Thread: What does it mean; Why does it matter?

Sir Prize What does it mean; Why does it matter? Sinister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What does it mean; Why does it matter?

You all invest interest in things. Are they shiny, expensive, intelligent, funny, delicious, popular. It's all the fluff and pomp and circumstance associated with a consumer culture. Why? What does it for you?

Are you interested in an items aesthetics or popularity?

Are you interested in it's novelty?

Are you interested in it's function?

Why do you buy? Out of need of the item or the need to buy? Because something catches your eye? It's shiny, looks good. Or you have money lying around you have to get rid of it?

Why, asks a curious creature.

-Sin

Fear not, this is not...the end of this world.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good..."

It honestly depends upon the item in which I'm purchasing. First of all I would like to address the popularity factor - never have I really followed trends. I don't buy something purely because 'everyone else has it - so I must too'. If I see that it may suit me, or in fact prove to be useful then I buy it.
    As for aesthetics... Hmm... I would probably go as far to say that 83% of the time I am shallow enough to consider buying something for it's appearance. But again, it of course depends on the item! But it is always nice to have something that is kinder to the eye.

Yes! I am interested in its novelty. I like my stuff to be original etc..

Of course I am... if I don't think the item has a decent function for me then I don't buy it. Unless it's an extremely cute plush... then I'm shameless..

Why do you buy?

Why do I buy? For the pure and simple reason because I want to. Unless of course when it comes to food shopping - then I have to. Sometimes I buy for entertainment (this to include a good movie, series, videogame), or sometimes for luxery (soaps and bath salts) and sometimes because the need for a new gadget is fun.
    I'm not an excessive spender... Most of the time I buy when I need to buy. Unless of course when it comes to the entertainment clause. One can never have enough series or games...
    When purchasing items sometimes yes the appearance makes a difference. This is true to many things - even food shopping. Would you buy a bruised apple or an undamaged one?
    Just for the record... I don't have money lying around I need to get rid of XD

Following the path for truth...

and ending the dream.

Asking all the personal questions. What does it mean; Why does it matter? RamesesII's Avatar
    I am a god, where ever the hell I please.
    Blog Entries
    Whats the saying if it is heavy it is expensive, i like my electronics like PlayStation and computers the novelty wears off but they are always fun and pass the time.

I like to buy expensive sunglasses but for a good reason because i am sensitive to the sunlight so i need good quality polarized sunglasses but they have to be extremely comfortable because if they are not i get serious migraines.

No i don't really care about the popularity of an object if it happens to be popular i am just one of the many that make it popular.

I just bought a $200 utility knife so yes function does play a big part for my expensive things i don't think there has been a day that i haven't used it since i bought it hence the reason i bought it because it is very useful.

Before kids etc if i had money lying around i would have to go and buy some anime even if i didn't have any money i would sometimes spend money on anime or books when i should be paying bills with it oops.
    A mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer.
    --Ancient Egyptian Wisdom, 2200 B.C.

Crao Porr Cock8, Go and get a Cock8 up ya.

The finer details of a signature:

CHE- "I pee sitting down after I have sex because for some reason after I have sex and I try to pee, it goes everywhere."
    Nuff said^

My loving TFF Family:

My beautiful go-go dancing Queen Aara
    My brother Meier Link, proudly supporting the World Wide Institute of Booze since 1982.
    My Spasmodic, spamtastic, spammer nephew Fate.
    My brother HUNK, he who wears the number 1 headband.
    My glowing Goddess of Egyptian thingy's, Unknown Entity.
    My Unique and unpredictable mother Kilala ^^.
    My little arcade freak brother nra4.
    My brother Captain of the Dragoon warriors, Mallick.
    My razzle, dazzle, razamatic, razphony brother Ralz
    My younger brother Ryu-Kentoshii Hirokima, the Legendary Samurai who Doesn't take "No" for an Answer.

Literature:

Recently read-
    Belgariad- David Eddings

Currently Reading-
    The Tournament by Matthew Reilly

Gaming:

Currently PLaying

-Minecraft
    - ASS Creed III

Govinda
    Some things are bought for function alone - lighters, or disposable barbecues. Most everything else I buy will have some element of aesthetic interest to me. My phone isn't expensive at all, but I chose it for that reason and because it sits in my hand easily, and is sleek. My shoes are very practical and long-lasting, but wearing nothing but Doc Martens is a choice. It's aesthetic too, because they come in the best colours of all shoes.

Novelty only comes into it with books and CDs. I don't really know what other people buy; if don't like it, I won't buy it, end of. I rarely spend money for the sake of it.

If I might ask, Sinister, what are you thinking about? I might be able to give a more concise answer that way.

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm more interested in what it does than if everyone else is buying it. I mean, whats the use in me buying a GPS thingy, if I don't have car? Or if I live and stay in London for that matter.

I think the look is what I go for with items, the quality, and how it feels.

I have a Vincent Valentine figurine. It was £18. I <3 Vincent, so I guess thats for the novelty. I guess game's and console's can come in here too. So yeah, I guess sometimes it's for the fun of it.

More than everything else about it. Like I said before about the GPS.

Why do you buy? Out of need of the item or the need to buy? Because something catches your eye? It's shiny, looks good. Or you have money lying around you have to get rid of it?

Mainly if I need something, of if I like the look of something. I don't really get the feel to spend, though it happened when I bought GTA IV - I just happened to have £25 odd on me. =S

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Blog Entries
    I wasn't thinking on any specific brand or category of items. I was just curious to leave the question open-ended and see how you all responded. But cell phones are a brilliant example. Cars would be another possibility. Anything that comes in fashion, function, popular, unpopular or different categories.

Clothes is another one. Do you dress to impress, buy for economy. ect...

-Sin

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post

-Sin
    That is a good question...
    Hmmm... I think I do a bit of both to be honest. I don't go to expensive brand shops, but to average ones I suppose. And I pick the nicest of that selection.
    But say for example there was a beautiful top at like... 30 pounds... and a mediocre one for 20 pounds.. I'd go for the beautiful. BUT. If there was a dream top at like 100 pounds, I wouldn't touch it. I can't justify that amount of money...
    So I dabble in both areas. Ironically my favourite outfit I have now is from the budget sale section - but I look best in it. Cheap clothes suit me haha.

Following the path for truth...

and ending the dream.

Genocide Unfolds, I Forgive All Chez Daja's Avatar
    Let me be completely honest here; I never buy things unless I know I will use it again and again until the end of it's (or my) lifespan.

Quite literally, I have a very old Nokia mobile phone and quite an old digital camera. My computer is the only thing that is fairly new and even then it's four years old and doesn't have many of the amazing functions other people have on theirs. I like my old technology because it just seems easier to use and I dislike the hassle of setting up new ones.

It would be pointless of me to answer your questions because I very rarely buy anything that is popular or tech-related.

I buy things for my hamsters; this includes food and new toys when they've chewed up or ruined the old ones.
    I don't buy much else, but if I feel like treating myself, I'll buy a book or a DVD.
    When it comes down to clothing, I have simple taste. Jeans, vest and a shirt over the top with my steel capped combat boots with a regular handbag. I rarely buy new clothes, but when I do, they're cheap, functional and pratical. My combats were a gift, too; I chose them and my mum decided she'd buy them for me (although I think it was because she was shocked when she saw that my old combats had a huge gash in the sole. )

I'm very boring, but traditional when it comes to spending: Only if I need it, only if I REALLY want it... The occassional treat of a book or DVD is usually when they become dirt cheap on Amazon. It's not that I don't have any money, it's just that saving and paying off things is more important to me at this moment in time.

The person in my avatar is me.

THIS SIGNATURE IS VERY DISTRACTINGS

I was the holder of the highest amount of rep that ever lived on TFF. 1788. lolz. I ween.

Govinda
    I wasn't thinking on any specific brand or category of items. I was just curious to leave the question open-ended and see how you all responded. But cell phones are a brilliant example. Cars would be another possibility. Anything that comes in fashion, function, popular, unpopular or different categories.

-Sin

Well, I was more asking where your line of inquiry came from, since your answers to questions like that are usually interesting. If you don't wish to divulge, it's cool.

As for clothes, I buy based on fabric and colour, and to a certain extent economy. If I like the colour, texture and cut, I'll usually buy. I walk around shops feeling things; I've been picked up by security for it before.

Blog Entries
    Ah, I see. lol... I've always kind of looked at consumer culture as a more modern religion...it has it's laws, theologians, it's worshipers, it's temples, pagan idols, rewards, punishments and gods, not to bury us in pataphysics, though.

And while I personally was never a fan of such a thing, I've recently become a believer(or more likely, as I have as a reputation in most religions, a dabbler). One can only speculate a reason. I've bought various objects, both consumable and permanent.

Consider it, reconnaissance in order to probe the depths and reasons behind such things.

-Sin

Warrior Ninja What does it mean; Why does it matter? Led Zeppelin's Avatar
    I'm not interested in anythings popularity because why buy something if you never really wanted it?? I'm not going to say because you can live without small things but I'm attached to some small objects (Ring on my left thumb and I have a thing for pencils^^) But shiny things tend to attrack me too, I won't go after absolutely any shiny thing unless it has super shine then I'll have to touch it :] I''m generally more interested though if an object is any good to me and the function of it =]

Oh course I'm interested in its function because I don't like buying things if I won't use it or don't know how to work it ^^...There's exceptions to every rule though I don't believe a million unsharpened pencils that I refuse to use will do me any good years down the round but I can't help myself when it comes to those those things... But generally I look over an items quality =]

I buy because I either need it really badly because you use it everydayor sometimes if it's really unique and it catches my eye...I don't buy everything thats shiny I just like the shine and like to touch it ^^'....I don't believe anybody just has money lying around since we're in global economony desaster where money is running dry and the government is having a hard time I don't like buying to much because I'd hate to run out :]

I buy clothes that I like and I could care less if nobody else did as long as it's comfy( Couldn't last if its not comfortable) since I don't like clothes that you can't get dirty because it'll get dirty and ruined....I roll in the grass you can't expect much XD... I also run through the forest so if I had very fancy things on they wouldn't last a mile I just like adventure and some clothes don't fit in that categorie :]

Govinda
    Ah, I see. lol... I've always kind of looked at consumer culture as a more modern religion...it has it's laws, theologians, it's worshipers, it's temples, pagan idols, rewards, punishments and gods, not to bury us in pataphysics, though.

And while I personally was never a fan of such a thing, I've recently become a believer(or more likely, as I have as a reputation in most religions, a dabbler). One can only speculate a reason. I've bought various objects, both consumable and permanent.

Consider it, reconnaissance in order to probe the depths and reasons behind such things.

-Sin
    Ah! I see. Track down a novel called Kingdom Come by JG Ballard. Excellent story about what you're talking about, about how shopping malls are modern temples worthy of defence, and of how advertisers are the missioaries. I think you'd really like it.

You should always wear black. You will be the most stain resistant person in the room, and you will always be prepared to be somewhat ready for either a wedding, a funeral, or other social event.

As to the rest, bah I say. You shouldn't let other people get your kicks for you.

Blog Entries

Don't care much about popularity, but I do tend toward things that look nice. It's not a requirement, just a bonus. If it's functional and butt-ugly, well I'd still use it, I just won't leave it lying around as often.

Are you interested in its novelty?

Novelty for the sake of it? No thanks. Great way to waste money, imo.

Are you interested in its function?

I do like things to have at least some sort of function. Either it improves myself in some way or the space I occupy.

Hah, I am quite miserly most of the time so you'll rarely catch me spending money just cause it's burning the proverbial hole in my pocket. I buy an item if I need it or will get something out of it. Knowledge, entertainment, etc. I don't buy 'just because'.

I work in retail and honestly I find the whole concept appalling. Americans on the whole have forgotten things like saving and value. People want their things as cheap and as fast as possible. When the next couple of generations start getting into retirement age it's going to be a hell of a wake up call, imo. I will be the one in the back watching the chaos from my lounge chair with an iced tea cause while they were buying tons of crap they didn't need, I'm saving and investing and paying myself first before I hand a single dollar to any business.

Nope, I'm not bitter about my job at all.

~DragonHeart~
    Family: Psiko, Mistress Sheena, Djinn

I'm very interested in aesthetics for my technology... and popularity to an extent. I care more about function and reliability for technology, but many times this means it's a popular item for those very reasons.

Eh... not really.

Functionality is the most important thing for all things I buy, technology or otherwise. When it comes to clothing, I care more about it looking presentable but being comfortable and durable... with technology I care more about if it can get the job done that I want it to do.

I'm like a woman and her clothes/shoes when it comes to buying technology though.... I have 2 PCs, a file server, 2 (broken) laptops and a netbook, a box of PC components, two 3-4 year old motherboards w/ CPUs in a box, about a dozen cell phones, a 360, Wii, 54" TV... four computer monitors... random other things.