Thread: What Makes a Good Friend?

What Makes a Good Friend?

So imagine you were making the recipe for lets say... a friend. A good friend at that.
    What would your important ingredients be? What is the secret to making it close to perfection IF not perfection itself?

Yeah... What I mean is, what do you look for in a friend?
    Is it a kind heart? Or... an outrageous personality? Perhaps maybe popularity is a plus for you? A good listener.... a touch of good humour...
    Or maybe you just like them to be hot looking? With flames totally coming off of their head like Hades

The question is. What ingredients do YOU look for in your friends?

Following the path for truth...

and ending the dream.

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Personally, the best friend to me is someone who is prepared to listen to what you have to say, and they won't judge you on what you do say - unless it's damnright wrong of course. I think I can open up to all of my friends, or most of them.

Having the same interests as me isn't important for a good friendship. I have friends from many different backgrounds, and we are just friends because we enjoy eachothers company. Although, back in the day, I used to look up to my friend Ella - she was pretty much everything I wanted to be. I've done a lot of growing up since then, and although I've still taken one or two leaves from her book, I believe that sometimes a good friend shows you who you are. If that makes any sense lol... ^^;;

Another thing I love about all my friend is that no matter what mood I am in, they'll always come up with something to make me smile - it could be a joke, or a cuddle, or a gesture... it'll always cheer me up, and once or twice I've cheered up faster talking to a friend than my family.

^^

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

waltz for the moon What Makes a Good Friend? Kisaragi^^'s Avatar
    in my opinion, friend is a place where I can share laughter and tears.
    I need a friend 'cause friend can make my day-to-day became more colorful and cheerful.
    Although sometimes friends can be dangerous, but it will not happen if we share and understand each other,
    Only friends who make us happy, only friends who make us laugh, for me that's quite enough ^^
    My TFF Family ^^

- my Annoying, Pestering, yet Lovable cousin.....Ralz
    - my Loving Sweet and Slightly Crazy Cousin......PurpleDiamond

Shake it like a polaroid picture What Makes a Good Friend? RagnaToad's Avatar
    To me, the definition of a friend is someone who accepts you for who you are.

Common interests aren't as important as a common way of thinking, I believe. Also, shared experiences give birth to a lot of long lasting friendships.

The great thing about a good friend is that you can disagree on anything, but at the end of the day, you're still friends.

Just like with love, you don't know what real friendship is until you've been there.

There's nothing more to say really.
    Crao Porr Cock8: Getting it while the getting's good

Gingersnap What Makes a Good Friend? OceanEyes28's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't know why, but I inserted the word "tasty" into your first sentence like twice. And went back trying to find it to prove it wasn't just me who wanted a "tasty" recipe for a "tasty" friend.

That being said, uh...

A love of humor. I like to laugh. I like to laugh with friends. I don't want some asshole telling me the things I think are funny aren't funny.

I can't really deal with a lot of insecurity. It manifests in a lot of ways. I don't want to always have to be building someone up. I don't want someone trying to assert maturity or intelligence so they can be "in charge." I don't want them trying to pit me against other people or other friends. And I definitely don't want them tearing me down so they feel like the winner they ain't. All that insecurity can put a lot of stress on a friendship. I've dealt with all of that. It's shit. And we're not friends anymore.

My closest friends are genuinely sweet people. They care about me, I care about them, and there's not a dominance struggle going on. There's trust. And I that's what's most important in any relationship. With trust you get mutual respect, no jealousy, no clinginess, open affection, good conversation, and a lot of laughter. And if you need something, you know they've got you. Just like you'd take care of them when they needed it.

And tasty friends.
    Last edited by OceanEyes28; 06-17-2009 at 09:46 AM.
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

Nicest Female 2006. Best Couple 2006. Nicest Female 2005. Best Couple 2005. Tie for Nicest Female 2004. Best Couple 2004. Flamer of the Week 2005.

"I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."

. SOLDIER ('04) . cHoSeN ('04) . Por Rorr Kitty9 ('09).
    HEY DO YOU LIKE MUSIC? Because I make music.
    LISTEN HERE!

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar
    Those who are not my enemy are my friend and that's why a ton of my friends aren't really so friendly!

As for my good friends, I like when we have a few things either in common or are just accepting of those things even if one lacks them. A drunk like myself goes absolutely mad when in the company of someone proclaiming alcohol to be the devil for example...
    Also I tend to like people who are unique unless that 'unique' is merely conforming with some small group of 'unique' people who really aren't too unique at all. Most of my closest friends have some serious balls and stay very true to who they actually are. They question what's thrown at them and make their own preferences much as I do.

I find I can make good friends with a lot of people, but most of them are from a narrower slice of humanity. They tend to be the people who aren't backstabbing or compromising their integrity in the eyes of others. Good people who're often overlooked by both 'cool people' and mainstream society. I like them as I feel I can trust them and when they trust me back I know things are sweet.
    victoria aut mors

Maybe I did mean tasty friends OceanEyes... in some cultures it's routine to eat the ones you love. *Sharpens knife and holds fork ready* XD

As for me! I have a pretty general recipe to be honest... I like to try and see the good in all and so in turn try to be a friend to them. But here goes for the random list:

Kindness. I just need to see a glimmer of it... Just to know you care and don't just think about yourself. Kindness is a very important attribute for any friendship.

A sprinkling of humour (all sorts ). Laughter is a wonderful thing and if you are able to have it in your friendship then that's real special.

A few drops of caring nature. You know.. when you're down... there's nothing better than your friend trying to cheer you up.

Add in a good listener. Not just for them but for yourself too!

A few cups of trust. Trust is always important. Never forget!

Following the path for truth...

and ending the dream.

Lord Deity of Harmony What Makes a Good Friend? Elyon Seraphim's Avatar
    I want trustworthy friends... All other friends i had was not trustworthy at all! Now... im just an sad soul lookig for friends... but i can stand it out! I mean i haven't had a trustwhorty friend in nearly 3 years! ... But if i can stand 3 years... i can stand 4... but its just sad that i search for friends like this...
    My Reaction of People That Points The Obvious

This is my Daily Day in 2Fort
    My TFF Family:
    Still working on rewamping this, Just give a shout if you wanna join!

~☆~Muahahaha!!!~☆~ What Makes a Good Friend? SilkAngel's Avatar
    A city where the traffic is slower than a fat kid in a sandbox. -__- A REALLY fat kid. >.<
    This topic makes me feel all fuzzy and warm! I suppose you have the power to do that, Kilala XD
    Hmmm, I only have a few things I look for, but they are very important to me!

Kind/Loving/Sweet
    However you view it, being a kind person is good in any friendship :3 Being able to listen to other people and help them out is also part of kindness, I believe.

Humor
    Who doesn't love to laugh and make people laugh? It doesn't even have to be alot, it just has to be tucked away somewhere in a corner of your heart for it to mean anything ^.^

All around good person
    No, you don't have to be a total angel, but at least be someone who is intelligent, knows right from wrong, and won't do stupid stuff just to get attention. I would hate if one of my friends got hurt ;.;
    My TFF Family! <3

Fate, my cuddly and lovable brother-in-law.

Armageddon, my awesome, evil, chaotic younger brother.

The Whitemage, Curaga's only 300gil What Makes a Good Friend? TehRealDinnin's Avatar
    Hmmm you know all of my 'friends' in real life either just get on my nerves or drive me absolutely crazy. Its more so the people I hang out with. I don't really think of them as friends in some ways. Actually the perfect friend for me is to just be alone. I mostly hate people, being by myself gets my battery charged so to speak. I have more energy the more time I spend alone the better, I wouldn't mind having a girl with me every now and than but mostly I like being alone. So I wouldn't really wanna make a good friend, nor do I really have one with certain qualities.

Don't be a moron.
    Shared interests.
    Similar way of thinking.
    Kind.
    Likes to listen.
    Shares things for me to listen.
    Similar sense of humor.
    <4 ft. tall and looks good in a pink skirt. Not really.

I don't make many friends, nor do I care to have many friends. A couple of good friends is good enough for me, and I prefer that in a good friend as well. Too many people around ruin my mood.

Genocide Unfolds, I Forgive All Chez Daja's Avatar
    A friend is somebody who has a fairly likeminded outlook as me.
    I'm not saying they couldn't be the polar opposite, but I need somebody who doesn't take life too seriously. Somebody who isn't overly enthusiastic about going to boring house parties, too. I like people with a sense of humour and kind word. I find a potential friend in about a quarter of people I meet, but I'm rarely able to excersize this as much as I'd like to.
    That said, I'd also like somebody who could listen if something serious happened to come up. I'm a good talker and listener so conversation is important and I can always offer an ear, or advise if they needed it.

I think one of the worst qualities a friend could have, apart from being untrustworthy would be one who's too clingy. I spend as much as time as I possibly can with people and if that's not good enough then maybe things won't work out. I'm cool to talk a lot, but I really can't stand people who want constant 24/7 contact. I need a lot of space, so if somebody can offer that then it's all good. I like to be able to have a couple of days off from people sometimes; that's not an insult to anybody. I've just always needed a lot of space.

That said; I actually end up spending a lot of time with people who are my polar opposite in terms of general personality. I'm pretty laid back and quiet but I tend to be attracted friendship-wise to girls with a lot of energy and a lot to say. Something about it makes me feel good about talking to them, I think. It makes me feel like we appreciate each others' company and that's a really awesome thing to have.
    Male-wise, I generally get along with guys who like the same music as me because we have an instant subject to talk about. Artsy people are good too; I studied fine arts in college and I spend a lot of time working; it's cool to know my friends are working on their own projects too.

Basically; be a decent person with a sense of humour and I'll probably get along with you just fine.

The person in my avatar is me.

THIS SIGNATURE IS VERY DISTRACTINGS

I was the holder of the highest amount of rep that ever lived on TFF. 1788. lolz. I ween.

Bananarama What Makes a Good Friend? Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A friend will be there to bail you out of jail. A good friend will be sitting there next to you saying "that was fun!"

Basically, a good friend is someone who will be there for you when it looks like everyone else has totally bailed. It's way more than just sharing common interests, but being able to trust them with pretty much everything and anything. I'm happy to say that I have quite a few friends like this, and I can only hope that they see me in the same light.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Che
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    A friend will be there to bail you out of jail. A good friend will be sitting there next to you saying "that was fun!"

Basically, a good friend is someone who will be there for you when it looks like everyone else has totally bailed. It's way more than just sharing common interests, but being able to trust them with pretty much everything and anything. I'm happy to say that I have quite a few friends like this, and I can only hope that they see me in the same light.
    This.

And good friends are the only real friends you have, everyone else is just an acquaintance.

Che
    I know I'm double posting but why does it seem like I kill a lot of threads rather than invoke conversation? :S F uck that shit.

A good friend is someone who will support you no matter what and always be there for you. They'll stay by you in good or bad and be very trustworthy. Also it's nice if they listen to you and actually sound interested lol, unlike some people I know. I always listen to people so I like for them to do the same for me sometimes. For some reason I have always wanted a guy best friend, for a long time and now I have, for a few years now. I love him. ^^

CC's YouTube Page|Add me on last.fm
    Is on Facebook so feel free to add me. =)

Registered User What Makes a Good Friend? Yesha's Avatar
    For me.. Friend.. is someone you couLd trust! And aLways there for you no matter what.. I Like having a good Laugh with a friend.. and know to heLp one another! A Friend shouLd aLso.. know to accept who you are and what you are.. set aside the differences.. and respects you.. :-) The most important is, you trust, Listen, respect and heLp each other..
    CLICK IT! TO SEE MY STUFFS:

Quote for the month:
    “Try harder to succeed.”

What am I Loving right now?:
    YOU!

My Art Thread: http://thefinalfantasy.net/forum...ngs-lol-3.html

"HELLO GUYS!"

Asking all the personal questions. What Makes a Good Friend? RamesesII's Avatar
    I am a god, where ever the hell I please.
    Blog Entries
    What makes a good friend?

Obviously someone who listens to you and stops to pay attention to you and doesn't put him/her self ahead of you.
    Some one is ready to roll up his sleeves and prepared to have some fisticuffs to defend you or protect you.
    Noticeable enjoys being around you and talking to you.
    Respects you but in order for this you need to respect them as well after all what you give you get back in return.
    Is ready to drop stuff his doing to be able to help you within reasonable measures of course.
    Someone who will be glad to listen to your problems etc whether it be 5pm in the afternoon or 1 in the morning.
    You can sit down and have a drink with and just talk and laugh etc and push aside the seriousness of life.
    Someone who reminds you of how good you have it and how good of a person you are and picks you up when down and keeps you on track with life.

One of most important points is- A good friend is someone you can not see for years or months and you catch up and start off right where you left putting things that happened in the past behind them, and someone you can just contently talk and talk and talk and never get bored or run out of things to talk about and you can always have something to laugh about or cry about.
    I know I'm double posting but why does it seem like I kill a lot of threads rather than invoke conversation? :S F uck that shit.
    Hey when your a tff god who cares haha you will survive Che.
    Last edited by RamesesII; 06-18-2009 at 04:10 AM.
    A mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer.
    --Ancient Egyptian Wisdom, 2200 B.C.

Crao Porr Cock8, Go and get a Cock8 up ya.

The finer details of a signature:

CHE- "I pee sitting down after I have sex because for some reason after I have sex and I try to pee, it goes everywhere."
    Nuff said^

My loving TFF Family:

My beautiful go-go dancing Queen Aara
    My brother Meier Link, proudly supporting the World Wide Institute of Booze since 1982.
    My Spasmodic, spamtastic, spammer nephew Fate.
    My brother HUNK, he who wears the number 1 headband.
    My glowing Goddess of Egyptian thingy's, Unknown Entity.
    My Unique and unpredictable mother Kilala ^^.
    My little arcade freak brother nra4.
    My brother Captain of the Dragoon warriors, Mallick.
    My razzle, dazzle, razamatic, razphony brother Ralz
    My younger brother Ryu-Kentoshii Hirokima, the Legendary Samurai who Doesn't take "No" for an Answer.

Literature:

Recently read-
    Belgariad- David Eddings

Currently Reading-
    The Tournament by Matthew Reilly

Gaming:

Currently PLaying

-Minecraft
    - ASS Creed III

for me being a good friend means you are the one that can be rely on no matter what happens... this good friend may not be perfect (we should expect that to our friend) but still try his very best to recover the things he may fail. Many people sometimes really got dissapointed to their friend/s because they got a very high expectations from the very beginning of the friendship. If you want to be a good friend, the very first thing you need to consider is be true to yourself! tell him or her what weaknesses do you get in any areas of your life. Don't be so pretentious as if you can do all the things that makes your friend/s expects from you. It is better to be like that than letting him or her dissapointed. And then most of all, love your friend... not because of what they have or not because they are famous... love them for who they are.

isn't that good to have friends in life??? i am still hoping to have more friends

oh... before i end this post i just want to say that... don't be a bad influence to your friends! Be a good example!! that's how a good friend should be!!

Saved from wrath
    Romans 6:23

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar
    Spongebob: It's not about winning, it's about fun!
    Plankton: What's that?
    Spongebob: Fun is when you...fun is...it' like...it's kinda...sorta like a...
    What is fun?? HERE...Let me spell it for you!
    Spongebob:
    F is for Friends who do stuff together.
    U is for You and me.
    N is for Anywhere and anytime at all.
    Sea Creatures:
    Down here in the deep blue sea!
    Plankton:
    F is for Fire that burns down the whole town.
    U is for URANIUM...BOMBS!
    N is for No survivors when you're-
    Spongebob:
    Plankton! Those things aren't what fun is all about!
    Now, do it like this,
    F is for Friends who do stuff to-
    Plankton:
    Never! That's completely idiotic!
    Spongebob:
    Here, Let me help you...
    F is for friends who do stuff together.
    U is for You and me, TRY IT!
    Plankton:
    N is for Anywhere and anytime at all.
    Sea Creatures:
    Down here in the deep blue sea!
    Plankton:
    Wait...I don't understand ...I feel all tingly inside...
    Should we stop?
    Spongebob:
    No! That's how you're supposed to feel!
    Plankton:
    Well I like it! Lets do it again!
    Spongebob:
    Okay!
    Spongebob & Plankton:
    F is for Frolic through all the flowers.
    U is for Ukelele.
    N is for Nose picking, chewing gum, and sand licking.
    Here with my best buddy.
    Sea Creatures:
    Down in the deep blue sea.
    victoria aut mors

Imperius Rex What Makes a Good Friend? Storm's Avatar
    A friend for me must be intelligant, have a sense of humor, and must be dependable. I like to be able to discuss heavy subjects with people, yet still be able to mess around and go crazy! I like to think that my friends are comfortable with talking to me if they have something on their mind, and I expect the same in return. I like people to be laid-back, although I do have some friends who are quite extrovert, yet are still lovely, dependable people! Everybody has flaws too, some of which affect the individual more than others, and its important for friends to be able to sympathise with these flaws. For example, I am known for being bad at coping with stress. I'm not a nice person to be around when i'm very stressed as I seem to drain away the light from the room! I will often know that i'm being an arsehole too, but its always nice when friends help me realise that i'm over-reacting and try to help me. It's something i'm thankful for, and I will try the same in return. That leads on to another point- relationships being a 2-way thing. One party cannot do all the work for a friendship to happen. Absolute selfishness is a big no-no!

Variation is good- a couple of my friends enjoy drawing as much as me and I can spend hours doodling away while chatting. Some of my friends I will go for long walks with, others I will play videogames with, others i'll roleplay with etc.
    PSN username: Raikujaku
    A meow-ed member of PRK9

Fading into a dream What Makes a Good Friend? Dean Winchester's Avatar
    Someone that'll listen to you and not judge you after a couple of chats. I don't really have many friends if at all, but i don't really try to talk to people anymore because most of them do that^^.

Sig and ave made by Violet, thanks again Violet!

A friend is someone who you like to be around and someone who likes to be around you, and who accepts at least most of who you are. To this day, I've yet to meet any person who hasn't argued with me, rolled their eyes at me at least five times at things I've said, or said something mean at least once, but that's fine because those people who I consider my friends anyway have other characteristics that make me love them.

In a friend, the one thing I look most for is acceptance and patience. If they can tolerate me then we're set. The rest just makes it a little more fun to hang with them. A good sense of humor is nice too, since I like to crack jokes and pranks all the time. Someone who can laugh and poke me back with something so that we can just run with the stupid subject until we're both on the ground laughing is a great amount of fun to be around. Then anyone willing to lend me an ear when I need and is also willing to put some trust in me when they have something to say is also nice.

They don't have to have the same interests though. Any of that doesn't matter unless they hate manga, music, hair, or potatoes. If they do, I'm sad. >.>

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth What Makes a Good Friend? Xanatos's Avatar
    A good friend is someone that you can always trust, someone that you can rely on no matter what. Good friend knows you and understands you better than anyone. He cares about you and he wouldn't allow that anything bad happens to you. He is like your personal guardian angel. I have bunch of good friends but there is only one that is truly my good friend.
    Last edited by Xanatos; 07-18-2009 at 04:09 AM.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

RinoaHeartillyAngel
    That's an interesting question...
    Well, for me at least, a good friend can be just anyone that really cares and looks up to you in my opinion.
    A person that will always come to your aid when you need it and be by your side to both share your happiness and sadness.
    A good friend is a person that you can trust blindly and will never let you down or betray your secrets.

That's how a good friend is in my opinion...

~Noone can predict the future, there are no guarantees~
    Nagia

Warrior Ninja What Makes a Good Friend? Led Zeppelin's Avatar
    Here's my recipe ^^ :

Humour: Number one thing I look for... I love funny people who came make me lauggh so hard XD... I tend to have the best time with someone who had a real sense of humour over any subject

Loyalty: I like it when people are loyal to you and would never take back their word... To me if a friend wasn't loyal it wouldn't make much sense to be super close with them ^^

Friendly: Friendly people are great to hang around with and are easy to talk too... They always say such nice things too, which makes them great to be best friends with

Dependable: I need a friend that I can trust and depend on... It makes friendship come far more easy if you can depend on each other and help each other out..

All is One.One is All. What Makes a Good Friend? Firefly's Avatar
    A good friend for me has to be nice,funny,caring,not selfish,and patient(cuz I talk alot).The friends I have right now,r one in a million(including my school friends)
    ---------------------------------------------------
    My TFF Family:
    * My Awesome Older Brother, Judge Magistrate :]
    * Illusion :]
    * Cait Sith :]
    * My Sweet,Caring,Older Sister angelmarie190515 :]
    * My FF Twin, nickness89 :]
    * My Favorite Australian Cousin, NikkiLinkle :]
    * My Long Lost Cousin, Hero without a Name :]

***98% of all teens have tried smoking pot and drinking. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy this and put it in your signature.