Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Do you believe the world will end in 2012?

Do you believe the world will end in 2012? bosola's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chez Daja View Post
    In one sense, I want to say "wait, the year Britain hosts the Olympics is the year the world goes wrong?"

In honesty, though, I think it'll be another thirty years at least before the world ends. I did hear about the world getting colder in a couple of years, which makes sense to me, but only because the last few years have been much too hot and when I was young, I was fortunate enough to witness a couple of truly white Christmasses.

I don't know whether or not it'll happen. As for the world ending, I'll believe it when I see it. Ironic statement, but there you go.
    I agree. Especially about the 2012 Olympics bit. Brits bringing global death and destruction is only to be expected!
    "Ignorant dotard. Have you any idea with whom you are dealing?" ~ Theodor 'Golbez' Harvey, Final Fantasy IV

DANIEL DE BOSOLA
    Born 1476 ~ Died 1513

BOSOLA MK 000008
    Born 1989 ~ Died ____

That One Guy Do you believe the world will end in 2012? dimmufan's Avatar
    I can't believe I missed this topic.

There are other ancient civilations other than the Mayans that predicted that December 21, 2012 is the last day of the world. There have been prophets that declared that December 21, 2012 would be the last day of the world. There is also an ancient Chinese book (I forget the name at this time) that has a coded reference to December 21, 2012.

I don't know what's gonna happen on this day but I sure hope I'm alive by then to see if anything does happen. But if I had to choose a side, then I would say that nothing is gonna happen.
    2% of teens haven't tried smoking pot or drinking, if you're one of the 98% who has, then post this in your signature.

I invented Go-Gurt. Do you believe the world will end in 2012? Clint's Avatar
    A theory about the end of the world has been predicted thousands of times over the course of human history. None of them have come true, obviously. There have been catastrophic disasters, such as the mass extinction of the dinosaurs, but even after that, life was able to continue. I don't see anything happening in the near future that would wipe out 6.7 billion people. Theoretically, it's impossible. There have been logical theories about killer asteroids and super volcanoes, but even so, killer asteroids have hit the earth before, and super volcanoes have erupted before, and yet, there is still life today.

The only thing that I can foresee happening that could possibly end all life on earth, as well as the planet's existence, would be if a black hole consumed the planet. Nobody has ever studied black holes well enough to know what danger, if any, awaits inside, but essentially, the theory is, they trap all light producing objects, and the gravitational field of it is so intense, that no light can possibly escape. But, if there even is a black hole remotely close by, it won't reach the planet for another few million years, so none of us have anything to worry about.

Bananarama Do you believe the world will end in 2012? Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, let's see. Y2K was a gigantic flop. The world didn't end there. Hell, my VCR didn't even get screwed up like they predicted it to. I did love the hilarity of people building their barracks and bomb shelters like there was no tomorrow. It reminded me of that Brendan Fraser movie "Blast from the Past" or whatever it was called.

After Y2K, there was the actual new millennium, better known as 2001. Uh, nothing really happened on Jan 1 of this day either. Jesus didn't pop up and see His shadow, or whatever these so called "mystics" predicted to happen. I'm pretty sure He was supposed to come and judgment day was to be upon us.

(TANGENT) Granted, 9/11 did happen, and in some History Channel documentary, Nostradamus supposedly predicted it. Though, I'll ask you this. What if we had actual airport security then? What if someone with half a brain thought to themself, "hmm, there sure are a lot of angry looking men of middle eastern descent buying one way tickets on cross country flights... on only 4 planes. Maybe, just maybe I should let a supervisor, or maybe some cops or hell, the FBI know about this." Or how about the other geniuses running the flight schools, "Gee whiz, it's just a tad bit odd that all this angry looking men of middle easter descent are coming to my flight school, paying in cash, and only want to know how to take off and make turns... AND NOT LAND!"

I'm sorry, but I really think that if people were a little more inquisitive and suspicious of pretty strange happenings, 9/11 could have been avoided, and Nostradamus would be wrong. (END O' TANGENT).

I don't feel that the Mayan Calendar really predicts the end of days. Granted the calendar does end, but so does your 2008 calendar. Just because you hit Dec 31, 2008, doesn't mean that 2009 will never come, just because it's not there, does it? All that this means is that we'd have to start over from the beginning of the calendar.

Mayyyyyyybe there's a geomagnetic shift, and who even knows what that might do. It might cause all electronic shit to fry, it might not. There might just be one hell of a winter solstice, where the sun is aligned with the poles of the Milky Way Galaxy. I don't really see what that would do; it just sounds like a fun fact to me. It might look cool to boot.

All in all, I don't really see the whole point in worrying about it. Just like all of the other armageddon prophecies, I feel that this one's a wee bit of a crock too. This one is just garnering more attention because the ancient Mayans have supposedly pinpointed it to one specific day. They couldn't predict their own demise, I wouldn't worry about them predicting humanity's decline. For all we know, Ugg and Crocs might just merge on that day... creating some retarded looking piece of crap footwear, something that I might call the fall of civilization.

I feel like this is like that episode of the Simpsons, where Lisa finds the angel at the excavation site, and everyone thinks that it's the second coming of Christ. It just turned out to be part of a Wal-Mart-esque shop promotion.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Banned Do you believe the world will end in 2012? Jesus Christ's Avatar
    In the hearts of the little boys and girls
    Maybe the Mayans stopped writing their calendars because they thought "Wait a minute, this is enough, who's going to give a **** in..what are we at? 2012? Haha, yeah man **** that, I'm done." And just decided to stop?

The world is going to end when we **** around too much with the Large Hadron Collider.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gunslinger View Post
    A theory about the end of the world has been predicted thousands of times over the course of human history. None of them have come true, obviously. There have been catastrophic disasters, such as the mass extinction of the dinosaurs, but even after that, life was able to continue. I don't see anything happening in the near future that would wipe out 6.7 billion people. Theoretically, it's impossible. There have been logical theories about killer asteroids and super volcanoes, but even so, killer asteroids have hit the earth before, and super volcanoes have erupted before, and yet, there is still life today.
    I agree totally. The only thing that I foresee at the moment are the human's themselves that are basically causing a self destruction of our planet. Between the wars, hate, terrorism, the ozone, and every other thing that has been going on for more years than most of you have been alive, we are slowly destroying our own habitat. If there is a Third World War, I do believe that is going to wipe out much of society around the world. But who is to say when that might happen. Although if Bush doesn't get out of office soon it may happen sooner than later. (Sorry, had to put that in there )

As a believer in God, I must stand by my beliefs in the second coming of Christ. And when that day comes, that is when we will face our fate. That might be a little off of the direction that this thread is about, but that is my own opinion.

I don't think it is going to be any time soon. And I don't think any of us will live to see it if and when it happens. But I will admit that the world isn't in the greatest of shape by any means right now. Hopefully the next generation will get things back on track and we'll all have a better world to live in.

lol, i was just playing assassins creed today too. i loved how they put the end of the world theory in that game.
    im though i am very religous (buddhist), i cant say that i am very intreuged by the end of the world theories. even if it does happen i wont mind. the world will end when it ends. and i dont care if im not ready for it. id rather die playing with my girlfriend or driving my car then waiting in a basement like a rat.

Currently Playing
    Dissidia: Final Fantasy
    Fallout 3
    Metal Gear Solid 4

Do you believe the world will end in 2012? Dark Squall's Avatar
    Believe or not...On earth. Yea I know someone like me is too awesome to live on earth but what can I do?!!!
    Who the hell care if the world is gonna end?...Just live your day and enjoy it, who knows?..Maybe your gonna die before the world end!!

Sig(s) made by me

DS Sigs

What is life:
    Life is not like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of Jalapenos! what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow

Why life is unfair!!!:
    When man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment...When a woman talks dirty to a man it's 3.95$ per a minute!!!

My Mafia family:
    Mona Lisa Overdrive - Self Appointed god
    LoVeLeSs - Freaky Goddaughter
    brnthsdiscout - FF Lovin' sister
    DiaryofJane-Music Loving God Mother
    Unknown Entity - My sister and my right hand in the family
    Silver - Enforcer

I don't really believe it that much.

but if you think of it, Global Warming is starting to get pretty Serious. since when the earth gets way too hot from Global warming, the human race will die, but the earth will still survive.

that being said, the Mayans could have just predicted when the Human race will end. but, on the other hand, half of the World is trying to prevent Global Warming right now. so we'll see what happens in 3 or 4 years.

I invented Go-Gurt. Do you believe the world will end in 2012? Clint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Koda View Post
    I agree totally. The only thing that I foresee at the moment are the human's themselves that are basically causing a self destruction of our planet. Between the wars, hate, terrorism, the ozone, and every other thing that has been going on for more years than most of you have been alive, we are slowly destroying our own habitat. If there is a Third World War, I do believe that is going to wipe out much of society around the world.
    Humans can't destroy the entire planet. Sure, the ozone is a bit ****ed up right now, but there are alternative fuel sources in the works. I heard a few weeks ago about a new brand of cars that emit water vapor instead of CO2. I'm not sure if it runs on conventional gasoline or not, though, but even if it does run on conventional gasoline, it's still better for the environment than any other car on the road.

As for wars, hate, and terrorism, they pretty much go hand in hand. There's been wars and terrorism for as long as recorded human history, and society is still around today. If humans end up destroying the world, it's not going to be from war. Most likely, it would be from super advanced technology becoming self aware and launching a nuclear strike across the world. That is actually from The Terminator. It's logical, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrows Neptune View Post
    but if you think of it, Global Warming is starting to get pretty Serious. since when the earth gets way too hot from Global warming, the human race will die, but the earth will still survive.
    The earth will get so hot that many people will die, mostly in China, because China is severely overpopulated. But before it would get so hot that everybody would die, the earth would cool itself, sending everybody into an ice age. It's happened before; not under the same circumstances, but even then, life was able to continue.

That is, of course, under the circumstances that nobody will do anything to attempt to fix the environment.
    Last edited by Clint; 08-26-2008 at 02:14 PM.

Govinda
    My friend told me that the world will end in 2012 because Poland will be hosting the UEFA European Championships, and they will find a way to start WW3 (and then lose horribly in it) off the back of the football. The rest of the world will perish, albeit after Poland, in this war.

As far as I'm concerned, that's a lot more plausible than the Mayan version.

Sir Prize Do you believe the world will end in 2012? Sinister's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The thing about the Mayan version...I don't remember them stating explicitly how the world would end; just that it would end because this is when the last one ended. They just said it would end. I assume they meant that it would just cease to be...but possibly they meant an actual event which would bring about the end of the world? I'm not the anthropologist I pretend to be...I'm far too lazy and usually know only the bits that I've heard here or there. But if anyone knows? I'd welcome an answer.

-Sin

Fear not, this is not...the end of this world.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good..."

Wow, four pages long and I've only just discovered this thread.

As a Christian I believe the world will one day end, yes. However the bible says that we will never know when it will end, so the Mayan prediction of 2012 I beleive to be extremely unlikely. Heck, regardless of my beliefs, I wouldn't really expect the world to end then.

I would love to meet a Mayan on January 1st, 2013 though.

"Sooo.... end of the world.... ummm... look over there!" *scarpers*
    - Mayan

Back. For a while. Maybe.

By posting below this text you hereby pledge unquestionable servitude to Neo Necron

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3