View Poll Results: How do you react when people interrupt your reading?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stare emptily at them until your mind clears

3 30.00%
  • Glare mercilessly until they shut up

1 10.00%
  • Attempt to distantly "persuade" them to be quiet

5 50.00%
  • Resolve the interruption with healthy amounts of violence

1 10.00%

Thread: What are the longest books you've ever read?

Chief Inspiring Officer What are the longest books you've ever read? Cyanist's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What are the longest books you've ever read?

For some time now I've been renting and consistently re-renting a ridiculously lengthy tome from my local library (I love you so much, I'll pay anything, please never leave meee!) a comedy Dickens novel entitled : The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club, in which a portly, pompous old man takes his good friends on several silly adventures. It's probably close to, if not the longest book I've attempted to read in this lifetime. My progress is slowed even more because I insist on understanding what each of those out-dated English words means

So what are some of yours?
    Honest answers here, please
    ~I'm sorry I haven't been around very much~

The votes are in for the sketch contest. See who won the epic battle here:
    http://thefinalfantasy.net/forum...12-voting.html

Queen What are the longest books you've ever read? Crescent's Avatar
    A hard cover of Jane Eyre & Sense & Sensibility..? Hm well it was one of those, A Jane Austen novel I won for academic acheivement back in yr 6. Fk that I wanted food.

Edit: Yes, I flew through all seven of the Harry Potter books in primary school. I just couldnt put them down and not only was Order of The Phoenix also one of the longest books Ive read but my favourite in the series. Ugh then the movies came out.

The Old Skool Warrior What are the longest books you've ever read? LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If you don't count compilations (because, really, the Hitchhiker's 5-book "trilogy" is quite long... as is Lord of the Rings... etc.), then the longest single-entry book I've ever read is A Soldier of the Great War, by Mark Helprin. The large hardcover edition, which I've owned since the month the book launched, is 792 pages. The paperback linked is 880 pages.

It is one of the greatest works of historical fiction I've ever read.
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

Consistently Average What are the longest books you've ever read? Kurt Zisa's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I remember "The Hobbit" being quite long but as it was over 5 years since I read it I can't remember the exact page count. Crime/Detective books are never that huge anyway so 500 - 600 pages is the largest I tend to read.

"Mad Dogs and Englishmen", by Ranulph Fiennes, seemed to go on forever but it can't have been more than 400 pages. There's only so much you can read about another man's (surprisingly important) family tree before it drags on a bit.
    Currently Playing:
    Pillars of Eternity (PC)

I play Magic! See what decks im playing or building here!

#LOCKE4GOD What are the longest books you've ever read? Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Bible (I haven't read all of it, or in order... but a lot of it) is pretty long, and with that tiny irritating typeface I'm not sure how many pages of a modern paperback it would fill.

Otherwise it's probably Les Misérables. (Only in English, not in French... yet ). It's my dad's paperback and has 1,463 pages. #Swag. Having English teachers for parents is the best.
    Last edited by Alpha; 12-29-2012 at 11:59 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Zisa View Post
    I remember "The Hobbit" being quite long but as it was over 5 years since I read it I can't remember the exact page count.
    That's only like 350 or so pages, dude.

Lord of the Rings was originally supposed to be one book, and I have it as one book. It's like 1200 pages or so. Also, The Stand is around that length, like 1150 pages or something. Currently reading that, about halfway through. And like Alpha, I've read much of the Bible. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

Mystyrion
    Probably the longest Harry Potter book. I think Order of the Phoenix is the longest of the 7.
    Amazon lists it as almost 900 pages, the paper back which is lying next to me is about 800.

I don't usually read long books. I usually tend to stay around the 400-500 page area.
    I have read the bible twice, but I tend not to count it. I didn't read with the intent of actually wanting to read it. My Sunday school class (mixed with younger and older groups) took a Friday & Saturday reading it, we all took turns reading a couple chapters until we finished. I usually fell asleep or was talking with someone. The other time I just read a chapter a night until I was finished, but I didn't understand much of it, probably due to how young I was.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth What are the longest books you've ever read? Xanatos's Avatar
    Lord of the Rings trilogy and the Bible. I also read a certain book on other cultures from engineer/architect point of view, it was at least several hundred pages long, it was nothing school related I just found it fascinating.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

LoTR and the first Game of Thrones book.

Chief Inspiring Officer What are the longest books you've ever read? Cyanist's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I see things are going swimmingly. No one has accused me of posting it in the wrong forum (wasn't sure if this belonged in Media or what) or accidentally copying someone else's thread for once. which is jolly good.
    I was wondering when Harry Potter would crop up. I wonder if anyone will list the work of Dr. Suess

Another lengthy book I'm reading is 'The Emperor And The Wolf' which is a biography of both Akira Kurosawa and Toshiro Mifune. But they keep mentioning films that were never released in America, which really ticks me off, but other than that, I'm happy withit.

TFF's Resident Messenger What are the longest books you've ever read? Michael Swayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The longest book I have ever read? Well, that would be A Dream of Red Mansions in Mandarin. It is one of China's Four Great Classical Novels, the others being Water Margin, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and Journey to the West. Dream has the longest character list I have ever encountered. The story is so complex that it took me several months to finish. I am glad that read the Chinese before the English translation, because several great points of the story were lost in translation.

I would put several of the Harry Potter books on the longest book list as well. I was in high school when they were coming out, and they kept getting increasingly bigger. I told my friends that the last one should be titled Harry Potter and the Death of Trees because it seemed like a whole tree was used to make one copy.
    Social Group Endorsements, TFF Awards, and Other Accomplishments (Updated December 26, 2013):

2011 TFF Member Elimination Game - 2nd Place

TFF Adoption Agency
    Hot Shot - August 31, 2011 to November 18, 2011
    Draug Isilme - December 29, 2011 to February 27, 2012
    lovehearty42 - August 9, 2012 to November 4, 2012
    beatrix - September 4, 2012 to November 4, 2012

Communist Theocratic Commonwealth of the Illustrious and Eternal Al-ha Empire and Crown Dependencies

Consistently Average What are the longest books you've ever read? Kurt Zisa's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I remember thinking that the 6th Harry Potter would be at least 1000 pages long because the Order of the Phoenix was around 700ish (feel free to call me out on that one too ) it was quite disappointing when it was smaller than the previous one. I have the book somewhere around here I just can't seem to find it.

So yeah Harry Potter 5 was a long book that I have read.
    Currently Playing:
    Pillars of Eternity (PC)

I play Magic! See what decks im playing or building here!

What about biggest consecutive sagas that you've ever read? I've read Raymond Feist's Riftwar, Serpent War and Demon War sagas back in high school. About 12 or so books. Stopped at Shards of a Broken Crown and I think there were more sagas afterwards. Good books, had lot's of magic, mythological gods, realms, politics, sex and other good things. I really enjoyed them back in the days.

I invented Go-Gurt. What are the longest books you've ever read? Clint's Avatar
    The dictionary was a pretty long book. It was a pretty wordy book, and rather dull. And lacking in character development quite a bit, but overall, it was a good story.

Also, I see people mentioned things like Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. Those aren't books, people. Those are movies.

The Old Skool Warrior What are the longest books you've ever read? LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You know, the worst part about you mentioning the dictionary is that I know it was likely sarcastic.

...but I've actually read the dictionary. I was way more of a nerd in elementary school than I am these days. Maybe.

Random;:
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.

Queen What are the longest books you've ever read? Crescent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LocoColt04 View Post
    You know, the worst part about you mentioning the dictionary is that I know it was likely sarcastic.

...but I've actually read the dictionary. I was way more of a nerd in elementary school than I am these days. Maybe.
    I think i can one up you. I read a paperback of the Macquarie Dictionary. In High school. At the swimming carnival.

My friends never make me forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Goddamn Clint Eastwood View Post
    The dictionary was a pretty long book. It was a pretty wordy book, and rather dull. And lacking in character development quite a bit, but overall, it was a good story.

Also, I see people mentioned things like Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. Those aren't books, people. Those are movies.
    Now you should try the thesaurus and the book of idioms. Better story.

I want to play a game. What are the longest books you've ever read? Zargabaath's Avatar
    Longest book I've read is The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. His first book in the Stormlight Archive - a 10 book series. The book was around 1,100 pages long hardcover.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think the longest book I've ever read so far has been a softcover of Stone of Tears by Terry Goodkind. It has 979 pages. The Sword of Truth series is also by far the longest series I've ever read, beating the Harry Potter series by five books (I have yet to read Debt of Bones as I refuse to pay full price - Ł8.99 - for a book little over hundred pages long). Total series page length must be around 9,000, I imagine.

I will probably be moving to Lord of the Rings after I finish The Omen Machine, and while I wait for Terry Goodkind's next book. He's become my favourite author, although he does have a habit of rushing his endings, and The Omen Machine being his worst piece of work ever. I'm confident he'll have a come back though - Wizard's First Rule and Faith of the Fallen are by far the best books I've ever read.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Just kind of there. What are the longest books you've ever read? Calvan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So far the longest book i've ever read is the Wastelands(The dark tower part III) by Stephen king.

Unfortunately my attention span has dwindled in recent years. I can't keep my mind on anything anymore. Which is a shame because I really want to finish out the series.
    -My Tee Eff Eff Family-
    Unknown Entity, My recipe trading, PS3 playing cousin.
    ----------
    And then just like that i'm gone again.

Blog Entries
    I humbly lay claim to the most pages read in a short amount of time award!
    It took me three days (from start to finish) to read "Redemption: The Penton Legacy" by Susannah Sandlin which is 357 pages of sordid vampire garbage, but still... that is a lot of pages for 3 days right?

Certified tech, come at me! What are the longest books you've ever read? SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think the longest book I have read, personally, is Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. That thing was 800 something pages. It was quite a story too.
    Currently Playing:

Blog Entries
    I have no idea what the longest book I've read is, but I can tell you it was over 1,000 pages. I read primarily fantasy and the genre is known for extremely long stories, particularly of the epic variety. I don't count Lord of the Rings because despite trying, I've yet to do more than skim most of it. Tolkien's writing style just puts me to sleep. Every time. You can tell he was a linguist first, writer second, because the story is so slooow. Love the movies though.

I'm not going to say how fast I read either, because at least half of you will hate me, lol.
    Family: Psiko, Mistress Sheena, Djinn

I've only read like 6 books in my whole life. Longest one was The Romance of the Three Kingdoms Vol. 1. Book was really long, covered a part of that war. If you played Dynasty Warriors you might enjoy the books, same people and war, just more in depth.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cyanosuke View Post
    I humbly lay claim to the most pages read in a short amount of time award!
    It took me three days (from start to finish) to read "Redemption: The Penton Legacy" by Susannah Sandlin which is 357 pages of sordid vampire garbage, but still... that is a lot of pages for 3 days right?
    I once read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire one afternoon while on a camping trip. It was pissing down with rain, so I had time to read a 635 page book, cover to cover.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Blog Entries

Re: What are the longest books you've ever read?

Quote Originally Posted by cyanosuke View Post
    357 pages of sordid vampire garbage, but still... that is a lot of pages for 3 days right?
    792 in eight hours, does that count? Might be guilty of speed reading though, and when it's your third time through a book, it's a lot easier!

» Sent via Tapatalk 2 on my Galaxy S2

Random;:
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LocoColt04 View Post
    792 in eight hours, does that count? Might be guilty of speed reading though, and when it's your third time through a book, it's a lot easier!
    » Sent via Tapatalk 2 on my Galaxy S2
    I renounce the title to you, sir, but with great reluctance and I will be back to reclaim it

I'm not sure what the longest single book I've read is, but the totality of Wheel of Time is apparently 11,000 pages, and a few days ago I finished the 14th book.

I think the 14th Wheel of Time book probably holds my record for most pages read in a certain time frame. I read the entire book in under 48 hours, and it's 912 pages.

Word count is apparently over 4million, too.

The Wheel of Time - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The longest book period is probably the 5th Song of Ice and Fire novel, which clocks at 1056 pages.

I'm not sure if the wikipedia page counts include preface and glossaries, though. :\ IIRC SoIaF has a very large glossary of family names, members, and affiliations.

If you count Asimov's contiguous series from Robot Series through Foundation (also counting the 3 stand-alone Empire books) that's probably a hefty page count as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonHeart View Post
    I read primarily fantasy and the genre is known for extremely long stories, particularly of the epic variety. I don't count Lord of the Rings because despite trying, I've yet to do more than skim most of it.
    I need an epic fantasy recommendation that isn't Brandon Sanderson, because Mistborn was terrible and he did a fairly meh job of wrapping up Wheel of Time for Jordan. I've also had the same problems w/ LOTR, but I read them back in high school and trudged through. I'll reread them again at some point in my life... maybe.

Tangent: Last book I read was Do Android Dream of Electric Sheep, which was a quick 150 pages (according to my nook) but the epub was horribly corrupted and had a lot of words

w
    r
    i
    t
    t
    e
    n
    th
    i
    s

so that probably added 20 pages.

Edit: You guys can add me on goodreads too, http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/15528514-sean

Been using it to keep track of what I've read and to get recommendations. It's a good site but it pisses me off that they lump science fiction and fantasy together into one genre. Sci-fi recommendations recommend more fantasy books than it does sci-fi.
    Last edited by Sean; 01-16-2013 at 11:31 PM.

Registered User What are the longest books you've ever read? Black_Cloud's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Whichever series has the longest book in it between the Wheel of Time, and A Song of Ice and Fire.

I no longer own most of the Song of Ice and Fire, so I'm not sure if any of the books in that series are longer than any of the Wheel of Time books.

On a side note, I just finished A Memory of Light last night! Now I'm sad it's all over