Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why not a thriller/paranormal/mystery RP?

The Mad God Why not a thriller/paranormal/mystery RP? Heartless Angel's Avatar
    Detail isn't always necessary. Especially in a writing setting, sometimes a mention of past events is enough. Law of conservation of detail, don't waste any effort on writing details of events that don't matter to the story. Is it important to know that Mr. X got freaky with Ms. Y? Maybe. Is it important to know the length of involved male genetalia, approximate force of thrusts, the exact thoughts going on at a given point in time during the event? Not really. Mention the former, don't waste text on the irrelevancies.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Registered Goober Why not a thriller/paranormal/mystery RP? Order's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heartless Angel View Post
    I RP chicks all the time, nothing unusual. Last time I played a DnD campaign I was an elf assassin who screwed everything with legs for information or loot. Or for the lulz. Or to get people to let their guard down while I slashed their throats... Screwed one of the other players who was a chick RPing a dude... pretty much anything is tolerable in a roleplaying environment as long as it in some way enhances the story.
    I've never RPd a female character. I have written from a female character's perspective in several (never to be completed) novels. It honestly has never seemed weird to put myself in the mind of any character, good, bad, ugly or female. I do the same thing to people I talk to (or try to).
    I would definitely go for it.
    People would be like, "Damn, Order, you be good at that female shit."
    And I'd be like all, "Hands off da goodies, trick. Dis ass be prime-ass real estate. You gotta pay fo dis shit."

Ahem...
    Shifting gears here.
    I haven't played a good DnD game since 2006. Only because that was the only game I played where the whole crew was mildly drunk and stabbed each other in the back consistently. One of those groups where you spend most of your time laughing.
    I had a human rogue who's MO was giving drugs to children, hiring assassins to (attempt to) kill his allies and murdering NPCs of mild importance before planting the murder weapon on a hostile/unfriendly/innocent NPC.

Campaign I did before the one I was just talking about was based on 8 bit theatre. THAT was funny shit. Group would just go in on a 1.75 liter of Jameson and get wasted before we started, and lulz were had by all. I was the fighter, and I had sword chucks. All of my abilities did at least half of their damage to me. Or anyone standing near me.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Those are the best.
    That character died because lost a bet and had to go hand to hand with the next enemy he met, which happened to be a dire bear. Just after the party killed the bear and brouht him back from the brink of death, they threw him off a neaby cliff (I rolled a 1).
    Good times.

Whenever anyone in that campaign rolled a 1, somehow, I injured them. Everything was my fault, no exceptions.

You know, speaking of DnD, I did play a part of a campaign where the PCs ran into a group of witch hunters and we did a small detective story thing. It was a lot of fun for a while, but it died off because most of the PCs wanted to kill everything that could have been a potential lead. They seemed to honestly not understand diplomacy.
    Which is funny because years later when I tried to do something similar with my brother, he did the same thing.
    Trying to intimidate city guards who were twice his level, trying to get help from scholars after killing their apprentice, ect...
    There are some people who simply have no interest in solving a mystery, even if it means they get to fight tough enemies and search for awesome gear.
    My brother actually asked me (I was DM) to teleport the PCs to the location they were looking for.
    I was like, "Why, whats the point? Where is the fun? If I was going to do that, why not just make our characters completely maxed out, erase all enemies, loot all treasure and end the game?"
    I don't get the thought process.

Personally, I enjoy the detective stuff the most.

Oh, snap!
    Idea!

There's a lesson in this. Wait until AFTER the quest to kill the NPCs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2