View Poll Results: Which Smash Bros. game is the best?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Super Smash Bros.

2 8.70%
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee

11 47.83%
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl

10 43.48%

Thread: Super Smash Bros.

Blog Entries

Super Smash Bros.

So I was looking over at the reviews section a bit ago, and I noticed that people were commenting on a three year old review of Melee. Not on the review itself, but on the game. The guy who wrote it is long gone, but... heh.

I just played Melee again for the first time since before Brawl came out the other night with some friends. They had played it a little bit before that, and I was thinkin', "Man, I'm gonna be rusty..." Tried to click on a random space, and got Fox (who was my main back in the day.) Felt like I was really fudging my stuff up a lot in that first match... and yet I won, with like two stocks left. At the end of the night, I had 36 KO's, and second place had 20. Also pretty sure I had more wins than the other two who played. And I only used Fox once. That game was my serious business fighting game back in the day though, so that kinda explains it; my muscle memory had the gaming mechanics and timing down much better than my two friends, who probably didn't play it nearly as much as me. I remember that I used to get upset if I lost a match... haha.

Melee is probably my favorite of the series. Then comes the original Smash, then Brawl. Brawl is fun, but like one friend said, it feels more like a party game than a fighting game. Probably because they put a whole bunch of equalizers in it to help beginners beat the more hardcore players, like the smash ball, the obnoxious stages, etc. The Director of the game even said he made those stages obnoxious on purpose to keep everyone on equal footing. He also said there was no competitive community for the game... right. Smash Bros. Dojo would like to have a word with you. But yeah; other than that, they also nerfed my favorite character, Fox. He went from like top priority to bottom priority as far as attacks go. Even worse is what they did to Captain Falcon, who's pretty much garbage in the new game.

The original still has a lot of charm; kinda a classic feel to it that the other two don't really have. It's also probably the slowest in the series, and seems to be the hardest to to get back to the platform when you're knocked away. I'm probably the worst at it of all three games, but I give it more credit than Brawl anyway. Melee was the one I was obsessed with forever, so it gets the nod for me. It also feels more competitive and less comical to me somehow than the original; more hardcore (though maybe that's just because that's the way I treated it.)

Like I said, my main has always been Fox (except for Brawl, which I don't really have a main in; usually just pick random.) I do like Yoshi, Wario, Falco, Pikachu, and Snake a bit too. Never been great with really slow characters, though; my game is all about running around, swooping in for some quick attacks, then running away again (Unless I'm RTSD'ing.) I know I'd never last long in a real tournament match, but I wonder how I'd fair in a Melee match against fellow TFFers... Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

Lady Succubus Super Smash Bros. Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Super Smash Bros.

I like Melee the best for the reasons you said, but I never really played it super serious, but I have muscle memory for it anyways. I like brawl more than the original, but probably only because of Zero Suit Samus, haha.

The Lone Dagger Super Smash Bros. Xithor's Avatar

Funny you should bring this up Telegraph because between me and two of my closest friends we have every newest generation system and we even have Brawl that we could play on the Wii but whenever we get together we always break out the good old N64 and play Smash Bros for hours haha. That game is awesome and although the character choices aren't as vast as Melee or Brawl and the graphics are ages behind their successors it is just reminiscent for us whenever we get together to play it over and over again haha. I mained Pikachu in the first Brawl and always used to piss off my buddies because of how fast Pikachu can grab, plus he can edge guard like nobodies business with his spark and thunder and quick attack is a life saver sometimes. But to put them in order I would say Smash, Melee, then Brawl.

Wanna Know More:
    Like Kingdom Hearts? Come join the Black Dawn RP!

My latest videos:
    DBZ AMV - Breathe Into Me
    Final Fantasy XIII - My Hands
    Kingdom Hearts - Stand My Ground
    Naruto - Way Away
    Other Videos on my YouTube Channel: Xithor22's Channel

Certified tech, come at me! Super Smash Bros. SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I liked Brawl the best because each character had a final smash move. It was really fun to try to get, I also liked it because there were a lot of stages including fire emblem and the metal gear stage, I also liked how you could make your own stages. The last thing I liked about the game is that you could play online as well as the other modes in the game. I also liked the other two smash bros but Brawl remains my top favorite.

One last thing I forgot to mention is that I like how they fixed up the system where characters don't fly off the stage so easily, it was really annoying in melee.
    Currently Playing:

艶かしき安息、躊躇いに微笑み Super Smash Bros. ZantetsukeN's Avatar

I love Melee. I used to play it tons back in the day. Actually, I put it in a few weeks ago, started playing Ness (he along with Kirby were my main) and realised how awesome it is.

I never actually played the original, but I played Brawl not too long ago. I enjoyed it, but I just sat the whole time thinking 'this has nothing on Melee'. I don't know what it was, but I thought that Melee is such a classic. I like some of the new characters, like King Dedede and Metaknight, but I didn't like Sonic and his buddies. Lucas was good too, but I'll stick with Ness

klublife

what they, i guess nintendo, really needs to do is remake the original. new graphics, old game play. people would be fighting for a chance at that, and it would make an ideal download. it just needs a good server, a FEW more characters, and your on your way. my personal pick would by lloyed and a well built sonic.

there is a flash game out called super smash flash, along with a sequel in demo. these are great games for the computer

Memento Rhapso Super Smash Bros. Rhaps's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Melee is probably my favourite, probably because it was my first, but maybe because it just has a superior feel to Brawl or 64. I think its features and playability are way better, plus Link doesn't move slow as balls in it as compared to the others. My mains were always Link/ Young Link if someone took regular Link (playing duplicates is just not as fun lol)

Also, I liked the strange explosive nature of the characters to where they fly off of the screen at 50% damage lol keeps you on your toes and gives it good challenge.

CPC8- 'fo bros, 'fo life, 'fo shizzle

SPOILER!!:
    I won something :3

Also member of something that won another thing

Don't click this.

Registered User Super Smash Bros. Zidane77's Avatar

I always liked Melee the best but my friends only wanna play Brawl, so i've gotten too used to it. And they're reasoning is not bad: More characters,levels and a lot better dodge.

But still i like the levels in 64 and Melee a lot better.
    But the characters in Brawl are the best (although i miss Dr.Mario and Baby Link)

Everyone needs a savior Super Smash Bros. the_savior21's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i liked melee the best forever even after brawl came out because i didnt like playin with the wii controller i liked the classic gamecube and even when you plugged in the classic controller for the wii it still wasnt quite the same i liked the characters on melee but i like the edition of solid snake and sonic. after i got used to playing brawl with the wii controller i liked it a whole lot better but from time to time i still go back and play melee
    Don't look to others for knowledge, this is your story.

PSN: jwitt2123
    be sure to include in the request that you are from
    this forum and also ur username on here, if you intend
    to add me that is thanks

Currently playing
    FFIX- PSP via PSN, COD Black Ops (Zombies) - PS3

Most Played FF = FFVIII
    FF7-12, FF8-28, FF9-12, FFX-23

Every story must have an ending and every story needs a savior

Blog Entries

Melee is the most competitive. Brawl is a pile of shit, competitively speaking. It's more of a party game/game you can get your ass kicked at by your 8 year old cousin on Thanksgiving.

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

Blog Entries

Brawl can be competitive too if you turn off all those fun items and stuff I think. Cause you can turn off those smash balls. xP

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress Victoria View Post
    Brawl can be competitive too if you turn off all those fun items and stuff I think. Cause you can turn off those smash balls. xP
    But the random tripping? It's pretty unfair when you set up a time to combo and when you're about to execute...trip, and you get romped because of it and all your hard work goes down the drain. Sure, you could argue that if you're skilled you can come back from it, but the fact is it's RNG (random number generation) and nobody likes RNG in a competitive game.

That and there's really not that many advanced techniques if you compare it with Melee's wave dashes, SHFFling, RARing, etc.

Blog Entries

Yeah, that's true. Although it can be argued that the whole franchise is supposed to be a party game, but people take things too srsly. >_>

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress Victoria View Post
    Yeah, that's true. Although it can be argued that the whole franchise is supposed to be a party game, but people take things too srsly. >_>
    No, you're right. It was, but you can't deny the fact that Melee was and forever will be one of the best competitive fighting games of all time, even if it was on accident.

Blog Entries

Very competitive, yes. Fighting game.. only cause people make it out to be. I -hate- calling the SB franchise 'fighting games'. e.e

Registered User Super Smash Bros. Zidane77's Avatar

Yeah the random tripping, hate that...
    Other than that Brawl has some good improvements and is fun to play.
    Always liked Melee better though.

SHUT-UP!, SHUT-UP!, SHUT-UP! Super Smash Bros. ~FANTASY-ENDER~'s Avatar
    Currently enjoying life after a long deployment

Of all the super smash bros. games which I have played them all. My favorite of the group is Super Smash Bros. Brawl, best battle areas, best characters, and great ablites.
    [/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER][/U][/B]
    I FINALLY DEFEATED TERRA IN KINGDOM HEARTS 2 FINAL MIX+
    I give everyone permission to call me Endy, and by the way I got that nickname from FATE, sounds cool
    RPGs THAT I'VE BEATEN.....
    FINAL FANTASY VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2, XII, XIII KINGDOM HEARTS II ~FINAL MIX~+ KINGDOM HEARTS I, II, Re:Chain of Memories (Sora's Story), KINGDOM HEARTS 358/2 DAYS STAR OCEAN III: TIL THE END OF TIME DOTHACK//G.U. VOL. 1: REBIRTH DOTHACK//G.U. VOL. 2: REMINISCE DOTHACK//G.U. VOL. 3: REDEMPTION ROGUE GALAXY WILD ARMS 4 BLUE DRAGON

MY ANIMES THAT I OWN.....
    KARIN (Complete Series 1-24), INUYASHA (Episodes 1-167), SCHOOL RUMBLE (Episodes 1-26),SHAKUGAN NO SHANA (Complete 1st Season 1-24), BLEACH (Episodes 1-92), MY HiME (Complete Series 1-26), MY OTOME (Complete Series 1-26), PLEASE TWINS (Complete Series 1-13), ELFEN LIED (Complete Series 1-13), NARUTO (Episodes 1-28), THE MELANCHOLY OF HARUHI SUZUMIYA (Complete Series 1-13)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ~FANTASY-ENDER~ View Post
    Of all the super smash bros. games which I have played them all. My favorite of the group is Super Smash Bros. Brawl, best battle areas, best characters, and great ablites.
    A good majority of the stages, characters, and abilities came from the previous games. WHAT NOW WITH YOUR GENERIC RESPONSE

Dark Knight Super Smash Bros. Dark-Knight Luna's Avatar

Balance went out the window with Brawl (when smash balls were on), so I never really liked it, and the original had weird physics. So, melee ftw.
    SPOILER!!:

Registered User Super Smash Bros. GameMasterGuy's Avatar

The original lacked content, and Brawl didn't seem as engaging on a long-term scale, especially since you unlocked most, if not all of the characters in your first run-through of subspace emissary.

Blog Entries

SSB64 was cool, had a lot of fun with that. When Melee came out I was like woaaah because it was fun and really hard but rewarding to play, and then when Melee came out it was just like zz because I didnt like it since it was easy but Smash64 will always be my favorite <3
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Badass Military Agent Super Smash Bros. Linus Li Lelouch's Avatar

Let's see... For me Melee in a way is the one I'm rooting for then Brawl will come in a close 2nd with the Original a distant 3rd. This is obviously not for game mechanics or anything.

I based this assumption on the fact that Melee has 3 of my favorite characters ever... Marth, Roy, and Mewtwo, with those 3 alone I was a definite force to be reckon with. At first I thought I was only good with Mario (in the original Mario was my trump card), then I picked up Roy and his raw power made everything.... well explosive lol. After a while of playing with Roy, I went to a Korea SSBMelee Tournament when I was stationed in South Korea, and well the raining champion was a MASTER with Pikachu. After losing a considerably amount, I changed my character from Roy to Marth (it was obvious I was gonna need Speed for this match).

I must say, the change in character from Roy to Marth was like heaven in my hands, I suppose with the way I played Roy, I was all about skills, throwing, dodging, hitting, juggling, etc... and well with Marth, let's just say I was able to do those things about 10x faster. Although I didn't win the tournament, I came in 2nd but not after I gave the champ a run for his money by destroying him 6x in a row after I made the switch to Marth. So Melee reminds to be on top in my books.

I say Brawl next because it also has another one of my favorite characters ever. Ike from Fire Emblem, although I'm not as good as I am with Ike as I am with Roy, I still had some fun times, Marth on the other hand will always remain my trump card. As far as stages goes, I played through all of them, mainly to be able to use them to my advantage so I wasn't too concern with the changes.

Now items on the other hand.... I hate Items, always have and always will, hence when I play in Tournaments, I always request the judges to turn items off and let the players duke it out.
    Last edited by Linus Li Lelouch; 02-01-2011 at 06:08 PM.

~The will to not want anything in exchange for nothing~ *Your's truly Linus*

-98% of all teens have tried smoking pot and drinking. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy this and put it in your signature.

The Mad God Super Smash Bros. Heartless Angel's Avatar

Melee was the best in terms of gameplay, by quite a bit. But the added characters and stuff was enough to make me like playing Brawl more, provided that the smash balls and all that crap were off. I usually stick to FD to avoid stage faggotry. The tripping still pisses me off, and theydid nerf Marth on me, but other than that, you can be equally competative with it in spite of Nintendo's efforts to prevent that.
    Last edited by Heartless Angel; 02-02-2011 at 08:04 PM.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Just kind of there. Super Smash Bros. Calvan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have both melee and brawl. And frankly I like brawl better.
    I mean. As long as I can play as Luigi, With classic color scheme. I'm happy.
    -My Tee Eff Eff Family-
    Unknown Entity, My recipe trading, PS3 playing cousin.
    ----------
    And then just like that i'm gone again.