Thread: Need help, got a virus problem.

Need help, got a virus problem.

I have ran AVG, McAfee, and Malewarebites Anti-Malware and I keep getting a pop up from Vista Security Tools 2010 keeps popping up stating that there are "25 new virus'" on my computer. The 3 programs I have ran come back telling me that there is nothing wrong with my PC.

This is 2 of the 3 promts that are showing up

Here is the third:

Anyone have the slightest clue as to whats going on.

3 fully updated anti-virus programs are telling me there is nothing wrong while this one is trying to get me to register and update. Almost seems really hoaky.
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

Blog Entries

Re: Need help, got a virus problem.

yeah you dont wanna download that stuff, that's malware that will infect your computer if you let it. Your best bet is to do a System Restore on your computer. A system restore is like reloading an earlier save on your computer. It may clear some cookies saved on the computer and stuff but it shouldn't delete anything important. It's probably your best bet to get rid of the rogue malware popping up on your computer.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Yeah I figured that is what it was. Right now I am running antivirus and antimalware directly from Microsoft. Hoping it picks up on some stuff. Apparently in the time it has taken to run the scan AVG has picked up on a few things also that were not there before.

United, we move as one

My awards:

Delivering fresh D&D 'brews since 2005 Need help, got a virus problem. T.G. Oskar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Meier Link View Post
    I have ran AVG, McAfee, and Malewarebites Anti-Malware and I keep getting a pop up from Vista Security Tools 2010 keeps popping up stating that there are "25 new virus'" on my computer. The 3 programs I have ran come back telling me that there is nothing wrong with my PC.

This is 2 of the 3 promts that are showing up

Here is the third:

Anyone have the slightest clue as to whats going on.

3 fully updated anti-virus programs are telling me there is nothing wrong while this one is trying to get me to register and update. Almost seems really hoaky.
    It's a hoax, not a virus.

First, whenever it starts acting, get Windows Task Manager and figure out which program seems suspicious. It takes time, but you usually get to figure it out. Right at the point it starts checking, end the process.

Also, check out on your folder. If you have hidden files and folders visible, you can check whether the program tried to hide within the Local, Local-Low and Roaming files.

One final thing is to make a Search on your entire Documents folder AND your Program Files folder for suspicious files. Then, erase at hand.

I know, since I had suffered from one of those hoaxes and I deleted it by hand. If it helps, Windows Defender usually takes care of hoaxes. Run it at the same time that you run your anti-viruses and you should be fine.

If it still bothers, then do a System Restore. Usually, the idea is that the hoax program hides within your Program Files and within your Application Data (where Local, Local Low and Roaming are located) and store some information there. If you stop it and erase all those folders, the anti-virus programs will probably detect it.
    Delivering scathing wit as a Rogue using Sneak Attack.

Pester me on the Giant in the Playground Forums if you really need me.

The Final Boss Theorem:
    The size of the ultimate form of the final boss is inversely proportional to it's chances of actually beating your party. If you agree with this, please copy and paste this valuable piece of info on your sig. AND, if you're evil and villainous...never settle for a big form when a smaller form is more kickass...

'Tis a shame I can only place names now...:
    Silver, Omnitense, Govinda, Aerif, Meier Link,
    (whatever is the name of) The Stig, Grizzly, Fishie,
    Craven, Spiral Architect, Flash AND Froggie.

Spaces still available. Join today!!

Nomu-baka, this is FAR from over...:

Remove Vista Security Tool 2010, removal instructions

Vista Security Tool 2010 Removal Guide | Spyware Techie

How to remove Total Vista Security, Vista Security Tool 2010 | My Anti Spyware

The first few things that come up from a quick google search.

Pretty routine malware, easy to get rid of. If all else fails, backup files and format/reinstall Windows.

To boot into safe mode, restart the computer, during boot (after POST but before booting) press F8 repeatidly until the selection screen comes up.

Some motherboards use F8 as a boot selection key (stupid, IMO) so if it asks you which device to boot from, choose the hard drive and continue pressing F8 until you get the Windows boot selection screen.

Registered User Need help, got a virus problem. winterborn86's Avatar

I've had stuff like that before, I download tons of that sorta stuff, messed my laptop up something awful, I just reboted it from scratch and download AVG and left it at that.

My TFF Family

My FFVII addicted nephew: Secret weapon
    My Bullet lovin half wolf cousin: Raider
    My complete FFVII nut sister: Unkown entity
    My Freya obsessed, grammar nazi brother: Doc rocco

Yeah I just cheaped out like Rocky said and did a system restore and went to bed.

I was afraid to go to yahoo and look at sites last night because it disabled my fire wall for windows (given I still had AVG and McAfee fire walls up and running.) My safe site search was also down.

For now the system restore seems to have worked and I only had to go back 2 days worth of data which wasn't to bad.

I went ahead and stored those hyperlinks for just incase Sean. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

United, we move as one

My awards:

Che

I see you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer.

You should really try out running Firefox with noscript. I see that icon on your desktop.

I use a little of both depending on what I am doing. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Personally I like firefox a little better but at the time a certified microsoft product seemed to be the better option.

United, we move as one

My awards:

Do the elements trust you? Need help, got a virus problem. bahamuts heir's Avatar

hOly shit, I've seen those before!
    My friend and I used to get them, whatever you do, DO NOT click the download, you will get some really, really bad viruses when you are fine right now. Best thing to do is to reload the computer cuz it will get deleted if you are lucky, nothing important will be deleted though.
    You just don't get it at all! There isn't a thing I don't cherish

cuz I'm bored
    lamest death threat: (final fantasy1)"I, Garland, shall knock you all down!"
    my ff family: pm me if you want to join I might think about it
    me
    my imaginative older brother ethan
    My awesome, Final Fantasy IX loving twin, ViviMasterMage
    Short, Innocent-looking, English-obsessed Brother, Fate.
    Fluffy, Vanilla-colored Moogle, Meigumi/Bob
    my hyper and random sister, Firefly
    my Sephiroth obsessed and Okami playing cousin, Dodie16
    Soul-devouring, knuckleburning younger brother, Alther
    -98% of all teens have tried smoking pot and drinking. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy this and put it in your signature

Meier you know there is an add on for FireFox that allows you to do everything Internet Explorer does?

Also, lol don't fall for that.

I haven't used an anti virus in 6 years. No problems yet. If your anti virusus says your comp is good and that crappy Vista pop up one you never knew you had comes up, lol no.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Quote Originally Posted by Che View Post
    I see you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer.

You should really try out running Firefox with noscript. I see that icon on your desktop.
    Contrary to popular belief on a modern operating system (Vista or 7) IE is more secure than Firefox.

The only security holes in IE are all the addon bullshit toolbars, and for people who blindly click things like mad and install these addons, I suggest Chrome, since Chrome is equally secure (more so than Firefox) to IE without any sort of addon toolbar bs.

Me likey Chrome. I use IE when I have to load things that don't play nice in Chrome (certain flash applications, etc)

Granted firefox with noscript IS extremely secure, but it's a god damn hassle to get it to learn your browsing habits.

Quote Originally Posted by Loaf View Post
    Meier you know there is an add on for FireFox that allows you to do everything Internet Explorer does?

Also, lol don't fall for that.

I haven't used an anti virus in 6 years. No problems yet. If your anti virusus says your comp is good and that crappy Vista pop up one you never knew you had comes up, lol no.
    You don't know that you're good since you aren't running any antivirus, you might be infected out the ass and not even know it. You might not have viruses that are causing system instability, but there's a lot out there that don't break your system, they just troll for sensitive data and upload it (malware) or open security holes in the system to allow backdoor access (tojans, etc)

There's really no excuse NOT to have antivirus, since there's things like AVG and Avast which are very powerful AV tools that are 100% free to a household user.

Also, I'd like to point out 3 antiviruses on one computer is overkill. You're seriously crippling and potentially causing instability by running anything more than 1 active file scanner (antivirus, antimalware, antiadware, etc)

Pick an antivirus and use it. You can do manual sweeps with adaware or malwarebytes, but having active scanning up for a lot of software is overkill and it can seriously cripple your system and cause improper writing/reading of data from the hard drive in the long run.

Edit again: I never ever use Windows firewall. It's always been a huge pain in the ass and causing problems. >_>; Browsing without it won't harm you.
    Last edited by Sean; 04-16-2010 at 04:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post

You don't know that you're good since you aren't running any antivirus, you might be infected out the ass and not even know it. You might not have viruses that are causing system instability, but there's a lot out there that don't break your system, they just troll for sensitive data and upload it (malware) or open security holes in the system to allow backdoor access (tojans, etc)

I do know. I use geek squad programs to keep my computer running safe without having to waste space and memory on my PC. So yes, I know that I'm good. Some people know what to look for also.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Right now I am mainly running the McAfee as my primary antivirus and I only enable AVG when I suspect something is wrong. As for the windows antivirus I solely use it for the firewall. It is not set up to run system scans unless manually propted to do so. For the most part it is disabled.

It comes back down to the fact that each has their own perks and down falls and where one comes up short the other has it's advantages. Also I would like to say that I have a wife that likes to point and click then ask questions later. This isn't the first time something like this has happened and it is not the last haha. It is the first time though that I haven't been able to detect what is going on with any of my programs.

Malware Bytes is an amazing free program that I use as a last resort seeing it lags the crap out of my system when I do scans but it tends to get almost everything when I do decide to run scans with it.

: edit : Almost forgot haha. After extensive playing around yesterday my system is back up and running nominal. Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.

United, we move as one

My awards:

This ain't no place for no hero Need help, got a virus problem. Tiffany's Avatar

My guy does IT Tech Support for a living, and I showed him this thread.

Since you already have done the system restore there isn't any point in going through the motions to fix it already. I had this on my laptop last week actually. PITA!

Anyways, he said that having two virus scanners at the same time is a really bad idea. Mainly the two programs will argue over resources, or try to say that the other virus scanner is a virus itself because scanning looks intrusive to the other program.

He said if McAffe doesn't work, or if you don't trust it to find everything then to take it off and solely use AVG. Or visa versa. He said that using AVG (in his opinion) is better because its free, unless you didn't have to pay for your McAffe subscription. He said that Malawarebytes is an AWESOME program and running that alongside a virus program is different because they detect different things?

I think that was the basic jist.

But yeah, he said you are actually in danger of missing things by having the two programs running. Counterproductive? Sorry, its hard to type these things out as he's talking about it. What is as simple as tying a shoe for him is like speaking Greek to me.

Memento Rhapso Need help, got a virus problem. Rhaps's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, the first one is the one that got me. I system restored, upgrading my antivirus, and got firefox
    At least I'm not the only one who got it

CPC8- 'fo bros, 'fo life, 'fo shizzle

SPOILER!!:
    I won something :3

Also member of something that won another thing

Don't click this.