Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Currently Reading: Intellectual

Stage Dives, High Fives. Currently Reading: Intellectual Confession's Avatar
    Just Finished: Mao, The Unkown Story - Chang And Halliday

This made me laugh, Although meant to be taken completely serious, I could not help and laugh and the complete distain the Authors have for Mao Zedong. There are soem rather ridiculous claims in this book and most of are simply propaganda/

I read this because I am a avid studier and follower of Revolutions through the world, and this brings a much controversy to the happenings during the Chinese Revolution.

What I'm reading now: The Picture of Dorian Grey - Oscar Wilde

A timeless classic, the most interesting stories ever produced.
    If you ask many people these days abotu Dorian Grey, They wont tell you of his stunning beauty or the outlandish behaviour, but rather they will tell you of the Vampire killer off that Sean Connery movie. Which is quite sad really, that a book written back futher then 1908 is only reffered to as a hollywood story.
    This novel shows so much detication to details, it brings out the Mise En Scene, a vivid picture of the background of their locations, where every precise detail is.

It is a breathtaking story and written in such a beautiful way, that even a Homophobe could appreciate it.

Wu Tang Killa Bee's, We On The Storm.

Blog Entries
    Just finished Academ's Fury this morning, staying up way too late to do so. Excellent epic fantasy. I'm now anxiously awaiting the arrival of the next books in the series, which I have just ordered.

In the meantime I've got some standalone novels I can read. Think I'll start with Brandon Sanderson's Elantris. I read the first few pages of it before but I don't remember any of it so I might as well just start fresh. Tor's making him out to be their next Big Name Author, I've heard a lot contrary to that, though. I'll just find out for myself.

~DragonHeart~
    Family: Psiko, Mistress Sheena, Djinn

Currently Reading: Intellectual Jin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Confession View Post
    Just Finished: Mao, The Unkown Story - Chang And Halliday

This made me laugh, Although meant to be taken completely serious, I could not help and laugh and the complete distain the Authors have for Mao Zedong. There are soem rather ridiculous claims in this book and most of are simply propaganda/

I read this because I am a avid studier and follower of Revolutions through the world, and this brings a much controversy to the happenings during the Chinese Revolution.
    Thank you so much for saying this. As a dabbler in modern Chinese history myself, I also found this book utterly ridiculous. It's actually depressing, given the sources they had at their disposal that they managed to make such ludicrous conclusions.

As for me, I'm currently reading Master of the House by Oleg Khlevniuk which is an account of Stalin's relationship with the "small group of friends" that the Politburo staffed and who assisted in consolidating his power. I'm only about 40 pages in, but it's been pretty good so far. The author seems to have a level head and is drawing reasonable conclusions from the evidence he puts forward. Plus it's a great read.
    Last edited by Jin; 12-21-2009 at 04:06 PM.

Until now!

Sir Prize Currently Reading: Intellectual Sinister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Currently Reading: Intellectual

Finished Reading: Mr. Midshipman Hornblower by C.S. Forester

I have to say that it is an epic book for anyone who ever remotely likes sea/pirate dramas. Any avid reader who liked Pirates of the Caribbean would love this series.
    Spoiler:
    From dueling Russian Roulette style...being captured by the Spanish, having to defend a dock against "Fire Ships" to being quarantined for being exposed to the plague. The adventure just really doesn't let up.

At the end of the novel I desperately needed the next, like an addict.

Currently Reading: Lieutenant Hornblower by C.D. Forester

Surprised? It's not in the exact same format as the previous book. At first I was disappointed, but I've become accustomed to it now and it is a spanking good read.

-Sin

Fear not, this is not...the end of this world.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good..."

I want to play a game. Currently Reading: Intellectual Zargabaath's Avatar

I've read quite a few books recenlty, I had stopped reading for a tad after completing the Fire Rose. I'll put down which ones I've read up to now and the book I'm currently reading.

The White Order by L.E. Modesitt Jr.

This is the now the 7th book chronologically in the Saga of Recluce series; the latest book is the 5th chronologically now. My objective was to read the Saga of Recluce in chronological order even though the author suggested reading in order of publication. I've read books (chronologically) 1-4 and 6 and was pleased with the series for the most part; book 3 was pretty dreadful though.

Most of the Saga of Recluce series is told through an Order Mage's (i.e., Black Mage) perspective, having the Chaos Mages (White Mages) to be "evil". This book delves into the White Order's society in their central city of Fairhaven. The story is about Cerryl, a young man who has lost his parents and is living with his aunt and uncle. Eventually he winds up in Fairhaven and is taken to the White Tower after being discovered by the White Order. It was nice to learn more about the inner-workings of the White Order both in how they taught their students or what tasks they gave them and the politics involved. Cerryl is sent, by the Highmage, to spy on an Overmage, Jeslek, who is increasing in power and will soon become the next Highmage. Throughout the book Cerryl must survive and pass the tests that Jeslek appoints him culminating in Cerryl performing a solo mission in enemy territory. This is another coming-of-age story that is common in the Saga of Recluce, but as done with the first book it was done well with likeable characters and with a nice amount of information about the White Order making it an enjoyable book.

The Magic Engineer by L.E. Modesitt Jr.

This book takes place at the same time as The Colors of Chaos and both books reveal the relationship between Order and Chaos and how they affect the other. Dorrin is from the island of Recluce, a haven for Order Mages, settled by Creslin hundred's years ago. Dorrin has a fascination in creating machines but his father, who is on the Council, and others do not like his machines for there would be chaos involved and they fear/hate anything involving chaos. Dorrin is sent to a school where they teach him, and others, to survive in their exile to Candar, the continent closest to Recluce, where the Chaos Mages are based (Fairhaven). Dorrin, along with his childhood friend and her lover, travel together eventually settling in the town of Diev in Spidlaria. As time goes by trouble starts brewing from Fairhaven wanting to tax the merchants of Spidlaria because they use the "White Road", an advanced highway system allowing easier travel through Eastern Candar. It comes down to the White Order invading Spidlaria and Dorrin creating order-based weapons to help his two companions who have become the leaders of the army for Spidlaria. There are few times where the book shifts to the point of view from the Chaos Mages and Cerryl is there. His demeanor is very bare considering reading The White Order beforehand, but The Magic Engineer was published first so I can understand. Dorrin and most of his friends are able to escape from Spidlaria with Dorrin's machine ship that does not require the winds or oars. They set off toward Recluce and are allowed to stay there for a certain amount of time to allow Dorrin to prove his machines to the Council. Dorrin and his fellow survivors settle on the southern tip of Recluce naming the town, Nylan after the first Order Mage. The White's, fearing Dorrin's power and that he killed the Highmage Jeslek, he could not go unpunished. Dorrin is able to defeat most of fleet sent by the White's, sparing the rest because he knows that if he destroyed the whole fleet, more chaos would be free in the world eventually concentrating in somebody who would be stronger than Jeslek was.

The Colors of Chaos by L.E. Modesitt Jr.

This book goes along with The Magic Engineer but from the viewpoint of the Whites. The book continues the story of Cerryl as Fairhaven has become more dangerous for him and he must survive the plots against him and his attempt to create a stable and corrupt-free White Order. In this book it really seems like what Spidlaria and the other countries either holding out from paying or from giving the full amount required by Fairhaven for use of their roads. They [the other countries] want to a piece of the pie without having to make the pie. This book has a lot more strings to the plot as Cerryl has to figure out who is trying to kill him and is trying to please Jeslek as Highmage otherwise he would be ruined. After Jeslek dies the old Highmage is re-instated but his mind loses stability and the demands he places on Cerryl make Cerryl go back to Fairhaven to take power away from him. Cerryl becomes the Highmage but there is still one adversary that threatens his rule and the prosperity of the White Order and manuevers into freeing Fairhaven from the corrupt.

The Gathering Storm by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson

The 12th book in the Wheel of Time series and the first written by Brandon Sanderson with the notes left by Robert Jordan. Sanderson's writing is definitely different than Jordan's and he made a point not to try to emulate Jordan as he thought that wouldn't be good. Rand is trying to unify the lands and is currenlty stuck in trying to bring peace to Arad Doman. Rand knows that Tarmon Gaidon is coming ever closer and if the people are divided (not ready) they will not fare well. Rand also has captured Semirhage, one of the Forsaken, after she tried to kill him in the last book. Egwene is a prisoner in Tar Valon, center for the Aes Sedai, and is trying to usurp the power for Elaida who took control once Siuan was overthrown. Egwene is trying to unite the two factions in order to be ready for the final battle. Perrin and Mat don't have much screen time in this book, but Mat has a bit more to happen in his arc than Perrin. There is also a very big revelation that I could not believe, at first I thought that Egwene was in serious trouble but then I couldn't believe what had happened - totally unprecedented. Rand has a feeling that Graendel, another Forsaken, is based in Arad Doman somewhere and is trying to search for her while collecting the merchant lords so that they may announce a new king. This would unify the country making it ready for the final battle. All along Rand still deals with Lews Therin's voice within his head and his descent into madness. After a certain event happens, Rand realizes he must be colder than any iron in order to survive what is coming and to protect those who are most dear to him. This leads him to become very unstable as Nynaeve and Cadsuane try to figure out how to get Rand back to normal otherwise they fear he won't make it. In order to further his agenda of unifying the lands, Rand goes to the Seanchan to make peace with them so he can focus on Tarmon Gaidon, but the princess of the Seanchan strikes down his offer a peace believing more than ever that Rand, the Dragon Reborn, must be captured by her in time for Tarmon Gaidon. At the end of the book I was craving the next book because Sanderson expertly ended the book at a great point, there is a lot that happened that I can't wait to find out how Rand will react to and the world in general.

Elantris by Brandon Sanderson

Knowing that Sanderson had been chosen to finisht the Wheel of Time series I picked up his debut novel because of the great reviews it has received and I wanted to read some other works by the author who would be finishing the Wheel of Time. It is a stand alone novel but after completing the book I wouldn't mind if he came back to this universe. Ten years ago a calamity struck the city of Elantris and its inhabitants. Elantrians were seen as gods because of their beauty, power, and wisdom. But something happened that turned them into cursed beasts losing all their beauty and power. The book starts off with the prince of Arelon, Raodon being inflicting by the Shaodon, the now curse of becoming Elantrian. There are a lot of terms that Sanderson throws out in the beginning pages without much information as to what they mean but by the 75th page the reader should know what the mean. Sarene, is the princess of Teod who was engaged to Raodon as a political marriage in order to stand against Fjorden and its ever encroaching religious empire. However upon her arrival in Kae, the captial of Arelon, that borders the city of Elantris, she finds out that her husband-to-be is "dead". She instantly figures out something is wrong about Raoden's death and is set on figuring it out. Hrathen is a Derethi gyorn (high ranking priest) for Fjorden sent to Arelong (Kae) to convert the people to the religion of Derethi or face the armies of Fjorden. Raoden at first tries to establish order and purpose in Elantris where there is none and eventually tries to solve what happened to Elantris that caused the curse. Sarene comes to find that King Iadon's rule is harsh and is making Arelon unstable; she learns that Raoden was planning on confronting his father, the king, with some high-ranking nobles to prevent the country from going into an uprsing. Hrathen sets out to demonize the Elantrians, the Korethi religion trying to sway the people to Shu-Derethi. Though, Sarene is clever to his plot and is out to hamper him in any way but she is not the only thorn in his side as Daresh, a convert priest, is becoming increasingly a problem to Hrathen's plans. The book moved at a pretty good pace, giving a chapter to each character then switching with the next character always moving the plot for each of the three central characters. There were a lot of nicely done characters with their own personality and Sanderson kept the story on edge as I wondered what would happen next trying to figure out the story and angles for the characters. And I just learned that Sanderson will be writing a sequel possibly but it would focus on some of the minor characters in the first book, hopefully it comes to be as Sanderson's debut novel was very good.

Shadowfall by James Clemens

I bought this book because from the book flap the story was intriguing. I have never heard of James Clemens before this nor unknowingly read any of his work. I must say I didn't know what to expect from him and this book but he has done his job well - to make me, the reader, remember this book and want to continue reading. Here are some very short things of what has happened in this book that has made it starkingly memorable:

• a goddess was slain
      a castration
      the selling of a god's yellow bile
      and an order of men who coat themselves in the black bile of gods (i.e., their soft solids)

The castration was one of the best castration scenes I've ever seen or read because it was damn random and awesome and a bit creepy.

EDIT So, my presumption was correct in that yellow bile and black bile is urine and feces respectively. So a man was selling god piss and bloodrunners smear the fecal matter from all 4 elements (fire, water, air, and loam) on themselves and bind it with the phlegm of a god as well. In the begginning the author was solving mysterious as soon as they appeared but as the book has gone on, there are more angles than before and a lot that is uncertain. I'm liking how there is a deep tangle of thread in this story so far, it keeps my mind wanting to know the truth/dark secrets of this setting.

EDIT 2 Just finished the book a few minutes ago. It was a pretty short book compared to what I'm used to reading (Wheel of Time, Sword of Truth, Saga of Recluce). Some more secrets were revealed at the end of the book and one of those secrets took me by surprise. As it is the introduction to this world I was pleased and will be picking up book 2 when I can. It is a relatively new series, this book was released in 2006 and book 2 was released year later. From the first book I got the sense that this series can be another epic and it will be fun being there from almost the beginning.
    Last edited by Zargabaath; 05-08-2010 at 12:19 PM.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

Blog Entries

Finally, someone who's read a book that I have, lol.

I read Elantris last year and enjoyed it quite a bit. I thought the twist on why magic wasn't working anymore was both simple and brilliant. Hadn't heard about the possible sequel before, could be cool. I thought it all wrapped up quite well, though.

Have you looked at his Mistborn series? I thought it sounded pretty neat, though reviews are a bit mixed. I'll probably get to it eventually. The magic system is what really caught my interest.

Anyways, right now I'm reading Swords Against Death by Fritz Leiber, the second book of the Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser series. Each book is basically a collection of short stories about the (mis)adventures of the titular characters, Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser. The books were written ~40 years ago and it shows, but they're still great fun. Fritz Leiber is credited with coining the phrase Sword and Sorcery, the subgenre of fantasy he helped create.

~DragonHeart~

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

Book read: Legends of Marithia Book 1: Prophecies Awakening by Peter Koevari

I read this a while ago, but forgot about this little thread.
    Essentially the author is a guy from another forums I visit and he posted the first chapter online for people to read. I was entertained by it and it made me want the whole thing, so I grabbed the hardcover online and wasn't disappointed.

It's in the fantasy genre and certainly not the longest novel, but the story flows quite well and it never seems to get boring in parts like I've found in several books of late. It takes races from other fantasy works, but reworks them so they become a distinctly unique flavour of the race everyone knows and loves and most importantly it has themes of death, change, betrayel and the like, all in the right quantities and used at the right times.

It's certainly not genre defining but it's a ****ing good read.
    victoria aut mors

I am currently reading Elric: The Stealer of Souls (Chronicles of the Last Emperor of Melnibone: Volume 1) by Michael Moorcock. I know these stories have been reprinted quite a few times so to help further distinguish what version I have; this is the version published by Del Rey Books in 2008 and illustrated by John Picacio.

What made me get this book was one of my favourite power/symphonic metal bands, Domine, have a lot of songs dedicated to the tales of Elric; their first four cds had Elric on the cover. One day at Barnes & Noble I happened to see the cover for the book I'm currently reading and the huge Elric printed upon the cover got me interested if this was the same Elric that Domine sang of. After reading the back of the book and recalling what I knew of Elric (the author for example) I realized that this is the same Elric so I picked up the volume 1 of this new re-printing.

These tales are of the sword and sorcery genre taking place after the fall of the Melinbone Empire which took place ten thousand years before history was recorded or ten thousand years after history had ceased to be chronicled. The short-stories cover the life of Elric, last ruler of Melnibone, and his adventures that often aren't the happiest. Moorcock set Elric to be a totally different hero by having go against the norm of heroes at that time.

"The Dreaming City" sets the reputation of Elric as a woman-slayer and betrayer to his own kind whom didn't have as much as in the days of old with their waning empire. Elric is shown to be phsyically weak without Stormbringer his cursed sword, though who is the master out of two is unclear because the sword needs souls and by Elric slaying men it gets to feast. Sorcery also takes a toll on Elric's physical stamina, which reminded me of how Raistlin was in the Chronicles trilogy Elric may have been inspiration.

"While the Gods Laugh" is an interesting tale that delves into a bit of philosophy, Elric wanting to figure out his purpose and if there is a higher god than just those of Law and Chaos. Along the way he comes across Moonglum, who will become his companion through more tales. He sets out on a quest to find a book that was supposedly hurled into the sun by the gods of Law because the book was too dangerous, however the gods of Chaos intercepted the book in its flightpath, hiding it away. I was surprised that Elric actually made it to the final area as I was sure that there would be some catch and there was which made me feel a tad sad for him because of the unfortunate fate he has had in the first two short-stories.

In the "Stealer of Souls" another person who was close to Elric perishes as they, Elric, Moonglum, and the last of the Melnibone, attack a city that a wizard inhabits that Elric and the other Melnibone have sworn vengeance against. Elric does get his vengeance so all is not bad though Elric isn't as torn over the person who died this time than in "The Dreaming City".

Fate turns good for Elric in "Kings of Darkness" as he gains a wife, who he is very in love with and she survives the story! Elric also finds a plant/drug in the forest of Troos that gives him vitality allowing him to break away from Stormbringer. This drug allows him to settle down in his wife's city and lead a more normal and love-filled life. That is until in "The Caravan of Forgotten Dreams (originally titled The Flame Bringers) where an invading army is bearing down upon Elric's city. Elric and Moonglum, whose own home was mostly destroyed by this army, infiltrate the army by joining up with them; their goal is to somehow release a poweful wizard that Terarn Gashtek, leader of the army, has captured. This wizard, Drinij Bara would exact his revenge upon Gashtek's army if he was set free and Elric needs that magic strength because Karlaak's, the city where Elric lives, is not that strong militarily and the coucilmen do not take Elric's plea to evacuate. As to what happens I know not, because I haven't finished the short story.

More to come later...

Updates (5/18/2010): Soul-draining happened, as is the norm to Elric's enemies and friends/allies as well. The last four short stories in this volume were part of the bigger collection: Swordbringer. In these stories Elric finally learns what his destiny is and that it is monumental. I was saddened to hear the fate of Elric's world - to be destroyed and remade into the Earth today. In the "A Dead God's Homecoming", the Dead God told Elric that everything would be forgotten and that man would inherit the Earth but not the men of the Young Kingdoms, for their time was up as well. Man, the Dead God said, would possibly even degress, Moorcock hinting at the theory of evolution, and the re-evolve living in a world where Chaos is at a minimum and Law mostly in power. Moorcock created a world that I love but am sad over at the same time. I love the rich history the world had and the workings of the world, I love history and a rich lore usually captures my reader's heart. I am sad that the world would be destroyed and all memory of Elric and the old Gods would go with the "old Earth" and that the history of the old world would not be fully explored; I would've loved to read the whole history of Elric's world as such things interest me no matter how boring or bland it may be. The ending was definitely not a happy one, more of a cruel ending to the story of Elric as it had been with Elric's life.
    Last edited by Zargabaath; 05-18-2010 at 07:33 PM.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

I am currently reading The Tryanny of the Night (A novel of the Instrumentalities of the Night) by Glen Cook.

This is my first book that I'm reading from Glen Cook; his Black Company and this series interested me so I went with the Instrumentalities of the Night. Glen Cook decided to take real world cultures, religions, and history and put them all in this book. The first chapter begins with a funeral - a "viking" funeral and to make matters more scandinavian the names of the people and their towns are scandinavian. There are the arabs, with arabic names, that have are wanting the other ethnicities out of the holy lands. The usurper Patriarch has called for crusades to free the holy lands from the Sha-lug (arabs). The (catholic) church has two Patriarchs, just like when there was one in France and in Rome. There are the buddhist/hindu religion as well who are slowly converting the worshippers of the "church" by showing that they don't worship the evil of the night, as the church says, and are less materialistic & corrupt than the usurper church. Glen Cook also shows that a bishop in this "church" is "like/similiar" to some of the priesthood in the Catholic church: by motioning for a male servant to come over with a simple hand-gesture, not saying anything at all, said male servant gets up under the bishop's robes and begins to, " nurse with his soft lips and stroke with gentle fingers". It should also be noted that the church does not allow females into the priesthood and treats them as lesser, while the Maysaleans (buddhist/hindus) treat woman equally and allowing them into the ordained.

Else, the main character of this tale, kills off a bogun (demi-god) and sets into motion something only al-Azer er-Selim, Else's Master of Ghosts, realizes will change the world. Else upon his return home is rewarded with another dangerouns mission: to infiltrate the Brothren (the usurpers) religion because the Patriarch Sublime V is talking about launching a crusade to take back what Indala al-Sul Halaladin conquered in the holy lands.

I'm unsure on how I feel about Cook's decision to take so much from this world, its religious organizations and world cultures, and history and put them in a book. Is it a lack of imagination? Or a great job in creating a familiar yet distinct universe that is based on reality?

Edit June 10th: Well Else has gotten into the Collegium where he will be able to spy on the Brothe better. As a mercenary he was supposed to suppress the Maysaleans in Connec but that campaign ended in disaster. I was able to find an accurate comparison of what the coutries and organizations are in the book to their historical reference:

Some of the places appear to be:
    Brothe = Rome
    Andoray = Norway
    Connec = Langeudoc (Southern France)
    Friesland = Denmark
    Arnhand = France
    Calzir = Moorish North Africa
    Holy Lands = Holy Land
    Dreangar = Ottoman Turks
    Antieux or Khaurene = Toulouse
    Firaldia = Italy
    Santerin = England
    Sonsa = Venice
    Plemenza = probably Florence or Milan
    Vieran Sea = Adriatic
    Creveldia = Greece
    Eastern Empire = Byzantine Empire
    Mother Sea = Mediterranean
    Navaya = Spain or one of the pre-unification Spanish Kingdoms

People and Organizations
    Sha-lug = Janisssaries
    Grail Emperor = Holy Roman Emperor
    Patriarch of Brothe = Pope of Rome
    Principates of the Collegium = Papal Legates
    Chaldarean = Christians
    Brothen Patriarchy = Roman Catholic Church
    Deves = Jews
    Pramans = Muslims
    Maysalean Heresy = Albigensian Heresy = Cathars
    Duke Tormond = Raymond VI of Toulouse
    Braunsknechts = Landsknechts
    Brotherhood of War = Knights Templars and/or Hospitallers
    Johannes Blackboots = Frederick Barbarossa (Redbeard) with some changes
    Patriarch Sublime = mix of a couple Popes

I was wrong on the Maysalean heresy being hindu/budhis, how he wrote them did sound kind of like them, plus I had never heard of the Cathars before so the book taught me something new. This book is a fantasy spin on the crusades. I'm still a bit iffy on this but I do like the characters. So far the big plot hasn't been revealed so far, if any. But I will say that I am enjoying it more than when I first posted here, so that's good.

