Thread: Project 2011/52

Go with me, Exkaizer~ Project 2011/52 Treize's Avatar

Project 2011/52

I really liked DragonHeart's thread for 2010, so I decided to restart it up for 2011. I completely failed last year, but I hope to redeem myself! There are a lot of times when I'm not motivated to read, but I'm hoping if I have a goal, I'll have all the much more incentive. I will be really busy this year with school and everything, so I'll probably mainly read short stories/novellas/plays, but I'm hoping to reach the goal. Everyone else is welcome to join in like last year.

I've just started reading Novalis's Heinrich von Ofterdingen. I'll update how I like the novel once I'm further in.
    TFF Family:
    stardragon -- Nick -- Fishie -- Silver -- Omega Weapon -- Tiger Lily -- Athna Loveil -- Phantom -- ekimeinna -- Novacrash -- FFGuru89 -- Kaos_Dragon -- ziroth

-PM me if you would like to join.

Blog Entries

Re: Project 2011/52

I'm in again this year, of course. I've actually already set my challenge up on Goodreads, which will make it really easy to keep track of my progress. I finished last year out with 55 books, 3 above my original goal. I decided to up my goal this year, not by a lot though because it'll be my first full year at college. My 2011 reading goal will be 60 books. Shouldn't be too hard to hit since there's a ton of great books coming out this year.

2011 Reading List
    Goal: 60 Current: 9

1. 1/9 The Great Bazaar and Other Stories by Peter V. Brett
    2. 1/12 The Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett
    3. 1/14 The Bone Palace by Amanda Downum
    4. 1/16 The Female Brain by Louann Brizendine
    5. 2/16 Mindhunter by John E. Douglas
    6. 4/15 Farlander by Col Buchanan
    7. 4/16 The Cuckoo's Egg: Tracking a Spy Through the Maze of Computer Espionage by Cliff Stoll
    8. 4/18 Blackveil by Kristen Britain
    9. 4/18 Play Dead by John Levitt

Currently Reading: The Adamantine Palace by Stephen Deas

~DragonHeart~
    Last edited by DragonHeart; 04-19-2011 at 04:41 AM.
    Family: Psiko, Mistress Sheena, Djinn

Registered User Project 2011/52 Kaiden's Avatar

I didn't really set a goal for myself this year, just that I wanted to read more. I have like 28 books set aside that I haven't finished/started yet. Since you have started though I will add in my goal of 35 books. With the back log I have if I continue to read I should be able to reach it easily.

1. S**t my Dad Says 1/7/11
    2. Orc King 1/27/11
    3. The Pirate King 2/9/11
    4. The Ghost King: Reading
    Last edited by Kaiden; 02-10-2011 at 02:35 PM.

Scene from a movie.
    SPOILER!!:
    [Having pulled over a speeding driver.]
    Mac: All right, how about Cat Game?
    Foster: Cat Game? What's the record?
    Mac: Thorny did six, but I think you can do ten.
    Foster: Ten? Starting right meow?
    [They go up to the car.]
    Driver: Sorry about the...
    Foster: All right meow. Hand over your license and registration.
    [The man gives him his license.]
    Foster: Your registration? Hurry up meow.
    Driver: [laughing] Sorry.
    Foster: Is there something funny here boy?
    Driver: Oh, no.
    Foster: Then why you laughing, Mister... Larry Johnson?
    [Foster stares at him.]
    Foster: All right meow, where were we?
    Driver: Excuse me, are you saying meow?
    Foster: Am I saying meow?
    Driver: I thought...
    Foster: Don't think boy. Meow, do you know how fast you were going?
    [The man laughs.]
    Foster: Meow. What is so damn funny?
    Driver: I could have sworn you said meow.
    Foster: Do I look like a cat to you, boy? Am I jumpin' around all nimbly-bimbly from tree to tree? Am I drinking milk from a saucer? DO YOU SEE ME EATING MICE?
    [The man is uncontrollably laughing.]
    Foster: You stop laughing right meow!
    Driver: [Stops and swallows hard.] Yes sir.
    Foster: Meow, I'm gonna have to give you a ticket on this one. No buts meow. It's the law.
    [Rips off the ticket and hands it to the man.]
    Foster: Not so funny meow, is it?
    [Foster gets up to leave, but Mac shakes his hands at him, indicating only nine meows.]
    Foster: Meow!

Blog Entries

1. The Great Bazaar and Other Stories by Peter V. Brett

This is an interesting book in that it's a novella and a couple of deleted scenes from The Warded Man. The main story of the title explains some of Arlen's time in the desert. What really caught my interest though, were the deleted scenes. It's an inside look at worldbuilding that you don't often see. The short story that started it all is of particular interest to me as a writer, because I can see how far the story has changed and evolved since that beginning. Being able to see and compare it to the actual opening of the novel is great for insight.

2. The Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett

The second of the Demon books following Brett's much talked about debut, The Warded Man. The Desert Spear tells the tale of Jardir's beginning and delves deeply into the strange society of Krasia and their nightly alagai'sharak, war against the corelings. It took a bit of getting used to since The Warded Man focused solely on Arlen, but it makes sense in context. Alas, that context is a spoiler so I won't say more on the matter, but I did enjoy this book just as much, in fact perhaps moreso than the first. Brett's world is well thought out and while at times I feel like he was introducing too many concepts at once, it's only a minor nit at best. The book is just as fast-paced as the first, with many twists and a few surprise appearances. Be warned, however, that it does end on a hell of a cliffhanger. Luckily there's another novella coming out this month, and the next book should release this year. But still.

3. The Bone Palace by Amanda Downum

Another sequel, following debut novel The Drowning City. The Bone Palace takes place two years after the events of that novel and continues the adventures of Isyllt Iskaldur, lady necromancer and criminal investigator for the Crown. I love the concept and Downum doesn't disappoint. While the previous adventure had Isyllt doing little investigative work, this book throws you right into the midst of it. Ghosts, vampires (nothing like what you're imagining right now), an underground city and lots of magic.

Characterization falls a little flat with most of the secondary characters, but the book's fast pace and Isyllt's knack for getting in way over her head more than make up for it. I'd also be remiss to not mention Savedra, the first transgender heroine I've read in a secondary fantasy world. Her character is handled with great tact and indeed, the story is as much hers as Isyllt's. She gets into just as much trouble as Isyllt, only with some very interesting complications.

The ending, on the other hand, was rather predictable and less than climactic, and I found myself disappointed at the fallout. I still have a hard time understanding Isyllt's deep and thus far unexplained love for Kiril. That won't stop me from picking up the next book to see what kind of trouble Isyllt's gotten into next, though.

4. The Female Brain by Louann Brizendine

Yes, I also read geeky science books occasionally. I've had this one for awhile. I've decided to try reading the books I already own more often instead of always going for the next shiny. This is extremely interesting reading and while it's not the most exciting subject around, it is helpful as a reference. If you're a woman, you should read it to understand yourself better. If you're a man, well there's no hope for you but at least you'll know why you're having relationship problems. XD And if you're a writer, it's a great help with understanding characters on a biological level.

Yes, I rate nonfiction by how many ideas it gives me for my own work.

Current: Wit'ch Fire by James Clemens

I'm not too far into this one. Like the previous book, I've had it kicking around for awhile and decided to give it a shot. Honestly I'm not impressed so far. Pretty standard epic fantasy beginning: sacrificial prophecies, the chosen child, the assassin hunting said child down, etc etc. Boring. I'll give it another chapter or two simply because it's a fairly popular series.

~DragonHeart~
    Last edited by DragonHeart; 01-18-2011 at 09:21 AM.

Registered User Project 2011/52 Kaiden's Avatar

I signed up for Goodreads, since I already get 10 emails a week from them after registering my e-reader. Not sure if I will update it... anyway here is a link

Alan - (51 books)

Finished "The Orc King" 1/24/2011 and have moved on to the next Drizzt book "The Pirate King".

The Orc King was alright, I wouldn't recommend the book to anyone unless they have read through the rest of the "Drizzt" series. I was never enthralled in the story to the point where I couldn't put the book down. I gave it 3 out of 5 stars only because of the fight scenes which I really enjoy in R.A. Salvatore books.

