Thread: The best movies of last decade

The Brave The best movies of last decade

Post The best movies of last decade

What were your best movie experiences of the last decade if you consider the year 2010 as part if it? I myself liked Avatar and the Inception to name a few.

Resident Saint Seiya fanboy The best movies of last decade Leon's Avatar
    Anywhere I want to live. Wonderful, is it not?
    Blog Entries

Re: The best movies of last decade

So you're talking about the movies that have premiered over the last 10 years? In that case, I'll name a few.

I watched the first Ice Age movie when it first came out. I loved it, and watched every sequel ever since.

I watched the Saw movies. Not on a movie theater, but on DVD. Sure, it doesn't have any like ghosts, vampires, or werewolves (and I'm GLAD for that). But hey, my spine tingled whenever I watched any of the movies for the first time. I always watch them with someone else, even during the day.

And one of my personal favorites: Night at the Museum. To me, that's just one of the best movies ever. Most movies nowadays have too much violence, cursing, and most of the time -- if not always -- feel they have to have a tough girl who plays hard to get.

But for a PG movie, I can safely say Night at the Museum is my favorite movie of all time. I was super happy when they released a sequel.

Some honorable mentions: Click, Ghost Rider, X-Men, Kangaroo Jack, White Chicks.
    Please read the poetry from two great friends of mine. May they find peace.

"The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
    ~St. Augustine

.............. The best movies of last decade smurphy's Avatar

When it comes to the mainstream movies I would say without a doubt in my mind that watching "The Dark Knight" for the first time was the greatest viewing experience I had. And it doesnt get any worse with subsequent viewing.

But I am a zealot of Japanese and Korean cinema. "Battle Royale" is my singular most satisfying viewing experience I have had the pleasure of having seen. And also ahead of "The Dark Knight"(in my personal estimation) are "Memories of Murder", "Crows Zero", "Zatoichi", "Oldboy" and "Lady Vengeance".

I would have no problem in being stubborn as rating all the above as "Masterpieces" in their own right and they are all movies which never get tedious after repeated viewing.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    Winston S.Churchill

Yanqui UXO The best movies of last decade charliepanayi's Avatar

Last year I did a list for my favourite films of the decade just gone (2000-2009), and my top 5 was:

Mulholland Drive
    It may be bewildering it, may be fractured, it may resemble an especially infuriating jigsaw puzzle, but it’s also a work of genius. Dreamlike and brilliant.

Spirited Away
    Miyazaki's crowning glory (and that's saying something), and the sort of film which can even reel those who wouldn't watch anime usually.

City of God
    Like a shot of adrenaline to the heart, painful to watch at times but always compelling.

Lost in Translation
    I loved how low-key and touching it was, and the two leads are excellent. Sofia Coppola steers this tale to a fitting conclusion and shows that a relationship is simply about two people connecting.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    The best depiction of a relationship since Annie Hall, capturing all the highs and lows. At the same time it's a hugely inventive concept.

Honourable mentions: Sideways, There Will Be Blood, The Lives of Others, The Incredibles, Elephant
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Blog Entries

What's up with this mess?! No mention of the Lord of the Rings movies?! That's bullshit, right there! I am ashamed to be a part of a forum that does not mention those movies in a "Best of the Last Decade" thread. Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and Return of the King are undoubtedly some of the best movies ever. Why? Because I fuc[kin' said so! And the Academy Awards agree with me; that series holds the most Oscar wins for any other movie series,and Return of the King is tied for the most Oscars for a single movie with Titanic and... some classic movie I forget about. Not only that, but the movies were adapted from one of the most beloved novels of all time. SO THERE!!

,,,I also agree with the Dark Knight. That movie was a lot of fun, with big action sequences, interesting, quirky characters, and plot twists (that apparently some people said they saw coming... *shrug*)

Watchmen was another great comic book movie that didn't seem to catch on with the general public for whatever reason. I guess people got too distracted by the blue penis to notice the complex characters and plot that was going on. This movie could have hardly been any more faithful to the graphic novel without pandering to the original author Alan Moore, in my opinion (although the violence and sex was a little over the top in places.)

As far as other comic book movies go, there were a few great ones in X-Men 2, Spider-Man 2, and Iron Man. X-Men 2 was a great action movie with some drama, Spider-Man 2 had some great character development and emotional scenes/speeches, and Iron Man was a pretty decent character study.

Pixar turned out some real classics, as always. I think they hit full stride the end of this decade though, with Up and Toy Story 3. Both had fun stuff for kids and emotional stuff and good humor for adults. Up in particular had a rather touching message at the end.

Fantastic Mr. Fox was a great throw back movie, and was very quirky and funny. And it featured foxes as the main characters! It may look like a kids' movie, but I think it is actually more enjoyable for adults, almost. Definitely my favorite by Wes Anderson.

...I'm losing interest in thinking of anything else to list. So...

Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

The Prestige.

One of the only movies I went to see more then once in the theaters. I understood it the first time but I wanted to fully get everything better. So I watched it again....and a 3rd lol.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

My couch pulls out but I don't. The best movies of last decade midgetbob's Avatar

Book of Eli was also one of those great movies that I actually watched more then once.
    mel 1:32 AM
    Hahah I'm like penis penis penis lalala <3
    [10/30/2012 10:46:16 PM] Mel (GypsyElder): I love Virgins haha

Death Before Dishonor The best movies of last decade Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lets see the last decade

LOTR Trilogy
    Star Wars Trilogy

Both of these trilogies were f*cking amazing. How no one mentioned Star Wars is beyond me, but oh well..

The X-Men movies, Spiderman, pretty much anything Marvel was excellent.

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

Yanqui UXO The best movies of last decade charliepanayi's Avatar

Please tell me you don't mean the Star Wars prequels? There is no way they belong anywhere near any best films list.

And I put the Lord of the Rings series in my top 20 when I did my list, I didn't go down that far here though! And frankly how many Oscars it won is neither here nor there, Titanic also won 11 and I wouldn't call that a great film.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Registered User The best movies of last decade Kaiden's Avatar

Gladiator, Spiderman, X-men, Lord of the Rings, Batman Movies, Transformers, Harry Potter, Supertroopers, Grandma's Boy, Sixth Sense, Blood Diamond, The Departed, The Pirates of the Caribbean, Will Ferrel movies

A have a hard time picking a favorite movie of the year let alone a decade. That added with the was special effects have gone the last 10 years. I know I am forgetting a lot of movies but those are the Movies I actually own from the decade so I actually remember them.

Scene from a movie.
    SPOILER!!:
    [Having pulled over a speeding driver.]
    Mac: All right, how about Cat Game?
    Foster: Cat Game? What's the record?
    Mac: Thorny did six, but I think you can do ten.
    Foster: Ten? Starting right meow?
    [They go up to the car.]
    Driver: Sorry about the...
    Foster: All right meow. Hand over your license and registration.
    [The man gives him his license.]
    Foster: Your registration? Hurry up meow.
    Driver: [laughing] Sorry.
    Foster: Is there something funny here boy?
    Driver: Oh, no.
    Foster: Then why you laughing, Mister... Larry Johnson?
    [Foster stares at him.]
    Foster: All right meow, where were we?
    Driver: Excuse me, are you saying meow?
    Foster: Am I saying meow?
    Driver: I thought...
    Foster: Don't think boy. Meow, do you know how fast you were going?
    [The man laughs.]
    Foster: Meow. What is so damn funny?
    Driver: I could have sworn you said meow.
    Foster: Do I look like a cat to you, boy? Am I jumpin' around all nimbly-bimbly from tree to tree? Am I drinking milk from a saucer? DO YOU SEE ME EATING MICE?
    [The man is uncontrollably laughing.]
    Foster: You stop laughing right meow!
    Driver: [Stops and swallows hard.] Yes sir.
    Foster: Meow, I'm gonna have to give you a ticket on this one. No buts meow. It's the law.
    [Rips off the ticket and hands it to the man.]
    Foster: Not so funny meow, is it?
    [Foster gets up to leave, but Mac shakes his hands at him, indicating only nine meows.]
    Foster: Meow!

The Brave The best movies of last decade

Post Re: The best movies of last decade

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiden View Post
    Gladiator, Spiderman, X-men, Lord of the Rings, Batman Movies, Transformers, Harry Potter, Supertroopers, Grandma's Boy, Sixth Sense, Blood Diamond, The Departed, The Pirates of the Caribbean, Will Ferrel movies

A have a hard time picking a favorite movie of the year let alone a decade. That added with the was special effects have gone the last 10 years. I know I am forgetting a lot of movies but those are the Movies I actually own from the decade so I actually remember them.
    I hope you had fun watching those movies.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    And I put the Lord of the Rings series in my top 20 when I did my list, I didn't go down that far here though! And frankly how many Oscars it won is neither here nor there, Titanic also won 11 and I wouldn't call that a great film.
    Y'know what, all I'm hearing is excuses, and excuses just aren't acceptable with something like this.

Dodie pointed out to me that I didn't mention any Studio Ghibli movies from this past decade. I thought that there weren't any from them that were fantastic... but then again, I forgot The Cat Returns. And to pretend like I am a fan of more sophisticated movies somewhat, I will also agree with Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and should probably mention Gran Torino too (an angry old man who growls and swears at everyone is as sophisticated as I get.) Oh yeah, and Once was really good too.

I didn't say anything before about comedies either, so I will give a nod to Hot Fuzz and Pineapple Express as well. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

(ღ˘⌣˘ღ) The best movies of last decade che's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Inglourious Basterds was one of the first movies in a long long time that I re-watched immediately after I saw it the first time. Haven't seen that mentioned yet.

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

艶かしき安息、躊躇いに微笑み The best movies of last decade ZantetsukeN's Avatar

My favourite is Donnie Darko. It is my favourite film ever, let alone this decade. Donnie Darko is quirky, sometimes funny, generally thrilling movie. It tells a great story, and even lets you make your own interpretations. To me, that is a good film.

My second favourite would be The Wrestler. As a huge wrestling fan, naturally, I was going to like this. But beyond the wrestling, it tells a heartwarming story of a man that has lost something he loves do to.

Honourable mentions also go to Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, Saw and American Psycho

EDIT* Another film I'd like to nominate would be Requiem For A Dream. I watched it last night, and wondered why the hell I haven't watched it sooner. It is a truly great film, with some gritty themes and amazing acting. Simply awesome.
    Last edited by ZantetsukeN; 02-02-2011 at 05:03 AM.

I invented Go-Gurt. The best movies of last decade Clint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Please tell me you don't mean the Star Wars prequels? There is no way they belong anywhere near any best films list.
    On the contrary; Episodes II and III were two of the best films of the last decade. They were visually breathtaking, had a relatively decent cast (with the exception of the highly overrated Natalie Portman,) and were cleverly written to adumbrate the original trilogy. I would mention Episode I, but that one actually came out in 1999. Plus it wasn't very good.

The best film of the last decade, however, would have to be The Departed. But of course, when you have a great director, a great story, and a great cast, you're bound to have a great movie.

I think The Wrestler(Aronofski), I'm not at all into wrestling, but this is by far one of the best character films I've seen in a long time.
    I think Bamboozled(Spike Lee) is one of the better satirical films made in quite a while. Though it's themes may (hopefully) lose relevence in the future.
    For Narrative stregth I would have to say Watchmen(Snyder). Though being written in the 80s Im not sure thatit should be considered a film of 'this decade'.

As for cultural significance. I think Napoleon Dynamite, Avatar, and all the franchises
    (Harry Potter/Matrix/Pirates/LotR/Super Hero films/Saw) will be what people recall from "the 2000s"
    Last edited by JuzamDjinn; 02-01-2011 at 08:04 PM.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth The best movies of last decade Xanatos's Avatar

Pretty much everything Nolan did in past ten years, such as my favorite movie "The Prestige", there's still "Inception", "Memento", "Dark Knight", just to name few. The man is ****ing genius, no doubt about it.

Excellent decade for movies based on comics, "V for Vendetta", "Spiderman 2", "Watchmen", "X-Men 2", "From Hell"...there was even a great movie based on a game, despite what reviews were saying "Silent Hill" is great movie, true to it's source.

Animated jewels such as "Ratatouille", "Spirited Away", "Ice Age 3", "Wall - E", "Up", "Monsters vs Aliens"...

My personal favorites, "American Gangster", "The Ilusionist", "The Butterfly Effect", "Taking of Pelham 123", "Kingdom of Heaven", "The Last Samurai", "Old School", "Pitch Black", "Frost Nixon"...seriously, I could go on forever.

And of course, who could forget titans such as "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, "Star Wars II & III", "Matrix II & III", "Star Trek"...

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

I'll make you famous The best movies of last decade Rydia Lover's Avatar

these arent really in any particular order, but heres a list of my top 20 for the last decade or so:

- The Social Network
    - Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
    - The Pacific (i know it isnt a movie, but i wanted to include it)
    - The Hurt Locker
    - Inception
    - The Dark Knight
    - Inglorious Bastards
    - The Prestiege
    - Where the Wild Things Are
    - Lord Of The Rings
    - American Gangster
    - Forgetting Sarah Marshall & Get Him to the Greek
    - Spiderman 1 & 2
    - Kingdom of Heaven
    - Gladiator
    - Watchmen
    - Finding Nemo
    - The Last Samurai
    - The Runaways
    Quote Originally Posted by Wintermetal
    But I think this girl is uber hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumour.Delirium
    You ARE my number one, Rydia Lover. <3
    current games playing:
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    Assassins Creed Revolutions
    Saints Row: The Third
    Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3
    Fallout New Vegas

Registered User The best movies of last decade sayian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Id have to say there are 2 movies that some to mind when i think of the best in along time... the last HULK movie that came out about 2 years ago, and Kickass.... both very action packed, good story line, fantastic actors etc

Quote Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post
    despite what reviews were saying "Silent Hill" is great movie,
    I thought very highly of this one too.
    Solid nerrative, avoided many of the common cleches. Fits in a good amound of subtext. Great art direction.
    Pulls off being a horror film without the usually cheesiness.
    I would have to say this is the only 'good' video game movie I can think of that I've seen.

The Matrix (only the first one for me)
    LoTR Trilogy (honestly I think the books are overrated, but the movies were amazing)
    The Prestige
    Watchmen
    Requiem For A Dream
    Man On Fire
    Taken
    Old Boy
    A Beautiful Mind
    300 (I thought it was a masterpiece, crit my choice if u want)
    American History X
    100 Girls (surprisingly its not a porno)
    Cinderella Man
    American Pie 1+2 (others got cheezy fast)
    Blood Diamond (I'm South African, and just loved hearing Leo say "hey bru! this is for my TV!" or "Hey china!")
    Saw 1+2 (while the rest are still great, the first 2 were in another league for me)
    Finding Nemo
    Pirates of The Carribean: Curse of The Black Pearl (I felt they were trying too hard with the characters in the others, overdoing the character quirks a bit)
    The Dark Knight (Not my favourite Batman adaptation, but close)
    Trainspotting
    Human Traffic
    Twilight Saga (just kidding, toilet saga is more like it)
    City of God
    Battle Royale (Read the manga the rewatch it, gives more background info on the characters that just couldn't fit into a movie timeslot)

Hero, Pan's Labyrinth, Spirited Away, Slumdog Millionaire. These are just movies I've enjoyed which have fared very well amongst critics as well. I suspect they'll be popular for decades to come, while others will fade away.