Edit July, 9th 2010:

I finished the book just a few moments ago; my overall evaluation of book 1 of The Instrumentalities of the Night was good. After I was able to get past the beginning where Cook established his world based upon an alternate version of the 12th-13 century Europe the novel became pretty enjoyable. There was plenty of political intrigue as many players had their own schemes and angles that Else Tage tried to discover. I'll pick up book 2 in this series which from the beginning of the novel should start off well since Cook shouldn't be establishing the world. I would say the main reason why I was so put off by the beginning was because I wasn't expecting an alternate history novel; I do like Harry Turtledove - the father of alternate history - but I expected an unique world not an alternate history. As I said though, once Cook was done with creating his alternate world I was able to enjoy the reading experience.
    Last edited by Zargabaath; 07-09-2010 at 01:06 PM.

Bananarama Currently Reading: Intellectual Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Right now I'm reading Moneyball: The Art of Winning An Unfair Game by Michael Lewis.

It's a baseball book, about how the Oakland A's general manager, Billy Beane, came to become the general manager, despite being one of the most highly touted baseball prospects in the history of the sport, and how he ultimately fizzled out as a player with an abysmal career.

The book goes into great detail about the foundations of baseball statistics, and how Beane totally disregards all but a few of them. The major theme around the book is how the A's, with a very tiny payroll, are still able to compete against teams with huge payrolls, and all of the superstars that they simply can't afford.

It goes into great detail about how Beane decides to pursue certain players that either: are beginning their decline, but are still efficient; totally disregarded by the baseball world, because they don't "look" like a baseball player; or a complete gamble. It's fascinating simply because he's able to do so much with so little.

I'd recommend it to any fan of the game.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Well I started and finished Dragons of the Hourglass Mage within a few hours. This book was writtten by the duo: Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman, verterans of the Dragonalnce saga.

This was the third book in the Lost Chronicles Trilogy which revealed untold stories that happened during the Chronicles Trilogy. As anybody who is familiar with the Chronicles Trilogy of Dragonlance, the Hourglass Mage the title is referring to is Raistlin Majere one of the most powerful mages ever created. The book is pretty short compared to their other works - only 334 pages; this book had been in some development "hell" and because of this some had said that this book was rushed. The book did have a fast pace as it accounted for the last month before the War of the Lance ended, nevertheless, I was still enthralled by the book, signified by me not putting the book down to eat breakfast till I was finished.

Out of the three Lost Chronicles novels this is my favourite as it was about one of my more favourite characters in the Dragonlance universe. Dragons of the Highlord Skies was good when it dealt the Laurana's fight against Feal-Thas, leader of the White Dragonarmy, and for the most part Kitiara's tale. The biggest blemish of that book was how quick Kitiara's trial in Dargaard Keep - a bit unclimatic. In Dragons of the Hourglass Mage, Raistlin has many obstalces and adversaries that he must overcome, the most significant to his character - Fistandantilus. Here fans will learn exactly how Raistlin was the victor in his battle against Fistandantilus for control of his own identity, though the Dark Queen thinks differently on the matter.

Blog Entries

I am currently reading Ares Express by Ian McDonald. I have read his work before; he wrote Cyberabad Days, a collection of short stories set in India in the year 2047. He has a very distinct writing style, which I do enjoy. I had some problems with Cyberabad Days but not enough to put me off from reading this book. I'll admit I bought it mainly because it has an absolutely gorgeous trade paperback cover.

I am only on page 23 or around there, so I'm still getting a feel for the book. The first chapter was a bit strange and off-putting in the style but as I learned from reading Clockwork Heart, sticking with a story can be very rewarding. The next chapter is written in a more normal style, to my eternal relief. Right now it's all very surreal and I'm not entirely sure what to make of it. I had pretty much the same reaction with Cyberabad Days, too.

Ares Express is actually a sequel to a book written in the 80s, titled Desolation Road. Yeah I know, I should have bought that one first. I decided not to because I don't often feel a real urge to read a specific book, but Ares is one of those. Any half decent writer will make a sequel accessible to new readers anyways, and Ian McDonald is not a decent writer, he's a great one. So I don't expect to be too lost, though parts of the first book will undoubtedly be spoiled. It's not the first time I've read books out of order and probably won't be the last.

~DragonHeart~

Started [and read a lot of] Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson. I got the book for the same reasons I got his debut novel - Elantris: he was chosen to succeed Robert Jordan in writing the end of the Wheel of Time series, I've heard good things about each book [Elantris & Warbreaker], & I wanted to see his own original work. Warbreaker does have one thing that made me a bit more interested in it than Elantris - it was chosen as a "Sci-Fi essential book" for the month it was released; it may not mean much (lack of competition), but I still held that recognition in some regard.

The world is quite unique with its "color" magic. There is magic in color which is used through "Breath"; each person as one "breath" though they may gain more through other means. If a person has no "breath" they become drab, becoming dull. Accumulating a certain amount of "breaths" can result in achieving a "heightening" - the more breaths the higher the "heightening". There are 10 levels and each one grants the holder of the accumulated breaths a new ability. To be of the first heightening a person must hold 50 breaths while for the fifth heightening requires 2,000 (reaching the fifth heightening grants the user immortality. A person loses their breaths by performing awakenings that bring inanimate objects to life; though metal is the toughest inanimate object to bring to life and is an ability that the higher echelons of the heightenings know.

Most of the characters are pretty good and in each story arc in this tale there is a or some mysterious that have got me intrigued and wanted to find out their answers. I love Lightsong, a god of bravery, who tries everything to be seen as useless and has some very funny dialogue. But the humour is not limited to him because there is the very mysterious Vasher, whom has lived for a long time (and from the front flap is trying to correct the mistakes he made hundreds of years ago; it would be also worth mentioning that the front flap calls him Vasher the Warbreaker), has a mysterious sword that is able to drain the color out of people - I forsee this as a way to kill the gods but that is my theory - called Nightblood which is pretty fun as well. The last bit of comedy comes from the mercenary group led by Denth - who has a mysterious past as well ( I'm thinking he too as well has lived for a very long time along with Vasher). Denth has sworn to kill Vasher because Vasher killed one of his mates some time ago.