Scene from a movie.
    SPOILER!!:
    [Having pulled over a speeding driver.]
    Mac: All right, how about Cat Game?
    Foster: Cat Game? What's the record?
    Mac: Thorny did six, but I think you can do ten.
    Foster: Ten? Starting right meow?
    [They go up to the car.]
    Driver: Sorry about the...
    Foster: All right meow. Hand over your license and registration.
    [The man gives him his license.]
    Foster: Your registration? Hurry up meow.
    Driver: [laughing] Sorry.
    Foster: Is there something funny here boy?
    Driver: Oh, no.
    Foster: Then why you laughing, Mister... Larry Johnson?
    [Foster stares at him.]
    Foster: All right meow, where were we?
    Driver: Excuse me, are you saying meow?
    Foster: Am I saying meow?
    Driver: I thought...
    Foster: Don't think boy. Meow, do you know how fast you were going?
    [The man laughs.]
    Foster: Meow. What is so damn funny?
    Driver: I could have sworn you said meow.
    Foster: Do I look like a cat to you, boy? Am I jumpin' around all nimbly-bimbly from tree to tree? Am I drinking milk from a saucer? DO YOU SEE ME EATING MICE?
    [The man is uncontrollably laughing.]
    Foster: You stop laughing right meow!
    Driver: [Stops and swallows hard.] Yes sir.
    Foster: Meow, I'm gonna have to give you a ticket on this one. No buts meow. It's the law.
    [Rips off the ticket and hands it to the man.]
    Foster: Not so funny meow, is it?
    [Foster gets up to leave, but Mac shakes his hands at him, indicating only nine meows.]
    Foster: Meow!

Blog Entries

Finally got around to updating, which I haven't done mainly because I haven't done a lot of reading lately.

Mindhunter by John E. Douglas

As you can see, I did not continue reading Wit'ch Fire. Got bored. I don't know if I'll ever go back and finish it. But anyways, Mindhunter was actually a recommendation from a coworker. Well not so much a recommendation as he brought it into work, I saw it and started reading it. It's a look into the abyss basically, chronicling how and why the Behavioral Science Unit of the FBI began and the profiling of several infamous serial killers. It was a good read, not exactly what I expected though as it was half memoir, but it wasn't a waste of time by any means.

Farlander by Col Buchanan

This book was on my to-read list since the day I first heard of it so I feared my expectations might even be a bit too high. I was not disappointed, however. This is a very interesting world, one where magic is minimal and there's a mix of technology not unlike the 19th century, with swords along early guns and blackpowder. Unlike the 19th century however, there's also things like airships. And of course, the secret society of assassins who are basically ninja samurai. Unfortunately, the characters are the weakest part of the book, being barely a step above stereotypical. Thankfully, it more than makes up for that with a fast pace and unexpected twists. Definitely has potential and I've already put the upcoming sequel on my to-read list.

The Cuckoo's Egg: Tracking a Spy Through the Maze of Computer Espionage by Cliff Stoll

Read this one for school but that doesn't make it any less interesting. It's a tale of computer espionage that takes place during the early days of the internet. The story is 25 years old but it's already a period piece, and a fascinating one at that. Particularly since it's a true one. It functions as an early technothriller, cautionary tale and period piece, and it does it surprisingly well. I wouldn't quite call it a modern classic, but if you're interested at all in computers and the internet (which you probably are since you're reading this), definitely give it a try.

Blackveil by Kristen Britain

I have been waiting for this book for years. Love the series, love the characters and the world and the writing style. That said, I was a bit disappointed with this installment. Unlike the others, which are more self-contained despite having an overarching premise, Blackveil is of the to be continued variety. It ends on a cliffhanger which will drive me absolutely crazy until the next release. It resolves very little and even more frustratingly, does little to address an ongoing subplot that has been pivotal to pretty much the entire series. And although it's a very logical and realistic progression, I find myself disliking where said subplot is leading. But that is a good sign, because it means that I care.

The Green Rider series (of which this is a part) has over the years become comfort books. The characters are like old friends, the world a familiar home. I've read most of them more than once and I often find myself rereading favorite passages over and over. I do not do that with many books. So while Blackveil does not resolve much, it is a return to a much-loved world.

Play Dead by John Levitt

The latest installment of an urban fantasy series. The stakes were raised higher than ever but oddly, I just wasn't feeling it with the story. I know the author from a writing forum and I remember he had mentioned that he was running out of ideas for this series. I think it shows in the writing. Still, I can't help but wonder if my ambivalence about this book is actually lingering from Blackveil, which I finished on the same day I read this. Maybe, maybe not.

Current: The Adamantine Palace by Stephen Deas

This is one of those books I'd always wanted to read but usually never get around to. In this case, the exorbitant pricing was an issue for quite some time but it's finally come down to normal levels so I was sure to pick it up. So far the story is interesting but I find myself not particularly caring about any of the characters. They're pretty much all bastards and not in a lovable Locke Lamora kind of way. Meh.

~DragonHeart~