that the real contenders would be Favre and Bree.
    "Take a chance.....roll the dice.......pick a card....whatever suits your game.....you'll lose either way...."

Organization XIII in a nutshell, in their most core personality:

http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs25/f/20..._blablachn.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KeybladerXIII View Post
    Favre won't fall apart.
    Favre will most definately fall apart, we have seen it time and time again with him. He get's so close to a superbowl, then right before he choke's like a motherf*cker.

He has finally found a good fit in the Vikings,
    Well yeah he has found his place, because unlike the Jet's they actually good Receiver's.

and the next game agaisnt the Cardinals will be easy without Warner.
    What about the rest of the team, a team is more than a QB you know. Even without him they still have good receiver's, that even a third string could hit.

I hate to say it but if the Titan's are able to win the rest of their games, they may have a fighting chance. They will not win but who know's. As for the Saint's this is their year, they will win the superbowl. The only problem I have with the Saint's is they are inconsistent, they don't play at the same intensity every week. I know injuries happen and player's can't go as hard, but come on. Bree's is the shit MVP baby....

Favre won't fall apart. He has finally found a good fit in the Vikings, and the next game agaisnt the Cardinals will be easy without Warner. The Saints are doing great and I hope that the Colts will mess up just once so that the real contenders would be Favre and Bree.
    A 40 year old body is not going to keep up what he is doing. His arm, his knee, the whole thing. He spent a whole off-season off and most of training camp, so he hasn't worn down yet. Give him time.

Soup Kitchen Jerk. Football! (the real kind, not the European variety) Polk's Avatar
    He had a "good fit" in 2007 when the Packers went 13-3, and he threw the pick in overtime to give the Giants the win.
    Let's go into the "archives" in "Washington D.C." and find out how people "masturbated" in the "roaring 20's."

Crao Porr Cock8. Bitch.

i have to agree that Brees is most likely gonna win the MVP, but i don't see Favre falling apart. Near the end of the season, if his arm starts to wear down, he's got somebody called Adrian Peterson to help take the pressure off. That may very well be the best security blanket in the league today.

Blog Entries
    Those keeping up with the NFL must know about the Raider's beating the Steeler's yesterday. So with that said I am going to go ahead and a[poligize to all Raider's fans for bashing them. It was a very good game, all honesty I blame it on their secondary. Tomlin was talking about benching some starter's(mainly Ike Taylor's crappy ass)and playing some rookies or second year's.

So with the Steeler's on a four lose streak I am going to go ahead and jump on the nearest band wagon. Go Saint's...

Saint's are a great team that I think will go to the superbowl. If I am going to pick a band wagon to jump on why not pick the best one available to me...

Blog Entries
    It wasn't as hard for me to be a Broncos fan as it was in the past years. Sure the 4 game losing streak sucked but I think we will end up 10-6, not too bad overall. For some reason I could see us coming up clutch and ending the Colts winning streak.

Speaking of which, Colts and Saints both 12-0? Thats crazy shit right there. I think that both of them will drop a game before playoffs though, Colts to the Broncos, (lol wishful thinking) and Saints to virtually any team, I'm predicting them having a rough game against the Cowboys actually. Maybe Romo can finally redeem himself and his overratedness.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Soup Kitchen Jerk. Football! (the real kind, not the European variety) Polk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisuke View Post
    So with the Steeler's on a four lose streak I am going to go ahead and jump on the nearest band wagon. Go Saint's...

Saint's are a great team that I think will go to the superbowl. If I am going to pick a band wagon to jump on why not pick the best one available to me...
    Haha. Methinks I smell a fair weather fan. The Steelers are what, 6-6, right now? They're still in the Wild Card hunt with a great defense, so I wouldn't give up on them until the Packers beat them later this year.

I'll be honest, I thought the Titans had enough of a head of steam yesterday to give the Colts their first loss. I guess I was wrong. And the Saints barely escaped a loss yesterday over the Redskins, so maybe they're not as invincible as previously thought.

Now to watch the Packers beat the Ravens.
    Let's go into the "archives" in "Washington D.C." and find out how people "masturbated" in the "roaring 20's."

Crao Porr Cock8. Bitch.

OAKLAND WON! this game was awesome!

So the playoff race is both getting clearer and muddier, depending on what you are looking at.

In the AFC, the Colts will lock up the first seed and the Bengals and Chargers will probably play for the second seed in Week 15. The Patriots have an easy enough schedule that they should keep the fourth seed, minus my own musings about the Dolphins. Broncos are too far ahead to lose their spot, plus they play the Raiders and Chiefs.

The last spot gets interesting. No one thinks the Jaguars will actually go to the playoffs, so the Ravens, Steelers, and Dolphins will duke it out. The Steelers play both of them, so they could all bring each other down and Mark Sanchez and the Jets could sneak in.

The NFC is a bit more interesting. The Saints and Vikings will wrap up the one and two seed soon, and beyond that is tough. The Cardinals will win the division absent a meltdown and will probably take the third spot because the Giants, Eagles, and Cowboys are going to beat one each other for the division title. The second best team in the mix will take the other wild card spot opposite the Packers.

Next week should decide a lot.

Blog Entries
    I watched the game last night. I was pleasantly surprised for most of the game; I had not realized that the Packers' defense had gotten so damned good (I don't think I've been able to watch a single Packers game, aside from the home loss to Minnesota...) Woodson in particular was amazing to watch; loved that tackle for a loss at the goal line. They looked very impressive, although the offense they were playing didn't seem to be doing anything, either. Still, this development feels very promising, along with the play of Aaron Rodgers-he can scramble. The only part of the game that really got me worried, of course, were those dreaded thirty seconds... Next week is at Chicago! How is that game gonna go down? Will the Bears get up for the Packers-as they often do-or will they continue the trend they've followed for this season?

I haven't seen much other NFL this weekend (more a College Football kinda guy myself) but I'm surprised at some team's records-like most the teams that are 8-4 at this point in the year. From the way I've heard Cowboys fans talking, I figured they were like 6-6 and on the way out, but they're still tied for first in their division. Nobody says much about the 9-3 Chargers either-who have gone on a 7-0 run the past 7 weeks, apparently. The Broncos are still in things too, with their 8-4 record. Looks like an exciting 4 week stretch ahead of us!

I still think the Colts will make it to the Super Bowl, the way they have been playing. Dunno who will in the NFC. In all honesty, I think the Saints and Vikings will choke before they get there. So someone else. EDIT: My feelings will not be hurt if I am wrong on either account, however. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

Football! (the real kind, not the European variety) Shan'do Spike's Avatar
    and the next game agaisnt the Cardinals will be easy without Warner. .
    I am quoting this for the sole purpose of rubbing it in. You and I both know that game wasn't as close as 30-17. Heck, even Matt Leinart could have put up 20 points on the Vikings with the pressure that your D-Line wasn't getting.

Not that the Cardinals aren't still a Jekyll and Hyde team who could win or lose to any team on any given week, but they're also an extremely dangerous team, especially when their defense feels disrespected. And Fitz and Boldin are beasts.

(By the way, the Chargers are really really good. People should realize this before they sneak up on people in the playoffs.)
    Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust
    Like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.

-Ferdinand, The Duchess of Malfi, V.V

Master of the Shadow Key Football! (the real kind, not the European variety) KeybladerXIII's Avatar
    @Shan'do: *draws fencing blade* have at you, sir!

In all seriousness, that was a terrible game the Vikings played. Kudos to the Cardinals must be given. Stupid defense couldn't find a way to cover the old man.

I'm quietly concerned at the Vikings future games and how they will step up to the challenge. Who's next for us, the Bengals, then the Panthers followed by the Bears and then the Giants. The Bengals have done a few solid games, hopefully it won't turn out like that completely pathetic loss to the Cards. As long as they win 3 of their next games, I'll be happy. Giant's have my interest now that they brutally maimed (not murdered) the Cowboys.
    "Take a chance.....roll the dice.......pick a card....whatever suits your game.....you'll lose either way...."

Organization XIII in a nutshell, in their most core personality:

http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs25/f/20..._blablachn.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Shan'do Spike View Post
    I am quoting this for the sole purpose of rubbing it in. You and I both know that game wasn't as close as 30-17. Heck, even Matt Leinart could have put up 20 points on the Vikings with the pressure that your D-Line wasn't getting.

Not that the Cardinals aren't still a Jekyll and Hyde team who could win or lose to any team on any given week, but they're also an extremely dangerous team, especially when their defense feels disrespected. And Fitz and Boldin are beasts.

(By the way, the Chargers are really really good. People should realize this before they sneak up on people in the playoffs.)
    As long as Norv Turner is the coach of the San Diego Chargers, I am not terribly frightened. All the talent in the world cannot overcome bad coaching.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast