Thread: Recuperating a hardrive.

Asking all the personal questions. Recuperating  a hardrive. RamesesII's Avatar
    I am a god, where ever the hell I please.
    Blog Entries

Recuperating a hardrive.

Okay I have this LG recorder and it crashed a while ago just wondering if there is a way to remove the hard drive and temporarily hook it up with a usb attachment to view what is on there. Any tips or suggestions?
    A mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer.
    --Ancient Egyptian Wisdom, 2200 B.C.

Crao Porr Cock8, Go and get a Cock8 up ya.

The finer details of a signature:

CHE- "I pee sitting down after I have sex because for some reason after I have sex and I try to pee, it goes everywhere."
    Nuff said^

My loving TFF Family:

My beautiful go-go dancing Queen Aara
    My brother Meier Link, proudly supporting the World Wide Institute of Booze since 1982.
    My Spasmodic, spamtastic, spammer nephew Fate.
    My brother HUNK, he who wears the number 1 headband.
    My glowing Goddess of Egyptian thingy's, Unknown Entity.
    My Unique and unpredictable mother Kilala ^^.
    My little arcade freak brother nra4.
    My brother Captain of the Dragoon warriors, Mallick.
    My razzle, dazzle, razamatic, razphony brother Ralz
    My younger brother Ryu-Kentoshii Hirokima, the Legendary Samurai who Doesn't take "No" for an Answer.

Literature:

Recently read-
    Belgariad- David Eddings

Currently Reading-
    The Tournament by Matthew Reilly

Gaming:

Currently PLaying

-Minecraft
    - ASS Creed III

Boxer of the Galaxy Recuperating  a hardrive. Rowan's Avatar

Re: Recuperating a hardrive.

need more details. What is this peice of equipment you are talking about? A dvd recorder? camcorder?

Asking all the personal questions. Recuperating  a hardrive. RamesesII's Avatar
    I am a god, where ever the hell I please.
    Blog Entries

Sorry its a dvd/hdd recorder for use with tv etc.
    A mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer.
    --Ancient Egyptian Wisdom, 2200 B.C.

Crao Porr Cock8, Go and get a Cock8 up ya.

The finer details of a signature:

CHE- "I pee sitting down after I have sex because for some reason after I have sex and I try to pee, it goes everywhere."
    Nuff said^

My loving TFF Family:

My beautiful go-go dancing Queen Aara
    My brother Meier Link, proudly supporting the World Wide Institute of Booze since 1982.
    My Spasmodic, spamtastic, spammer nephew Fate.
    My brother HUNK, he who wears the number 1 headband.
    My glowing Goddess of Egyptian thingy's, Unknown Entity.
    My Unique and unpredictable mother Kilala ^^.
    My little arcade freak brother nra4.
    My brother Captain of the Dragoon warriors, Mallick.
    My razzle, dazzle, razamatic, razphony brother Ralz
    My younger brother Ryu-Kentoshii Hirokima, the Legendary Samurai who Doesn't take "No" for an Answer.

Literature:

Recently read-
    Belgariad- David Eddings

Currently Reading-
    The Tournament by Matthew Reilly

Gaming:

Currently PLaying

-Minecraft
    - ASS Creed III

Boxer of the Galaxy Recuperating  a hardrive. Rowan's Avatar

if its still under warrantly you should get a replacement. Im not sure what hard drive is in it, but if what was on there really meant a lot to you, Purchase a replacement and swap the hard drives. Otherwise I really dont know much about HD recorders enough to help you out. I dont think they can be hooked up to PC in any conventional way.

Registered User Recuperating  a hardrive. Pug's Avatar

Well in these situations i go through a few steps... or sometimes not depending on how badly I want whats on there.

1. If you have a warranty on it contact the company first with your issue. A warrinty will be void if you start opening up the damn thing.

2. Id ask the company first anyway. See if they know a way of fixing it and if not a way of hooking the hard drive up to a PC or recovering it any other way if its cheap enough. If they dont have a solution see if you can find out what connector the HD inside it has. If it cant be plugged directly into a PC maybe you can search for an adapter to plug it into one. Maybe no such things exist or its impossible. Who knows?

3. If all has failed so far open it up and take a look at the connector on the HD yourself. If it isn't a conventional connector to plug into a PC which im guessing it probably wont be youl have a damn hard time trying to find a way to plug it into a PC since you probably wont know the connector name.

4. Buy a new machine and swap the hard drives and pray to god the HD still works.

Always be careful tinkering with stuff. Noone ever thinks if they accidently touch a circuit board it will break something. But it happens to everyone eventually anyway

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

If the hard drive is removable, ground yourself, remove it, stick it in some anti-static wrap and drag it to a PC/electronics store. Hopefully someone there knows their connectors and if it isn't some kind of proprietry format you should be able to grab an external drive bay with a USB connector. There's no guarentee the contents are salvagable though, so it could be spending money for nothing.
    victoria aut mors