Thread: Mandatory System Updates

Mandatory System Updates

So tonight is one of the many nights that I am having to wait for a system update for my PS3. I am fine with updating my system but it always seems to happen when I least expect it too.

I hate that some of the upgrades are mandatory. I wish that it was like a PC and you could choose some of the update or when you want to do it. Using PSN is impossible if you have an update ready for download, which to me is retarded.

Yeah this seems like a rant but I do want some input on this also haha.

So give me some of your thoughts on upgrades in general and some of the feature upgrades that you like / dislike.

Also a point to note is that this thread is not limited to PS3 and PCs fall into this also.
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

Registered User Mandatory System Updates winterborn86's Avatar

Re: Mandatory System Updates

I've noticed our PS3 has been doin alot of updates lately, thte last one took nearly 15mins to do.

I've been getting a few updates on my laptop lately, Divx and adobe seem to be cropping up almost everythime I've logged on, but they always appear when I'm doing something so I keep inoring the updates because it will want me to restart the laptop again.
    The only update I stick too is my AVG because it's my protection.

My TFF Family

My FFVII addicted nephew: Secret weapon
    My Bullet lovin half wolf cousin: Raider
    My complete FFVII nut sister: Unkown entity
    My Freya obsessed, grammar nazi brother: Doc rocco

The wii gets a bunch and they seem to be to combat the homebrew channel lately.
    The wii ones can take ages which is the exact opposite of what I want when I've just got a new game, should be a way to update whilst playing a game.
    My 360 doesn't seem to need to update that often and it's been quick when it has.

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I seem to get updates right after I've neglected my PS3 for a week or so. Or I get a message from PSN asking me to confirm my e-mail address before I can log on.

I don't mind the updates, but they seem to fix or add everything that I don't need, or won't use. I think the only update that has had the most use from me is the BBC iPlayer feature, because I don't watch television. xP

I think the only update thing I really dislike are game patches. Some are okay, but when Bioware brought out that Dragon Age patch that took away the Duncan Exp glitch, that was harsh. ;-;

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Registered User Mandatory System Updates

I hate installing game patches too... Yeah, some are indeed necessary (those are fine), but other times, it fixes those awesome glitches that you didn't mind having around.

I haven't connected my PS3 up to the internet yet. The signal is too weak for my PS3 to pick up anyway, but I'm almost dreading when/if I do. There's no telling how long I'll have to wait for everything to be updated then...

There was one time most everything on my computer decided it needed an update on the same day. When the computer restarted after updating one thing, I got another notification that something else needed to be updated! Oh, and I get notified all the time that NoScript for Firefox has a new update. I don't mind that though. Anything to keep my computer more safe is fine by me.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Blog Entries

PS3 updates annoy me simply because they take so long and always seem to happen when I get a new game to play. Bah. I actually still need to get the new update cause I haven't felt like doing it yet.

PC updates don't bother me much since they happen in the background and only occasionally ask for a restart or whatever. Antivirus/malware/whatever updates can be irritating though, they all run at startup (ignoring me when I tell them not to) so for the first 5-10 minutes when I turn the computer on it is slow as cold molasses.

~DragonHeart~
    Family: Psiko, Mistress Sheena, Djinn

Blog Entries

My HP laptop seriously has updates like every week I swear to God haha. It's a bit rediculous because I just want to use the computer but then it's all like "noo you have to restart for the updates!!" and I'm like "nuuuu" but I end up doing it anyway.

The 360 system and software updates are actually decent. They're annoying but they get updated quickly so it's not a big wait. Usually when you buy a new game and are signed on to Live, you'll more than likely have an update for it, but they take like less than 10 seconds so it's very tolerable.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

As far as my PC goes... Windows 7's way of handling updates is a godsend compared to XP. A constant "YOU NEED TO REBOOT NEOW" nag was annoying. 7 bugs you once, and you click "remind me in 4 hours" and it's gone. My anti-virus updates when I first connect to the internet after turning on, but it's typically just virus databases, and even on my netbook takes no time. Rarely do they have a full software update that takes some amount of time.

I get flash nags from time to time but they take seconds, and it's worth it since flash always seems to have security holes...

Other than that, I update my own software as I please. I keep all other updating background programs from running, because it just bogs down the system and waste's resources and boot-time.

As far as my systems go.... only one I own can even be internet connected, being the 360, and it's updates are so fast I never seem to mind. I don't own a Wii anymore and never bought a PS3.

Warlord of Your Mom Mandatory System Updates ultima_trev's Avatar

Vista's the same way as 7, just click on "Remind Me in 4 Hours" and I don't get prompted to restart again.

Avast updates their database almost every day, if not more, no reboot required. I do have to restart if their's a newer version of the program itself that gets installed though.

As for some some mandatory system updates, I could really use the following:

Intel Core i7 930 CPU
    Asus Rampage IV X58 LGA 1366 mainboard
    6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 memory kit
    2x Asus or EVGA GeForce GTX 470 GPUs

Any donations for such from TFF would be greatly appreciated.

Undisputed masters of all creation since 2004.11.11.