I've been revealed some secrets but Vasher and Denth are still in the dark and am eager to find out their past.

Edit July 12th 2010:

After writing this post I picked the book up and finished it - I had around 200 pages left. I noticed some similiarities between the plot and characters of Elantris, Sanderson's debut novel, and this novel (won't get into detail); though there may have been some similiaritities Warbreaker was still unique on its own. Good news is I found out all the secrets that I wanted to know. The ending was generally good though there were some sad moments; the ending also leaves an opening for a sequel. I wouldn't mind reading more into the Warbreaker universe as BioChroma magic is very interesting though I still do have some questions about it. With completing my second novel of Sanderson's original work I will say that I have been thoroughly impressed - along with his handling of book 12 of the Wheel of Time - and he probably will be an author I keep track of in the future.
    Last edited by Zargabaath; 07-12-2010 at 02:55 PM.

Elloewen Currently Reading: Intellectual ultimatekupo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Telegraph View Post
    I'm currently reading Wild at Heart by John Eldredge. In my group of friends, several people have already read it, and they strongly suggested that I should read it myself. It's a heavily Christian-themed book, about the heart of men in today's society, and I'm a little more than halfway through it now.

The basic concept is that men are meant to be dangerous. That doesn't mean we are meant to be dangerous in a bad way, however. An analogy he uses in the book is that of a gun; it could be used to either harm or protect. He also uses the analogy of a lion being kept in a small cage in a zoo in the city that he lives in, and how it seems incredibly sad, and has lost its luster in life to be kept there. Basically, many men are living similar to these lions; society wants us to act in a more feminine manner than we are meant to live.

He has also been discussing the wound, how every man has one, and how it often times is inflicted on us by our father. Our father, he says, is who we ask the question to: whether we are men or not. If our father says no, or something more damaging, or is not even present to lead us there, then we may have no way to tell whether we are a man or not. The wound is usually something that you're afraid of confronting, so he suggests you confront that wound head on. He also suggests that you invite the Lord there to help you heal that wound.

This book has been a bit inspiring to me. I do not know that I am doing it proper justice with my description of it; it might best be approached by reading it yourself, if you are curious. Even if you are not Christian, I think many of these messages can be utilized in your life. I'm only halfway through, so maybe I'll edit this post and add my final thoughts to it later. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

What I found to be the most inspiring message in Wild at Heart, was the perspective on God. John E. Shows his love of adventure, and it answered some questions for me, like why bad things happen to good people, or why the best things never come easy. They wouldn't be as good if there weren't an adventure. Since I read that book I have been able to see God in people, and it has helped me to understand people more. Why men do some of the unexplainable things that they do lol. It was a great read. I have read many of his books. I definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for a fresh perspective. I agree that it is indeed very inspiring.
    "There is a special providence in the fall of a sparrow" -Shakespeare

Blog Entries

Haven't finished Ares Express yet. No real reason, it's just sitting on my shelf waiting for me to get back to it.

In the meantime I started and finished The Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen yesterday. If you've seen the previews or the episodes for the show Rizzoli and Isles, it's based on the series that begins with this book. I was a bit surprised when reading; Rizzoli isn't the main character of the first book and Isles isn't in it at all. I haven't seen the show (on purpose) so I don't know how closely it follows the books. I'm guessing not that closely, considering the subject matter.

The Surgeon is, first and foremost, not for the squeamish. It is for people who like crime thrillers, particularly ones that really get into the suspects' mind. Literally; there are several passages written in the villian's POV. I would give it five stars, but for one small but irritating blemish; the constant feminist thoughts on how much harder it is to be a woman cop, how the male cops don't respect them, blah blah blah. Show don't tell, and don't be bringing it up every other chapter. It may be part of the character(s) but it was just too overdone. If she'd just tone that part down it would easily be one of my favorite books of the year.

After I finished The Surgeon, I went ahead and picked up The Apprentice, the second book in the series. Unfortunately I can't really say anything about this book without spoiling the first. So far it's as compelling, with the same darkness as the first.

~DragonHeart~

Blog Entries

Currently Reading: Let Me In(Originally Lat den Ratte Komma in or 'Let the right one in') by John Ajvide Lindqvist.

This is a Swedish horror novel about a child vampire and a small deranged boy that she befriends. Once called the "Swedish Stephen King", Lindqvist has a rough hewn and philosophically blue style and atmosphere. The setting is so well established that you get a definite sense of this arctic dark wild west-esque town.

I personally love translated novels; as a general rule it says something about, if not the quality, the popularity. The prose is well-tempered and even though I can't find any info on the translator(It may well be Mr. Lindqvist) I am envious of their talent.

I am considering boycotting the American release movie coming out this October. After all, it's insulting to suggest either that the original movie needed a retelling or that the American public need a different version. And from what I can tell it is a carbon copy with two or three major plot detail omitted. Even so much as to copy certain scenes.

Those of you who are wanting to watch it this Halloween, you may want to stay home and watch the movie "Let the Right One In" instead.

I just finished Dearly Devoted Dexter by Jeff Lindsey. What can I say other than it's brilliance is awe inspiring. The character of Dexter is so sarcastic and witty, that it's a real treat. He's like a serial murderer version of Archie Goodwin or Hawkeye Pierce. The experience is not for the sensitive or easily disturbed at all. It's hardcore.

-Sin
    Last edited by Sinister; 09-29-2010 at 02:43 PM.

TFFF Ghost Currently Reading: Intellectual Howling Wind's Avatar

I feel awkward because I am reading an eBook. It's actually by someone I kinda met once or twice. It sells for 99 cents and its actually good. I mean, it is a young adult book so I guess I can relate but I think even older people would like it. Its new. Like modern literature so it isn't classical stuff like Little Women (love that book) but this is really good in its own way. Its not a really long book. I'm at Chapter 6 right now and its getting exciting =D

Since its a eBook I can probably actually post a link to it. I downloaded the 50% sample first but wanted to read the rest so I had to bug my mom to let me spend my own money on it (only 99 cents after all). Its the first eBook I have read (besides Little Women of course) but I would really like to read it on a eReader like Sony or iPad over my computer screen. Kinda gets to my eyes after a bit >.<

Smashwords - Dangerous Drop - A book by Christopher Gibbon

Link if anyone is interested. You can laugh if you want but I am a kid after all
    Spit out your stride gum and chew another piece already... or I'll haunt you.

Blog Entries

There's nothing wrong with liking YA literature. One of the best books I've read this year is YA. Being written to appeal to a younger audience (or being modern, for that matter) does not inherently make a book lesser in status than say, a classic adult novel.

Also, the iPad won't be any easier to read on than a computer because it has a backlit screen. You'll want one that uses eInk like the Sony reader, nook or the Kindle. (The latter I don't recommend for various reasons, but it is a very popular eReader.)

Anyways, I'm reading A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest Gaines. Yes, it is for class but unlike most books I've been forced to read, I actually do find it interesting. Alas, I can't really read ahead so I'm stuck reading only a few chapters at a time. Only just started but so far I find myself both engrossed and repulsed at the same time. I really can't comprehend the attitude of the whites in the time period of the book.

~DragonHeart~

TFFF Ghost Currently Reading: Intellectual Howling Wind's Avatar

Yeah you're right. Its not the backlit part that is giving me the eye hurts though its that the screen is so big and bright I can't really turn it down. I read on a iPad once and the screen is small enough and you can turn it down really low and it helps a lot. Still... e-ink is better.

Anyway... I remember when I was 9 and 10 I used to read a bunch of Nancy Drew books =D
    Spit out your stride gum and chew another piece already... or I'll haunt you.

Blog Entries

I am currently rereading possibly the greatest book in the history of words and letters. I just bought a special original hard-back copy that set me back a considerable amount of money, even though I'm close to dead broke. I wouldn't want an original copy of any other book, though.

The King in Yellow by Robert Chambers is a book. At first it appears to be just a collection of short stories, all amateur reviewers of this book call it that. The irony that you realize as you read it, is that it is not the actual book "The King in Yellow". The actual "King in Yellow" is supposed to be a script for a play that the book concerns itself with. The contents of the play are not made clear to the reader, but it's effects are. The play will cause anyone who reads it to go completely insane. Every time you see a copy of the play on someone's desk or in someone's library in this book, you immediately start to mistrust them and become apprehensive. They're obviously insane...what horrible things have they done that you don't know about yet?

Eventually you realize that in all of the stories, the book is a common character and you start imagining that the stories take some sort of chronological order, but you can't place them.

Spoiler:
    After you've read this book as many times as I have, you catch on to a pretty chilling fact. The book is the play, the play is the book. It's all one gruesome disfigured entity looking at you as you read it. You're infected too, you've read the King in Yellow.

Obviously this book spawned the cliche of the "thing will turn you crazy" media. The movies, Cigarette Burns and In the Mouth of Madness are just the aftereffects caught in the contrails of this masterpiece.

As to the Eponymous "King in Yellow"? He has returned.

-KiY
    Last edited by Sinister; 11-23-2010 at 10:37 PM.

All evil will see the light Currently Reading: Intellectual Assassin's Avatar

Currently reading: Angel Of Death by Jack Higgins
    M reading the book coz my mom told me about the writer so i thought to search for some of his books and I saw this one.

30 January 1972. Thirteen die in Londonderry in an incident that will paralyse Northern Ireland for nearly a quarter of a century.
    30 January 1994. A sinister organization named after bloody Sunday begins all-out war across two continents. Its objective: to create chaos and anarchy. Its average - the Angel Of Death ...
    The series of professionally executed killings shock government agencies and terrorist organizations alike. The targets appear to be everyone: the KGB. the CIA, the IRA ... even a famous East End gangster.
    Who are January 30? And where will they strike next?
    As the Northern Ireland peace process gathers momentum, Whitehall and Washington decide to act swiftly to annihilate the threat. A job for Sean Dillon, the most ruthless enforcer of them all.

Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

Asking all the personal questions. Currently Reading: Intellectual RamesesII's Avatar
    I am a god, where ever the hell I please.
    Blog Entries

Currently reading and almost finished 'Hunger Games' by Suzanne Collins.

I'm not sure if it is a post apocalyptic world or just in the distant future but the references to our current time are few and far between.
    What I do know is the author came up with the idea of the hunger games when watching news stories, she was flicking through and saw people fighting and kids fighting hunger to survive and a spark lit up about a grisly idea about kids fighting in a gladiator like arena controlled by a dictatorship city to make an example of surrounding towns that are forced to supply resources to this said city so they can live a lavish life without having to rely on un-reliable politics.

Any way the story revolves and evolves around Katniss Everdeen a young teenager who has been drawn along with a boy from her district of which there are 12 districts in total to compete in the publicly televised Hunger Games.
    Towards the end she realises that in order to save the future generations of district children something needs to be done she can't stand by and watch children slaughtered every year for the entertainment of eccentric population.
    A mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer.
    --Ancient Egyptian Wisdom, 2200 B.C.

Crao Porr Cock8, Go and get a Cock8 up ya.

