Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Receiving negative rep

(ღ˘⌣˘ღ) Receiving negative rep che's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Receiving negative rep

Have you ever gotten a negative rep from someone? It can be here, or any forum. Does it piss you off every single time to think that someone did not like your post? Or can you step back and say "hey, I might have deserved that" or "this person just doesn't agree with me, and that's ok".

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

Re: Receiving negative rep

To me no it doesn't piss me off when I receive negative "rep" when it is presented the correct way but when someone uses / abuses the system because they disagree with you for having a difference in opinion is obtuse.

Yes it pisses me off when someone uses a "rep" system to flame some one for an opinion or stating a feeling and it bothers me when someone does it just because they can with out providing reasoning behind it.

I think if someone is being an ass then yes they deserve negative "rep" for being one. this is not just limited to being an ass it also includes being an idiot and what not. I don't think people should be called out for a matter of opinion or for ignorance via a "rep" system. The better way to resolve the issue is to post on it and further create conversation to understand ones point of view on the situation.

Then again I don't think that a positive rep is always justifiable because someone agrees with a part of something that some one posts. Positive rep should be given for well thought out posts that contribute to a conversation.

Also note that I use "rep" as a broad statement because it is not called rep at all forums.

Then again this whole post is a matter of opinion.
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Meier Link View Post
    The better way to resolve the issue is to post on it and further create conversation to understand ones point of view on the situation.
    But what if that person is not understanding your point of view, and they are clearly wrong with proof and they continue to not understand it? What do you do in that situation? You've acknowledged their positive points, but they continue to post things that you have told them are not the issue, or are wrong with factual backup.

Then again I don't think that a positive rep is always justifiable because someone agrees with a part of something that some one posts. Positive rep should be given for well thought out posts that contribute to a conversation.
    Agreed! But we are not perfect, and I think that even if you 150% agree with part of a post, it's okay to positive rep them as long as you tell them what part you liked. If I only gave positive rep to someone for their entire post, I'd have only given out positive rep to about 1-2 people.

And that's all posts really are anyway, so that's okay!

Blog Entries

To me no it doesn't piss me off when I receive negative "rep" when it is presented the correct way but when someone uses / abuses the system because they disagree with you for having a difference in opinion is obtuse.

Yes it pisses me off when someone uses a "rep" system to flame some one for an opinion or stating a feeling and it bothers me when someone does it just because they can with out providing reasoning behind it.

I think if someone is being an ass then yes they deserve negative "rep" for being one. this is not just limited to being an ass it also includes being an idiot and what not. I don't think people should be called out for a matter of opinion or for ignorance via a "rep" system. The better way to resolve the issue is to post on it and further create conversation to understand ones point of view on the situation.

Also note that I use "rep" as a broad statement because it is not called rep at all forums.

terrible post, -rep.

KIDDING.

I don't mind it, people have their opinions. If they feel like disagreeing with me, then that's okay! That's why we are all different human beings. It sucks to get neg rep on a post you think has a good point, but then looking back at it theres probably plenty of crap posts I've made that deserved it but never got neg rep.

The only time I've ever been annoyed by neg rep is on another forum I go to. I posted something that was ontopic and pertained to the thread but I got a neg rep from it. when I checked to see why, it had no comment, and it was unsigned so idk who it was from. I was like "umm ok cool?" Though its pretty funny to get mean neg rep messages and then have the person forget to hit the disagree button lol.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    But what if that person is not understanding your point of view, and they are clearly wrong with proof and they continue to not understand it? What do you do in that situation? You've acknowledged their positive points, but they continue to post things that you have told them are not the issue, or are wrong with factual backup.
    To this I will quote myself

I think if someone is being an ass then yes they deserve negative "rep" for being one. this is not just limited to being an ass it also includes being an idiot and what not.
    That falls under the being an "idiot and what not" clause. At that point they are not ignorant because you have provided them with the facts, they are either:
    A: not capable of understanding the concept
    b: to ignorant to understand that their biased opinions are wrong
    c: really just doesn't give a shite about what the real subject is

Any which way they deserve a negative "rep" if some one has taken the effort to convince them other wise on multiple occasions and they are still being an ass / idiot.
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

Blog Entries

To this I will quote myself

That falls under the being an "idiot and what not" clause. At that point they are not ignorant because you have provided them with the facts, they are either:
    A: not capable of understanding the concept
    b: to ignorant to understand that their biased opinions are wrong
    c: really just doesn't give a shite about what the real subject is

Any which way they deserve a negative "rep" if some one has taken the effort to convince them other wise on multiple occasions and they are still being an ass / idiot.
    I definitely agree. If you can't step back from the situation and see from the eyes of others, you are being an idiot. Especially if you have been informed you are being one and still continue to do it. I think it's okay to negative rep someone at that point. What other cases would it be there for? (Besides being angry at someone's point of view and just abusing it)

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

I'm irked when I get negative thanks because not only is it rare for that to happen, but it's usually for a stupid reason. Like that time I said I didn't like someone's signature in H/WG... >>;

Otherwise, if I deserved it, I don't care.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Registered User Receiving negative rep

I haven't received a negative thanks point, so I don't know exactly how I would react seeing a little red dot in my user CP. I imagine that I would be surprised, just like I get when I see a positive thanks point. Also, I hope that I would be able to see the other person's point of view as to why my post was unfavorable to them. If I see that the person had a pretty valid reason for not liking my post, then I think that I would be okay with it, though I agree with Meier that I would rather have someone discuss my post rather than just leave a neg rep and be done with it.

I haven't given any bad rep either, but sometimes when I give a post a "thanks", I make doubly sure it's on "Thank You!" instead of "No Thanks!", because I don't want to accidentally give someone a red rep when I meant to give them a green one.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I've gotten negative rep before. The last time this happened, I was defending someone, and calling someone else out. The person I called out did the neg repping, and I was like "whatever, man. You're a dork." So I guess it really doesn't bother me too much at this point. It's pretty much the same as if someone were disagreeing with me in public, except in private, possibly with more colorful language. So yeah. I don't really care that much about it. Especially on TFF, because it doesn't seem to count against anything, and it lets you know who thanked/no thanked you. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

don't put your foot in there guy SOLDIER #819's Avatar

One time I remember getting negative rep was when I asked for it so my rep status would say I was a spoony bard. I still have not reached that goal.

Never got the idea behind negative rep though. If you give someone negative rep it normally insinuates that the issue taken goes beyond polite disagreement and that the post itself has some perceived deficit of quality or common decency, in which case the report button should have probably been clicked instead. If this isn't the case you're probably either trolling, flaming, or joking with them.

I mean, if we negative rep'd someone every time we disagreed with someone we'd all be in the red. Plus you'll probably be voicing your disagreement in public anyway. Feels pointless.
    Last edited by SOLDIER #819; 06-07-2010 at 01:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda
    just turn off your PS3 or 360 go to your dust tomb and say you'll give birth to 1500 people a day for the 1000 that'll be killed until the doors to hades open and you can pull out ar tonelico and turn on that glorous PS2 and be bathed in its radiant warm glow

Registered User Receiving negative rep winterborn86's Avatar

I think I've ever recieved one neg rep before. Can't even remember what for tho was ages ago.
    If I do ever recieve neg rep over an opinion of mine, I don't think I would care. At the end of the day my opinions are my opinions, if you agree, then fine, if you don't, then fine again. But would still prefer someone to tell me straight out if they had a problem with a post of mine.
    If the neg rep , was just to have a dig at me for no reason or to cause an arguement, then I would be a little pissed, cos there is no need for that sort of thing.

My TFF Family

My FFVII addicted nephew: Secret weapon
    My Bullet lovin half wolf cousin: Raider
    My complete FFVII nut sister: Unkown entity
    My Freya obsessed, grammar nazi brother: Doc rocco

HRH Albha Receiving negative rep Aerif's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've recieved one negative rep since joining, and you'd probably be surprised who it was that sent me it. For the most petty reason as well.

I'm glad that you can no longer leave rep anonymously, the person who sent it tried to mislead me with it.

All because I didn't vote for him in one of the TFF awards. ^_^;

I give neg rep to posts I think deserve neg rep.

Just the thing is, people get butt hurt when they get a neg rep that they feel they have to give you a neg rep just because you have them a neg rep.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

I invented Go-Gurt. Receiving negative rep Clint's Avatar

I've gotten a lot of negative rep, and every single time it was because people feel the ridiculous need to take me seriously. Last time I got it, somebody called me a bigot, a hillbilly, and a racist, merely for saying male white Christian Americans are far more superior than everybody else in the entire world. I don't really see where a statement like that deserved negative rep, unless if you take it seriously. Then it does.

Negative rep doesn't bother me, though. I actually think it's pretty funny when people don't understand your sense of humor, because it makes you look like an ass, even though you aren't. I haven't received any in a while, though, because I have to sustain a humdrum state-of-mind, or else I'll be banned again.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Eastwood View Post
    I've gotten a lot of negative rep, and every single time it was because people feel the ridiculous need to take me seriously.
    Amen.

But seriously, the worst kind of rep isn't negative, it's that ugly gray rep you get when someone without enough rep (or is it posts?) of their own reps you. Sorry, Chad, but your new account throws off my green-red spectrum.

Until now!

Magically Delicous Receiving negative rep Merlin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Loaf View Post
    I give neg rep to posts I think deserve neg rep.

Just the thing is, people get butt hurt when they get a neg rep that they feel they have to give you a neg rep just because you have them a neg rep.
    People used to do that to me. I'd neg rep something for a legitimate reason so they'd turn around and neg rep me on a normal post and be like "oh how's it feel now, punkass!!" I find that rather stupid, seeing as how I can give you a negative rep of whatever number I want. Just wait for their next bad post (doesn't take long) and POW! -1,000 rep.

Obviously that shouldn't be taken seriously. I wouldn't actually rep someone for -1,000. I mean come on... if I was going to do that, it'd probably be more like -9,999... a nice FF-friendly number.

OK, enough joking around. I've received negative reps over the years, but it doesn't faze me. I was more bothered with people abusing positive rep. It used to be a favorite pastime of certain groups of people. Contests like, "how high can we get LocoColt04's rep to go?" and stuff. /sigh

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Receiving negative rep Xanatos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    But seriously, the worst kind of rep isn't negative, it's that ugly gray rep you get when someone without enough rep (or is it posts?) of their own reps you.
    I have bunch of these, til now I didn't know what they stand for.

I have only one negative rep, a deserved one I must say. When I joined this forum I was quite a spammer, constantly posting nonsense, one liners until I received a negative rep. It was a good reminder that I need to stop that shit, so in a way I'm grateful to that person. I don't mind getting a negative rep as long as there's a good reason behind it, not just out of grudge or something.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    People used to do that to me. I'd neg rep something for a legitimate reason so they'd turn around and neg rep me on a normal post and be like "oh how's it feel now, punkass!!" I find that rather stupid, seeing as how I can give you a negative rep of whatever number I want. Just wait for their next bad post (doesn't take long) and POW! -1,000 rep.

Obviously that shouldn't be taken seriously. I wouldn't actually rep someone for -1,000. I mean come on... if I was going to do that, it'd probably be more like -9,999... a nice FF-friendly number.

OK, enough joking around. I've received negative reps over the years, but it doesn't faze me. I was more bothered with people abusing positive rep. It used to be a favorite pastime of certain groups of people. Contests like, "how high can we get LocoColt04's rep to go?" and stuff. /sigh
    can I has -9,999 rep plz.

and yeah as long as people dont take them too seriously, the rep system is good for keeping everyone in check from saying stupid shit.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Bananarama Receiving negative rep Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think I've only gotten neg repped maybe 2-3 times at most. It didn't bother me, but it was more like "are you kidding?!" based on the people it was from.

I don't really care. I check the rep every now and then and it's usually pleasantly surprising.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Sir Prize Receiving negative rep Sinister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Honestly, though... How amazing would it be to have the worst possible rep status. You'd become an instant celebrity for being a forum-wide douche that hasn't been banned yet. I know Sassy's working for that right now...but...I've only just thought of it!

Actually, I've gotten plenty of negative rep since I've joined. Prolly'll get another for this post. The only time negative reps ever really had any appreciable effect on me at all was when they came from someone that mattered to me, from someone whose opinions were important... And I actually can't recall that ever happening just now, but I'm sure it has or will.

-Sin

Fear not, this is not...the end of this world.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good..."

Magically Delicous Receiving negative rep Merlin's Avatar

If you get your rep low enough(less than -9,999), you get a special description shown when you highlight over the box.
    Last edited by Merlin; 06-07-2010 at 11:56 AM.

Blog Entries

There was one guy who had like six or seven of those red boxes under his name. I can't remember his sn right now. Though I think I recall someone saying he had it done to him on purpose. *shrug* Wonder if he got less than 9,999.

I haven't really given neg rep often. The only times have been when I really thought someone was being a doucher. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

I will finish the hunt Receiving negative rep Cheesevixen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It doesn't make me angry if I get bad rep. I don't really know them. If I could relate to a similar situation I would have to say it is the equivalent of someone giving me the evil eye as I passed them on the street. Obviously they have a problem with me, but in a few moments it will have been forgotten. Probably forgotten by them even faster. True; it's different in the way YOU ACTUALLY SEE WHY THEY DISLIKE your posts, but sooner than you think it will have been forgotten. It's only a little read square. I don't make things personal.
    "Some men just want to watch the world burn"

Go with me, Exkaizer~ Receiving negative rep Treize's Avatar

I don't really care about negative rep at all. I still find it interesting to read the message that was written. The only kind of rep that I don't really like is if it either doesn't say anything or if it is completely stupid. I think one time a got a negative rep just saying "asshole" because I said in a post that I didn't care that much about post count. <_<

I think that people can give positive or negative rep for any reason as long as it's appropriate. Don't post something when giving rep that you wouldn't post in a VM or an actual post.
    TFF Family:
    stardragon -- Nick -- Fishie -- Silver -- Omega Weapon -- Tiger Lily -- Athna Loveil -- Phantom -- ekimeinna -- Novacrash -- FFGuru89 -- Kaos_Dragon -- ziroth

-PM me if you would like to join.

This ain't no place for no hero Receiving negative rep Tiffany's Avatar

Its been awhile since I got negative rep... I don't even know what it was over. Probably some thread in the ID section.

It doesn't bother me. I can't be assed to give a **** if someone disagrees with me. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I'm done with trying to change the world.

#LOCKE4GOD Receiving negative rep Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister
    Honestly, though... How amazing would it be to have the worst possible rep status. You'd become an instant celebrity for being a forum-wide douche that hasn't been banned yet. I know Sassy's working for that right now...but...I've only just thought of it!

I think neg rep has a legitimate purpose, but everyone's too afraid to use it. I see it as potentially being useful when you disagree with someone, but no to such an extent that you want to make a whole post out of it. People take a neg rep more seriously than a post disagreeing with the user in question. Which actually strikes me as odd, because it takes less effort to neg rep than to post back.

In saying that, I think I've only neg repped twice. One was for RagnaToad, (I am not going into that again), but it was a grey rep anyway. Haha he didn't enjoy that.

The other I can't remember, but I'm sure I've neg repped Sasquatch for something. If it was for disagreeing with him, he'd be the one on -9999, however. Likewise with me, probably.

And am I the only one who wants to start flicking out neg reps in this thread? Dodie's a prime target, on her no-neg-rep high-horse.
    Last edited by Alpha; 06-07-2010 at 11:42 PM.

From the ruins of Zanarkand Receiving negative rep Yuna's Avatar

Rep system of forums is a bad thing. That's because there are people who misunderstood the real meaning and why you have to put a bad or good vote about someone. It is done just for flaming, luckily, I'm following just few italians forum too, and I have to say it is not so much common for us having something like that.

I wrote luckily because I'm not a person who like to hide behind fake compliments to photos, or general opinions, so for a big part of users I'm not so nice and kindly (it's my big mouth, I know =P)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    And am I the only one who wants to start flicking out neg reps in this thread? Dodie's a prime target, on her no-neg-rep high-horse.
    I'm wondering if there's a "you must spread some negative thanks to other people before giving that person more negative rep" message.

I'm DYING to see you! Receiving negative rep ViviMasterMage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I've never got neg rep either.

I'm actually quite surprised at that seeing how many times I've annoyed people and made stupid, pointless threads. Oh, I also spammed a lot when I first got here.

I agree with rep myself. I think it's nice to see what people really like about what you have written or if they just feel that something in your post was cool like a picture or a signature. I also think it's okay to give neg rep. I won't name names but I think that doing to noobs that constantly spam, use one liners that have nothing to them and annoy everyone in site deserve neg rep. It can also be like a warning to show that they're annoying people around them and that they should stop... Unless they're some kind of troll. xD

We know the troll feeders of TFF though, don't we? =3

My things:

My TFF Family!:
    My very hyper moogle loving cousin Meigumi!
    My grammar obsessive twin AWESOME brother Fate!
    My powerful, dangerous, short tempered younger brother Alther!
    My badassly cool chaos-loving lord who adores big swords and uber spells, Elyon Demidias
    My awesomely cool big brother xXCloudXx
    "The Bestest Buddy" xTidus (Aka Casey)
    My Okami-playing, Sephiroth-fangirl American cousin Dodie16
    My brother and stealthy swordsman of poetic power genome's blade
    My brother from another mother Gilgameshed_Up

My Fatey!:

Quote Originally Posted by Meigumi
    ....... I was reaaally hoping you'd say something else, but whatever! HEY, EVERYONE! WE'RE HAVING A CONVERSATION! 8D
    Fate's beautiful haiku:
    Lost in reverie
    Memories drifting through me
    So calm like the sea

Maridia

I'm taking this page hostage. And whoever posts after me will get negative rep. And if that matters you have no life.

Out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast