Thread: The Best Limit Breaks?

Duke of Sabre de LaGrange The Best Limit Breaks? Thristle15's Avatar

The Best Limit Breaks?

Intro:
    Okay, so I've always been wondering which limit breaks were the best, especially since there is the stupid damage limit of 9,999... If every hit gets 9,999, then obviously the limit break with the most hits is the best one. And the weakest limit breaks become the ones that only do one hit, sometimes causing the level 3 limit break to be more powerful than the level 4 one. However, if you can use a gameshark code to "remove" the limit (aka: increase to 65,535), then just raw power is the winner of the most damage. If you do the Vincent or Barret overflow glitch, then obviously their limit breaks would be the most powerful.

Under normal circumstances, but with the 65,535 damage limit, then a limit break that has the highest potential should be the most powerful. However, the choice of which characters and which limit breaks to use is ultimately up to the player. I'm just one of those people that want to use a cool looking and strong limit break with an enjoyable (sexy is okay too ) character.

Enough of the intro... now into my opinion as to the best limit break in Final Fantasy VII!

*The following characters, in my opinion, are too weak or their limit breaks are too annoying/non-useful, and therefore, will not be mentioned any further*
    • Aerith/Aeris - IDC about invincibility or healing, plus she's weak
    • Cait Sith - Hate using him and his limit break
    • Vincent - Fun to use, but limit breaks are stupid and not fun (since I don't get to use him anymore)

Best(?) Limit Breaks:

*Note: There is always a chance for a critical hit, except for certain limit breaks that I have denoted that automatically do critical hits*
    *Note2: All numbers are derived from the stats in the limit breaks section in Terence Fergusson's Party Mechanics Guide on GameFAQs*
    *Note3: I'm only going by the information I saw and how I interpreted the information. The game mechanics might actually be different, so someone correct me if I'm wrong*

Cloud
    Level 4
    Omnislash
    Hits: 15
    Total Damage: 22.5x Base Damage*
    Max Damage (w/ 9,999 limit): 149,985**
    *Every hit is a critical: e.g. Deathblow. Without the criticals, the damage would be 11.25x Base Damage... if I correctly assume that a critical hit is double the damage (if I'm wrong, then use the 11.25x when calculating and multiply by the "critical constant")*
    **Tied with Doom of the Living!**
    Level 3
    Meteorain
    Hits: 6*
    Total Damage: 10.05x Base Damage*
    Max Damage (w/ 9,999 limit): 59,994*
    *Although Meteorain is pretty good, it's nowhere near as strong as Omnislash.. but I felt the need to include it since it's cool *

Barret
    Level 4
    Catastrophe
    Hits: 10*
    Total Damage: 12.5x Base Damage*
    Max Damage (w/ 9,999 limit): 99,990*
    *A higher damage potential than Ungermax/Angermax, yet less damage with the damage limit of 9,999!*
    Level 3
    Ungermax/Angermax
    Hits: 18*
    Total Damage: 9x Base Damage*
    Max Damage (w/ 9,999 limit): 179,982*
    *See? A low damage potential, but if at the damage limit of 9,999, then it is tied with Highwind for the highest max damage*

Tifa
    Level 4
    Final Heaven (Plus preceding)
    Hits: 7
    Total Damage: 24.2x - 12.1x - 0x Base Damage*
    Max Damage (w/ 9,999 limit): 69,993
    *Okay, so the 24.2x is if you hit all "Yeah!", 12.1 is if you hit all "Hit", and 0 if you hit all "Miss"... Of course you will most likely get values in-between these set intervals, so luck can make the limit be strong, average, or horrible*

Red XIII
    Level 4
    Cosmo Memory
    Hits: 1*
    Total Damage: 7.8125x - 15.625x - 23.475x - 31.25x - 39.0625x - 46.875x Base Damage*
    Max Damage (w/ 9,999 limit): 9,999 - 19,998 - 29,997 - 39,996 - 49,995 - 59,994*
    *These are potential damage values, which depend on the number of enemies present! So, the damage multiplier is the first value, and the number of enemies starts at one, and increases to the next value as the number of enemies increases. Basically, if there are six enemies, you get 46.875x Base Damage. And yes, I think you can battle up to six enemies!*
    Level 3
    Earth Rave
    Hits: 5*
    Total Damage: 9.375x Base Damage*
    Max Damage (w/ 9,999 limit): 49,995*
    *I know what you're thinking: "REALLY?? THIS LIMIT SUCKS!!" .. But I think it's really cool looking.. so I keep it in here *

Yuffie
    Level 4
    All Creation
    Total Damage: 8x - 16x - 24x - 32x - 40x - 48x Base Damage* **
    Max Damage (w/ 9,999 limit): 9,999 - 19,998 - 29,997 - 39,996 - 49,995 - 59,994*
    *These are potential damage values, which depend on the number of enemies present! So, the damage multiplier is the first value, and the number of enemies starts at one, and increases to the next value as the number of enemies increases. Basically, if there are six enemies, you get 48x Base Damage. And yes, I think you can battle up to six enemies!*
    **The highest damage potential in the game!? Too bad the damage limit renders this almost useless! Also, the super high potential is due to having so many enemies..**
    Level 3
    Gauntlet
    Total Damage: 3.5x - 7x - 10.5x - 14x - 17.5x - 21x Base Damage* **
    *These are potential damage values, which depend on the number of enemies present! So, the damage multiplier is the first value, and the number of enemies starts at one, and increases to the next value as the number of enemies increases. Basically, if there are six enemies, you get 21x Base Damage. And yes, I think you can battle up to six enemies!*
    **Every hit is a critical: e.g. Deathblow. Without the criticals, the damage would be 1.75x Base Damage (per enemy)... if I correctly assume that a critical hit is double the damage (if I'm wrong, then use the 1.75x when calculating and multiply by the "critical constant")**
    Level 3
    Doom of the Living
    Hits: 15*
    *Bloodfest is 5 less hits (just an FYI)*
    Total Damage: 10.125x Base Damage
    Max Damage (w/ 9,999 limit): 149,985**
    **Tied with Omnislash!**

Cid
    Level 4
    Highwind
    Hits: 18*
    Total Damage: 12.375x Base Damage
    Max Damage (w/ 9,999 limit): 179,982*
    *Tied with Ungermax/Angermax for highest damage with the 9,999 damage limit*
    Level 3
    Dragon Dive
    Hits: 6*
    Total Damage 8.625x Base Damage*
    Max Damage (w/ 9,999 limit): 59,994*
    Effect: 28% Chance of Death*
    *Why include this one? Because of the Death potential!*

Final Thoughts:
    So the following are a few good parties based on my observations of the damage done by the limit breaks:
    Normal Battle (9,999 damage limit)
    Cloud (Omnislash), Barret (Ungermax/Angermax), Cid (Highwind)
    Yuffie (Doom of the Living), Barret (Ungermax/Angermax), Cid (Highwind)
    3 Or More Enemies (no damage limit)
    Red XIII (Cosmo Memory), Yuffie (All Creation), Tifa (if all "Yeah!")
    Red XIII (Cosmo Memory), Yuffie (All Creation), Cloud (Omnislash)

I really enjoy a lot of the limit breaks in Final Fantasy VII, so that's why it's hard for me to choose. That is also why I took all these hours to type up this super long (at least, it feels long.. and that isn't what she said) post. Yes, I did in fact type this all by myself!

© Thristle15
    (Not really, but still.. please don't plagiarize!)
    Last edited by Thristle15; 05-17-2011 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Forgot a * ..lol

Re: The Best Limit Breaks?

I like Cloud's Omnislash and Meteorain, for the multi-target heavy damage. Also liked Aeris' Fury Brand, since it automatically fills the other two characters' limit bars, which is very nice.

I'll find you, no matter what. The Best Limit Breaks? FeyLenne13's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like Cloud's Omnislash too but I have to say that Blade Beam is one of my favorites to use since I end up in a lot of outnumbered fights. One on One (or I guess three since its the team) and I would take Omnislash but otherwise, I chose Blade Beam. Oh yeah, all of Tifa's reels (if you can get them), Yuffie's All Creation, and Red XIII's Comso Memory rock too

Trust Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cereal~Killer View Post
    I like Cloud's Omnislash and Meteorain, for the multi-target heavy damage. Also liked Aeris' Fury Brand, since it automatically fills the other two characters' limit bars, which is very nice.
    I've never liked using Aeris, so I just filled her in with someone else. I'd be fine with having a few less limit breaks if I could just not have to deal with her

Quote Originally Posted by FeyLenne13 View Post
    I like Cloud's Omnislash too but I have to say that Blade Beam is one of my favorites to use since I end up in a lot of outnumbered fights. One on One (or I guess three since its the team) and I would take Omnislash but otherwise, I chose Blade Beam. Oh yeah, all of Tifa's reels (if you can get them), Yuffie's All Creation, and Red XIII's Comso Memory rock too
    Blade Beam is really bad compared to Omnislash, lol

The Math
    Blade Beam
    Hits: 1 +Diffusion*
    Total Damage: 3.5x + 1x + 1x... Base Damage*
    *The "beam" hits one opponent for 3.5x Base Damage, then it "diffuses" to hit all the other opponents for 1x Base Damage. This gives a potential of 8.5x Base Damage if you battled 6 enemies. Omnislash has a higher potential than this, although Blade Beam is guaranteed to hit all the opponents, while Omnislash just has a good chance to.*

I know you dislike using Aeris Thristle lol but can someone tell me what her final limit break does?? I've never used a guide in ANY Final Fantasy and I'm not about to. Even to find out. Yes, I'm as stubborn as a puppy. And I'm going to have to be stubborn and not delete this post, but improve it. Lol...

Personal faves were obviously Omnislash - pure pwnage, Tifa's reels - always hit them right , Cait sith - amusing to play. All the Limit Breaks are effective in some way, I just picked the ones I enjoyed getting.

And are we including the 8 limit breaks?

Oh and by the way, how did you work at the damage equations? Is it posted online or did you work it out yourself?
    Last edited by Superjord; 05-10-2011 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superjord View Post
    I know you dislike using Aeris Thristle lol but can someone tell me what her final limit break does?? I've never used a guide in ANY Final Fantasy and I'm not about to. Even to find out.
    Aren't you contradicting yourself by asking someone? Since getting information from someone could be considered a "guide". Anyway, Aeris' final limit break is "Great Gospel", which completely restores everyone's HP and MP, and makes them invincible for like 30 seconds or so, I think.

And are we including the 8 limit breaks?
    Huh? What do you mean?

Oh and by the way, how did you work at the damage equations? Is it posted online or did you work it out yourself?
    I got basic information from a guide, but I did the actual calculations myself. Also, I told you what to search for in my "Note2", right before the list of the limit breaks.

Lol I edited my post after realising how contradicting I sound XD

I meant the limit breaks from 8, I didn't know if the thread was just about VII or not. Wouldn't want to change the topic lol.

And touché, that'll teach me for skim reading.

I meant the limit breaks from 8, I didn't know if the thread was just about VII or not. Wouldn't want to change the topic lol.
    Well, I was talking about only VII, since I haven't played any other game with limit breaks

Quote Originally Posted by Thristle15 View Post
    Well, I was talking about only VII, since I haven't played any other game with limit breaks
    Ok, fair enough

Registered User The Best Limit Breaks? Diamond Dust's Avatar

Very interesting article and very informative assuming the mathematics are correct. As it isn't my area of expertise I will just take your word for it!

Ominislash there is no contest!!! But Cid's Highwind is pretty cool though.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dust View Post
    Very interesting article and very informative assuming the mathematics are correct. As it isn't my area of expertise I will just take your word for it!
    Ahh, I was hoping for some insight in that area xD

Quote Originally Posted by markandrewkinzett View Post
    Ominislash there is no contest!!! But Cid's Highwind is pretty cool though.
    Barret's Catastrophe is kinda cool too, but I just hate using him

I have no idea what any of Cait Sith's limit breaks are. I hate that character so much, I NEVER use him, except for the one point that I have to. I like to pretend he doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Cereal~Killer View Post
    I have no idea what any of Cait Sith's limit breaks are. I hate that character so much, I NEVER use him, except for the one point that I have to. I like to pretend he doesn't exist.
    You have no idea how happy I was that I thought he was gonna die in the Temple of the Ancients, lol

Blog Entries

lol okay Thristle15 consider me schooled

Trust Me.

Quote Originally Posted by FeyLenne13 View Post
    lol okay Thristle15 consider me schooled
    ohh, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings!

Blog Entries

nah, you're fine lol. I've just been playing FFVII lately and I've gone from Blade Beam to Omnislash and after a few times of using the latter, I got to thinking that Omnislash is so much better than Blade Beam

Trust Me.

I actually like Cloud's Omnislash. It was a bit hard to get, but it certainly is worth the trouble.

Blog Entries

I know what you mean, it took me three hours one time to get Omnislash but it was completely worth it

Trust Me.

Omnislah
    Tifa's Limits
    Barret
    Cid

That was about it really...

Registered User The Best Limit Breaks?

I like Cid's Highwind, Not often you see a airship with several cannons on its side.

Quote Originally Posted by FFGamer86 View Post
    I like Cid's Highwind, Not often you see a airship with several cannons on its side.
    Yea dude Cids is one of the best, alongside Omnislash and Barrets, I forget what berrets is called but it causes multi damage as well.

Registered User The Best Limit Breaks? Dimwitted's Avatar

Bext combo ive senn would be cloud with omni slash , yuffies doom of the living and red XIIIs earth rave, if you can level em enough and make them have the fury status with hypers they just destroy the enemy ha, almost every boss i come across with those three gets owned near enough straight away ha except quite obviosly the weapons those guys are evil ha
    I have a life, I just choose not to use it

Omnislash has the most hits but is restricted by only targeting one enemy (if memory serves me right). Meteorain on the other hand can hit multiple targets, plus looks good in my opinion
    Spoiler:
    My TFF Family:

My TFF girlfriend who hearts root beer - Chocobo_Lover 17
    My brother of honourable justice - Judge Magistrate
    My Canadian sister who travels the skies- R.Kyra
    My nameless brother of legend - Hero without a Name
    My brother, the Gunblade master - Lion Heart
    My supernatural sister of mysterious intrigue - belleZ