The finer details of a signature:

CHE- "I pee sitting down after I have sex because for some reason after I have sex and I try to pee, it goes everywhere."
    Nuff said^

My loving TFF Family:

My beautiful go-go dancing Queen Aara
    My brother Meier Link, proudly supporting the World Wide Institute of Booze since 1982.
    My Spasmodic, spamtastic, spammer nephew Fate.
    My brother HUNK, he who wears the number 1 headband.
    My glowing Goddess of Egyptian thingy's, Unknown Entity.
    My Unique and unpredictable mother Kilala ^^.
    My little arcade freak brother nra4.
    My brother Captain of the Dragoon warriors, Mallick.
    My razzle, dazzle, razamatic, razphony brother Ralz
    My younger brother Ryu-Kentoshii Hirokima, the Legendary Samurai who Doesn't take "No" for an Answer.

Literature:

Recently read-
    Belgariad- David Eddings

Currently Reading-
    The Tournament by Matthew Reilly

Gaming:

Currently PLaying

-Minecraft
    - ASS Creed III

Kiss with a fist. Currently Reading: Intellectual Dranzer's Avatar

just finished...
    Under the Dome by Stephen King

'Kay so, I just finished this book literally twenty minutes ago, and I have to say it's one of the best King books I have ever read (there's been quite a few). With a plethora of characters, he was able to tell his story vividly and flawlessly. The first few pages I found to be riveting and by page five I found myself already sucked into the town of Chester's Mill and its residents. It was really interesting to examine the potential, and very real chaos that can rear its ugly head during a very big crisis such as being cut off from the outside world. Again, King was able to portray this beautifully without flaws; I'm left feeling sad that my read is over.

currently reading...
    a Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

I will edit this later as I haven't even started it yet, I must bed soon as wtf o'clock approaches (yet again). However, I'm 100% sure that this is next on my reading list - if I like it so will the entire series.
    Last edited by Dranzer; 11-25-2011 at 11:32 PM.

soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur
    happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr.
    PRK9 ♥ Prestige+ ♥ GDEAA

Blog Entries

A Game of Thrones is a great series, but I warn you in advance not to get too attached to anyone. Also, the TV show is fantastic and follows the books quite closely, from what I've seen so far anyways.

I'm just starting The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume I by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I don't read much of the classics because I find older writing styles off-putting, but considering how consumed I've been with Sherlock Holmes in various incarnations recently it seemed a natural progression. I just finished the very first Holmes story ever published, A Study in Scarlet. Interesting enough, though I'm a bit surprised at how little happens throughout the story. I'm already starting to think that visual media, like the fantastic BBC series Sherlock, is a much better medium for this sort of character. But we'll see.

I'm currently reading The Awakening by Kate Chopin because it was one of my English teacher's suggested titles when I asked for things to read. She ended up giving me a list of feminist works, and after enjoying My Antonia and A Doll's House, I figured it was safe for me to keep working my way down the list.

By no means is it a difficult read, but there's so much packed into it that I end up scribbling notes all over everything (I take notes in my books when I read because I feel like I have to in order to analyze properly). I'm nearly done, so I should come back to edit this sometime soon with my conclusion. What I will say now is that they don't hand out the title "classic" for nothing. Reading this book is like walking through a lazy summer day in a dream (and that's a good thing).

Registered User Currently Reading: Intellectual fierytempest's Avatar

I'm currently reading The Lost Hero which is the first book in the Heroes of Olympus series, which is the sister series to the Percy Jackson series.

Reading this because I just needed something fun and not too deep (although these series definitely have some adult themes, even if they're children's books.) I find the characters in these books fun and relatable, even if they are 5 or 6 years younger than I am.

After I finish this book, and the second book in the series, I'm thinking of reading Love in the Time of Cholera. I haven't read "serious" literature in awhile, and mostly because I've seen the movie several times, but I've never read the book. Although the reviews on GoodReads for that books are so bad. I guess I'm just a masochist.

Lover I don't play to win, but for the thrill until I'm spent.

*points to my sig*

I read G.R.R.'s song of ice and fire, then read a bunch of random nonfiction books here and there (mostly arguements for atheism, philosophical ideals, etc) and then picked up Asimov and didn't stop until I finished from I, Robot to Foundation and Earth, then read Sagan's Contact (which was okay-ish) then Clark's 2001 through 3001 odysseys.

Now I'm reading Wheel of Time. I'm 40 pages in (according to my nook) the first book and haven't really decided what I think of it yet.

Blog Entries
    Is that book what the movie of the same name is based on? Movie was great up until the last what, fifteen minutes or so. Bah.

I'm between books right now, just can't decided what I want to read. I hate it when that happens. I did sort of start Turing's Cathderal, a nonfiction book about the history of the computer. I'm just not sure if I really want to read it right now. If I don't I'll come back to it later. I'm just wondering if maybe I would be better served learning more about Turing himself first.

Blog Entries
    I'm currently reading The Stand for the first time. Also, it's the extended cut version. So it's like 1100+ pages. But it's really good so far, and I kinda like that there's no end in sight. I've been reading for about 280 pages. For the first 150 or so, things just seemed like random events and characters that were connected by a deadly flu virus. Now, things are starting to come together, shit is starting to get real. I'm not sure if it's a horror book or just a general disaster book, but then again, I'm not that far into the book. I really like the characters of Larry Underwood, Stu Redman, Frannie Goldsmith and Peter Goldsmith
    SPOILER!!:
    RIP
    the deaf/mute kid, and I'm fascinated by the Walkin Dude, Trashcan Man, and Lloyd (forget his last name). Lots of horrible things the characters are doing to each other.

Before that, I read Forbidden by Ted Dekker and Tosca Lee. I guess there's a sequel out called "Mortal," but the BX isn't carrying that one *shrug* It's a kind of post apocalytpic medieval world where the only emotion that exists anymore is fear, and a group of characters (the main ones) are drawn into a plot to bring the other emotions back. There were really vivid descriptions of emotions in this book. and a person feeling them for the first time. Also, there's some good suspense and action, and to me, a fairly unique world. Feels like a fairly unique idea anyway (aside from the movie Equilibrium-shutup). Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4