Thread: Tristram / Diablo

Spoony Bard
    Recurring Mini-Boss
    Blog Entries

Tristram / Diablo

Music has a strange way of transporting one through time.

With an opening sentence like that, you might think I'm about to talk about Chrono Trigger. Well, I'm not. I am here to talk about the first computer-mouse-abusing game that captured my attention: Diablo. Hearing Tristram's acoustic beauty on Fabio Lima's guitar really helps open up that mental town portal again.

Developed by Blizzard in the late 90s, Diablo takes place in a land that is overrun with demons from Hell. It's your job as the hero---a warrior, mage or rogue---to descend into the very depths of Hell itself to vanquish Diablo, the Lord of Terror. My fondest childhood memories involve playing this game with my best friend and a family member. We used to stay up until 3 o'clock in the morning dungeon crawling for loot.

The game's soundtrack was masterfully written by Matt Uelmen, and its hauntingly beautiful tunes like Tristram really stand out. Some of them, like the early stages of the old church crypts, can really get the heart racing with the dominant percussion, eerie synth choir and shrieks in the dark. It's a small-but-great soundtrack.

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

Artist: Fabio Lima
    Originally composed by: Matt Uelmen
    Game first featured in: Diablo
    Area of game encountered: Tristram (town area)

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    Last edited by Incognitus; 07-14-2015 at 06:17 PM.
    Hero façade. Villain at heart.