Thread: Top 5 Movies of 2009

Killin Vapor

Cool Top 5 Movies of 2009

This is my first thread. So plz comment. The more the better to help me out. I accept all opinions.

What are your top 5 favorite movies of the year 2009?

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
    G.I. Joe
    Bleach Movie 3
    Gamer
    College

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Top 5 Movies of 2009 Xanatos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Killin Vapor View Post
    College
    This movie was made in 2008, I've checked on Wikipedia just to make sure.

Didn't watch many great movies this year even tho there are still few that I would like to watch but so far I didn't had chance. I'll just throw few that I liked (doesn't necessary mean that they're great).

no particular order:

Underworld Rise of the Lycans - Ah, Underworld the only movie with vampire theme that I don't find annoying. The first two have an excellent story and "Rise of the Lycans" wasn't an exception, I really enoyed watching this movie mainly because you get to see how the war between vampires and lycans started in first place but in more details than the first two show.

Star Trek - When I saw the trailer for this movie I actually thought it would suck but I was pleasantly surprised. Surely, not the best Star Trek movie but nevertheless it was interesting.

Transformers Revenge of the Fallen - The first one was much better at least in my opinion. but it was good nevertheless. It's filled with lot of funny scenes which I appreciated, most of the actors are good and the story itself was interesting.

Public Enemies - mine kind of movie, excellent story with excellent actors...nuff said.

Ice Age 3 - I enjoyed in every Ice Age movie but this one would be the best I've seen so far. Actually I couldn't believe that one character could make me to watch a movie several times and Buck is one of those characters.
    Last edited by Xanatos; 10-31-2009 at 01:28 PM.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Killin Vapor

Cool Yeah!

I know! I threw it out there cause I didn't have any other one's I could think of I liked this year.

Registered User Top 5 Movies of 2009
    I didn't watch that many movies this year either, but here's my pick:

1.) Coraline- Loved this movie! It had a few differences from the book, but I still think that it was done really well. Definately number one of 2009 for me!

2.) Up- I love most everything made from Pixar, and this film is definately a good one from them. Dug is my favorite in this movie!

3.) Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince- Yeah, I know. It's Harry Potter. I've read the books, and I know that the movies have to take out some stuff so the films won't be ridiculously long, but I still think that they're pretty good. This one was a lot better than the fifth movie, but maybe I think that because I wasn't a fan of the fifth book either.

4.) 9 - It's a computer-animated movie about a bunch of ragdoll people on a quest to destroy a big war machine thing (at least that's what I got from watching it). It's really neat to watch, but I think that this film has more style than substance though.

5.) The Proposal- I went with a bunch of friends to see this movie. It was alright, but I probably wouldn't watch it again. It's only on this list because I needed a number 5 spot, and I haven't really seen too many movies this year.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Air from my lungs. Top 5 Movies of 2009 Violet's Avatar
    1-Up
    2-District 9
    3-Star Trek
    4-Where the Wild Things Are
    5-Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Govinda
    1. MOON. By miles. It is fast approaching the spot of my Favourite Movie Ever.

2. Inglourious Basterds. This would have been this year's best if Moon wasn't around. Tarantino takes World War Two and just makes it better. Everything's been said now.

3. Frost/Nixon. Really a very good film.

4. Milk!

5. Star Trek for writing alone - they seriously needed an Oscar for their time warp thingy that happened 'for some reason' and quietly enabled the ENTIRE plot.

1. Inglourious Basterds
    2. Moon
    3. The Hurt Locker
    4. Goodbye Solo
    5. Tyson
    6. Where the Wild Things Are
    7. Bright Star
    8. The Hangover
    9. The Girlfriend Experience
    10. O'Horten

Lady Succubus Top 5 Movies of 2009 Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodie16 View Post
    I didn't watch that many movies this year either, but here's my pick:

1.) Coraline- Loved this movie! It had a few differences from the book, but I still think that it was done really well. Definately number one of 2009 for me!

2.) Up- I love most everything made from Pixar, and this film is definately a good one from them. Dug is my favorite in this movie!

3.) Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince- Yeah, I know. It's Harry Potter. I've read the books, and I know that the movies have to take out some stuff so the films won't be ridiculously long, but I still think that they're pretty good. This one was a lot better than the fifth movie, but maybe I think that because I wasn't a fan of the fifth book either.

4.) 9 - It's a computer-animated movie about a bunch of ragdoll people on a quest to destroy a big war machine thing (at least that's what I got from watching it). It's really neat to watch, but I think that this film has more style than substance though.

5.) The Proposal- I went with a bunch of friends to see this movie. It was alright, but I probably wouldn't watch it again. It's only on this list because I needed a number 5 spot, and I haven't really seen too many movies this year.
    Do you guys mind following Dodie's example from now on, please? Don't just make a list.

Your descriptions don't have to be very long. Just at least say why you like it. This isn't the spam forum, you know. >_>;

The only truly decent film this year for me was District 9. Others are typical, such as G.I. Joe that just appeal to little 12 year olds with explosions and such a cliché story it isn't even funny.

District 9
    Watchmen
    Moon
    Star Trek
    Let the right one in

All is One.One is All. Top 5 Movies of 2009 Firefly's Avatar
    I am sorry but honetsly I haven't watched any movies this year that are made in 2009.I guess I don't get around much.Anyway I do want to see one movie that is coming out this year:

New Moon - absolutely dying to see this movie!!!This was my favorite book of all the Twilight Saga.Team Jacob 4-eva!!LOL
    ---------------------------------------------------
    My TFF Family:
    * My Awesome Older Brother, Judge Magistrate :]
    * Illusion :]
    * Cait Sith :]
    * My Sweet,Caring,Older Sister angelmarie190515 :]
    * My FF Twin, nickness89 :]
    * My Favorite Australian Cousin, NikkiLinkle :]
    * My Long Lost Cousin, Hero without a Name :]

***98% of all teens have tried smoking pot and drinking. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy this and put it in your signature.

Boredness rules us all Top 5 Movies of 2009 Midnight Panda's Avatar
    1. transformers: revenge of the fallen - i like this movei because of how much better it was than the first one. i dont really know why i liked it but i like transformers and that stuff and i guess it was so good and explaining that nomatter what time you started watching the movie, wether it be half way through or the beginning you always know what was going on. and it was better than the first one.
    2. 9 - nine because i love timburton and this is just one of my favourite movies of him. and i like movies that show the end of the world.
    3. underworld rise of the lycans - it was good because i follow that series and it had alot of kiling and action and it was a good movie.
    4. coraline - coraline because probably fpr the same reason as 9 and this was one of his better movies.
    5. and of course paranormal activity - all i can say is WOW! its an okay scary movie based on actual facts and its just so cool. and it always leaving you waiting to see what happpens next.
    Been gone a long while but im back now and not as annoying. promise

THANKS TO ANDROMEDA

Registered User Top 5 Movies of 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NeXtadi View Post
    4. coraline - coraline because probably fpr the same reason as 9 and this was one of his better movies.
    Just a little correction: Tim Burton had nothing to do with Coraline at all. It does look like something that would come from him, but this was from Henry Selick, who was the stop motion director for The Nightmare Before Christmas, James and the Giant Peach and for Coraline.

SPOILER!!:
    He also did Monkeybone, but that movie was terrible... I wish to never speak of it again...
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Govinda View Post
    3. Frost/Nixon. Really a very good film.
    I never liked these kind of movies but I must admit this one is awesome, I watched it at least five times. The only problem is that it was made in 2008, I think it's even on Digi TV these days.

Soup Kitchen Jerk. Top 5 Movies of 2009 Polk's Avatar
    HEY. I liked Monkeybone.

I'm going to go with US wide release dates, as I've seen a pitifully small amount of movies this year. Expect this list to change by the end of the year.

5. Anvil! The Story of Anvil- A fantastic documentary about the greatest metal band nobody's ever heard of. Anvil is a band that is equally pathetic and inspiring, a perfect subject for a documentary. A simple film following the band around evolves into a film documenting the resilience of the human spirit, and is both emotional and uplifting. Look it up whether you like metal music or not.

4. Gran Torino- Clint Eastwood plays Clint Eastwood as Clint Eastwood in this story of unlikely friends. Clint as Clint isn't a bad thing, though. In fact, it's a very good thing. Eastwood seems to have a little problem with directing actors, as the actors portraying the Hmong family next door have an affinity for delivering their lines as if they were in a B movie, but overall, Gran Torino is a great time, that will have you enjoying yourself throughout.

3. Frost/Nixon- Though a notable contender in the 2008 Academy Awards, it didn't get a US Wide release until January of this year. A brilliant film recreating the drama of the David Frost/Richard Nixon interviews, it creates unbelievable tension throughout the film, and at the climax of the interview you'd need a chainsaw to cut the tension in the room. Fantastic performances by Frank Langella and Michael Sheen are topped by a surprisingly good directorial role by Ron Howard.

2. Drag Me to Hell- Sam Raimi's return to comedy/horror is a fun ride, one that I've seen 3 times now. There is nothing deep, nothing overtly symbolic about Drag me to Hell. It's just a great time. Every cast member turns out a great performance (yes, even Justin Long). Alison Lohman can be a little flat in her delivery at some points, but (and I really can't find a way to make this not sound creepy) she makes up for it with a genuinely good horror scream. Funny, sometimes genuinely scary, and gripping throughout, I can't say enough good things about Drag me to Hell.

1. Inglourious Basterds- Inglourious Basterds is the reason that I can forget about how bad Deathproof was. Well written, well directed, and featuring some great performances (Cristoph Waltz deserves and Oscar, and Brad Pitt is hilarious), Basterds is Tarantino's return to form, with his trademark of gruesome violence offset by scenes of great, often inane dialog. A fantastic time throughout, but it will disappointingly be ignored come Oscar season.
    Let's go into the "archives" in "Washington D.C." and find out how people "masturbated" in the "roaring 20's."

Crao Porr Cock8. Bitch.

Death Before Dishonor Top 5 Movies of 2009 Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    1. Star Trek- Huge fan of it loved the movie thought it was great...

2. Gi Joe- grew up playing with GI Joes so the movie made me very happy, it was a great movie lots of action.

3. Law Abiding Citizen- Best Gerard Butler movie I have ever seen, I enjoyed it more than 300

4. Underworld:Rise of the Lycan's- I love the underworld series so this was great...

5. Transformer's 2- amazing loved it, if you didnt like this movie then the terrorist will win...jk

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

some say............ Top 5 Movies of 2009 The Stig's Avatar
    well i have only seen a few so here goes in no particular order

Harry potter and the half-blood prince

just a great film funny and entertaining and proves that movies dont need american actors to be good the brits are all fine

Gran torino

clint eastwood best film ever he was brilliant the ending was superb so emotional too

terminater salvation

its a terminater film very action packed but i do have to say it lacked what the rest of the series had

ice age 3 in 3d

just as funny as the rest as im a big fan of the ice age series and love sid he is hilarious and 3d made it better

and the only other film i have watched apart from the absolute worst film ever ( the final destination)

zombieland
    i just love zombie spoof films they are so funny and hilarous and thats it really it was funny
    Some say he's wanted by the CIA, and that he sleeps upside down like a bat... all we know is, he's called the Stig

Some say that his tears are adhesive, and that if he caught fire, he'd burn for a thousand days... all we know is, he's called the Stig.

Some say that his genitals are on upside down, and that if he could be bothered, he could crack the Da Vinci Code in 43 seconds... all we know is, he's called the Stig.

Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig.

Some say he isn't machine washable, and all his potted plants are called Steve... all we know is, he's called the Stig.

I've just finished watching The Taking of Pelham 123 and I must say this is by far the best movie I've seen this year although I must admit the competition was rather slim. My belief is that you can't go wrong with Denzel Washington but if I would recommend this movie it would be solely because of the act of John Travolta, he was simply superb. Except the outstanding cast this movie has also a great story, I'm not really a big fan of the whole "taking over a plain/train and exchanging hostages for ransom" movies (hey, who can blame me, most of them are just B movies with bad actors and shallow story, or maybe I just didn't have luck at choosing movies with this kind of theme) but the story in The Taking of Pelham 123 is on a way higher level than I used to see, this one actually had a deeper and meaningful story for a change. It's not really a surprise since this movie is actually a remake of original 1974 film and it's also based on a novel with the same name written by Morton Freedgood.

FF:Zero (RMXP) - Writer/Director Top 5 Movies of 2009 Petros's Avatar
    Okay Pro-Screenwriter in the house! Time for my views:

BE WARNED THESE WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS!

HONOURABLE MENTION

HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE

Overall an interesting film but though it's story is good and it's ending tragic, it lacks the magic of it's predecessors, and though it's a dark movie, it seems to sap all the colour from the film, which was a positive thing about the previous movies. Didn't match up to either Order of the Phoenix (My personal favourite) or Prisoner of Askaban (which had the tightest and best written story). Still thoroughly entertaining.

Okay I'm gonna get hated for this but I genuinely think this was not that bad a movie. It was fun, it had great action, a heartfelt story and a CGI Arnie in the buff again.

Pros: The setting was a great idea, the casting was brilliant, Sam Worthington did a fantastic job as Marcus Wright. They really conveyed much of Cameron's original themes about the strength of humanity over machines from the first one and at the same time the ability for machines to grow and understand beyond their original programming if they're given a human heart (quite literally in this case). The comedy was light but funny when it was there and it didn't overdo it. There were numerous references to the preceding movies which I liked. The machines were spectacular in their variety, it could have been just T600s prowling the landscape but it wasn't there were huge machines, water machines, motorbike machines, flying machines. They also had a good soundtrack for the most part continuing the use of the Terminator motif. Plus the T-800 could have made me crap my pants.

Cons: When James Cameron made Terminator and Terminator 2: Judgment Day, he showed us a future that was bleak and dark. For the most part they did this well but the PG-13 aspect of it really killed the atmosphere. They tried to go dark and all but it just infuriated me. Where were the skulls being crushed by slow moving machines, the decimated char-grilled remains, Cameron gave us a fearful atmosphere, McG just gave us a rather bleak looking one. They didn't incorporate the full Terminator theme which really carried a lot of emotion, I don't know if that was licensing rights but I really missed it, especially when the ending came around, they only had the initial motif. The writers had problem, originally the story was meant to be Marcus Wrights, but Christian Bale wanted to play John Connor and get a bigger part for playing him, so the did. But they failed to find the balance that a true ensemble film needs. It seemed like a Hero's Journey movie without a specific hero but an ensemble cast. Compare that to Jonah Nolan's previous work on The Dark Knight and you'll see what I mean. I think that they needed to give John Connor a little more presence on screen and Marcus Wright a little more explanation about his emotional change.

Another controversial decision after the changed ending but it still had the same meaning that he original one had, in fact it was probably a better one than the original (blasphemy? sure why not).

Pros: Stellar performances from a bunch of unknowns. Every actor was great in this and the director clearly knew how to get a great performance out of them all. Top marks for Zack Snyder. The film was very Neo-Noir in it's presentation and the blend of sight and sound was unlike anything I'd seen since 2001: A Space Odyssey, another trademark Snyder carried over from his previous epic "300". The storyline was gripping, the sets imaginative and the costumes were given a modern look to them whilst keep what was meant to look silly look silly and what was meant to look terrifying actually look terrifying. The blue wang didn't distract me much, unlike other people who have got some serious homophobia issues they need to work out and Carla Gugino did spectacular job as Sally Jupiter and is hot as the first time I saw her in Spin City. I had never read the Graphic Novel before this but I did afterward and I can understand the changes that were made. Like The Dark Knight the previous year, Watchmen showed us a whole new look on Graphic Novel adaptations. The Dark Knight was a loose adaptation of various Batman comics, keeping a Dark tone but with an original story and doing a fantastic job, Watchmen gave us an accurate depiction of the graphic novel pretty much to the letter removing only what in a live-action movie would seem TOTALLY ridiculous, the first iflm you learn in film school is that an audience will believe anything in the first 35mins but if you introduce something crazy afterward, you'd better be ready to get slapped in the face with a "This is bullshit!" cry from the media. That's what Giant Squid would have done. Another thing is that they made this an "R" rated movie, they weren't trying to impress kids and sell toys like they do with most Comic Book movies they were trying to impress adults and it was marketed to them as such (another great plus about The Dark Knight too even if i was PG-13).

Cons: Okay so at times the CGI wasn't perfect but I didn't mind that. I would have liked to have known a little more about their backstories, how the HELL did they become such good martial artists? I mean like seriously? Doesn't anyone question why in the name of God they became like an army of Batman clones in their fighting style yet Bruce Wayne had to spent 20 years treking through Asia learning from criminals, psychos and nutjobs to become who he was. I think the detonation of Manhattan was very underplayed. In NBC's Heroes it was a HUGE event and the explosion was ripping through the city you felt that 8 million people just died. In Watchmen, not so much. Boom... ouch... that's about it.

Now I normally hate Clint Eastwood as a director, he's very preachy and always trying to grab an Oscar with every movie. It's okay to do the Oscar types every so often guys but to have your "Annual Grab for an Oscar" routine it gets very old very fast, I didn't like Million Dollar Baby and I didn't like Gran Torino (OPEN YOUR ****ING MOUTH EASTWOOD YOU SOUND LIKE BATMAN!) Invictus however, was simply SPECTACULAR!

Pros: Great cast, good direction, very good cinematography and it's about ****ing time someone did a Mandella movie, he's like the most important figure of the Post-War 20th Century! Matt Damon did a great job as did Freeman who is always an absolute powerhouse actor. Overall a fantastically crafted and heartwrenchingly emotional film.

Cons: I'm still bitter about South Africa wining the World Cup in 2007... IT WAS IN DAMMIT! IN! Also although Damon's performance was great, I did think he needed to work on the accent a little because he wasn't very clear sounding. No I'm not being racist I can understand South Africans fine.

Hilarious and fantastic movie. Comedies rarely get this much universal praise because of the fact that humour doesn't translate well. On the other hand, being hungover and not remember what the **** happened last night, is a VERY universal theme... I'm surprised Shakespeare never did that...

Pros: Hilarious, witty and universally applicable. Who here hasn't gotten completely trashed and woken up thinking, who and what the **** did I do last night? I for one have a had several nights like that. Yet throughout all the hilarity the movie keeps a plot going. It reminds me of Superbad or the first American Pie (even though I think the sequels were funnier), in that it tells a story whilst having great gags and laughs, not just laughs after laughs. I've found the mark of a good comedy movie is one you can quite literally remove all the jokes from and have a pretty good drama. I mean imagine this movie as a drama; three guys get drunk and drugged up in Vegas and have to find the missing friend whilst being chased down by a Chinese mob boss? That's pretty ****ing dramatic, but it's also the recipe for great comedy. Mike Tyson and the Tiger were a great part too that really made me laugh.

Cons: Not Heather Graham's best performance, perhaps because she was underused. I also think that this movie does try a little hard at times to get the jokes out when it really doesn't need to. In retrospect however this movie is still a classic.

And now the moment you've all been waiting for........ if you've been bothered to read all this.

I make no secret that I'm a Trekkie. But this movie was one of the best crafted movies of the last ten years. Even if you don't consider it a masterpiece, you can't say it's not an enjoyable movie. In my eyes, this movie is FAR better than George Lucas' prequels, even Revenge of the Sith, in my opinion even better than the original Star Wars. (not Empire or Jedi though).

Pros: What can I say that hasn't been said already. The acting is great, the direction is great, the cinematography is great, the effects are inch perfect, the writing is great, it techno-babble is at a minimum the story focuses on the characters. It's sharp fast paced and goes a million miles an hour with the action scenes not just there for gratuitous purposes, they are there to advance the story almost every time (except perhaps the snow monsters though they were incredible cool and scary as shit!). Leonard Nimoy did a great job returning as always, Zachary Quinto did a full-on fantastic job as Spock. Green alien sex is a plus in my books. Chris Pine as James Tiberius Kirk is great, he's not Shatner's Kirk but he doesn't stray far from what made that character great in the first place, he's a hero, he's dashing, he's a womaniser and... he... doesn't... talk... like... THIS! The Enterprise was beautiful and as for the soundtrack? This is by far the BEST SOUNDTRACK I've heard in my lifetime. That's saying something because I'm a big movie soundtrack fan and I listened to this and was in awe, even the old school Star Trek OSTs which were great, don't match up to this. Wrath of Khan is the only musical score that comes close (Horner did win an Oscar for Titanic several years later.) I think Giachinno deserves the Grammy he's been nominated for and give him that damn Oscar too!

Cons: The villain Nero has a great back story that I've now read it but they just brushed STRAIGHT past it all, which frustrated me. It would have been nice to see Nero and Old Spock , the true nemeses of each other go face to face for a moment. The physics at times is a little dodgy at times too.

Sidenote: My only problem isn't so much of a con, so I'm not including it as one, but it's that this movie was not as good as The Wrath of Khan (which I think is as good as any movie out there and is in my eyes the ultimate way to use a sci-fi premise), it's themes were epic it's stories were great and the characters did undergo a great development, but at times the characters seemed too archetypal, possibly because the actors did such a good job of being the roles. It was very Hero's Journey in it's story telling, but Khan was Hero's Journey as well as being an intimate character study too. However it was still a fantastic, action packed, emotionally driven , very well told story, let the sequel go above and beyond it.
    WRITER & DIRECTOR

Made with RPG Maker XP

Visit our website at:

I have not seen too many movies from 2009.However,the ones that I have seen are some of my new favorites.
    1.Watchmen
    2.Harry Potter:The Half-Blood Prince
    3.Public Enemies
    4.The Spirit(It came out in 2008 and was in theatres until 2009)
    5.Friday the 13th

This ain't no place for no hero Top 5 Movies of 2009 Tiffany's Avatar
    Having a kid really puts a damper on going out to the movies. That being said, we only really went out to the ones that we reeeeally wanted to see.

Le List:

1. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. Great movie! Special kudos go out from my guy with all the gratuitous 'sexy' shots of Megan Fox.

2. 9. I had been looking forward to this movie for MONTHS. It lived up to the expectations! Although I don't think Tim Burton wrote it, he just helped produce it, right?

3. New Moon. Yes, I went there. I really enjoyed it. The only annoying thing were the twitterings of all the hormonal tweens in the cinema anytime Jacob or Edward came on the screen. As much as it was nice to see it on the big screen I think I'd rather watch it at home.

4. Star Trek. I liked the concept of this alternate reality. Kind of made it believable. Although I still think of Young Spock as Sylar from Heroes. Anytime he got mad I half expected him to raise a finger and slice someone's head open.

5. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. Aside from being longish for my tastes, I found it highly entertaining.

petervinsly

Re: Top 5 Movies of 2009

Moon
    Star trek
    Watchmen
    harry porter the half blood prince
    Transformers-2