Thread: End of the decade

.............. End of the decade smurphy's Avatar

End of the decade

Ok folks the start of a new decade is approaching and this means the end of the noughties. What do you think defines this decade? What is your favourite
    film, game, album and book of the decade?Do you think it will be remembered fondly?

To start off my favourite movie overall was Battle Royale, though from the west my fav would be the dark knight. My favourite game would be FFIX or Fallout 3, my favourite album the Blackening by Machinehead and my favourite book would be one of the his dark materials trilogy. Unfortunately i think terrorism and the conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq will be remembered. Over to you........................................

Quote Originally Posted by smurphy
    What do you think defines this decade?
    Terrorism!

Until now!

Registered User End of the decade
    This means that VH1 can finish thier "I Love the New Millenium" show! I forget which year they stopped at, but I would like to see Hal Sparks and friends talk about the stuff that happened this decade.

No, but seriously, I think what would define this decade would either be the advancements made in electronics (High Def tvs, Blu-Ray, iPods etc.) or unfortunately the recession that's going on... Yeah, for some reason, the negative stuff is usually remembered far longer than the positive stuff...

As for what I liked about this decade, well lots of stuff.

Movie: I would have to go with the Dark Knight. I think it's one of those films that could be considered an instant classic (yeah, I used an oxymoron...)

Books: I would have to go with the Harry Potter series. Granted, the first book was released in the late '90's, but the popularity grew in the '00's and the series developed during that time as well. I wasn't a fan of how it ended, but you can't deny that HP had a pretty big influence over people to get back into reading.

Game: OKAMI!!!

I love that game, and I can't wait for the sequel! It's one of those games that I can say without a doubt in my mind that it's an absolute favorite.

I'll have to get back to you on music, but for right now, I'm going to say Coldplay. Viva La Vida was huge for a while, and I think that it's one of those songs that will be remembered for a long time.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Hm. The last nine years have just been such a jumble of mixed emotions and teenage angst, I do declare. It makes me happy enough to announce the following:

IRAN'S GOT NUKES.

The most disappointing thing I have seen in this life, is the Snuggie. The one for dogs. DOGS.

God, I hope a viral outbreak that destroys all mankind happens soon.
    I remember when you were happy with a RADISH.

Bananarama End of the decade Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Jin nailed it.

Terrorism defined this decade. 9/11 is just one of those things that a lot of people forget about, but when I hop up on my roof and see that the skyline is missing a pretty big something, it makes me both mad and sad. But enough about that, don't wanna be Debbie Downer.

As for books, in terms of popularity, Harry Potter would take the cake, easily. I'm not really a fan of the series, nor have I ever really been what anyone would call an avid reader, unless you count the sports and comics sections of the newspaper.

I think the best movies of the decade, that really defined 2000s were: Both Batman films and The Departed. All three told fantastic stories, with a heavy amount of technology use, which seemed to match the flair of the era.

As for games: I really couldn't say what game was THE best of the decade. On one hand the Grand Theft Auto series really revolutionized gameplay, in terms of making the sandbox style pretty popular. I also think that Fallout 3 really worked to expand on the sandbox, by weaving in some powerful storytelling and fun to the whole sandbox style. Windwaker was also sick, for being a great game, with awesome graphics.

Music: This one is kinda tough as well. The best album of the 2000s? That's something that can really be argued a million ways to Sunday. I think St. Anger by Metallica was one of the most controversial albums, since it kind of unveiled to the world how messed up they are. I also think Metallica makes the biggest splash due to the whole napster deal. They really helped to make illegally downloading music more mainstream than not, because how many people had even heard of napster before they started going to war with them?
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Blog Entries
    We've come ten years since 2000 already? Really? It doesn't seem like it's been that long... in some ways. Although the 90's seem forever ago now.

I think I can agree with Jin and Pete about terrorism and 911 being pretty big occurrences in the decade, and dodie16 on the advancement of technology. How about those sites like youtube, that allow people to upload movies online, or those social networking sites like myspace and facebook? Who would've dreamed that we'd be wasting our time with all this crap back in the 90's?

Music and Media took a very anti-Bush and Republican turn in the middle of the decade, so there's another defining factor. Can you think of another president who was personally opposed by a CD compilation? (Rock Against Bush, volumes 1 through whatever.) The rest of the world didn't like him much, either.

Favorite movies of the decade, I would have to look to the Lord of the Rings trilogy, personally. Although they happened early in the decade, they were pretty big at the time. The Dark Knight is a defining movie for the later part of the decade, definitely. The name "Pixar" also comes to mind. As for the music of the decade... I don't have a clue what the kids are listening to these days. What's this Lady GaGa bullshit I'm overhearing? LMFAO? 50 Cent? Usher winning a grammy for a song who's melody consists of three fucking notes? (Utter bullshit.) Along with pseudo-emo and mall punk bands, pop music is getting more and more shitty.

Gaming is definitely taking strides, becoming more innovative and immersive (The Wii, and mostly Nintendo produced games put out for it, games like Oblivion and Morrowind.) Older games are also coming back via downloads, and even games are being created based on that old nostalgia (like New Super Mario Bros., Mega Man 9 & 10.)

I could go on... Anyhoo...

Wuv, yer Mom

#LOCKE4GOD End of the decade Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Best album of the Noughties: Kid A, by Radiohead, released in October 2000. If you listen close, about 70% of rock acts since have been influenced by this. It deserves to represent the sound of 2000s rock.

Other than that, terrorism and climate change define this decade. Terrorism is obvious. The 'War on Terror' will live on as the dawn of modern warfare; ambiguous, racist, delaying flights. Climate change, seriously studied since the sixties, has really entered public consciousness (read: internetz) in this decade. 2010s will be defined by whether we recognise the challenge and act on it, or fail our descendants.

Shake it like a polaroid picture End of the decade RagnaToad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Telegraph View Post
    We've come ten years since 2000 already? Really?
    Since 2000 ended? No. Nine years.

But the 00's started when 1999 ended, which is almost ten years ago now.

(Although the 21st century will still only be 9 years old.)
    Last edited by RagnaToad; 12-10-2009 at 04:32 AM.
    Crao Porr Cock8: Getting it while the getting's good

This ain't no place for no hero End of the decade Tiffany's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    Terrorism!
    That totally reminded me of a Robot Chicken episode.

TERRORISM!!!!

*cough* that aside...

I'd say when I think of this decade, it'll be "WMD's", Global Warming and lots of partying (done by me) in the earlier part of it.
    Last edited by Tiffany; 12-10-2009 at 06:40 AM.

Death Before Dishonor End of the decade Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Jin pretty much said it all terrorrism. It was a main thing this decade and definitely made a huge impact on life.

Another thing would be Fallout 3 incredible game. THese are the things that made this decade what it is today...

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

I will finish the hunt End of the decade Cheesevixen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Films:
    Underworld: Rise of the Lycans
    Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Album:
    Lady Gaga

There was nothing historical I will remember. Nothing surprises me anymore. I will probably remember that yesterday they banned texting inside the Houston City limits, and that snow finally fell in Texas two years in a row. Other than that it's just SSDD.

Personally I will remember this year as the year my daughter was brought into this world. Also, the year I got married to the man of my dreams.

Oh, and I realize I am only answering for this year, but only because this question is a little retarded based on the fact it is not 2010 yet. When it is I'll come back. ty
    Last edited by Cheesevixen; 12-10-2009 at 09:15 AM.
    "Some men just want to watch the world burn"

You nailed it, Tiff.

Really, I wasn't trying to be profound.

Until now!

#LOCKE4GOD End of the decade Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    WTF will we call the 2010s?

The 'Noughties' already sounds lame, but I can live with it. But the "Tens"? The "Teens"? They suck.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    WTF will we call the 2010s?

The 'Noughties' already sounds lame, but I can live with it. But the "Tens"? The "Teens"? They suck.
    I don't even know what this past decade is referred to as. The 2000's? The new millennium decade?

As for Cheesevixon calling the question of this thread being "retarded" because it's not 2010 yet... what more do you think will happen in the next few weeks that will be notable for the decade? And why was it more acceptable for you to respond for this year instead of the rest of the decade, when this year isn't over yet, either?

Something a friend brought up when we were talking are cell phones becoming common place-another thing to go under the technology banner. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

Best album: Years of Refusal by Morrissey.
    Best film: Lost in Translation
    Best book: God is not Great by Christopher Hitchens
    Things to remember: I started driving a car and lost my virginity. The rest of the decade was a wash.

Shake it like a polaroid picture End of the decade RagnaToad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Best album: Years of Refusal by Morrissey.
    Best film: Lost in Translation
    Best book: God is not Great by Christopher Hitchens
    Things to remember: I started driving a car and lost my virginity. The rest of the decade was a wash.
    I thought you said The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford was the best film of the decade?

Anyway, all you fuckers are forgetting something:

You joined TFF.
    Crao Porr Cock8: Getting it while the getting's good

I will finish the hunt End of the decade Cheesevixen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Telegraph View Post

As for Cheesevixon calling the question of this thread being "retarded" because it's not 2010 yet... what more do you think will happen in the next few weeks that will be notable for the decade? And why was it more acceptable for you to respond for this year instead of the rest of the decade, when this year isn't over yet, either?

and I said a "little" retarded lol. I am entitled to that opinion.
    "Some men just want to watch the world burn"