Thread: Stupid Problems

Registered User Stupid Problems Kaiden's Avatar

Stupid Problems

So they have these problems at work that they put out in the lunch room. If you hand in the right answers you can win a $10 gift card to different places. Anyway this past week they had some problems that just didn't seem right to me. When I questioned them on the problems they just said that they were riddles and I wasn't reading them the correct way. So this is my vent post to see if I am crazy or what.

Situation:
    Three men decided to split the cost of a hotel room. They paid the price of $30, each guy gave the manager $10. However the manager realized that it was a wednesday night, which meant the hotel had a special. Rooms were only $25, he had overcharged them $5! He called the bellboy, game him $5 dollars and told him to return it to the men. When the bellboy explained the situation to the men, they were so pleased at the honesty of the establishment they promptly tipped the bellboy $2 and each took $1 for themselves.

Problem: Each of the three men ended up paying $9(their original $10 minus $1) totaling $27, plus the $2 for the bellboy which makes $29 where did the extra dollar go?

A certain number has three digits. The sum of the three digits equals 36 time this number. Seven time the left digit plus 9 is equal to 5 time the sum of the two other digits. 8 time the second digit minus 9 is equal to the sum of the first and third. What is the number?

Ill give the answers they gave me Friday! For those that want them. Though I am sure these problems are on the internet or something.

Scene from a movie.
    SPOILER!!:
    [Having pulled over a speeding driver.]
    Mac: All right, how about Cat Game?
    Foster: Cat Game? What's the record?
    Mac: Thorny did six, but I think you can do ten.
    Foster: Ten? Starting right meow?
    [They go up to the car.]
    Driver: Sorry about the...
    Foster: All right meow. Hand over your license and registration.
    [The man gives him his license.]
    Foster: Your registration? Hurry up meow.
    Driver: [laughing] Sorry.
    Foster: Is there something funny here boy?
    Driver: Oh, no.
    Foster: Then why you laughing, Mister... Larry Johnson?
    [Foster stares at him.]
    Foster: All right meow, where were we?
    Driver: Excuse me, are you saying meow?
    Foster: Am I saying meow?
    Driver: I thought...
    Foster: Don't think boy. Meow, do you know how fast you were going?
    [The man laughs.]
    Foster: Meow. What is so damn funny?
    Driver: I could have sworn you said meow.
    Foster: Do I look like a cat to you, boy? Am I jumpin' around all nimbly-bimbly from tree to tree? Am I drinking milk from a saucer? DO YOU SEE ME EATING MICE?
    [The man is uncontrollably laughing.]
    Foster: You stop laughing right meow!
    Driver: [Stops and swallows hard.] Yes sir.
    Foster: Meow, I'm gonna have to give you a ticket on this one. No buts meow. It's the law.
    [Rips off the ticket and hands it to the man.]
    Foster: Not so funny meow, is it?
    [Foster gets up to leave, but Mac shakes his hands at him, indicating only nine meows.]
    Foster: Meow!

Lady Succubus Stupid Problems Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Stupid Problems

They gave the answer to their own problem in the situation. I think it's a trick question.

Logically, all the dollars are where they should be; so I think they're just fooling you with the "problem".

30 > Hotel
    5 > 3 Dudes
    2 > Bellboy
    1 x 3 > 3 Dudes

...That's where all the money went. The wording of the problem throws you off because it makes you believe a dollar is missing when it isn't.

They didn't "pay 9" at all. I mean, they didn't have to give the bellboy a tip. But then again, you can't really split 5$ three ways, can you? You can, but it's like... 1.666666666667.

Edit: Dodie is too slow. XD
    Last edited by Victoria; 05-11-2010 at 05:49 PM.

Registered User Stupid Problems

Yeah, the first puzzle is one that's pretty old and has been discussed a lot around the internet. Can't say I've heard of the second one though. I'm not all that great with numbers, so I can't even begin to tell you what the answer might be, but here's the answer to the first one:

The dollar was never missing in the first place. People get confused by the faulty reasoning that the riddle provides. The clerk has twenty-five dollars, the busboy has two, and each of the men have one. 25 + 2 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 30
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Lady Succubus Stupid Problems Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The second one is pretty easy, just kind of tedious.

You just run through 36 x 3, 36x4, etc, etc, until you run across the right combination that fits the other equations.

And if you haven't figured it out by now...

36 x 9 = 324

7 x 3 + 9 = 5 x 2 + 4
    (7 x 3) + 9 = 5 x (2+4)
    21 + 9 = 5 x 6

8 x 2 - 9 = 3 + 4
    16 - 9 = 7

3 + 2 + 4 = 9
    Last edited by Victoria; 05-11-2010 at 06:11 PM.

Shake it like a polaroid picture Stupid Problems RagnaToad's Avatar

The first one is just lame. The only thing that makes it a riddle is the question in the end, which doesn't make any sense.

It just adds up some random numbers that were mentioned in previous calculations in the story. And because it is close to the number 30, it makes you think there's a dollar missing, even though the calculation doesn't make any sense.
    Last edited by RagnaToad; 05-21-2010 at 10:51 AM.
    Crao Porr Cock8: Getting it while the getting's good

Blog Entries

Since it's homework time in the GC forums, I was wondering if someone could help me in my Calculus today, I came across a problem that I didn't know the answer to..

"Consider a compact 3-dimensional manifold V without boundary. Is it possible that the fundamental group of V could be trivial, even though V is not homeomorphic to the 3-dimensional sphere?"

Could someone give me some help please?
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2