Thread: Hypnotism

Boxer of the Galaxy Hypnotism Rowan's Avatar

Hypnotism

As apart of my self-discovery/learning I'm trying to incorperate into my life as of recently, I had been focusing a lot of time into studying things I find absurb to form proper opinions on. This time I have chosen hypnotism and to finding out whether or not it was a legitimate exercise. The conclusion that I have come too is that 'excercise' is the perfect word to describe what hypnotism really is. Allow me to elaborate;

From what I have came to understand and experience, hypnotism is not another person dominating you, but rather an agreement between you and the hypnotist. There is a distinct difference between domination and surrender. You may heard this yourselves and in that it only works if 'you want it too'. This is the easiest way of explaining and the first principle of hypnotism. It is also a good way of understanding why most people who try to get hynotised never actually succeed in achieving their said goals; because they actually dont want to quit smoking, they actually dont want to etc,etc. I had a rather unique experience the other night testing a certain method and found the experience to be quite... interesting. To be hypnotised is not to be under the control of another person, it is to allow another person to help you achieve a goal that you want. Also, from my experience so far, hypnotism is only temporary and lasts for as long as you remain in the trance, which is broken just as easily and comfortably when you desire. I found falling into the trance simple, but maintaining the trance to be difficult. This was mainly because I believe my mind to have many guards up, and not even I myself am able to shut them down completely. Now, for your sake I will not give details on what the hypnotism was about, but I'll tell you that I was surprised at the result.

Once again, for anyone interested in hypnotism but who is concerned that its about a person controlling you, its actually the opposite. You are allowing them to communicate with you and you surrender to their will through a relaxed state of mind. Its all about your will and what you want. If anything ,hypnotism is just a tool to help you achieve your goals.

Your goal is the nail on the wood, hypnotism is the hammer, and you are the hand.(i made that up, cool right?)
    Summing up; Hypnotism was not how I had pictured it from videos etc. Hypnotists hypnotising people and making them cluck like chickens is bullshit. Its about surrendering your mind and allowing another to be the driving force between your concious and subconcious.

Share your experiences here as I am now genuinly interested in others experiences.

edit: for those that are still skeptic, I highly believe its because you still think of hypnotism as a tool of manipulation, when it is in fact more of an exercise to amplify the power of your will.
    Last edited by Rowan; 02-20-2014 at 03:48 PM.

My understanding of hypnotism from when i dabbled in psych, is that its basically the hypnotist tapping in, communicating with your unconscious (subconscious) mind, and planting/changing things upon request, but it would have to be something you want, like quitting smoking for example.

In Freudian terms, the mind is made up of the ID, ego and super ego

I'll leave the wiki link here breaking it down, i know its wiki but its an accurate break down.

But under hypnosis, the ego is diminished and you can commune with the ID part of the mind, however the super ego is still there and you're still in full control. Nobody can make you do crazy shit you don't want like cluck like a chicken, unless you want to

It can also be helpful in digging up old/repressed memories etc

I have never went or tried to be hypnotised, i did think about doing it a few years back to shake bad habits but never followed through..

I just did it VIA mp3. Im not sure if I'd do it again, now that I know how it works etc. I dont really have a use for it to be honest. I just felt like telling everyone my perception of it. Because those performers are full of crap and give it a bad rep. I think hypnotism is an excellent tool for sharpening your mind. Its like weight training for your mind, with a particular mind muscle in play.

Blog Entries
    I don't think I'm smart enough to let another person into my mind and change things around. That sounds really hard to do. x.x

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

You just relax and focus on what it is you want, and use the words to help you reach that goal. If anything, its very similar to meditation. A prolonged state of relaxed conentration. Theres really nothing to it, man.

edit: thats not really what hypnotism is, in my view. Noone changes anything about you, except yourself.
    Last edited by Rowan; 02-20-2014 at 05:56 PM.

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think that it's very easy to trick the human mind. I don't think someone could make you do something using it, but rather make you believe that you could do something. Remember when Darren Brown made people believe that they couldn't get up out of their seats during a show of his? And most of them really couldn't stand up? You can sit there and convince yourself that your foot is dead right now if you wanted to, and it won't move until you make yourself believe that it can move.

It's not someone getting into your head; just an idea being planted there. The power of suggestion is more powerful than people think.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.