Thread: Development Hell?

Blog Entries

Development Hell?

What are some movies that you are extremely interested in seeing, but seem like they are never going to come out? Movies that are supposedly in the works, but keep getting pushed back/directors or actors keep changing/whatever? Here are some of mine:

The Hobbit. Originally, this film was supposed to come out this year. Currently, it is slated to come out in two years, production hasn't started yet, there's no director, and no Bilbo Baggins. There is supposedly a first draft of the script.

Arrested Development. This is slated to come out in 2012. I don't know what's going on with this movie, though I hear that it has its issues. Someone on this site said that Michael Cera wasn't going to do it, but I read elsewhere that he has ideas for the script-he wants George Michael to be a creepy stalker to Maeby for some reason-so that must mean he's in.

There are also the film adaptations to Cowboy Bebop, Akira, and Neon Genesis Evangelion that I have an interest in, though I don't know if they'll be great or terrible. Also, the Warcraft movie. Most of their imdb pages have nothing available to non-premium fans, and there isn't even a page for the Cowboy Bebop movie (maybe it's not happening after all. Keanu Reeves wanted to play Spike, so maybe that's a good thing for most fans.) Akira and NGE are set for a 2012 release as of now, and Warcraft for 2013. (Don't really know if Warcraft is considered as being in development hell or ever was, but I think I remember reading they were having trouble finding a director. Also, I have a strong feeling it might suck, particularly when then Blizzard talks about a "badass human" being a the main character. Their comic also featured a "badass human" as the main character... It was supposedly pretty lame.)

Can't think of anything else I'd really be interested in seeing that seems far off. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

Registered User Development Hell?

Re: Development Hell?

Yeah, I'm kind of curious about how a live-action Cowboy Bebop would play out. You ever see that photoshopped pic of Keanu as Spike?

There's also the Samurai Jack movie that was annouced...a fairly long time ago, and then I heard nothing else about it. Looked up some more info, and it looks like the idea has been picked up again~! That article was posted back in November of 2009 though...and it's the most recent one I've found. :/ So I guess only time will tell.

Is that Deadpool movie still going to happen? Not that I personally am all that interested in seeing it, but I remember hearing a lot of talk about it, and then some complications with Ryan Reynolds doing both Green Lanturn and Deadpool meant that the latter might not happen at all.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

I think it is safe to say that the Arrested Development movie will never happen. Here is why:

1. Audience expectation - The show was canceled for poor ratings. While the audience has grown on eDVD, it is likely still not enough to sustain a proper box office. Certainly, people who do not like or know the show will not see it.

And with that, you have budget issues. How much money can be allocated to a movie with a niche audience? Also, what about..

2. Cast salaries - While all of the main actors have had more success since the show, Michael Cera, Jason Bateman, and Will Arnett have become much bigger stars. Is it any coincidence that Cera, the most famous of all now, has had reservations about making the film? Where would the production come up with the money to pay these people with a very low realistic box office take?

Successful series like Sex and the City can be greenlit because of money. Movie studios are not in the business of voluntarily losing money. Every young adult on the Internet loves the show, but that is never a good indicator. Every young adult was excited for the Scott Pilgrim nonsense, and it did very disappointingly at the box office.

Blog Entries

Well, that is some strong reasoning, but I will blindly hold on to the hope that this movie is coming out while people are still releasing stories about it and saying it's coming out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    ...Scott Pilgrim nonsense...

Oh yeah, and another one that I keep hearing is and isn't coming out from various sources: Evil Dead 4. Bruce Campbell said at one point they were never going to do it, but I heard recently that Sam Raimi plans on doing it, so... Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom
    Last edited by Taco-Calamitous; 09-18-2010 at 12:02 PM. Reason: better link

Haters Gonna Hate Development Hell? Omni's Avatar

On The Road by Jack Kerouac has been in development for years now. Kristen Stewart is slated to play Marylou... Please, please, don't make this movie suck. Please don't. (I know they will.)

Live action Bebop and Pokemon? Cast them with all white celebrities, and you might have something.

The last 3 Star-Wars movies. (lol ain't gonna happen)

THE SEQUEL TO "GODZILLA" (1998) WHAT THE HELL GUYS

Spoiler:
    The film ends in the smoking ruins of Madison Square Garden, and it is revealed a single egg has survived the bombing. Suddenly, the egg begins to crack, and a baby Godzilla hatches and roars.

AND THEN NOTHING HAPPENS FOR 12 YEARS. I remember being a kid, thinking, OH MAN ANOTHER ONE!? WHEN'S IT COMING OUT?

I wish they'd told me, "Never."

Omni - Thief - Alexander
    |m-e{.}net // theforcels{.}net|