Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where were you a decade ago.

Consistently Average Where were you a decade ago. Kurt Zisa's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Where were you a decade ago.

Hit me the other day that we're in the second half of 2018, and that I can't really recall anything that happened from the past 6 months. 2008 still feels like it was like 5 years ago and i've been out of school for like 7 years. Shit's crazy, man.

Where were you at ten years ago? Did you think you'd be where you are today? What thing ruled your world back then, could you say it still does today?

2008 was my second year of high-school, and all I wanted was to be an auto-engineer for classic cars. Failing that it was to be an automotive journalists like my idols at the time: the guys from Top Gear. That bubble burst and now i'm essentially running the pricing team at a hardware store, while saving for muh wedding.

Ten years ago I started getting into rock with the early teens rock starter pack: AC/DC, Gnr and Nirvana. Wasn't long before I came across Iron Maiden and to this day they're still the pinnacle of rock/metal in my eyes.

Also remember dying to get a psp and a flat screen for my room.

So what were you all about back then? What would sum up '08 best in your opinion?
    Currently Playing:
    Pillars of Eternity (PC)

I play Magic! See what decks im playing or building here!

Blog Entries
    I was here. I’ve always been here.

I was looking for a steady job... as a custodian. Nothing against custodians, but I could, and did, end up doing more with myself. Tho I think maybe I would’ve been happier if I’d stayed where I was, heh... I do recall a TFFer saying I was “what society expected me to be,” and if that TFFer ever saw this, I’d like him to see this message:

Eat shit, fuckface.

WISSHIT WISSHIT WAH WISSHIT WHA WHAAAAAAeuuuuuuuuu

"I find this all to be highly inappropriate."

Bananarama Where were you a decade ago. Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So spooniest was either shoved into a washing machine, or was a dj.

At this point a decade ago, I was fresh out of college and in the heart of the recession. I spent most of my time doing bullshit temp jobs and taking care of my dad and grandma. Not exactly the most fun of exciting stuff.

I also spent a good amount of time here, because of course.

Today, things are much better.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORD

W-W-W-W-W-W-WWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORD

there ain't noh
    getting off TRAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII-IIIIII---IIIN

Blog Entries
    Aww that's really cute. Did you wear a helmet in school, or did you have too many drinks before it got dark out?
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN

Consistently Average Where were you a decade ago. Kurt Zisa's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Was hoping this thread wouldn't devolve into nonsensical bullshit, but here we are.

Can't believe GTA IV, Guns of the Patriots, Fallout 3, Crisis Core, Dissidia, and Brawl are all a decade old. What a great time to not own any of those consoles.
    Currently Playing:
    Pillars of Eternity (PC)

I play Magic! See what decks im playing or building here!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Aww that's really cute. Did you wear a helmet in school, or did you have too many drinks before it got dark out?
    Somebody left this plastic spoon at a picnic bench next door at the supermarket a few years ago, with what appeared to be strawberry jam made up to look like fake blood. That world peace now symbol was written next to it. I mean, if you're gonna go online and say "I'm a musician and final fantasy fan," one has to assume they are going to call you Edward Chris Von Muir before too much time gets by. And I know that tune to drive out evil spirits, from FF4, yep. Don't need a harp at all. Works fine on guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Zisa
    Was hoping this thread wouldn't devolve into nonsensical bullshit, but here we are.
    Funny how if you give anyone the ability to publish in a split second, you tend to get a lot of that thar nonsensical bullshit goin' on. You mean the Information Superhighway is replete with road rage and graffiti? Couldn't have guessed that.

I like playing Dissidia, but I don't like portable systems. What, play games in public? Where people can watch me? I'm ostracized enough, thanks.

It's like everything about my personality was designed to get me ostracized in every culture in every way. I rolled a FUNKY ASS number in life, I guess it's just fate.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Zisa View Post
    Can't believe GTA IV, Guns of the Patriots, Fallout 3, Crisis Core, Dissidia, and Brawl are all a decade old. What a great time to not own any of those consoles.
    I just got one of Fallout 4's endings last night. It's been out for a few years now. I love Fallout 3, but it definitely feels like a long time ago to me, now. I was watching a video someone did about FO4, and they showed some of FO3 in it. It definitely looks 10 years old now, heh...

Also, I DIDN'T have a system to play FO3 on when it first came out. I got a PS3 because of FF13 in 2010. What a disappointment that game was.

I played XIII for all of about 10 minutes... It was kind of existential, almost demoralizing for someone who grew up wandering around a lot of green fields and wilderness.

I can get that it was stylish at the time to say something about the industrialization and militarization of the world going haywire, and also the gender-flopped Cloud angle, but ... you know, it's just soooooo serious. It's, like, heavy handed in its narrative.

The draw of the games back in the day, for me, was really stuff like "This is a well. You might think that there is something to it. But, in fact, it is just an ordinary well." Cecil touching a fireplace and going 'OUCH!' The music that plays when you first walk into Thamasa...

The whimsical nature of it all seems to have gone downhill. Trying so hard to be capital I "Important" and captial E "Epic" doesn't always come off without a bit of sticking your tongue in your cheek.

...Villa Cloud was hilarious, too. Just master some All Materia and you can buy a resort house? Well, I wish it was that easy in real life!

A decade ago I was still on the rebellion side. But now, I am finally born again (J 3:3 - Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.). Thanks to our awesome Maker in Heaven, who gives this wonderful free gift of salvation, I am finally on the path to Heaven, in an active and loving relationship with our GOD! :-) I hope all of You will experience it one day! :-)

If you want to be forgiven of your sins, once and for all, then you need to come to Christ (Matthew 11:28). You need to receive Jesus as your Lord and Saviour (John 1:12; Romans 10:13). You need to ask Jesus to forgive you of your sins (John 14:14) and trust in Him alone and in nothing that you can do. Remember, your good deeds have no merit before God (Isa. 64:6). Furthermore, if you have faith, it is because that faith is the work of God (John 6:28-29). If you believe, it is because God has granted that you believe (Philippians 1:29). It is not because you were baptized or have been good or have been sincere. It is all of God. The Lord must receive all the glory for salvation because it completely and totally rests in Him. Salvation rests in Christ alone, and it is received by faith apart from works.

Blog Entries
    You can pray to one hand and shit in the other and I can guarantee which will be full first
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN

Quote Originally Posted by LANA View Post
    A decade ago I was still on the rebellion side. But now, I am finally born again (J 3:3 - Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.). Thanks to our awesome Maker in Heaven, who gives this wonderful free gift of salvation, I am finally on the path to Heaven, in an active and loving relationship with our GOD! :-) I hope all of You will experience it one day! :-)

If you want to be forgiven of your sins, once and for all, then you need to come to Christ (Matthew 11:28). You need to receive Jesus as your Lord and Saviour (John 1:12; Romans 10:13). You need to ask Jesus to forgive you of your sins (John 14:14) and trust in Him alone and in nothing that you can do. Remember, your good deeds have no merit before God (Isa. 64:6). Furthermore, if you have faith, it is because that faith is the work of God (John 6:28-29). If you believe, it is because God has granted that you believe (Philippians 1:29). It is not because you were baptized or have been good or have been sincere. It is all of God. The Lord must receive all the glory for salvation because it completely and totally rests in Him. Salvation rests in Christ alone, and it is received by faith apart from works.
    Is that you, batshit ex wife? I think you may have taken that whole "Great Gospel" thing a bit too seriously, there. But don't let me stop you. Please, continue throwing pearls before swine all you want.

Stay classy Psycho Christ-Crazed Hose Beast!

You can pray to one hand and shit in the other and I can guarantee which will be full first
    Insulting is very bad. Especially without arguments to back up Your claim.
    I have no ill will towards You. On contrary, I come with love to You and wish You all the best. I hope You will be in a loving relationship with our amazing Maker.
    2 Peter 3:9 - The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Blog Entries
    It's plenty ill will to try to force your beliefs on others. Live and let live, but it's quite impolite to derail a conversation, and then to shove religion down people's throats.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN

chocolateer Where were you a decade ago. 01habbo's Avatar
    I can't believe ten years ago I was at University half way through my degree.

Now I'm working at Ikea, if the recession had happened before I went to University I would have done an apprenticeship. Degrees don't mean nothing without experience, still can't complain I like working at Ikea.

It's plenty ill will to try to force your beliefs on others. Live and let live, but it's quite impolite to derail a conversation, and then to shove religion down people's throats.
    There is no forcing. I am just reminding You Your legal standing before the Judge. And I do it out of love. There is a way out of that horrible situation that You are in (with the wrath of God abiding on Your head).
    Nothing impolite here either. It's a sad reality actually. Very sad, to keep rejecting our awesome Maker and His amazing (and free) gift of salvation.
    I really hope You will stop rebelling against our Maker. And that You will repent instead and beg Him for forgiveness.

Acts 17:30 - And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent

2 Peter 3:9 - The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Boxer of the Galaxy Where were you a decade ago. Rowan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LANA View Post
    There is no forcing. I am just reminding You Your legal standing before the Judge. And I do it out of love. There is a way out of that horrible situation that You are in (with the wrath of God abiding on Your head).
    Nothing impolite here either. It's a sad reality actually. Very sad, to keep rejecting our awesome Maker and His amazing (and free) gift of salvation.
    I really hope You will stop rebelling against our Maker. And that You will repent instead and beg Him for forgiveness.

Acts 17:30 - And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent

I have a problem with masturbation.
    What can I do? How can the lord help me?

The Mad God Where were you a decade ago. Heartless Angel's Avatar
    Odin is offering me an eternity in a mead hall, drinking, fighting, and eating magic regenerating boar barbecue every day, and all I have to do is die in battle. What's YOUR offer?
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

A decade ago lets see... I started dating the girl who would end up being my fiance' and then cheat on me. Hells bells, its been 10 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Heartless Angel View Post
    Odin is offering me an eternity in a mead hall, drinking, fighting, and eating magic regenerating boar barbecue every day, and all I have to do is die in battle. What's YOUR offer?
    But Odin is a fantasy. Just like smurfs, spiderman and many others. That's why it is so much better to focus on reality, on this universe made by our awesome Maker.
    Romans 118-25 - For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
    Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
    Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
    Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
    And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
    Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
    Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

What You need to do is stop suppressing the truth about God inside You. Since You know very well He exists and is going to judge You for violating His law, You should repent as soon as You can.
    Romans 3:23 - For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God

I was going to post a bunch of quotes from Spiderman comics with the issues and page numbers like I was quoting scripture just a make a point about how ridiculous you sound to an atheist, but it really just isn't worth the time or energy.

Also, I'm more of a DC guy.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

I was going to post a bunch of quotes from Spiderman comics with the issues and page numbers like I was quoting scripture just a make a point about how ridiculous you sound to an atheist, but it really just isn't worth the time or energy.

thats unfortunate

Excuse me sir, do you have time to talk about our lord Thor?

Blog Entries
    Papa Smurf is and was a far more benevolent leader than a multitude of priests.

Honest question. What kind of Christian are you? You're too crazy to be just a regular Catholic. I'm guessing you fall somewhere between the "God hates fags" "Christians" and the morons who give whatever money that isn't government assistance to Joel Osteen.

On a side note, this is a fucking awesome Peggy cosplay, from Farcry 5.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN

In my final act as your vowed-before-God-and-the-church-of-England-husband, Michalina (not that you chose to honor that vow), I order you to be silent.

I want to play a game. Where were you a decade ago. Zargabaath's Avatar
    Time sure does fly. In 2008 I was working at Macy's and while my co-workers were fun, the job was nothing special. I was sort of going to a community college; in reality I was just wasting an opportunity. I would take a few classes as to not overwhelm myself but that would fall through to the point that I would still go out during class time to the give off the perception that I was still attending. Money blown and poor decisions. That had gone on repeatedly for a couple of years. I had grown bored with school back in sixth grade. The repetitive nature had gotten to me which lead me to being uninterested in a different class each semester.

I was around a year of dating my most recent ex which may lead people to believe we had dated for quite some time longer than reality. That relationship lasted three and a half years. This past half-decade or so, has been bleak for dating as I was in a barren wasteland - figuratively but nearly literally. Location location location - it sure does matter. There were some other factors that went into the decision not to date during that time but I was none to happy to say the least. Now I plan to get things back on the fast track for the time that was wasted but begrudgingly necessary.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

I invented Go-Gurt. Where were you a decade ago. Clint's Avatar
    All this talk of religion has got me thinking about some of my favorite bible verses.

"Master, Moses wrote unto us, If a man's brother die, and leave his wife behind him, and leave no children, that his brother should take his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother." (Mark 12:19)

If your brother dies, you're required by God to fuck his wife.

If in spite of this you still do not listen to me but continue to be hostile toward me, 28 then in my anger I will be hostile toward you, and I myself will punish you for your sins seven times over. 29 You will eat the flesh of your sons and the flesh of your daughters."(Leviticus 26:27-30)

If you disobey God, you have to eat your own children.

"I permit no woman to teach or have authority over men; she is to keep silent." Timothy 2:11

I actually agree with this one.

Anyway, to the point of discussion, a decade ago I was being a troll online. I guess nothing has really changed for me.

With all the respect, but You didn't back up Your claim.
    If You are willing, I recommend checkins: rzim, answersingenesis, livingwaters, icr. Plenty of materials there that can help You.

Wondering what to do after school apparently.

My claim was that you sound ridiculous, which is a judgment of personal taste, and as such doesn't require the support of an argument. Grandiose claims regarding the origin, nature, and purpose of the universe on the other hand, require support.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast