Thread: New Karate Kid Movie

Blog Entries

New Karate Kid Movie

So actually monday night, I went and saw this at the Drive In. Damn movie started at like 10, so I was too tired to stay awake for the second movie (A Team, which was probably the one I was more interested in seeing.)

Anyway... it was really slow. I went in with an open mind, but for the first half hour to an hour-before Jackie Chan's character had any real action for the first time-I was pretty bored. There were "jokes" or "funny parts" during this time, but they weren't funny to me. Guess I'm not the target audience? Anyhoo, this kid, Jayden Smith or whatever... he was alright. I didn't care much for the delivery of a lot of his lines-in fact, I cringed on a lot of them. Felt like he talked to much and tried to be cool, although I'm told that's kind of how the Ralph Macchio character was in the original, which I haven't seen for years, and not sure if I ever saw the whole way through.

That said, Jayden was good in the fight scenes. Also, the bully was really good for his part, and I thought this was probably some of Jackie Chan's best acting. Definitely the most serious character he's ever played. Plus, the movie picked up a little bit towards mid point. It was probably a pretty good kid's movie. Just alright for me, though. My favorite part is that in other places around the net, people who don't like it are accused of being racist. That's always good, because no amount of reasoning can deter the accusers. "You're racist. I don't care if you've stated an objective opinion, I'm going to assume that really, you just didn't like the star, because he's black, and hold on to that idea no matter what." Oh well.

Anybody else seen this yet? What'd you think? Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

EDIT: Just thought I'd add that I just saw the original Karate Kid, possibly the first time all the way through ever, and at all for years. And I think it's a classic. Much better paced, and generally better acted than the new one. Better humor, too. I'd go into more detail, but looks like no one saw the new one yet, sooo....