Thread: The Official Freeware Recommendation Thread

The Official Freeware Recommendation Thread

An idea I've had for a while. In an effort to get some fresh activity in here. I thought of making a thread where people can exchange Freeware Apps (or even games) they've come across and would recommend. I've actually found quite a few recently.

RULES OF THE THREAD

1) Recommend any freeware that you like including Applications, "Web Apps", Firefox Plugins, hell you can recommend any good games, I know they're out there. Shareware is also allowed as long as it works reasonably without the need to pay (No 30 Day trials or annoying "Pay to remove this watermark").

2)Nothing illegal or naughty, and absolutely no WAREZ or CRACKZ

3)Include a link and at least a couple sentences of what it does and why you recommend it.

4)Don't worry, discussions/multiple posts are fine within reason. This isn't a strict "One post per user thread"

Anyway to start:

Irfanview:
    http://www.irfanview.com/
    Irfanview is to Windows Image Viewer like Firefox is to Internet Explorer. Have Photoshop, but HATE to open it when all you need is a quick crop or resizing? Irfanview is right up your alley. It's lightweight (opens incredibly fast) with a TON of image editing features, Batch converter, and a plugin system that allows it to do practically anything (although right now, it's mostly just for allowing it to open virtually any file. By no means a Photshop replacement, just a great Image viewer and editor. A lot of Manga fans will also tell you it works great for a Manga viewer as you can basically cycle through all the "pages" in a full screen browser mode.

1Click Youtube Downloader
    http://www.eurekr.com/
    There are TONS of Youtube Downloaders out there, some even cost money. I've tried several. But this is the BEST and it's FREE. This recent version also has the ability to save HQ videos. You can download a variety of ways. Whether it's a single video, All you favorites, or all of one user's videos. UNLIKE a lot of other Youtube Downloaders, 1click, will name the file for you and organize it in appropriate folders. You can also change the output file to AVI, MP4s, whatever you like! Only downside is that it's essentially a clone of Internet Explorer in its interface.

AoA DVD Ripper
    http://www.aoamedia.com/dvd_ripper.htm
    This is a Shareware DVD Ripper. It's simple, straightforward, and easy to use. The limitations of this "trial" is simply a 10 minute limit. So, don't expect to rip full TV episodes or movies. HOWEVER, there's a "Movie Clip" option, a bit tricky to get the exact timing you want, but if you need small clips done for say a video project or you just want to upload your favorite movie scene to something like Youtube, I highly recommend this program. I actually made a couple of short One Piece clips I ripped from my (LEGIT) DVDs using this program:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9XhRzfAEu0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v22Inay1sUE

Media Convert (Web App)
    http://www.media-convert.com/

Need a quick file converted? Don't have a piece of Software conversion on hand? Try Media Convert. A free online converter with a wide array of converting options. Just select the file, and your options (NOTE: If you select one of the profiles on the left it pretty much ignores any other settings you put in). File uploads, coverts and you download the converted file. I actually use this site a lot for my Nico Video rips (FLVs to AVIs/MP4s/NTSC DVD MPGs)

SUPER
    http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

Need something more off-line? I'm sure if you've ever wanted to convert a file, there are TONS of expensive apps out there. SUPER is FREE. Totally and completely. Interface is a little clunky and crowded, but it works like a charm with tons of options to get the file you need converted JUST right.

Anyway, that's just a start, more to come later.

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar
    PIX Resizer
    bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

It can change a picture's size and format with minimal work and a great output. I tend to use it when I'm feeling lazy. One of my most used applications too.

Eternal Daughter
    Derek Yu

One of my favourite platformers, basically a fantasy world with technology that has platforming levels with a few puzzles and some nice boss fights mixed in. For a free game, it's one of those ones I wouldn't even mind paying for...

The Spirit Engine
    The Spirit Engine 2

While the sequel will be released in just over a week and will be a commerical game, the original is free and well worth a play. It can be a bit repetitive combat-wise but the story has some humour filled moments which can change depending on the characters you start the game with. It's a Console RPG of sorts.
    Last edited by Furore; 07-21-2008 at 08:46 PM.
    victoria aut mors

Godsmack Worshipper The Official Freeware Recommendation Thread Omega Weapon's Avatar
    Lived by the rules you that you gave me and fell apart. All the wrong turns down a dead end street so far. I stretched my wings and breath in different day. Alone and broken is the price I pay but that's ok...
    ConvertICO.com - (Web App)

This handy little and free web application lets you convert between PNG and ICO formats without losing any quality or downloading any software. ConvertICO is able to convert PNG or ICO (Windows Vista compatible) files located on your computer or on a webserver.

URL Fixer (Firefox Add-On)

URL Fixer is an extension for Mozilla-based Web browsers that corrects typos in URLs that you enter in the address bar. For example, if you type google.con, it will correct it to google.com. The latest version of URL Fixer is version 1.4.3. This version will correct common misspellings of .com, .net, .org, .edu, .gov, .mil, .aero, .biz, .coop, .info, .museum, .name, .pro, .cat, .jobs, .mobi, and .travel, as well as the protocol (http:, https). By right-clicking on the address bar, you can set it to auto-correct your errors, or you can have it ask you before making any corrections.

Glary Utilities (Windows application)

This powerful application offers extensive utilities to improve your system's performance and protect your privacy. Glary Utilities' well-organized interface allows users to easily choose from several tools. It cleans unwanted junk files and removes invalid and broken shortcuts, freeing up valuable disk space. Its Registry cleaner allows you to scan, remove, and back up faulty Registry entries. You also can wipe out online and Windows traces, although Internet Explorer is the only browser in which this function is supported. To improve the speed of your computer. Glary Utilities offers tools to manage start-up programs and memory optimization. Privacy-conscious users will certainly appreciate its inclusion of a government-standard file shredder to securely delete data.
    Brilliant software, It does more than most of the expensive software's available in market.

Foxit PDF Reader (Windows application)

Foxit PDF Reader is a free PDF document viewer and printer. this windows application is much smaller than Adobe Reader and uses less system resources. I highly recommend this instead of Adobe Reader.
    Last edited by Omega Weapon; 07-22-2008 at 02:20 AM.

Here are some useful applications freeware:

Antivirus
    Antivir Personal Edition
    AVG free
    Avast

Compress file reader(zip, rar ecc..)
    WinZip
    Zip it!
    Zip Genius
    WinRar
    7-zip

Text Editor
    Gedit
    Kate
    Notepad++
    Antispyware
    Lavasoft Adaware
    Spybot-Search&Destroy

Flash Player
    Macromedia Flash Player
    Adobe Shockwave Player
    FLV Player

.pdf Reader
    Adobe Reader

Browser
    Mozzilla Firefox 2.0.0.1
    Opera 9.1
    Avant Browser
    Google Chrome
    Internet Explorer

Graphics
    GIMP 2.2.12 x Windows
    GIMP x UNIX
    GIMP x Mac
    Paint .NET

Drawing(like Paint)
    TuxPaint

Website Editor
    First Page 2006
    ACE HTML pro
    Wordpress

FTP program
    FileZilla
    1st Transfer FTP
    SMART FTP
    gFTP

Sofware Wiki
    MediaWiki
    Wikkawiki

Video editing
    VirtualDub
    Jahshaka
    Kaltura

Communication
    MSN
    MSN PLUS
    MSN PLUS Live!
    Yahoo Messenger
    Google Talk
    Amsn

Anti Pop-up
    Pop up stopper free edition

Office
    Open office 2.0.4

Audio/video
    VLC Media Player
    Real Player 10
    WinAmp (free version is the BASIC)

Web server
    Apache

To burn CD
    CD Burner XP
    Cdrdao

E-mail e newsgroup
    Eudora
    Evolution
    Thunderbird

Pc Cleaner
    CCleaner
    Hijackthis

Firewall
    Zone allarm

Compilator
    Dev C++
    GCC

Alternatives to Mathlab
    Scilab
    Maxima
    Axiom

Maps
    Google Earth
    NASA World Wind

Astrological maps
    Sky Charts
    Stellarium

Space simulation in 3d
    Celestia

3d modelling
    Google Sketch up!
    Art of illusion
    Blender

Web Gallery creator
    PHPwebGallery

Videogames creator
    RPG Maker XP
    Game Maker

Flash editor
    Sothink SWF Quicker

PDF Creator
    PDF Forge

Scientific Text Editor
    Latex
    Lyx(richiede Latex)
    [BR]

Just kind of there. The Official Freeware Recommendation Thread Calvan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: The Official Freeware Recommendation Thread

M.U.G.E.N A 2D fighting game engine that allows you to pit the likes of Mario, Against Homer Simpson.
    elecbyte.com

YouTube - Sonic & Mario vs Homer Simpson & Peter Griffin

You can also do this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILPWu...eature=related

This.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsNPLa5SYI
    Last edited by Calvan; 02-02-2011 at 05:36 PM.
    -My Tee Eff Eff Family-
    Unknown Entity, My recipe trading, PS3 playing cousin.
    ----------
    And then just like that i'm gone again.

Blog Entries

Re: The Official Freeware Recommendation Thread

Here's a few that I use and didn't see in the thread.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware One of the best malware removal tools around. Comes in both free and paid versions.

Dropbox - Online storage and backup. I find it especially useful for college because I can do classwork in class, upload it to Dropbox, then continue working on it when I get home, no flash drives required. Plus if something happens to the computer I don't have to worry about losing my work, especially my writing. Love that sync.

Keepass - Actually learned about this one in my information security class. It's essentially an encrypted database for passwords and login info. There's even a version of it you can load onto a flash drive to take with you. I keep mine in my Dropbox though, for ease of access. It also has a built in password generator to help design secure passwords and tells you how secure your current passwords are. Awesome.

ETA: LibreOffice - If you're familiar with OpenOffice, then you know what this is. LibreOffice was developed by many of the same people who created OpenOffice; they no longer work on OO. I have not tried this yet because I need to use Microsoft Office for college, but I have heard that it does run better than its predecessor. Definitely worth a shot.

~DragonHeart~
    Last edited by DragonHeart; 02-02-2011 at 07:34 PM.
    Family: Psiko, Mistress Sheena, Djinn

"my destiny evades me" The Official Freeware Recommendation Thread magewarrior's Avatar
    "the only good software is freeware"

Freemake Video Converter

Freemake Video Downloader

Freemake Audio Converter

Freemake Music Box

True to its motto Freemake continually amazes me with its freeware, which feels more like professional software. I highly recommend downloading their freeware. It's a no brainer.