Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Can a white person sing along to the word "n i g g a"?

Warrior of Light Can a white person sing along to the word "n i g g a"? OnionKnight's Avatar
    This whole thread has made me want to ask the question - do any of you believe that because it's 'easier' for white people to be racist (in society's eyes) Black people take advantage of this? For example a lot of today's movies and books and themes seem to be on false accusations of racism. Also, my local newspaper had an article about a boy who got bullied by these two kids. The kid who got bullied is half caste, and his mother is calling the race card. The kids were about 7 years old, this wasn't racism. I got pushed around as a kid, so did most people. In actual fact every time I got called names or abuse from school it was always from a half caste/black kid..I think that the black people and other minorities for that matter have this special ability to make problems worse by calling the race card.
    Last edited by OnionKnight; 11-11-2009 at 06:48 PM.

Waiting for your sister to turn 18 Can a white person sing along to the word "n i g g a"? chrono's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OnionKnight View Post
    This whole thread has made me want to ask the question - do any of you believe that because it's 'easier' for white people to be racist (in society's eyes) Black people take advantage of this? For example a lot of today's movies and books and themes seem to be on false accusations of racism. Also, my local newspaper had an article about a boy who got bullied by these two kids. The kid who got bullied is half caste, and his mother is calling the race card. The kids were about 7 years old, this wasn't racism. I got pushed around as a kid, so did most people. In actual fact every time I got called names or abuse from school it was always from a half caste/black kid..I think that the black people and other minorities for that matter have this special ability to make problems worse by calling the race card.

maybe.... but keep in mind that these black people and other minorities have been exploited(resources,slavery,foreign occupation,colonialism,etc) by Europeans and those of European decent for a long time now.

matter of fact my friends uncle who is approaching 70 and is a former ABA and NBA basketball player and i where talking about terrorism. How about this guy says "terrorism? i grew up watching the police spray water hoses and sic dogs on pregnant women do not talk to me about terrorism". He gave other examples that left me with a wow expression.

minorities....even though i do not like to use that word because people of color are not the minority. people without color are the minority in the worldly sense. anyway these people have suffered untold horrors at the hands of European oppressors so if they want to play the race card i have no objection.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\bit torrents\jiu jitsu\helio.jpg

Sometimes I just want to be with my family and watch a movie and eat some popcorn. But when I step on the mat I know there is no other place I'd rather be." -Marcelo Garcia

To fight is a man's instinct; if men have nothing else to fight over they will fight over words, fancies, or women, or they will fight because they dislike each other's looks, or because they have met walking in opposite directions” - George Santayana

I want to play a game. Can a white person sing along to the word "n i g g a"? Zargabaath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chrono View Post

minorities....even though i do not like to use that word because people of color are not the minority. people without color are the minority in the worldly sense. anyway these people have suffered untold horrors at the hands of European oppressors so if they want to play the race card i have no objection.

Letting them use the race card as much as they breathe oxygen is not good. There needs to be a real sense of racism and not them pouting over something that has nothing to do with race. Sharpton and Jackson are keeping racism alive by always bringing up skin color, you can't have a non-racist world when every slight against a colored person is perceived as racism and not something else.

Also, they suffered from certain people not every person of European descent - the crimes of the parents do not carry over to their children and the crimes of children are not the crimes of the family. People are responsible for their own actions and there can not be any blame placed to those who did not commit any wrongs.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

Waiting for your sister to turn 18 Can a white person sing along to the word "n i g g a"? chrono's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zargabaath View Post
    Letting them use the race card as much as they breathe oxygen is not good. There needs to be a real sense of racism and not them pouting over something that has nothing to do with race. Sharpton and Jackson are keeping racism alive by always bringing up skin color, you can't have a non-racist world when every slight against a colored person is perceived as racism and not something else.

Also, they suffered from certain people not every person of European descent - the crimes of the parents do not carry over to their children and the crimes of children are not the crimes of the family. People are responsible for their own actions and there can not be any blame placed to those who did not commit any wrongs.
    you are exactly right but the effects of oppression and foreign occupation and resource distribution by force do not die with the parents they change cultures and landscapes for decades to come... sometimes permanently...

the oppressor(or the ones not being oppressed) is the first person to downplay the oppression or try to tell you "eh, you still talking about that?".

a view on western culture by derrick Jensen: western civilization is based on a clearly defined and widely accepted yet often unarticulated hierarchy. violence done by those higher on the hierarchy(guess what color they are) to those lower is nearly always invisible,that is,unnoticed.

when it is noticed it is fully rationalized. violence done by those lower on the hierarchy to those higher is unthinkable, and when it does occur it is regarded with shock, horror, and the fetishization of the victims.

Sometimes I just want to be with my family and watch a movie and eat some popcorn. But when I step on the mat I know there is no other place I'd rather be." -Marcelo Garcia

To fight is a man's instinct; if men have nothing else to fight over they will fight over words, fancies, or women, or they will fight because they dislike each other's looks, or because they have met walking in opposite directions” - George Santayana

I want to play a game. Can a white person sing along to the word "n i g g a"? Zargabaath's Avatar
    the oppressor(or the ones not being oppressed) is the first person to downplay the oppression or try to tell you "eh, you still talking about that?".

When does it end though? When the oppressed have manipulated the situation so they get whatever they want without any sort of control or rationality? Will they just play the system to their advantage throughout the rest of time so they may have it easier yet no wrongs were committed against those descendants? Does it end when the oppressed say it is over? When would they say that? Would they not still harbor a grudge at those who are not oppressed and delay the end to further themselves at the expense of others making them no different than those who weren't oppressed - they would be using a different way to get what they want; instead of appearing strong and influential they would show up with a "crutch" and demand for more.

Also, do not forget that Europeans were "oppressive" toward other Europeans; my grandmother has told me tales of the Irish police being racist/ethnist towards Italians back in the day or the Anglo-Saxon Americans hating on mostly any other European ethnicity.

My grandmother to this day still says that Italians have it bad; that they have inherited the jobs that were once off-limits to Italians and that those who once filled those jobs have moved to higher and better careers; she also has grievances with how Hollywood potrays Italians. That would be white on white or should I say white on olive-oil...

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

When does it end though? When the oppressed have manipulated the situation so they get whatever they want without any sort of control or rationality? Will they just play the system to their advantage throughout the rest of time so they may have it easier yet no wrongs were committed against those descendants? Does it end when the oppressed say it is over? When would they say that? Would they not still harbor a grudge at those who are not oppressed and delay the end to further themselves at the expense of others making them no different than those who weren't oppressed - they would be using a different way to get what they want; instead of appearing strong and influential they would show up with a "crutch" and demand for more.

Also, do not forget that Europeans were "oppressive" toward other Europeans; my grandmother has told me tales of the Irish police being racist/ethnist towards Italians back in the day or the Anglo-Saxon Americans hating on mostly any other European ethnicity.

My grandmother to this day still says that Italians have it bad; that they have inherited the jobs that were once off-limits to Italians and that those who once filled those jobs have moved to higher and better careers; she also has grievances with how Hollywood potrays Italians. That would be white on white or should I say white on olive-oil...

smart guy you are Zargabaath. to answer the questions you posed in your first paragraph our very lifestyle in the united states is held intact by resource distrbution by force, financial manipulation, and shady politics to smaller nations of colored people. so in short the exploitation will never stop unless you would like the entire western world and every other industrialized nation to give up their current lifestyles.

you must keep in mind zargabaath that racism on a large scale is a byproduct of either resource exploitation or labor exploitation(slavery is almost always simply a means to a financial end).

on your last two paragraphs i have to agree in full being Irish or Italian in the united states in the late 1800s or early 1900s was not to far from black or Mexican but i am sure that we would both agree that the effects were much more hard hitting culturally(and physically) to those people of color and still is today.

the methods of exploitation have just changed with the times and it most always has something to do with labor and/or resources. as our oil based economy tanks due to the lack of other energy sources be prepared to see a lot more wars and exploitation of smaller nations of colored people who have these precious resources that we have become so dependent on.

#LOCKE4GOD Can a white person sing along to the word "n i g g a"? Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My grandmother to this day still says that [black people] have it bad; that they have inherited the jobs that were once off-limits to [black people] and that those who once filled those jobs have moved to higher and better careers; she also has grievances with how Hollywood potrays [black people].
    Do you understand it now?

I also very much enjoyed this:

Quote Originally Posted by chrono
    a view on western culture by derrick Jensen: western civilization is based on a clearly defined and widely accepted yet often unarticulated hierarchy. violence done by those higher on the hierarchy(guess what color they are) to those lower is nearly always invisible,that is,unnoticed.

when it is noticed it is fully rationalized. violence done by those lower on the hierarchy to those higher is unthinkable, and when it does occur it is regarded with shock, horror, and the fetishization of the victims.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Do you understand it now?
    I said what my grandmother says, however that didn't mean I believed what she said. Her mind is set that Italians will be treated poorly, I

Oprah. Tiger Woods (though he is on the Sh!t list right now). Michael Jordan. Magic Johnson. Kobe Bryant. Hank Aaron. Denzel Washington. Richard Pryor. Eddie Murphy. Clarence Thomas. Zane. Edward William Brooke, III. Tony Harris (CNN). Phil LaMarr. Barry Sanders. Walter Payton. Morgan Freeman. Jayz-Z. Kanye West. 50 Cent. Bill Cosby.

Antonin Scalia. Samuel Alito. Al Pacino. Martin Scorsese. Francis Ford Coppolla. Joey Fatone. James Gandolfini. Danny Devito. Dom DeLuise. Neil Cavuto. Tony Danza. Stefani Germanotta (Lady Gaga). Tony Bennett. Joey DeMaio. Frank Sinatra. Dom Irrera. Dan Marino. Lt. General Raymond T. Odierno.

I see that anybody in America can reach anything they want, but they must work for it and not have it handed it to them or taking advantage of the situation by claiming that they have a crutch. Not everybody will achieve greatness and greatness is not guaranteed.

#LOCKE4GOD Can a white person sing along to the word "n i g g a"? Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So how's this: The 2009 Forbes 400 list, broken down by ethnicity.

Northwestern European 53.5%
    Jewish [or part Jewish] 35.25%
    Italian 3.5%
    East Asian 2%
    Indian 1.25%
    Middle Eastern 1.25%
    Greek 1.25%
    Eastern European 1.25%
    Hispanic 0.5%
    Black 0.25%

The black Forbesian is Oprah.
    Source: Steve Sailer's iSteve Blog: More on Forbes 400 by ethnicity

So, if wealth is determined by effort, are you suggesting that white males are the hardest workers, while the black community is almost completely lazy? No? Well, it must be something else.

Equality of opportunity my ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    So how's this: The 2009 Forbes 400 list, broken down by ethnicity.

Source: Steve Sailer's iSteve Blog: More on Forbes 400 by ethnicity

So, if wealth is determined by effort, are you suggesting that white males are the hardest workers, while the black community is almost completely lazy? No? Well, it must be something else.

Equality of opportunity my ass.

Your problem is you have delusions of life - that life must equal to everyone. If somebody makes 3 million dollars then another person of a different race or sex must make 3 million dollars to counteract the first person otherwise it is "racist, ehtnist, and/or sexist". You also forget that it is not equality of guaranteed success, but equality of pursuit, which is a big difference that you ignore. Success is not guaranteed, a person can only pursuit success and try their hardest but that won't necessarily translate into success.

Also, 400 people out of how many in the U.S? Granted there may be less black millionaires, however other races/ethnicities shouldn't gimp themselves or have their money stolen from them to balance out the non-existent scales that people of a certain view instill on humanity as punishment for success. The country or the people that live in that country shouldn't be called racist or ethnist because of that either because you don't know every black person's situation - if they were truly "wronged" by the white man or that they just don't have any motivation, desire, drive, etc., to attempt to try. We should also overlook parts of black culture that send the message of negative life-styles because that hampers that "evil white man" view that we wouldn't want tainted.

Are you white? Do you feel that the crimes of your race that have been mostly done by their ancestors - not you - are your crimes as well? Do you hate yourself, if you are white? Do you find yourself and your race - if you are white - the bane of humanity? Do you hate yourself more so because you are a male (possibly white) which are Satan's elite legion created to torture the lives of other races, ethnicities, and females? If yes to a majority of these questions: get a sex change and change race/ethnicity.

I think that this whole thread is an attempt at blanketed racism.

"Hey we're white cant we say this too?" "Yeah we should be able to, but THEY dont like it."

.... This is a section for Intelligent conversation. Racism, in ANY form is as ignorant as it comes.

Two wrongs, do not make a right.

Shadowstrike.

Blog Entries
    Zargabaath, the vast majority of the world are people who are not white males. I'm a white male myself, but I recognise that I am in a minority, yet people who resemble me are the ones who make all the big decisions. The UN security council? 4 out of 5 of the states represented there are white, all with male leaders. Which is a bit strange. Don't you think?

And besides, we are not discussing the ability to sing the n-word anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowstrike View Post

"Hey we're white cant we say this too?" "Yeah we should be able to, but THEY dont like it."

.... This is a section for Intelligent conversation. Racism, in ANY form is as ignorant as it comes.

Two wrongs, do not make a right.

but two wrights make a plane.

!!!!!ZINGER!!!! i have been waiting to use that one.

seeing as i have to make this post longer..............hahahahhaahhahahahahahaha

*lets out a loud sigh* we need a joke thread........

edit: in my mind you have to have some type of power to institute racism.

a poor colored guy calling a white guy a cracker is an insult to me but a white guy who owns a business and will not higher any colored guys simply because they are colored is racism to me. to me you have to have some type of power or control to alter someones lifestyle for it to be racism.

otherwise it is just people hurling insults back and forth.
    Last edited by chrono; 12-10-2009 at 06:37 PM.

but two wrights make a plane.

!!!!!ZINGER!!!! i have been waiting to use that one.

seeing as i have to make this post longer..............hahahahhaahhahahahahahaha

*lets out a loud sigh* we need a joke thread........

edit: in my mind you have to have some type of power to institute racism.

a poor colored guy calling a white guy a cracker is an insult to me but a white guy who owns a business and will not higher any colored guys simply because they are colored is racism to me. to me you have to have some type of power or control to alter someones lifestyle for it to be racism.

otherwise it is just people hurling insults back and forth.
    Found from Dictionary.com

rac⋅ism

–noun
    1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
    2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
    3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Where as you're correct as well, I think any form of racism is intolerable. Which if you knew my family would be saying alot. They are some of the most racist people I know.

ON A LIGHTER NOTE, I think a joke thread would be a great idea.

Shadowstrike.

Shake it like a polaroid picture Can a white person sing along to the word "n i g g a"? RagnaToad's Avatar
    So what you're saying is that I'm trying to be racist?

This is a section for Intelligent conversation. Racism, in ANY form is as ignorant as it comes.
    Calling people names does not equal racism. And yes, this is a section for intelligent discussions. I suggest you participate.
    Crao Porr Cock8: Getting it while the getting's good

Quote Originally Posted by RagnaToad View Post
    So what you're saying is that I'm trying to be racist?

Calling people names does not equal racism. And yes, this is a section for intelligent discussions. I suggest you participate.
    I dont know bud, you tell me. Are you being racist? Tell me, what went through your head the day you decided to start this thread...

"Hmm why cant i say "n****a?" "They dont like it when i say that, so ill post a thread on TFF about how WE should be able to anyway"

"Yeah we should be able to say so and so about so an so..." "They can call us cracker..."

Plain and simple... any talk about it is only contributing to the hate. wether it be in music or whatever. Does it make you feel good to use that kind of language? Do you feel somehow justified, or vindicated having spewed forth words like that?

And its a simple question. Is racism intelligent? Does that kind of topic belong here in general?

I never called you racist or anything like that. Perhaps if you feel I did, then you have a guilty conscience, and then if so... Thats something you have to work on for yourself.

Now i might not have been around here alot. Or know people but you certainly dont know me. I also dont take subtle threats well. I can contribute to a conversation just fine, but if you dont agree with what I have to say, ignore it. Commenting and trying to call me out, is only starting a losing battle my young friend.

Consider me participating.

Shadowstrike.

Shake it like a polaroid picture Can a white person sing along to the word "n i g g a"? RagnaToad's Avatar
    any talk about it is only contributing to the hate.
    No. Why can't we discuss the subject?

wether it be in music or whatever. Does it make you feel good to use that kind of language? Do you feel somehow justified, or vindicated having spewed forth words like that?
    I don't understand where this is coming from.

And its a simple question. Is racism intelligent? Does that kind of topic belong here in general?
    Whether being racist is intelligent or not is completely irrelevant. I don't see why a subject like this cannot be talked about in ID.

Commenting and trying to call me out, is only starting a losing battle my young friend.
    I wasn't trying to call you out. I just found it ridiculous that you posted in this thread while saying that this subject oughtn't be talked about.
    Crao Porr Cock8: Getting it while the getting's good

Death Before Dishonor Can a white person sing along to the word "n i g g a"? Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I dont know bud, you tell me. Are you being racist? Tell me, what went through your head the day you decided to start this thread...
    What probably went through his head was "Can a white person sing along to the word n i g g a"..You know kinda like the thread title suggest.

Plain and simple... any talk about it is only contributing to the hate.
    What hate are you talking about, the frequent burning of crosses in a black mans yard, oh wait that hasn't happened in years. Could it be the black citizens that get beat by cops on the street, oh wait a minute that was the 80's. Saying a word isn't hate these things are, action is hate.

Does it make you feel good to use that kind of language? Do you feel somehow justified, or vindicated having spewed forth words like that?
    So you're okay with every other word(b*tch, ass, shit, f*ck, and damn) so long as someone doesn't say n**ger. To me it seems like you're splitting hairs.

Is racism intelligent?
    Racism obviously isn't intelligent, but is using one word really racism.

Does that kind of topic belong here in general?
    This is exactly the kind of thing that belongs here. It is an intelligent discussion for intelligent people. Maybe you should keep your ass out of the ID sub-forums if you don't have anything intelligent to say.

I never called you racist or anything like that. Perhaps if you feel I did, then you have a guilty conscience, and then if so... Thats something you have to work on for yourself.
    How the hell can you come in here and act so high and mighty. For the record you pretty much did call Ragna a racist.

I can contribute to a conversation just fine, but if you dont agree with what I have to say, ignore it.
    I don't see how you are contributing, one of your post states that this thread is simply blanketing racism.

In your first post you stated this section was for intelligent conversation, so why don't you try showing some intelligence.

The fact is most black people do not take offense to the word, so long as you are just singing a long with a song. That is what this thread is about, it is not about walking up to a random black man/woman and calling them the "N" word. I have lived in large cities that the main population is black or some form of hispanic. In all the places i've lived(New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Louisville, Chicago) not a single person has taken offense to it. YOu go to clubs in these big cities people meaning white people all sing along to songs that have the word n i g g a in it.

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kisuke View Post
    This is exactly the kind of thing that belongs here. It is an intelligent discussion for intelligent people. Maybe you should keep your ass out of the ID sub-forums if you don't have anything intelligent to say.

How the hell can you come in here and act so high and mighty. For the record you pretty much did call Ragna a racist.

I don't see how you are contributing, one of your post states that this thread is simply blanketing racism.

In your first post you stated this section was for intelligent conversation, so why don't you try showing some intelligence.
    Alright I am really getting sick of the fighting in this thread. Debate is fine but intentional flame baiting and trolling members like what is provided in my quote will not be tolerated.

I have already had to step in here more then once, if you people can not play nice I will shut this thread down.

If you want to discuss anything else that is off of topic take it to VMs / PMs. That is not a recomendation that is a final verbal warning.

Now get this thread back on track or I will be issuing warnings.

: edit : See what I highlighted in blue, that is the moderators of this forum and the higher up staffs decision to make or the individuals; not yours. Do not do this again.
    Last edited by Meier Link; 12-12-2009 at 05:35 PM.
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

Che
    I think what we need is some african-american men that listen to rap come in here and tell us what they think. This is a ****ing discussion between white people and like one black person, and it got out of hand. What the **** does that mean?

Can I sing to the song I'm currently listening to or ****ing not?

Quote Originally Posted by Che View Post
    I think what we need is some african-american men that listen to rap come in here and tell us what they think. This is a ****ing discussion between white people and like one black person, and it got out of hand. What the **** does that mean?

Can I sing to the song I'm currently listening to or ****ing not?
    who is the black person?

i believe in freedom...........you should be able to say just about anything you want.

with that said there is a lot of pain,anger,frustration etc associated with that word so say it at your own risk. Some people don't mind but others do.

Something smells shiesty... Can a white person sing along to the word "n i g g a"? IceColdPillow's Avatar
    Is it really fair and equal to say certain people of a certain race can't say something, but another race can use it freely? Absolutely not. Society shouldn't dictate what a person says, this invisible guideline. If a black person uses the word, than it should be open for everyone to use.
    How about I wash your mouth out with a revolver?....

Lets be best friends

Death Before Dishonor Can a white person sing along to the word "n i g g a"? Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IceColdPillow View Post
    Society shouldn't dictate what a person says, this invisible guideline.
    I understand what you re saying, but you have to have limits on what you say. Using the "N" word if it is in a song should be fine, but saying the word for the hell of it should definitely not be exceptable. I undertsand what you mean, and all but you just can't have people running around saying what they please.

Quote Originally Posted by IceColdPillow View Post
    If a black person uses the word, than it should be open for everyone to use.
    It is their word now friend, so only they can use it openly. Here is an example have you seen Clerks 2. They say they are taking the word Porch Monkey back, basically that is what black people have done with the "N" word. It is their word now and only they can openly use it.

Back on topic, it comes down to where you are listening to the song. If you are at home, then there is obviously no consequences to saying it, so go ahead. If you are around black people, then I guess you would have to know them. Public places are risky saying it, if you are in a club and the song says it wait to see if everyone sings along with it before saying it. Or you could locate your nearest black man or woman and nod for approval..jk don't do that they might get offended, and think you are coming on to them.

Stage Dives, High Fives. Can a white person sing along to the word "n i g g a"? Confession's Avatar
    I think that the whole "Yo cracka you can't say that you aint a homie" Thing is utter rubbish.

See, now if Nig was considered a racial slur and was not used by ANYONE. Kinda like how hardcore Christians don't go around and in general conversation call their religious mates Atheist and what not. Then it would be perfect okay for black people to get uppity about white people using the word nig.

But in retrospect. I don't see nig as a racial slur or anything close to that.
    I think that it is a word that African Americans have alienated the original "racist term" to a kind of barrier between Black people and White people.

With everything that has gone down in history between both corresponding sides, and the leaps thats black people had to take to finally get their freedom. They had to give up many of their roots and become more of a white acting civilization everyday (Drive by's and crack dealers aside) so they use the word as a key if you will, to their heritage.

Now I could be completely wrong and deep down inside they just think "Oh shi mah nig i'ma cap this cracka" But I MAY be onto something.

So In my opinion you should be able to say nig when ever to whomever without having any long last repercussions or knife wounds.

Good Day.

Wu Tang Killa Bee's, We On The Storm.

Banned Can a white person sing along to the word "n i g g a"?

Re: Can a white person sing along to the word "n i g g a"?

Does this whole thing go for calling typing the words " Knee Grow " in an online chat? It's obvious it's a joke but why/would anyone take offense to it?

Our Hopes and Expectations Can a white person sing along to the word "n i g g a"? Ernest's Avatar

I was wondering if anyone has read the novel by S.E Hilton, called "The Outsiders".

Reading this thread, a lot of the arguments remind me of similar themes in that book. "Greasers" (who are basically the central characters in the film Grease) were basically groups of guys in USA, 1950, who oiled their hair and ussually came from broken homes.

In The Outsiders they call themselves Greasers with familarity, but when "Socs" (Socials, richer kids) called them Greasers, they immediatley took offense. Whilst the novel is fiction, the terminology was real of the time.

I think arguing over such a technicality is pointless... Who knows why it started or why it is how it is. I've stumbled over a couple of White Supremisist forums in my time, and together with the "Martin Luther is a sexist" theory, this is one of their favourite subjects.

I also think referring to archaic laws that were created 300 years ago -- the same time US laws permitted slavery -- is equally pointless. Sorry guys, but freedom of speech isn't real, no matter how much you pray it is. It's an empty dream, created by a bunch of politicans who then went home and told their slaves (in the land of "Equality") to put the dog out.

Look at this forum, it certainly does not permit freedom of speech. You just can't say some things. Is it Un-American? Nope. It's instituting common sense. Someone recently, and appropriately, was banned for making ignorant comments about homosexuals. So I suggest you part with your romantic envisions of liberty and freedom and be welcomed to real life.

Anyway back to the actual subject. If someone actually feels robbed of the right to use the word, then I laugh heartily at them.
    ____Ernest

Banned Can a white person sing along to the word "n i g g a"?

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has read the novel by S.E Hilton, called "The Outsiders".

Reading this thread, a lot of the arguments remind me of similar themes in that book. "Greasers" (who are basically the central characters in the film Grease) were basically groups of guys in USA, 1950, who oiled their hair and ussually came from broken homes.

In The Outsiders they call themselves Greasers with familarity, but when "Socs" (Socials, richer kids) called them Greasers, they immediatley took offense. Whilst the novel is fiction, the terminology was real of the time.

I think arguing over such a technicality is pointless... Who knows why it started or why it is how it is. I've stumbled over a couple of White Supremisist forums in my time, and together with the "Martin Luther is a sexist" theory, this is one of their favourite subjects.

I also think referring to archaic laws that were created 300 years ago -- the same time US laws permitted slavery -- is equally pointless. Sorry guys, but freedom of speech isn't real, no matter how much you pray it is. It's an empty dream, created by a bunch of politicans who then went home and told their slaves (in the land of "Equality") to put the dog out.

Look at this forum, it certainly does not permit freedom of speech. You just can't say some things. Is it Un-American? Nope. It's instituting common sense. Someone recently, and appropriately, was banned for making ignorant comments about homosexuals. So I suggest you part with your romantic envisions of liberty and freedom and be welcomed to real life.

Anyway back to the actual subject. If someone actually feels robbed of the right to use the word, then I laugh heartily at them.
    Wow amazing post. I Loved the outsiders and didn't look at it this way.

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

Outside of America, definetely.
    Hell, I'm white as snow and I have a friend who's black as coal and we think that crap is so ridiculous (and kind of funny) he calls me ***** and I call him cracka half the time. We'd be sympathetic with the ordeals of Americans of African origin, except whenever Australia as a nation does something that hits the media that would be racist in the US, but not here, a ton of people get all butthurt.

I remember one time we were on a train, he called me *****, some lady turned back and started going off at me for being racist and then when she finally stopped, my mate said 'You do realise it was me who called him *****, right?' Haha, good times.
    victoria aut mors

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    Outside of America, definetely.
    Hell, I'm white as snow and I have a friend who's black as coal and we think that crap is so ridiculous (and kind of funny) he calls me ***** and I call him cracka half the time.
    This is exactly how me, and all of my black friends are. They don't care cause they know it is all in good fun. They no I am not serious about it. Shit they even call me ni**a when they see me.

TFFF Ghost Can a white person sing along to the word "n i g g a"? Howling Wind's Avatar

The last two posts explain how it SHOULD be. I never understood why a black man can call a black man the N word and its all good. But when a white guy does it its like a death sentance. I don't care if a black person calls me white trash. I am. I'm white. I don't care if a white person calls me white trash either. I don't use the N word at all not even for fun but I don't see what the big deal is. I know I might get flamed for this post but. Isn't it time black people just let it go? I'm not racist and I know people still are but isn't it a little too sensitive of them? They use the word in all kinds of "rap" songs so why is it a big deal? There is no rule that says someone from england can't go to france and speak French. Why would there be a rule that says a white man can't sing along (if you can call it singing) to the N word?

Beyond me. ><''

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast