Thread: JRPG Review: Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep HD ReMIX

The Quiet One JRPG Review: Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep HD ReMIX Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries

News Post JRPG Review: Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep HD ReMIX

Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep HD Remix is part of the collection within Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix. Originally released for the PSP in 2010 and now re-released in an HD bundle for the PS3. Birth by Sleep was teased at the end of Kingdom Hearts 2 and is set at the prequel and origin story for the core of what they call the Dark Seeker Saga, which all Kingdom Hearts games to date belong within.

When talking about this game to others not familiar with the series, I actually used Star Wars as a reference, since it is actually not a bad one. Birth by Sleep is sort of like the prequel movies. One of the main story points to Birth by Sleep is explaining the main villain for the series Xehanort, the man behind all the events. Thanks to Birth by Sleep we now have answers and some very interesting details to the setup.

Birth by Sleep’s story is structured in a different way than the other Kingdom Hearts games. Sora is naturally both too young and not even holding a Keyblade at this point. So he is not your protagonist. There are three protagonists that you will play each with important points to the story. There is Terra the head strong man, who is playing a little too close to the darkness while trying to prove himself to be worthy to his father. Ventus is a boy that feels out of place in the world and just wants to be with his friends. And, Aqua the stoic and talented woman that has everything going right for her.

You can play these characters in any order that you wish, though it is best for story purposes to play Terra, Ventus and then Aqua. It makes for a better narrative, especially playing Aqua’s story last. Each of them will visit the same worlds, though at different times and orders than the others. So as you play through the Disney worlds, it is often interesting to run across one of the others, but not know what lead them up to that point. Then you get to play from their side and see this differently. This is always the reason the split protagonist system in games is fun and interesting, but it is executed here well that you gain important incite and keys to the story by seeing the others.

The story kicks off with Terra and Aqua trying to become Keyblade Masters and taking the Mark of Mastery test. Aqua succeeds and Terra fails, due to them seeing that he hasn’t properly controlled the darkness within him. Terra is bothered by this, but is determined to prove he has what it takes. So when Master Xehanort goes missing and mysterious creatures known as the Unversed start popping up Terra is more than willing to set things right. Terra and Aqua are both sent out to investigate and find Master Xehanort. Ventus ends up chasing after Terra not wanting to be left behind forcing Aqua to also go after him to bring him back. Thus starts their journey.

Birth by Sleep’s story is probably my favorite from the series. While it still falls into the problem of a large part of the story being for the Disney worlds and the characters to personally grow, the main story takes some very interesting twists and turns as it goes through. And the ending that it does to setup the entire rest of the series has some really great pay offs. It does a lot of things right by tying things together and showing the origins.

And the story for Birth by Sleep is one of the most important from the side series of games as it not only gives you background on the story at large. It introduces important new pieces that are seeded in the later released Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance. It was also confirmed that all three characters will have important roles to play in Kingdom Hearts 3 and the tease with the letter that Sora gets in Kingdom Hearts 2 is also explained and given context both by Birth by Sleep and Dream Drop Distance. So Birth by Sleep is not a game in the series to miss and with it available in an easy format to play any Kingdom Hearts fan would be missing out if they ignored it.

Now for the combat talk, the Kingdom Hearts series has always been an action RPG. So it’s no surprise Birth by Sleep continues that. However, it does some wonderful new things and mixing up the old design that gives it a fresh take and makes it easily my favorite of the series.

At the core, the basic attack combo, flight, slide, glide are all there. The basics you know are still present. However, the thing that has change is the skills and magic. No longer is it a menu you dig through and consume MP to use. The way it is setup now is that you have so many slots to put skills or magic in. They can be used freely at any time no charge to MP so long as they are off cooldown. Every skill and magic has a cooldown after use, so you can’t spam them though with enough slots and levels on them it is can easily feel like you might be able to do it.

The next part is that all skills and magic can earn experience. The stronger ones require more experience and can level higher, but the higher levels give them faster cooldowns and maybe more damage, I never did confirm that part. So through use they improve. And once they are mastered, you can combine them with other mastered skills or magic to make brand new ones. There is a vast amount out there to learn and some can only be gained through this. Making the sense of discovering and exploration with crafting new skills or magic a real joy as you play through.

In addition though, when you’re crafting you can attach special materials to create passive bonuses for you. It works not unlike how they did in Final Fantasy IX, while equipped you gain those bonuses, once mastered the bonuses become permanent to your character. Some bonuses can stack multiple times, so you can get big boosts to your character from it. And it allows for a lot of control and customization which was never present in the series.

A similar system to the forms used in Kingdom Hearts 2 is back in a new way. There are multiple different forms that can be taken, each with their different trigger. There are 4 base forms and then 4 evolved or advanced forms. The base forms require you to use certain types of skills or magic to trigger. Then you enter that form and your base attack change and often your speed or range. Your finisher also changes with some being very powerful. The advanced forms require you to be in a base form to unlock and then require more skill usage to unlock. A form meter increases while you’re in said form building towards your finisher. The same is for not being in a form. So if you want to move into a new form you need to execute enough abilities before the meter fills, which is pretty easy to do.

The last part is you can customize your base attack finisher. There is a finisher tree for growth that you can follow. You start with a basic finisher and then you need to do different actions to make the requirements of the new finishers to unlock them. So long as you’re on the branch for the new finisher work done towards it and added up until it is unlocked. Then you gain the new finisher. They all do different things and will end up to your play style which you prefer. Often it is better to be in a form though, as your power increases significantly. So the base finishers end up getting ignored a lot.

I already talked about a lot of the other things I usually do. So I’ll move to the visuals. This is an HD port to a PSP title. So the worlds are very small, the game is pretty quick over all, though still more than 30 hours of content just for reaching the end. And the character models will often jump between detailed and simplified in cutscenes based on proximity to the camera and needs for the scene. It can be a little jarring to watch it all happen, but as an update to a PSP title it looks good. The models are clean, but simple. The detail and designs all pop well. It is easy to forget at times it is a PSP title and not a PS2. Everything about the game will feel like you’re playing another PS2 Kingdom Hearts game and that is perfect.

The last note is something of a reason why I tend to avoid the big titles. They play it pretty safe, though they are usually always fun. So there is nothing really unique or quirky often about these games. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep really doesn’t break that mold. It does break the Kingdom Hearts mold with some new ideas and great customization, but there is not really anything stand out in the game that really makes really weird or strange. The series is already long established so the idea of Square Enix and Disney crossover lost any chance of being weird or unique a decade ago.

Reason to Play:

Birth by Sleep in a way is one of the defining moments in the story of the series. It sets up so much and explains motivation and purpose behind the main villain. You get to play characters that are not Sora or Riku and admittedly actually more interesting than Sora. The story is the reason you want to this game as a fan of the series, it’s very important and not one to be missed. However, I would be ignoring the combat for the game which I feel is the best of the series and the most fun I’ve had. KH2 was a blast for me to play and loved every minute of it, KH:BBS takes that and bumps it up a level with new variety, new customization and more control over your style than ever before. It is easily the best entry in the series.

Story – 9/10 – The most important addition to the KH series’ story and a solid, entertaining and albeit tragic story makes for the best of the series. I did often wish I was doing more story and less Disney world filler story though. I know it was there to build their character development, but it’s so rehashed and old at this point.
    Combat System – 9.5/10 – They took all the fun of KH2’s combat and put you fully in the driver’s seat on this. Customize your load out and play the way you want, KH hasn’t been this on point in a while.
    Customization - 9/10 – It’s a surprise to see customization in a KH game, but it is welcome and perfect addition to the game. It enhances the combat in ways that you didn’t know you wanted and now you won’t want to go back.
    Graphics - 8/10 – It’s a port of a PSP title updated a little for HD on the PS3. It’s a small game with small worlds and all the usual shortcuts for a handheld title, but it still will stand up well against the PS2 games and you may even forget it is a PSP title.
    Characters – 9.5/10 – Three protagonists all with vastly different stories and very important ties to the series, they grow and develop as characters and the ties that bind them can really be felt. They are probably the most interesting set of playable characters introduced to the series.
    Uniqueness/Quirkiness – 1/10 – Disney and Square Enix crossover notwithstanding, there is nothing unique really here.

Overall – 9.5/10 (Not an average)
    Attached Images Attached Images JRPG Review: Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep HD ReMIX-kh25hdlogo-jpg 
    Last edited by Andromeda; 12-30-2014 at 02:48 PM.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

#LOCKE4GOD JRPG Review: Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep HD ReMIX Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Don't know why I never picked this up before. Thanks for the review.

Consistently Average JRPG Review: Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep HD ReMIX Kurt Zisa's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    BBS and II are my favourite KH titles, which is why it's so great they were bundled together. I've yet to get 2.5 so i'm still really excited to see all the extra stuff that we missed out on with the regular versions of the game.

Great review Andro, I couldn't think of a better way to describe this game. I spent hours creating new attacks and abilities once I found a full Command Meld chart on gamefaqs, and even when they'd all been unlocked and mastered there was still the Arena to try and complete. You really need two or more other players to get the most out of it though. Easily the best battle and ability system in the series. You can't beat II for fun and simplicity though, I love leveling up the Forms to get their extra abilities and so on.
    Currently Playing:
    Pillars of Eternity (PC)

I play Magic! See what decks im playing or building here!

#LOCKE4GOD JRPG Review: Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep HD ReMIX Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Zisa View Post
    BBS and II are my favourite KH titles, which is why it's so great they were bundled together. I've yet to get 2.5 so i'm still really excited to see all the extra stuff that we missed out on with the regular versions of the game.

Great review Andro, I couldn't think of a better way to describe this game. I spent hours creating new attacks and abilities once I found a full Command Meld chart on gamefaqs, and even when they'd all been unlocked and mastered there was still the Arena to try and complete. You really need two or more other players to get the most out of it though. Easily the best battle and ability system in the series. You can't beat II for fun and simplicity though, I love leveling up the Forms to get their extra abilities and so on.
    What was missed out in the originals?

And why do you need two players?

Certified tech, come at me! JRPG Review: Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep HD ReMIX SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm glad to hear that you really enjoyed Birth By Sleep Andro. As you probably noticed, other KH titles that were released after BBS have been utilizing the same system as BBS, especially in KH 3D. Storyline wise, I think this fared better than 3D, 3D had an ok story but BBS definitely had a nice story in comparison and the battle system is second to none in the KH games imo, especially when you use those limit breaks and stuff.

Protip for all who plan on playing BBS: play it on critical mode, you get an extra command slot in the beginning of the game which allows for more creativity.
    Currently Playing:

Consistently Average JRPG Review: Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep HD ReMIX Kurt Zisa's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    What was missed out in the originals?
    Stuff like extra keyblades, abilities, bosses and stuff they had in the Final Mix versions of II and BBS. A bit like the International version of X and X-2. I know that there's a new form in KHIIFM that you can go into without needing other party members (like needing Goofy for Valor Form and Donald for Wisdom) which means you can use it in things like the 1000 Heartless Battle when there's only Sora fighting.

And why do you need two players?
    I should have probably phrased that better. In the Arena in BBS you can have up to three other players fight with you through each of the stages. The enemies are stronger and there's a recurring boss that's really tough when you play alone so it's definitely worth it if you know someone else nearby who can play it. Hmm... just realized it's probably done differently on the PS3. Have you tried the Arena in BBS Andro?
    Currently Playing:
    Pillars of Eternity (PC)

I play Magic! See what decks im playing or building here!

Great review! It looks pretty crisp now if I may add, not bad at all!