Thread: Not worth the time

Blog Entries

Not worth the time

Ever had the experience of someone else making a ridiculous claim, and challenge it? You keep in mind it may also be true, but the ridiculousness of it really makes it unbelievable. You present your facts, and ask questions to learn more about it, but the person gets so defensive of their claim that it makes it even more unbelievable? Then you realize that it's not worth it to further the "discussion" after that point, as you don't have time to sit and argue with someone when neither of you can prove whether it's true or not.

When making a claim that is a bit out of the ordinary, how can you not expect someone to ponder if you're actually being truthful?
    Last edited by che; 08-23-2010 at 01:51 PM.

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

This ain't no place for no hero Not worth the time Tiffany's Avatar

Re: Not worth the time

All the time with a former friend of mine. She was prone to exaggerations though. It'd start out as something like "the fish was 12 inches long!" and after a few tellings would turn into "the fist was neon yellow, 2 stories high and could sing opera".

She's an idiot. Hence why I don't talk to her anymore.

I do it all the time with my friends...it keeps things interesting instead of a normal boring day. I say it just to get their attention.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Death Before Dishonor Not worth the time Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have friends that try to bullshit me all the time. There is no chance in hell they are being truthful.

One friends tried to feed me some bullshit about a bass he caught. He tried to tell me is was 3 feet long. I know this because we fish a Reserve. There are constant screenings of the fish in the ponds. The biggest they have recorded in the last 6 years is only 2 feet long. Now if they only found a 2 foot as the biggest how the hell does my buddy expect to believe that he caught a 3 footer...

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

Edit: Forget it.

Until now!

Blog Entries

for the most part, I put those kind of people on my ignore list unless I am in an irritated mood while they're running their mouth, then I build them up to the point where its almost like they believe their own lie, right before I pull the rug right from under them.

Feels good man.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

When it doesn't effect me I usually assume people are telling the truth unless I see relevant proof suggesting they're not. If they're lying, so what, it doesn't matter, but if they're telling the truth you won't look like a total asshole for jumping on them. There are exceptions to the rule though, if it's a broad topic such as Religion or the like you could perhaps justify feeling a desire to question their beliefs if it would help you or they further advance in understanding.

chad, can you give an example of the kinds of questions you're referring to? I'm not sure I get what you're saying there without illustration of some kind.

To answer the last part:
    You can't expect people not to ponder if you're being truthful or not when they don't actually know you or what you're speaking of. The people that matter however will often believe when they see evidence of what you're speaking of which is something that can often easily be provided offline, not so much online.
    victoria aut mors

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    When it doesn't effect me I usually assume people are telling the truth unless I see relevant proof suggesting they're not. If they're lying, so what, it doesn't matter, but if they're telling the truth you won't look like a total asshole for jumping on them. There are exceptions to the rule though, if it's a broad topic such as Religion or the like you could perhaps justify feeling a desire to question their beliefs if it would help you or they further advance in understanding.

chad, can you give an example of the kinds of questions you're referring to? I'm not sure I get what you're saying there without illustration of some kind.

To answer the last part:
    You can't expect people not to ponder if you're being truthful or not when they don't actually know you or what you're speaking of. The people that matter however will often believe when they see evidence of what you're speaking of which is something that can often easily be provided offline, not so much online.
    Okay, well I'm directly referring to your post in the "Awake" thread. You posted:

A couple weeks.
    I used to hardly get any sleep at all, but these days I average a good 4-6 hours after finding out my problem - I only ever start feeling tired enough to sleep in the morning. I go to bed then, am usually asleep within half an hour and then will stay out for that 4-6 hours. It makes me the ideal night shift worker...

I've gotten used to sleep these days though - worked four shifts totaling 24 hours on the weekend and the lack of sleep from that 48 hours led to me sleeping roughly eight hours straight.

to which I responded:

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    I think you need sleep, because the question was:

You first answered "a couple weeks", which cannot be true. The world record seems to be 11 days from some quick research. On top of that the rest of your post doesn't really make sense.

I presented a small bit of research to you, and questioned your meaning as at first you say "a couple weeks", then move on to say you average about "4-6 hours before [you] find your problem. Average about 4-6 hours of staying awake before you realize you need to sleep? Or 4-6 hours of sleep before you realize what? You need to sleep more?

That's where this came in:

On top of that the rest of your post doesn't really make sense.
    And then you responded with:

Verified world record. Meaning the guy would have had to have been observed for the whole 264 hours. Notice I didn't say exactly two weeks for myself neither. Perhaps I should have said between one week and two, but that would have been longer to type and I'm not trying to win any world records or anything.

But while we're on the subject, other claims of being awake longer have been reported, just they weren't observed and in some cases they've been considerably longer than 11 days. Would you be comfortable with people watching you that long to verify such a claim chad?

If the rest of my post wasn't interpretable to you, I'd think that says more about you than I. Is there anything in particular you'd like me to explain in greater detail using shorter words?
    You didn't present any factual information here. You did present a few things though.

• An argument
    • A defensive tone

I knew without your help I couldn't prove that you didn't stay awake for "a couple weeks" (which is a very vague term). I also knew that you were very defensive about defending your argument. I also knew that you were unprepared to present any factual information or any insight at all into why you had stayed awake for so long (if you had). So at this point I gave up trying to present any information to a person I knew was just going to try to drag an argument out of it instead of a debate.

So back to this:

To answer the last part:
    You can't expect people not to ponder if you're being truthful or not when they don't actually know you or what you're speaking of.
    No, you can't expect me to not ponder if you're being truthful or not when they don't know you or what you're speaking of. Which is why I needed the information you seemed so unwilling to give up. Another thing: this is the internet. That point would hold true in real life more than the internet. On here, it's the opposite. I don't know you, so why would I expect everything you say to be true? That would be a fault of my own.

The people that matter however will often believe when they see evidence of what you're speaking of which is something that can often easily be provided offline, not so much online.
    And this^. What "people that matter"? I assume you are talking about people that blindly believe your claims on the internet. What does it say about one's own intelligence if they believe everything you say and they have no way to prove it?

I presented a small bit of research to you, and questioned your meaning as at first you say "a couple weeks", then move on to say you average about "4-6 hours before [you] find your problem. Average about 4-6 hours of staying awake before you realize you need to sleep? Or 4-6 hours of sleep before you realize what? You need to sleep more?
    No, it clearly states I sleep 4-6 hours sleep after a period of 30 minutes trying to fall asleep and that I found my problem was that I only feel tired enough to sleep in the morning.

Now all my years up til 2007 I had to be awake at this time to get ready for school. If you wanted further information on that, you could have asked this in that other thread. I'm glad to clarify things like that.

You didn't present any factual information here. You did present a few things though.

• An argument
    • A defensive tone
    Oh I'm sorry, I thought the thread was in General Chat, not Intellectual Discussion. I don't have to justify any part of my lifestyle to anyone just as no-one else has to. If anything I felt I was being aggressive and sure enough it worked quite well.

I knew without your help I couldn't prove that you didn't stay awake for "a couple weeks" (which is a very vague term). I also knew that you were very defensive about defending your argument. I also knew that you were unprepared to present any factual information or any insight at all into why you had stayed awake for so long (if you had). So at this point I gave up trying to present any information to a person I knew was just going to try to drag an argument out of it instead of a debate.
    General Chat. The only evidence I can think of falls along the lines of medical records and the like and I'll be damned if I let you or any of your buddies see those. Why do you feel the need to make such a big deal out of something I say that doesn't effect you in any way? Don't believe it? I don't give a shit! I do however believe I have a right to defend myself.

No, you can't expect me to not ponder if you're being truthful or not when they don't know you or what you're speaking of. Which is why I needed the information you seemed so unwilling to give up. Another thing: this is the internet. That point would hold true in real life more than the internet. On here, it's the opposite. I don't know you, so why would I expect everything you say to be true? That would be a fault of my own.
    And why would you assume anything I say is false without knowing me? Why would you get so worked up about it? Again, this was a General Chat thread, not an Intellectual Discussion topic.

And this^. What "people that matter"? I assume you are talking about people that blindly believe your claims on the internet. What does it say about one's own intelligence if they believe everything you say and they have no way to prove it?
    People that matter - my friends and those that actually mean something to me. Quite possibly the only ones I would consider sharing delicate information with online or off. People like you though don't matter to me. Your actions against me might, but you yourself don't.

Again, where are examples of the questioning? All I saw from you were statements intended to belittle what I had to say. Constructive and destructive aren't one and the same, far from it.
    victoria aut mors

Blog Entries

No, it clearly states I sleep 4-6 hours sleep after a period of 30 minutes trying to fall asleep and that I found my problem was that I only feel tired enough to sleep in the morning.
    It doesn't "clearly" state this.

Now all my years up til 2007 I had to be awake at this time to get ready for school. If you wanted further information on that, you could have asked this in that other thread. I'm glad to clarify things like that.
    Irrelevant information. Red herring? Straw man?

Oh I'm sorry, I thought the thread was in General Chat, not Intellectual Discussion. I don't have to justify any part of my lifestyle to anyone just as no-one else has to. If anything I felt I was being aggressive and sure enough it worked quite well.
    So I'm assuming General Chat to you means you lower your intelligence to post in it? Or is that possible for you to do? In any case, we as a forum might need to rethink the intent behind GC. Or perhaps the rest of the forum gets it, but you're making false arguments here to lead me off. As for being aggressive, how can you be aggressive if you have nothing to back your aggression on? I brought the argument to you presenting new information. All you did was lay back and not say anything more about what you had already said. I think you may have some misconceptions about a defensive stance versus an aggressive stance.

General Chat. The only evidence I can think of falls along the lines of medical records and the like and I'll be damned if I let you or any of your buddies see those. Why do you feel the need to make such a big deal out of something I say that doesn't effect you in any way? Don't believe it? I don't give a shit! I do however believe I have a right to defend myself.
    Two 'General Chat' references back to back? You didn't even skip a paragraph mate. I'm not asking for your medical records. I was asking for an explanation of why you would stay awake for "a couple weeks" just because. And if that wasn't clear to you, someone else asked directly. You gave no indication as to why, which makes you automatically file into my category of "trying to act cool by staying awake longer". If it's your right to defend yourself on the internet, it's my right to defend myself by not believing in everything you say to be true. Sorry, mate.

And why would you assume anything I say is false without knowing me? Why would you get so worked up about it? Again, this was a General Chat thread, not an Intellectual Discussion topic.
    Another GC reference? I stated what I felt to be true the first time this topic came up. You don't need to "make yourself sound smarter" in an ID thread just as much as you don't need to "make yourself sounds less intelligent" in a GC thread. This is exactly what I've been talking about. You seem to think you have a superior intelligence, or post layout, or maybe it is you think you're able to present good arguments over the internet. Whatever it is, it's false. I might be determined to find out.

People that matter - my friends and those that actually mean something to me. Quite possibly the only ones I would consider sharing delicate information with online or off. People like you though don't matter to me. Your actions against me might, but you yourself don't.
    Glad you have internet friends to "back you up" bro. But you can no longer blame my posts on CPC8 like you used to. I'm my own person, now. I'm not in CPC8, so if that's what you're talking about I'm sure CPC8 would be glad to let you know that you are in the wrong for associating them with myself.

Again, where are examples of the questioning? All I saw from you were statements intended to belittle what I had to say. Constructive and destructive aren't one and the same, far from it.
    Did you not read the first half of my post? I went through it play-by-play Madden style. Did you read? Or was it too much for you?

It doesn't "clearly" state this.
    It seemed to clearly state it for anyone who wasn't you!

Irrelevant information. Red herring? Straw man?
    Quite relevant. If you had asked there I would have delivered, but you didn't.

So I'm assuming General Chat to you means you lower your intelligence to post in it? Or is that possible for you to do? In any case, we as a forum might need to rethink the intent behind GC. Or perhaps the rest of the forum gets it, but you're making false arguments here to lead me off. As for being aggressive, how can you be aggressive if you have nothing to back your aggression on? I brought the argument to you presenting new information. All you did was lay back and not say anything more about what you had already said. I think you may have some misconceptions about a defensive stance versus an aggressive stance.
    Should I then assume that you use scientific logic in your general conversation? Perhaps I'm wrong, but just like in real life I tend to leave the intellectual stuff out of general conversations. It kills the flow.

It's very easy to be aggressive without anything to back aggression on. Some people can be aggressive for no real reason what-so-ever other than that's how they want to be.

You didn't bring any argument for me by the way. You quoted my post, mentioned the verified record and didn't ask a single question. I shot down the verified part, and another member further shot it down later in the thread.

Two 'General Chat' references back to back? You didn't even skip a paragraph mate. I'm not asking for your medical records. I was asking for an explanation of why you would stay awake for "a couple weeks" just because. And if that wasn't clear to you, someone else asked directly. You gave no indication as to why, which makes you automatically file into my category of "trying to act cool by staying awake longer". If it's your right to defend yourself on the internet, it's my right to defend myself by not believing in everything you say to be true. Sorry, mate.
    I didn't say I didn't sleep 'just because'. I don't believe I originally gave a reason at all, through saying what you have, you're effectively suggesting you based all this on an assumption, no? Perhaps you missed the part where I mentioned how it was detrimental to my health? I don't know about you, but I'm not overly happy with things that are detrimental to my health that I have no control over. And I already said you were entitled to disbelieve. You've escalated it though and I'm not about to stop.

Another GC reference? I stated what I felt to be true the first time this topic came up. You don't need to "make yourself sound smarter" in an ID thread just as much as you don't need to "make yourself sounds less intelligent" in a GC thread. This is exactly what I've been talking about. You seem to think you have a superior intelligence, or post layout, or maybe it is you think you're able to present good arguments over the internet. Whatever it is, it's false. I might be determined to find out.
    Yeah, another General Chat reference. What, are you going to start intellectually breaking down word game posts next? They're in different sections for a reason you know. Again you claim I think I have a superior intellect. News flash brah! I don't. Only school I did after Grade 12 was a couple week security course. You on the other hand seem to think very highly of yourself what with the whole trying to bring an uneducated person such as myself down for not acting like Einstein thing. Congrats, you're arguing with someone who chose a life of mediocrity!

Glad you have internet friends to "back you up" bro. But you can no longer blame my posts on CPC8 like you used to. I'm my own person, now. I'm not in CPC8, so if that's what you're talking about I'm sure CPC8 would be glad to let you know that you are in the wrong for associating them with myself.
    No, but I can still point out the affiliation. You're still on very good terms with some of them and that is plainly evident from some of your public interactions with them. Not the issue though, I'm not having a go at them here, I'm going head to head with you with no-one else on my side. Just the way I like it.

Did you not read the first half of my post? I went through it play-by-play Madden style. Did you read? Or was it too much for you?
    Quote Originally Posted by chad's post
    You first answered "a couple weeks", which cannot be true. The world record seems to be 11 days from some quick research. On top of that the rest of your post doesn't really make sense.
    I repeat myself. Where is a single question in that post?
    victoria aut mors

Blog Entries

silver, I am the dalai lama and even I couldn't decipher what your original post was until I took about 4 times to read it. My assistant monks took like 7 or 8 tries just to figure it out too. And I'm very intelligent. it wasnt just chad. just sayin.

anyways, I have come here to say two things.

Silver - you are talking out your ass at this point and you just need to shut the **** up.

chad - you are mad and just trying instigate a fight at this point and you just need to shut the **** up.

both of you go to bed now and recite you daily blessings, I'll check on you two in the morning.

tl;dr, umad.:
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Gingersnap Not worth the time OceanEyes28's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Do not flame or bait each other. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

If you guys get carried away, I have to close this.

Topic...

Well. Internet fights used to be worth my time. Now I get bored pretty quickly.
    Curious?

Read more.

TFF Awards:

Nicest Female 2006. Best Couple 2006. Nicest Female 2005. Best Couple 2005. Tie for Nicest Female 2004. Best Couple 2004. Flamer of the Week 2005.

"I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."

. SOLDIER ('04) . cHoSeN ('04) . Por Rorr Kitty9 ('09).
    HEY DO YOU LIKE MUSIC? Because I make music.
    LISTEN HERE!

#LOCKE4GOD Not worth the time Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Creationists.

...someone else making a ridiculous claim, and challenge it?

You keep in mind it may also be true, but the ridiculousness of it really makes it unbelievable.

You present your facts, and ask questions to learn more about it, but the person gets so defensive of their claim that it makes it even more unbelievable?

Then you realize that it's not worth it to further the "discussion" after that point, as you don't have time to sit and argue with someone when neither of you can prove whether it's true or not.
    The last part doesn't really work, as the science of evolution is pretty concrete.
    Last edited by Alpha; 08-24-2010 at 04:03 AM.

Bananarama Not worth the time Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

One time, I swallowed a bunch of bb's, jerked off and shot my dog.

In short, I'm not a fan of people who need to tell tall tales to get attention. I can understand that sometimes ridiculous things do happen to people, and the occasional "wtf" story is appreciated, so long as that person doesn't have a new story every day that tops the ridiculousness of the last one. You don't get known as the kid who does crazy shit; you become the kid who tells tall tales.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

The Bad Boy of TFF Not worth the time Block's Avatar

I think this thread is quite dead. Quite dead indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alisyn
    I can tell by looking at you right at this moment from the angle of through your window that you have nothing to be ashamed of
    CPC8: Makin' it happen.

My couch pulls out but I don't. Not worth the time midgetbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    One time, I swallowed a bunch of bb's, jerked off and shot my dog.
    I spit out my orange juice... now I have no orange juice

So now, I think it's stupid and just give the person the condescending nod and a, "yeah... I gotcha now." Which pisses the person off even more, which makes me giggle for them being stupid.

Stupid people and no more orange juice... angry.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Creationists.
    The portrayal of creationism as a definite, concrete falsehood.

Until now!

Blog Entries

I totally sasquatched this thread though. Amirite?

I like that verb.

Until now!

Registered User Not worth the time Sharpshooter's Avatar

I do this all the time with my friends to turn up hilarious conversations! xD
    I think the last one I came up with was:
    "Would you eat your own bestfriend(if she/he died) while being stranded on a desert in order to survive?"

I love to be random about things, it keeps others interested.
    Though I have to admit there is a limit, like when people just start screaming out utter nonsense just to gain attention =/
    Final Fantasy and Samurai Champloo FTW!!