Thread: Childhood Toys

Childhood Toys

What was your favourite toy as a kid? What toy can you recall playing with the most?

Consistently Average Childhood Toys Kurt Zisa's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Probably my Transformers, I must have had quite a few of them. Growing up in the late 90's meant that most of them were from Beast Wars, but I had a few G1 toys like Jazz and Vortex.

Transmetal Megatron
    was my first one, and probably my favourite. I got him as a present when my brother was born, and I was more excited about that to be honest, but by the time they were all given away he had lost both his legs and the claw on the end of his tail had teeth marks in it. His t-rex mouth opened and he had fold-out roller blades on the bottom of his feet, you couldn't get much cooler than that.

This guy was another of my favourites. I think it had something to do with the see-through red parts, and that his drills would turn if you pushed him along the ground.

Oh and finally I had Optimal Optimus, who was massive. He these armor plates on his arms that could spring off but they were a nightmare to fit back on so he, ended up with really skinny arms most of the time.

It's at this point where I have to forcefully stop myself from geeking out over my old toys.
    Currently Playing:
    Pillars of Eternity (PC)

I play Magic! See what decks im playing or building here!

The 90’s were an incredibly revolutionary decade for technology with so many amazing inventions, toys that inspired the more advanced technology that we have today. Im so lucky I was old enough albeit still very young to make sense of it all. Name just one toy??......!! Not a chance.

i7k.jpg I had 12 reels. Some of them were Disney and DC Comics slides and some with pretty scenery pics I would view them over and over and over but I wanted more. I got sick of looking at the same ones.

flJb.jpg
    I LOVED seeing how high I could get them into the air then watch them twirling down hoping theyd hit someone.. used mine as a weapon against my sisters.

500.jpg So annoying when they wouldnt stick or stay on. I remember rocking up to (primary) school with a different pair on each day thinkin I was a damn supermodel Funnily enough I ended up modelling throughout high school.

919.jpg
    It didnt have to be summer for me to use this. Id fill it right up then wake up my brothers and sisters with it - yeaah I was a naughty<3 -SuperSoaker

5ec.jpg One of the best toys ever. I got so paranoid the ball would get stuck in the maze. Back in 1997, after watching Aeris die for the very first time, the placement of the stumps always reminded me of it esp when the ball bounces off each one similar to when the white materia falls out. Every now and again I would just pick up the freaking ball XD

3c0.jpg I fondly remember playing this electronic fishing board game at least once a day with my family n cousins. Its an electronic fishing toy that is round in shape with a rotating disk with holes where the fish are placed. I remember trying to catch as many fishes as I could with the small, delicate magnetic fishing pole while them fishes are bobbing up and down, opening and closing their mouths in random. The rotating noise was rather loud n irritating. I also remember using the toy fishing rod to magnetize my toy cars and anything else that was magnetic.

ket.jpg That was one of many I owned, the original 90s one as well as this, the Pollypocket lightup house. I threatened my sisters if they broke any of mine or lost any of the pieces. Always preferred them to barbies <3PollyPockets

This one childhood 'toy' got me hooked on videogames in the first place, my very first gaming console (even tho I had the NES sitting right nxt to it), was able to run some of the first three-dimensional video games on consoles, beginning with Star Fox, was where I learned how to blow like my life depended on it and lastly...the games on it were just f***ing incredible.: 500.jpg

Cant always help but feel bad for those who werent there to play on this system when it was first released. It is never the same playing videogames on an emulator decades later. My brother was nice enough to let me play his SNES n all his games: Super Metroid, Link to the Past, Donkey Kong Country2&3, James Bond Jr, Battletoads, Super Mario All Stars, Super Mario World, Super Mario World 2:Yoshi's Island, MK&II, Killer Instinct, Bubsy, Megaman X&2, Starfox, Zombies ate my Neighbours, SFIITurbo, Mario Paint, Pilotwings, Secret Of Mana, Clocktower etc. It’s my 2nd favourite console ever after the legendary PS1 but I wouldnt disagree with anyone who says its better of the two. I can understand either way. Throw this lil guy+my ugly see thru one-Tetris,Aliens, Link's Awakening,Super Mario Land,Kirby's Dreamland&2- in and u got my intro into the world of videogames in a nutshell.

I also had pogs lying around tho I wasnt a collector.I eventually let my brother have all of mine. I got a Furby for christmas I never wanted one they freaked me out so I gave it to my sister she then took out the batteries n shoved it into the closet. I had 2 of my tamagotchis confiscated so those things dont bring back fond childhood toy memories.

.........Just realised I was quite spoilt.. Thnx parentals xx

Spoony Bard
    Recurring Mini-Boss
    Blog Entries
    Pretty easy choice for me: LEGOs (or the more appropriate designation LEGO® toy bricks) allowed me to build all sorts of things. The sets came with directions but over time I began ignoring them and building whatever came to mind. Over time, sets would become a mixed, jumbled mess in this big container I had but I didn't mind. Why settle for a couple of LEGO racecars, some space theme LEGO and a pirate motif LEGO set when you can combine them into a much cooler invention?

I don't even remember what it was. It was back in pieces and reshaped into some other crazy invention within a week. That's what I liked about LEGO.
    Hero façade. Villain at heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Crescent View Post
    I remember rocking up to (primary) school with a different pair on each day thinkin I was a damn supermodel Funnily enough I ended up modelling throughout high school.
    If your pictures in the Clothes thread are anything to go by, I would highly recommend that you take up modelling again. Just my 2 cents

On topic, KNEX. I used to build skyscrapers out of them and one time i made a crossbow from them. I pretty much loved any advanced building toy and i still do!

Quote Originally Posted by ezio69 View Post
    If your pictures in the Clothes thread are anything to go by, I would highly recommend that you take up modelling again. Just my 2 cents
    Haha thanks ezio I still model part-time just not as much as I used to. Promo modelling at car shows and fashion events mostly. Sometimes glamour shots for a couple of my make-up artist friends so that they can build their portfolios.

Not sure if this can be labelled as a toy per se but my friends n I made so many of these during class and lunchtime. I think the school eventually banned them but we still made em anyway: 8601.jpg

Sicc in the head & n0t sober. Childhood Toys noxious.sunshine's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Barbies. I was obsessed. I had tons of them...

When my very 1st best friend lived across the street from me, we would get into playing with them and eventually argue over a point in the storyline.. It'd turn into a shouting match and we'd yell things like "I hope your dog gets hit by a car!" & "I hope your brother dies!".. An hour later, we'd be BFFs again.

Also, there's the doll house my dad built me, but I only played with it for a year.. I still have it along with the teddy bear he bought me when I was 2 and in the hospital.

Consistently Average Childhood Toys Kurt Zisa's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Did anyone ever have those plastic kitchen sets when they were little, with the stove-top and everything? My cousins had one like this one and it came with plastic fruit and fish and stuff. I used to love making pretend meals with it when I was at thier house. I read a blog recently that said those kinds of playsets were sexist and created gender stereotypes towards girls, but everyone I knew as a kid, both boys and girls, loved to play with these things.

I used to play with my sisters Barbies too, but I'd make them Dr. X's hostages and my Action Men(G.I Joe in the US) would have to come save them.
    Currently Playing:
    Pillars of Eternity (PC)

I play Magic! See what decks im playing or building here!

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Childhood Toys Xanatos's Avatar
    I was fortunate enough to have many toys as a kid, though only one ever peaked my interest, my blue beetle. Used to play with it all the time, wish I still had it.

Fairly similar to this one, though bit more simplistic, you could not open the doors or anything like that.

I was also really fond of my TMNT Rafaelo plushy.

It's even the exact same model.

Recall having Spiderman with his Spidey bike, not sure why Spiderman would need a bike, but it was still an awesome toy.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Sicc in the head & n0t sober. Childhood Toys noxious.sunshine's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I forgot... After my sister went to college, when I was in 1st grade, I got rly depressed and all of my barbies got discombobulated and their hair chopped off. Yep.

I invented Go-Gurt. Childhood Toys Clint's Avatar
    As a child, I played with a combination of rocks and spoons. Unfortunately, back in the 1930's and 1940's, rocks and spoons were a delicacy, and were rather difficult to come by, so I only had one of each. I played with them so much that they eventually fused together. I called my rock/spoon hybrid a spock.

Coincidentally, I met Gene Roddenberry around the early 1960's, and I showed him my spock. It is to my belief that I gave him the inspiration for Star Trek, so any Star Trek fans out there, you have me to thank.

Stems of genius right from childhood lol.