Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Proposing?

Proposing?

As in, for marriage.

I know a number of the members here are married.

Girlfriend and I went ring "shopping" today. It was just supposed to be so I could get a feel for what she really liked and how much it was going to set me back 6-8 months from now when I planned on buying it.

One of the ones she really liked was a $2000 ring that was lowered to $450 (for today only)

Needless to say, I bought it. She doesn't know I did, however.

Sooooo I'm at a complete loss for how to propose.

One of the most cheesy ideas I had but really liked was having a friend of hers or a family member take her to the St. Louis Zoo, where I'd be standing below the balcony waiting for her to see me.

This was where we first saw each other, after she decided to enter on the wrong side on our first date and I had to walk all the way around. I looked up at the balcony and she was there, I waved, she walked down, blah blah.

I actually like this idea but the problem is

1. It seems almost as cliche as the down on one knee during dinner in a fancy restaurant shit.

2. I don't plan to propose until December-January, and the Zoo isn't open during the winter.

TLDR;

Those of you who are married/engaged, how did you guys propose, or how did you girls get proposed to?

Re: Proposing?

The wife and I had been talking about it for a while but I hadn't actually proposed until one night when we were laying in bed and a day full of fun filled excitement. At that point I just looked at her and told her after being with her I couldn't imagine my life with out her and asked her if she would, obviously she said yes.

Actually the zoo idea sounds prettty rad, I think she would really dig it. Also it doen't matter how cliche something is, it matters if she finds it to be special or not and that is all that matters. You might have to do it earlier or later then expected since you said the zoo is closed that time of year. Good thing is just because your engaged doesn't mean you have to run off and get married right away.

My sister has been engauged for almost a year adn a half and her wedding isn't for a few more months.

So thats my story, sorry if it doesn't help much.
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

Nah, it definitely helps.

We've already planned on not getting married until June 2012 at the earliest, this way I'm out of school and hopefully in a real career by that point and she's nearing the end of her time in college. Neither of us would mind a long engagement, so that's not the issue.

Also, I'm ****ing retarded. The Zoo IS open during the winter, we were just there in January for the Penguin Parade. >_<

Blog Entries

lol! I like the idea as well. Since you know the Zoo is open during the time you want to propose, and imo, I don't think it sounds cliche at all, it sounds to me that you wanted to bring back the first memories of you two being together, which is cute and girls love cute things like that. On top of that, even if the zoo was closed and you had to propose earlier, you two are down with a long engagement. Sounds like a win-win to me.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Che

You should get in contact with Square Enix and have them put you in FF15. And when she's coming around the corner to the final boss, have it be you. To beat the game, she has to say yes.

The Bad Boy of TFF Proposing? Block's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Che View Post
    You should get in contact with Square Enix and have them put you in FF15. And when she's coming around the corner to the final boss, have it be you. To beat the game, she has to say yes.
    ^hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I did the classic knee drop. We were at my parents house for an early Christmas. My sister, her fiancee, my mom, and my dad were all their and we had just started to take family photos. As soon as my mom asked me to take a photo with Stephanie I stood next to her like it was a normal photo. Right before my mom went to take the shot, I dropped to one knee with the ring out and asked her to marry me. That was the best day of my life thus far.

I was so nervous that my eyes were closed.

Gingersnap Proposing? OceanEyes28's Avatar
    Blog Entries

D'aaawwwww (@married people)

The zoo idea seems like a winner to me. I wouldn't worry about being original with this kind of thing, you'll just fry your brain and end up with something that doesn't make any sense for the sake of originality. Instead, I'd worry about what is specific and special about your relationship and go from there. So in my eyes, the zoo idea works for that.

I have obviously not been proposed to, but I guess I look forward to it, if I'm in a position to accept... Actually, it kind of freaks me out, but that doesn't mean other married people aren't cute. And if I ever did get hitched, those traditional marriage vows would have to go, haha. And the veil... Because let's not kid ourselves. If I'm marrying this guy... we've had sleepovers.

But my point is, CONGRATS!
    Last edited by OceanEyes28; 04-07-2010 at 11:57 AM.
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

Nicest Female 2006. Best Couple 2006. Nicest Female 2005. Best Couple 2005. Tie for Nicest Female 2004. Best Couple 2004. Flamer of the Week 2005.

"I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."

. SOLDIER ('04) . cHoSeN ('04) . Por Rorr Kitty9 ('09).
    HEY DO YOU LIKE MUSIC? Because I make music.
    LISTEN HERE!

The Bad Boy of TFF Proposing? Block's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OceanEyes28 View Post
    If I'm marrying this guy... we've had sleepovers.
    just awesome.

Death Before Dishonor Proposing? Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It is so funny. I plan to propose to my gf in a few days. I have no clue how I am gonna do it. Shit like that always seems to happen. I have a thought one day, then a few hours later there is a thread about it on TFF.

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

Registered User Proposing? winterborn86's Avatar

I use to be engaged when I was 19 and up the spout, my partner just asked me when we were laying on the floor watching t.v lol, I don't believe in all the romantic surprise stuff, like hiding the ring in a cake or going on one knee in a resturant or doing it in front of family/friends, I'm glad my proposal was a private thing, only lasted a few months tho, ring ended up laying in the street after a massive argument and I slung it somewhere.
    We will never be engaged again, as I got a lil older I decided that I never ever want to be married, my opinions on it have changed massively and I guess I just don't believe in it anymore.

Congrats in advance for you tho x

My TFF Family

My FFVII addicted nephew: Secret weapon
    My Bullet lovin half wolf cousin: Raider
    My complete FFVII nut sister: Unkown entity
    My Freya obsessed, grammar nazi brother: Doc rocco

Che

Quote Originally Posted by winterborn86 View Post
    I use to be engaged when I was 19 and up the spout, my partner just asked me when we were laying on the floor watching t.v lol, I don't believe in all the romantic surprise stuff, like hiding the ring in a cake or going on one knee in a resturant or doing it in front of family/friends, I'm glad my proposal was a private thing, only lasted a few months tho, ring ended up laying in the street after a massive argument and I slung it somewhere.
    We will never be engaged again, as I got a lil older I decided that I never ever want to be married, my opinions on it have changed massively and I guess I just don't believe in it anymore.

Congrats in advance for you tho x
    I don't understand why people try to get married that young anyway.

Registered User Proposing? winterborn86's Avatar

I don't understand why people try to get married that young anyway.
    I think he only asked cos I was preggers, if I wasn't he wouldn't of asked and the only reason i said yes because the whole idea of a big expensive day that revolves around me seemed very appealing, thats partly the reason I don't wanna get married anymore not a very nice reason to have to wanna get married really kinda selfish.

My TFF Family

My FFVII addicted nephew: Secret weapon
    My Bullet lovin half wolf cousin: Raider
    My complete FFVII nut sister: Unkown entity
    My Freya obsessed, grammar nazi brother: Doc rocco

Che

Quote Originally Posted by winterborn86 View Post
    I think he only asked cos I was preggers, if I wasn't he wouldn't of asked and the only reason i said yes because the whole idea of a big expensive day that revolves around me seemed very appealing, thats partly the reason I don't wanna get married anymore not a very nice reason to have to wanna get married really kinda selfish.
    Yep. And I can't believe you'd chuck a ring as well. Pretty mature.

The real reason why the rum is gone Proposing? Nightmare Cloud's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OceanEyes28 View Post
    If I'm marrying this guy... we've had sleepovers.
    LOL WIN.

And Sean, that's really cute! I'm far too young to be married but I think that's a lovely idea

This ain't no place for no hero Proposing? Tiffany's Avatar

Yep. And I can't believe you'd chuck a ring as well. Pretty mature.
    I'm sure we've all been in situations when we were younger where we made really, really dumb decisions. I don't think she was at all claiming that she was being mature in the decision!

I've been engaged once before. I was in the same situation as Winterborne, just too young to really understand what I wanted. For the record, I still have the ring. It wasn't expensive, and he didn't want it back and somehow it seemed weird to me to sell it.

So apparently it isn't weird to have my old engagement ring hanging out in a box somewhere in our spare room. Thankfully my guy has like zero trust issues!

Congrats, btw Sean! So exciting! I will want details when it finally goes down!!!

Che

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
    I'm sure we've all been in situations when we were younger where we made really, really dumb decisions. I don't think she was at all claiming that she was being mature in the decision!
    Yeah, sorry. I just imagined myself as the guy and I'd be pissed.

I've been engaged once before. I was in the same situation as Winterborne, just too young to really understand what I wanted. For the record, I still have the ring. It wasn't expensive, and he didn't want it back and somehow it seemed weird to me to sell it.
    That's cool that you didn't sell it. You shoulda mailed it back to him.

Congrats, btw Sean! So exciting! I will want details when it finally goes down!!!
    She didn't say yes, yet!!!!!!!

Scratch it all, I'm doing this.

Typing the e-mail as we speak.

Anyways, thanks for the help peoples. I've narrowed it down to the Zoo thing, or making her go on an easter-egg hunt across the house in order to find me. More I think about it, the more I like the zoo, buuuut.... she's rather emotional, and I don't really feel like people (mostly kids) looking around like "WTF, MATE!?" when she gets all screamy going "omg omg omg yes" and starts crying.

Sooo I'm thinking something small and in the house, like "Hey, go find this" "Now go find that." "Now this." "Open that door" "Haha surprise, marry me sucka!?" Only problem is I did that with her promise ring, kinda. I gave her "Hot and cold" hints to where her "present" was hiding.

After I get the ring I'm gonna go talk to her mom then her dad and make sure it's all cool with them, explain that it'll be a long engagement while I finish school and we get everything planned and arranged, get our finances under control, and get a place of our own, then probably propose around our anniversary of June 2nd.

Edit: I shouldn't HAVE to mention it but I probably should, those of you who are on mah facebook, please for the love of god don't mention any of this on my wall. >_>; I really don't need to explain to her why people on t3h intarwebz know I plan to propose before I actually do.
    Last edited by Sean; 04-07-2010 at 11:09 PM.

Banned Proposing?

I couldn't think of a more perfect time to ask then during out daily cuddle. We we're both in bed cuddling. It was an awkward position to propose in, we we're both sideways. I held her hand and slipped the ring into it, and asked her to marry me. Now she's prego, woo! <3 Izzybear
    I found this site for you bro Home - PoptheQuestion.org - Free Proposal Ideas lol

This ain't no place for no hero Proposing? Tiffany's Avatar

LOL I figure it's a good bet she's going to say yes, Che!

Looking forward to hearing what you decided to do Sean!

SEAN SEAN SEAN SEAN SEAN OH MY GOD CONGRATS!!

<333!!!

I can't really be helpful though because I'm probably not going to get married until I'm late 20's, or probably never at all ;_;

Blog Entries

I have never married, but have proposed. Don't start in with sympathy. It had been a successful proposal. She said yes. Complications arose later, we had a falling out and dissolved the engagement.

But I proposed at a large scale fountain at the center of Lexington, KY. It was nothing elaborate or keyed up other than I went down on one knee with an open ring box in my hand. It was surprisingly easy and a fun experience, really.

-Sin

Fear not, this is not...the end of this world.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good..."

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

A lot of people here seem to get engaged/marry/start a family pretty early so I've seen a few of these engagements.

The cheesier the better seems to be the usual rule unless the girl gets easily embarrased and you're doing it in public, or you're prone to choking. That zoo idea sounded like a winner to me as it's the kind of thing a person'll remember.
    victoria aut mors

The Old Skool Warrior Proposing? LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    I can't really be helpful though because I'm probably not going to get married until I'm late 20's, or probably never at all ;_;
    Haha, I hear that... but if things stay on track with my current lady, she's still a bit young... if we wait until she's done with school, then I'll be pushing 28 by the time I'm finally hitched. Of course, there's no rule against a long engagement! A friend of mine has been engaged for seven years now. They promised each other they'd wait until they were done with school to get married, and they've been living together for years. Since they're both in graduate school, who knows how much more time they might have. :3
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoColt04 View Post
    Haha, I hear that... but if things stay on track with my current lady, she's still a bit young... if we wait until she's done with school, then I'll be pushing 28 by the time I'm finally hitched. Of course, there's no rule against a long engagement! A friend of mine has been engaged for seven years now. They promised each other they'd wait until they were done with school to get married, and they've been living together for years. Since they're both in graduate school, who knows how much more time they might have. :3
    Wow, born 1990. I don't think I'd ever date anyone born in the '90s. That's cute though. For me it's less of a long engagement or whatever, but more of that my current bf and I will be going in different directions in life and I honestly am awful at relationships. :T

... cradle robber! :3

Genocide Unfolds, I Forgive All Chez Daja's Avatar
    'Grats, Sean.

Last year, it was pretty much implied that my boyfriend was going to propose. He gave me an engagement ring for our fourth anniversary. Needless to say, I didn't really expect it and I knew he was planning to ask but... I didn't want it. In fact, I'd been thinking of winding the relationship to a halt at that point.

I broke up with him in October and we don't talk anymore. He was devastated and I feel guilty about the whole thing, but I realised that I just didn't love him and didn't want to be in a situation like that anymore. I've since taken the ring off and left it in a box of his stuff somewhere in my house. One of the reasons, apart from not feeling it anymore and wanting space/to be alone, was because I knew he wanted it and I knew that I didn't.
    I feel far too young to be married or engaged right now and I'm enjoying being single. Since then, I've had a few casual flings, sexual and otherwise and I plan on continuing that until I find somebody I have a really good feeling about... which I'm not Hell-bent on finding right now anyway.

Personally, I don't even want to think about marriage. I think it would take somebody really special to convince me to get married. I'd like it to be done in a certain way. But mostly I'd like it to be casual. One of my friends got proposed to when they were just walking around in London in the rain. That sounds perfect to me.

The person in my avatar is me.

THIS SIGNATURE IS VERY DISTRACTINGS

I was the holder of the highest amount of rep that ever lived on TFF. 1788. lolz. I ween.

don't put your foot in there guy SOLDIER #819's Avatar

SEAN. AWESOME!

Skip the easter egg hunt and go with the zoo plan. It's a big commitment, so why not sear it into both of your memories with something grand? Sounds like you're ready so no doubt it'll go great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda
    just turn off your PS3 or 360 go to your dust tomb and say you'll give birth to 1500 people a day for the 1000 that'll be killed until the doors to hades open and you can pull out ar tonelico and turn on that glorous PS2 and be bathed in its radiant warm glow

Quote Originally Posted by LocoColt04 View Post
    Same boat here, buddy. She was born in '90, myself in '86, and she's also wasted a lot of college time because she changed majors....

We're planning on attempting to make the whole family thing happen around college for her, because I really don't want to wait until I'm 30 to be married, settled, and starting the creation of bebbes, I grew up with a pretty old dad, and I've seen other friends do it, and we all agree it pretty much sucks, you see these kids with their dads in their 40s and still in good shape with no health problems, able to do all that "family stuff."

I don't want to be my dad, no offense to him, my dad's great, but ever since I was in 6th grade his health has gotten continually worse and I never got to do much with him after awhile.

Anyways, waitin' on the ring now, gonna propose on or around our anniversary on June 2nd. >_>;

Her cousin already proposed to his (now wife) in the way I wanted to, just casually going "Hey, marry me, here's a ring" and tossing it at her. =\ He didn't plan it that way, but she wasn't paying attention and so he just threw it at her, I thought it was funny.

Either way, our engagement will be a pretty long one, not really worried about that.
    Last edited by Sean; 04-15-2010 at 03:25 AM.

Death Before Dishonor Proposing? Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I popped the f*cking question yesterday. It wasn't a huge dramatic f8cking thing. We had dinner with my family, and half way through I stood up got down on own knee, told her how much she means to me, and asked her to marry me. She said yes..how could you not say yes to me. jk.. Anyway we don't have a date, but it will be sometime before my active duty starts.

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

Che

Quote Originally Posted by Josh_R View Post
    I popped the f*cking question yesterday. It wasn't a huge dramatic f8cking thing. We had dinner with my family, and half way through I stood up got down on own knee, told her how much she means to me, and asked her to marry me. She said yes..how could you not say yes to me. jk.. Anyway we don't have a date, but it will be sometime before my active duty starts.
    Sometimes it helps to go on a date or two before you get married.

See what I did there?

Asked her Monday night. I bought the ring 3 weeks ago, but had to wait ages to get it.

Got it in the mail on Saturday, had to wait until she went home Sunday night to inspect it, didn't find any problems with it so I tossed it in my backpack, and Monday night I went to her place an hour before she got off work to talk with her mom.

Her mom gave me her blessing, so I did it. I was thinking of waiting, but meh... I really didn't want to, the ring was burning a hole in my pocket and the timing worked anyways. I stole her promise ring from her on Sunday night to compare the diamonds (when I first looked at the ring briefly the diamonds didn't seem as shiny, but it was just the light) and since I had already taken her promise ring (and forgot it) I figured I'd replace it rather than holding onto the ring.

We were sitting on the couch, and I had the ring behind me, she poked me and said "Hey! Where's my promise ring shithead!?" and I said "Oops..." and kissed her, pulled out the box, opened it, and said "How's this instead.... will you marry me?"

Her reply was "Shut the **** up" then "MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM"

"Can I get a reply?"

"YES!"

I poked her with the box, "Uh uh, you put it on!" "Fiiine, gimmie your finger" slipped it on "MOOOOOOOOM!"

Then proceeded the facebooking/texting/giddyness for the evening.

Her dad's not happy that I didn't ask for his blessing, but her parents are going through a divorce and her dad's been less than friendly as of late, so I avoided him (when we talked about it a few weeks ago, she said I didn't have to talk to her father considering the circumstances)

The funny part was, when I told her mom I wanted to ask her, she had the same reply of "Shut up"

The more I thought about wanting to do something special, the more I realized that's not really me, and I wanted it to be something comfortable.
    Last edited by Sean; 04-28-2010 at 03:17 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast