Thread: What are you studying/ What have you studied?

Registered User What are you studying/ What have you studied? Cyric's Avatar

What are you studying/ What have you studied?

I'm currently set to graduate in the spring with two AAS degrees in Information Tech and Micro Computer Tech. I've been going to school since Fall of 2011 (took a break Fall 2012 for various reasons), but I'm almost done and I am very excited.

Are you just a high school student? If so, do you want further education afterwards and in what field?

Are you already at university/college? What are you studying right now?

Have you graduated from university/college or have an apprenticeship of some kind? What exactly? Are you working now or are you studying some more?

I'M OLD PEOPLE.

I went to uni for finance doing shit like this: http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...Picture2-5.png
    But I've been out for a while and haven't done any of that so I don't quite remember it. Actually came across that the other day. I'll probably go back to the books but I'm not sure if I wanna go for a CFA or anything yet.

The Quiet One What are you studying/ What have you studied? Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm old people too, Tifa. ^^

I'm long graduated almost ten years now >< Not quite, still got a couple years to go, but pretty close to it. I've got a Bachelor's of Fine Arts for Media Arts and Animation which is a wordy way of saying I make pretty things on my computer for things like games, movies, tv and commercials, etc. But specifically, my focus is making 3D art without putting too detailed of an explanation on it.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

Boxer of the Galaxy What are you studying/ What have you studied? Rowan's Avatar
    Thinking about becoming a cop, actually.

Have you given thought to where or what line of work in law enforcement you want to take part in? Or do mean to literally be a cop and I am looking too deeply into it?

Boxer of the Galaxy What are you studying/ What have you studied? Rowan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarteus View Post
    Have you given thought to where or what line of work in law enforcement you want to take part in? Or do mean to literally be a cop and I am looking too deeply into it?
    I was thinking more along the lines of a PSO (public service officer). Just looking at the hours and stuff now, its actually pretty full on work, quite dangerous too. Australia is becoming a bad place to live, especially in Melbourne. I figured I'd like to be apart of the team that helps make it better, but is it worth putting myself at risk.

I asked myself that same question when I enlisted in the military a little over six years ago, and it's a question only you yourself can answer. If you can't fully commit to that kind of job, don't take the space that someone who is willing to commit everything would be able to fill. I'm not knocking you, though. Totally go for it, but in my experience: if there is a chance I can make the world, or at least my part of it, better I'm willing to give nearly everything to do so. There's no greater satisfaction than knowing you've done good things.

Sir Prize What are you studying/ What have you studied? Sinister's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm studying conditions. But I have studied literature, English and Horticulture. I've made a career of the latter topic. I make most of my money doing lab work, but I also lecture and sell a few things at Farmer's Markets. It's a pretty humble lot, really. I could've done/been a lot more with my brains, but such is the path not taken.

I provide hybridizing, meristem cloning and grafting services in lab work. There's nothing very much exciting about it.

My aunt was always far smarter than I was. One of the most sexist people I know, but she's a sweetheart, though. She's a Kentucky colonel and retired from a lifetime of work in virology and microscopy. I remember I got to shadow her at work. She had a great job, very creepy but it had gravitas and it was in such a great environment. She worked practically by herself in a dark basement lab. She would receive a sample from Necropsy(god that place smelled), slice it up, give it a whirl in ultracentrifuge, build a silicon grid from scratch. Then spray the sample on it, que it up in a electron microscope and diagnose it with any of a variety of viruses. She was even trained by the CDC to diagnose Small Pox and some heavy level shit. I remember one of the doctors loaded the ultracentrifuge for her and mistakenly put all the test tubes on one side of loader and, well the thing goes up to 120,000 rpms. It exploded, lol. Cost the university a pretty penny. Now that's real lab work. Dunno how I got off talking about her, though...

-Sin

Fear not, this is not...the end of this world.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good..."

Queen What are you studying/ What have you studied? Crescent's Avatar
    When I finished high school, I deferred my Bachelor's of Animal & Veterinary bioscience course till after a year's time. I work at a Veterinary clinic and an animal shelter and another one I volunteer at BUT have yet to go back n complete it my colleagues have been encouraging me to start cause Im "exceptional" with animals *cough*I know. My reasons for deferring- I wanted to work fulltime to move out of home (4 MY SANITY), buy my own car, travel, have enough savings etc (all of which I did) ultimately become self sufficient because I need independence. Its my freedom. Im at a great place right now (esp financially) to take it up next year (F/T n still working + volunteering at the shelter) but.. after I finish playing videogames.

Consistently Average What are you studying/ What have you studied? Kurt Zisa's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Last year I took Computer Science, but I didn't do so well at the maths half of the course, so this year I switched to Graphic Design. Luckily the results I got for last year's papers have carried over to the new course so I'm taking second year computing (coding in html, javaScript etc), and first year graphic design which is all typography and stuff at the moment.

I'd like to continue with coding when my course is over, possibly web design or something similar. Actually I'd love to get into designing games, even if they're just dinky little flash based ones.
    Currently Playing:
    Pillars of Eternity (PC)

I play Magic! See what decks im playing or building here!

#LOCKE4GOD What are you studying/ What have you studied? Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I finished my undergraduate degree last year: a Bachelor of Science in Geography and Public Policy. Now I'm doing a Master's in Geographic Information Systems. Keen to get into transportation modelling and (geo-)data-visualisation (à la Edward Tufte, Mike Bostock, my heroes).

I also work as a tutor for some undergraduate GIS papers, and as a research assistant at a semi-independent university research institute, doing GIS-econometric analysis.

At the moment I'm trying to come up with a good Master's thesis that I could end up doing as a PhD. If the prospect of another four years of uni on top of the five I've already done doesn't drive me insane.

I'm seriously considering going to New Caledonia for the first half of next year to teach English to les petits enfants.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I finished my undergraduate degree last year: a Bachelor of Science in Geography and Public Policy. Now I'm doing a Master's in Geographic Information Systems. Keen to get into transportation modelling and (geo-)data-visualisation (à la Edward Tufte, Mike Bostock, my heroes).

I also work as a tutor for some undergraduate GIS papers, and as a research assistant at a semi-independent university research institute, doing GIS-econometric analysis.

At the moment I'm trying to come up with a good Master's thesis that I could end up doing as a PhD. If the prospect of another four years of uni on top of the five I've already done doesn't drive me insane.

I'm seriously considering going to New Caledonia for the first half of next year to teach English to les petits enfants.

When i read shit like this, it gives me a small heart attack. How the hell do you balance your life, man?

edit: i dont mean 'shit' in an insulting way, just phrasing. It seems like you have so much on your plate, let alone going overseas to teach english to french people, its so full-on!

#LOCKE4GOD What are you studying/ What have you studied? Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hmm, yeah I work pretty hard.

But if you like what you do, then you aren't really working, you know? I genuinely like waking up in the morning to get to work on things. So it's not really a question of balance, because I'm not really draining anything that needs to be re-filled.

French is a hobby. I do most of my 'study' for it on the train everyday.

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I studied software development. I found it hard, starting off, but got really into it at one stage. I still study it now and the , but I'm no longer at a school. I would love to go back, but I have a job now and I never want to feel like someone else has to support me financially. Even student loans make me cringe - I once saw how much was deducted from a manager on his payslip once. I earned more than him that week, which was shocking. ****. That.

It's not really studying, but I'm training for a higher position at my store.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

HRH Albha What are you studying/ What have you studied? Aerif's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I graduated with a first class Bachelor of Science in Games Design earlier in the year with a focus on 'Serious' Games. I've been told to publish but to be honest my research is contradictory to a lot of other works, so that would be awkward - I'd need to focus more on reproducing the results before considering publishing.

In a few days, I'll be flitting up north to study a Professional Masters in Game Development, something that I've had to fight hard to secure a comfortable place even with the First. The UK is not built for postgraduate degrees at all.

Hopefully the degree will be as much about networking as it will be about learning. I'm not sure if I want to pursue lecturing and a PhD or work in the games industry - but for a while I've been leaning towards lecturing. I also have to learn to be more technical because sometimes when the programmers talk it makes my head sore, and their Pseudocode sometimes actually looks like Machine Code.

Technically I'm also a freelance/independent game designer but I've since learned that I am absolutely God-awful at estimating completion times. Legally I've reached the point in experience where I'm considered a 'professional' but all that means is I can't compete with non-professionals who are more skilled than me...

Banners and Stuff:

˙uɐɔ I ʍouʞ I <- uɐɔ I ssǝnƃ I¿sıɥʇ op I uɐƆ

Last signature update: 02/08/2014

The Mad God What are you studying/ What have you studied? Heartless Angel's Avatar
    I study various fields of science and philosophy, mostly for my own enjoyment. I don't have any particular goals in mind with most of the classes i take, I'm just genuinely interesting in accumulating more information to expand my understanding of everything. I'm actually running out of sciences to take, only stuff left is biology, which is the field I'm least interested in. I've taken all the philosophy classes we have available, and have actually started working with my philosophy professor on a curriculum for a formal logic theory class, expanding on the concepts covered in critical reasoning. He tells me I should become a tutor, or go into teaching, but meh, I'm lazy. Really I wouldn't mind teaching something like critical reasoning. But the low pay teachers get is a bit of a turn off for me. Teaching is something I prefer to do in my spare time, with individuals who express an interest. I doubt I'd get nearly as much enjoyment from a classroom, 90% of which is just there to get a credit and leave. Ideally I'd like to end up working out at Oakridge national Lab, though the more likely outcome is that I'll end up working as a mortician, just because I like the cold and lack of human interaction. So I should probably get on taking some more biology classes eventually.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Registered User What are you studying/ What have you studied? Halie's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm moving to Exeter to study drama on Sunday, my course starts on the 23rd. Very excited! Most people kept telling me I made the wrong choice and I should've applied for Art courses instead because that's what they've always pictured me doing, including my art teacher. And while I do love art, acting is what I really want to do and have for a really long time now. I recently finished my A-Levels and got 2 A*s for drama alone, bearing in mind I had to do two years of work in one year to get that, and only got a B in art (I say only, a B is fantastic) which was spread out over two years. So I guess I proved everyone wrong.

I'm wanting to do a year abroad as well, and the choices are Germany and Australia. I'm thinking Germany, because it's included the funding is taken care of by my tuition loan, where I'd have to fund the trip to Aus myself and I definitely can't afford that. So if I do go to Germany, I'll be having language lessons as well, which I'm very excited about =D

Sicc in the head & n0t sober. What are you studying/ What have you studied? noxious.sunshine's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My first go at high school didn't pan out so well and I wound up dropping out at the end of what was supposed to be my senior year.
    I went back and did one of those home school programs, re-did all 4 years (as opposed to having my credits transferred over), and "graduated" with a 3.62 GPA...

I went to college briefly in Phoenix to study Video Game Design, but I only made it 1 month before I just stopped going altogether. It's a long and painful story. Although my mom told me later on that she actually called like Sony or some other video game-related company and asked them what the chances of me getting a job in my field was and they told her less than 1%. So I guess I can just call it a wash even though I'm nearly $20k in student loan debt.

After Parker was born, I re-enrolled in community college for PC Programming, but again, I only lasted just over a year. I made it through my Gen. Ed classes, but never got to take any of the core classes. Turned out the school I was going to was actually just a satellite campus that wouldn't ever have any of the core classes I needed and the main campus was nearly 2 hours away. I enrolled there because my sister said I should. And back then I just always did what she said. Anyway. Right after I lost my full-time job, the school cut off my student loans and I couldn't afford to keep going.

The School of Life is where I attend now. And it's a doozy. But then again, so am I, so. Whatevs.

Registered Goober What are you studying/ What have you studied? Order's Avatar
    Screw school. Bottomless pit of money, all of it.
    Working on a BS in electircal engineering (and will be for the next 60 years).
    Im broke like a joke after tens of thousands of dollars of my savings tuition, grants, scholarships.
    Trying to go back to work. Id be happy if I could get a job with security and benefits without a stupid-ass degree, but the system is built on eternal debt and nobody gets a pass.

I hate listening to teachers who just finished breakfast tell me about the real world. Im sick of students and their pointless goddamn anticdotes, mind-numbing questions and whiney ****ing voices. Im sick of feeling that cloud of impending bankruptcy hover over me.

Im -this- close to just accepting the next BS job offer for 18 beans an hour.

Certified tech, come at me! What are you studying/ What have you studied? SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I graduated from a technical school going through the two year program. Those who complete the program can come back as a volunteer for whatever program they majored in. Since I went in for computer technology, I get to come back an volunteer at our school's helpdesk from time to time. The awesome part about being a help desk tech is that we basically are running the school (For the most part. There are certain conditions that require the service of our network manager and companies like EERS).

Other than that, I am preparing for future certifications in the field. Right now i'm working towards achieving my Network+ certification which requires a lot of effort. You have to know different standards, network media, topologies, terminology, security, addressing, different physical devices etc. But I am learning more and more as I look into it.
    Currently Playing:

Death Before Dishonor What are you studying/ What have you studied? Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I went to school originally for networking and that type of shit. Received a couple of good certifications more than enough to find a job in my area. Problem is around here in Kentucky there is no money to be made doing that shit. Rednecks don't know how to work computers therefore the need for someone to fix their shit is useless.

I have actually thought about going back to school for Criminal Justice. There is a federal prison not to far from where I live maybe 15-20 minute drive. I have a few friends who work there and all of them tell me the pay is good but the benefits are even better. Now a degree is not needed to work here, but will certainly not hurt my chances at getting a job.

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

Bananarama What are you studying/ What have you studied? Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I went to school and got a BA in English Lit/ Creative Writing. Right now I'm a construction inspector. I highly advise NOT doing any of this and doing something where you bust your ass for a real degree that has truly marketable skills so you can get paid accordingly for it.

Trust me, with the height of the blog culture and the like, everyone's a writer now. If anyone wants to go into it, I really, truly suggest you get a degree in something else as well. Anything where people would need someone with a skill comes with an advanced degree. Anyone can be a writer, and anyone can read and write relatively coherently.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

What is this I don't even Musashiden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Initially I did Human Service with a concentration on mental health. I was gonna try to get into Psychology from there until I realized that everyone and their friggin' grandmother is a psych major now. I switched to Computer Science. Much better job prospects.

Has anyone in this family ever even seen a chicken?
    Thread killer extraordinaire since 4/20/01.
    Tumblr | Twitter

アズテオル What are you studying/ What have you studied? Azuteor's Avatar
    Studied nursing for a while, didn't work out on account of immaturity, and now I'm studying towards Health Information Technology and Management. I've earned several healthcare certifications along the way and learned a lot of skills from the business department to make myself marketable. I plan to return to my original plan to become a nurse as early as possible. Whatever it takes!

Memento Rhapso What are you studying/ What have you studied? Rhaps's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've recently become a freshman in university after graduating from an early college program with an average gpa and an Associate of Science degree. I am still a biology major and was set to start in the biology department next semester, but in light of flunking chemistry (my university's bio program is 80% Chem, go figure), I was considering doing something I've always been good at; English.
    However, between Pete's post and all of the science related posts/success stories, I have no idea what to do.

Were I to go down the English route, I'd aim to get my doctorate, and minor in psychology so then I could either teach or do professional analysis of literature and poetry from a psychological standpoint. Or I could just major in psychology.
    Holy Christ I don't like life decisions. I thought I had everything figured out but here I am.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

CPC8- 'fo bros, 'fo life, 'fo shizzle

SPOILER!!:
    I won something :3

Also member of something that won another thing

Don't click this.

Whistling Songbird What are you studying/ What have you studied? Asectic's Avatar
    There seems to been quite a people doing same major I am doing right now.

Right now with recent years I've graduated high school and currently in university doing a double major of Computer Science and Linguistics. To those who don't know what that is, it's a field of language study. It's interdisciplinary they're pretty related. Right now I have to say my graduation is pretty much in a mess mostly because during first year I had trouble deciding what I wanted to pursue. Have ta catch up in meeting the course requirements right? My school offers different focuses for Comp Sci programs so only being a second year so far I am thinking of going in Computer OS and AI and all the technical stuff. I'll be have to see later during the years.

"Because I obviously haven't been on here for a while"
    - Said no one ever, 02/2020

>>>:

Oh hey there, thanks for opening! Here is a little section filled with my goodies here and there.

TIMELINE - Before 2019:

The Awesome Peeps (TFF Family):

Moogable
    Bleachfangirl
    Ekimeinna
    Treize
    Rocky
    Tiger Lily
    Unknown Entity
    FF Ace Cid-Silver
    Raider
    Secret Weapon

TIMELINE - 2020 and Onwards:

Music of the Week:
    Ginzen no Kaze (English Cover) - Jayn

Links:
    My DeviantArt Account

"It was nice meeting you!"
    - Said a second nobody ever~

My, My, we have some seasoned and diverse scholars here at the forums! I got my GED at 16 due to some personal conflicts. I then went on to a local college. I studied around for a couple of years with basic courses and then focused my eyes on a camera at film school. It was interesting and fun for a while. Ultimately, I just couldn't stand the people. The professors had their heads up their a**es and the students were doomed for the same. I finally settled on Business Administrative Technology(office slave).

I currently work in banking(super interesting right!?) and am planning on exploring that ground for a while. The bank will actually pay for several degrees and programs. So I may be taking some serious advantage of that in the future!

I invented Go-Gurt. What are you studying/ What have you studied? Clint's Avatar
    I have a degree in environmental engineering. So I know a lot about environmental sustainability, hazardous materials, and hydrology. Hydrology is a pointless thing to know. I don't even know why I had to take that course. I have so many formulas for calculating things like peak discharge by means of the rational method going through my head, and I will literally never need to use any of them again, unless if I decide to teach a hydrology course, in which case, I would rather drown myself in a toilet.

I'm certified in hazardous waste operation and emergency response through OSHA, so that's pretty cool. I also have an enormous penis.

Bananarama What are you studying/ What have you studied? Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have hazwoper too! It was an entirely whoop-de-do type of course for me since it has nothing to do with what I actually do. More of a cover all bases type of thing
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers