Thread: Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U

Spoony Bard
    Recurring Mini-Boss
    Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U Incognitus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U

Well... it's that time, folks. There's no longer any speculation as to what characters/items/levels/modes/etc will be included in the game. Since Super Smash Bros has been released on at least one platform worldwide, it deserves its own thread at this point. How many of you have the 3DS version or will be getting it? How many of you are planning to get the Wii U version when it comes out (still currently without a solid release date)? My plan is to get both versions so I am able to play all of my friends. Plus there's an awesome soundtrack CD offer for buying them both, so it's like a double win for me. I love collecting stuff like that!

I've been playing through the 3DS version like crazy---it felt like it was all I did yesterday---and I'm having fun with it. I have unlocked all of the secret characters (but won't name them in case anyone was avoiding spoilers) and completed all of the challenges except maybe three. All the different modes are fantastic. Kind of confusing to navigate at first, but like all things you'll learn it rather quickly. As for the characters I am working on: 1) Little Mac is a beast!! Terrible recovery moves, though. That will take a little bit of practice to master. 2) Mega Man is as good as I thought. 3) [SECRET CHARACTER], a.k.a. my Mr. Reliable, I have not had much time to try out yet. Hopefully no drastic changes were made.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U-ssb4art-jpg
    Hero façade. Villain at heart.

The Old Skool Warrior Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    F'n Bowser, man. It's about time I can genuinely utilize him as a main. Kirby is just different enough that he might lose my top spot.

~ sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

Kirby always.

Only reason I don't touch him in Melee is because he's the worst...
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Pikachu is pretty beast. Easiest for me to do special attacks for some reason. Then again, I'm a noob in this game.

Spoony Bard
    Recurring Mini-Boss
    Blog Entries

Can we talk about this? We need to talk about this!

God DAMN, there are a LOT of differences between the games!

A LOT!

I am glad I planned to buy both versions. The WiiU version has a veritable shit-ton of stuff I'm interested in doing. Plus I can use my 3DS as a controller. Sweet!

EDIT:

Mewtwo.
    Last edited by Incognitus; 10-23-2014 at 04:53 PM.

Consistently Average Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U Kurt Zisa's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I bought the 3DS version the other day and I haven't been able to put it down, it's so addictive!

I learnt the ropes with Lucario (it's my first Smash Bros.) and so far I've tried Greninja, Mega Man, Samus, Toon Link and Diddy and Donkey Kong with varying success. I love all the noises that Mage Man's attacks make as well as his KO tune, it brings back all that nostalgia. Had a bit of trouble using him though, same as Samus. I guess it's because they're better at mid to long range?
    Currently Playing:
    Pillars of Eternity (PC)

I play Magic! See what decks im playing or building here!

They should've added Final Fantasy characters, like the classic black mage.

Blog Entries
    This game has been out for a while now, so hopefully everyone has unlocked all the secret characters and we don't have to worry about spoilers.

Who's your favourite character to play as now that you've been able to give the game a thorough go?

What do you think about the new additions, are there any characters that stand out or are there any that you feel don't add much to the line-up?

I'm really enjoying Smash Run, it's a bit hectic but once you get some good powerups and equipment it becomes much eaiser to get those bonuses. All Stars is a lot of fun too but I keep getting really close to the end and then falling off the stage one way or another. So I've only been able to clear it on Easy so far. I like to change it up with using different characters but so far I've had the most success with DK, Captain Falcon and Samus.

Anyone customised fighters with new moves?
    Currently Playing:
    Pillars of Eternity (PC)

Spoony Bard
    Recurring Mini-Boss
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Zisa View Post
    This game has been out for a while now, so hopefully everyone has unlocked all the secret characters and we don't have to worry about spoilers.

Who's your favourite character to play as now that you've been able to give the game a thorough go?

What do you think about the new additions, are there any characters that stand out or are there any that you feel don't add much to the line-up?

I'm really enjoying Smash Run, it's a bit hectic but once you get some good powerups and equipment it becomes much eaiser to get those bonuses. All Stars is a lot of fun too but I keep getting really close to the end and then falling off the stage one way or another. So I've only been able to clear it on Easy so far. I like to change it up with using different characters but so far I've had the most success with DK, Captain Falcon and Samus.

Anyone customised fighters with new moves?
    I'm taking a break from the game, both from anticipating the Wii U version that will drop in just over a week and also trying to save my 3DS left joystick from utter destruction. From what I understand, content like trophies and custom moves do not transfer between the versions, so I have no reason to try and get everything on this version of the game when the Wii U version is the one I'll be playing mostly.

To answer your questions in no particular order:

My favorite characters right now are Mega Man, Bowser Jr. (Ludwig costume), Robin... and begrudgingly, Duck Hunt Dog. Little Mac fell out of favor with me when I couldn't establish a good way to play with him. His recovery is atrocious and his weakness is Jigglypuff. He's incredibly powerful when played right, though. I am probably best with Mega Man and Robin. Bowser Jr. is just fun to play. Falco has always been my bread-and-butter go-to character, but I have not played him much lately in favor of learning someone new. Duck Hunt Dog is more of a hobby than anything. I'd like to figure out Villager and Wii Fit Trainer, but so far I haven't had the time.

The custom moves are pretty neat, especially Mega Man's. His Beat Up+B recovery move feels a lot nicer than Rush Coil and it is particularly awesome in Smash Run when you need to climb the stage the fastest. I like Skull Barrier better than Wood Shield, too. On the whole, it's somewhat disappointing (but also understandable) that custom moves cannot be used in online games, as some of them feel better than their default moves. Custom moves are kind of annoying to acquire, too, since you receive duplicates. I got three of the exact same move once from a Smash Run.

I like my Mii Fighter a LOT (Swordsman).... but there's no point in practicing or using him when he, too, cannot be used in any random online modes. And friends to play with are sparse, at the moment.

Smash Run is pretty awesome! It's kind of sad to see it replaced with some board game thing in the Wii U version. Hopefully it will be tolerable. Smash Run's hectic nature is what I like. That, and you're taking on enemies from vastly different universes. "Oh cool, Magikoopa. Hey, there's that guy from Dig Dug! Oh, a metool from Mega Man! OH SHIT, that mean car from the Earthbound level. ****, THE GRIM REAPER!!" However, it does feel a little unfair at times. The computer really knows what buttons to push, eh?

Dark Pit is the ONLY character whose presence irritates the **** out of me. He should have been a palette swap outfit for Pit, not an entirely new fighter! So what if his final smash and a few moves are slightly different?? Dr. Mario is far less irritating since he has some of Mario's old moves from Melee---he feels like a slightly buffer, slower Mario---but I had hoped for a unique Final Smash that included the game's viruses rather than a simple reskin of the Super Mega Fireball.

They should make something like icade for 3ds. I'm afraid of playing my 3ds smash bros now, due to fear of destroying the damn circle pad.

Then there's this:

sits on the d-pad
    Last edited by Odin1199; 11-10-2014 at 11:52 PM.

The Old Skool Warrior Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So who's got this on the Wii U as well? This thread kinda died when it released, and I'm assuming that (like myself) everyone is suddenly busy playing Smash in their spare time.

I'd like to play online in "with friends" mode more often so that I can practice with more of my non-staple characters in a competitive environment. There's only so much you can learn against a pair of Lv9 CPUs before you predict everything they do.

Kirby and Bowser have been my go-to dudes in For Glory mode. I'm trying to add a couple more to that list; particularly, Dr Mario and Palutena.

If you're playing on the Wii U, add me! But just like with 3DS friends codes, there won't be a notification for an inbound friend request, so I'll need to add you as well. Post here (or PM me if you'd rather not toss your username in public) for a Smashing good time! My NNID is Argentos.

~ sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

The Mad God Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U Heartless Angel's Avatar
    Been loving ZSS. Nice that I can actually use her Final Smash now. The splitting of Zelda and Shiek kinda upset me though.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Blog Entries
    I'm still playing this on the 3DS - no WiiU copy for me sadly. I downloaded a patch for it the other day and one of the changes made was balancing out some characters and attacks, has anyone had any experiences with characters being unbalanced? I've been playing it a lot but I haven't noticed any differences to gameplay since updating it.

Captain Falcon is still my favourite and most played, he tops a lot of the charts on the statistics page (which also includes things like most falls and ko's -.-) and DK is pretty high up there too, if only because the AI tends to run into your charged up Smash Attacks.

I found that changing the win condition to a certain number of KO's instead of timed matched makes them a lot more interesting. Matches became much more down to the wire with everyone needing one KO left to win instead of getting complacent when you have 1 minute left and 6 ko's and zero falls compared to your opponents much worse scores.

Not too sure if any of that made sense haha.

I'd like to have a couple of matches against you guys but my DS wont connect to my wifi at home so the times I can play are very limited at best.
    Currently Playing:
    Pillars of Eternity (PC)

Would a 6 year old get much enjoyment out of this game or too young ya think?

I predict he will just button mash it, so just wondering would it be too hard and should i get mario bros instead?

Boxer of the Galaxy Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U Rowan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nix View Post
    Yeah 6 years old is about the demographic for this game.

I predict he will just button mash it, so just wondering would it be too hard and should i get mario bros instead?
    Nope, button mashing is how this game is played.

Spoony Bard
    Recurring Mini-Boss
    Blog Entries
    I play with a five year old quite often, and he seems to enjoy the game. He isn't as advanced, obviously, and there's a certain degree of button-mashing (sometimes in the menus when it's a bit of an annoyance) but he is learning and has a lot of fun. He likes collecting trophies and playing classic mode.

Cheers guys! Mucho appreciatedo!

Spoony Bard
    Recurring Mini-Boss
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LocoColt04 View Post
    So who's got this on the Wii U as well? This thread kinda died when it released, and I'm assuming that (like myself) everyone is suddenly busy playing Smash in their spare time.

I'd like to play online in "with friends" mode more often so that I can practice with more of my non-staple characters in a competitive environment. There's only so much you can learn against a pair of Lv9 CPUs before you predict everything they do.

Kirby and Bowser have been my go-to dudes in For Glory mode. I'm trying to add a couple more to that list; particularly, Dr Mario and Palutena.

If you're playing on the Wii U, add me! But just like with 3DS friends codes, there won't be a notification for an inbound friend request, so I'll need to add you as well. Post here (or PM me if you'd rather not toss your username in public) for a Smashing good time! My NNID is Argentos.
    I sent you an invite. So I definitely have this for the Wii U and have been playing more recently. Currently I am focused on completing challenges and trophy acquisitions. Smash Tour bores me and infuriates me at the same time. Stupid mother****ing dice games. I long for the fun days of Smash Run. It might have felt unfair at times, but at least it felt like my accomplishments weren't entirely based on luck.

I'd like to know if anyone has figured out a good way to harvest the soundtrack pick-ups from whatever mode. I do not know an easy way to collect the unlockable tracks, if there's even an easy way. Completing the soundtrack, ideally, would be my top priority because %reasons%.

I heard Diddy is OP now with his upward kick and Nintendo isn't planning to patch him.