Thread: Ska or punk recs?

Ska or punk recs?

Hey, anyone have any fun ska or punk band recommendations? I've got lots of folk, country, rock, and indie pop, but I've recently taken a liking to what I think is the ska sound. All I know now is Reel Big Fish, Goldfinger, and sort of Rancid (do they even count? Someone told me to give them a listen and I like them, but I don't know if it counts as ska). If you could explain to me what quality would characterize a band/song as ska, that'd be nice too (other than what wiki tells me is a "walking bass line" one the "upbeat" -- no idea what that means because technical musical terms are alien to me).

Blog Entries
    No. Not at ALL. Ska music is STUPID, and Punk music is written by untalented assholes who just use the same four strings over and OVER again

...this could be a long post. I may need a beer for this one. I'mma try to go with more recent stuffs than older stuffs so that new bands get a chance.

This isn't just a ska band. This song turns into slow ska at about the 2 minute mark. I think they're like a super band or something, although I don't remember who all is in this (or if I know any of them.) They're really cool, I recommend their EP.

A fun ska band. I don't know if they have anything else.

Here's some band from Switzerland. This isn't my favorite of theirs, but it's cool. Also, here's Brunt of It. Don't know much about them either, but they're fun. You should REALLY check out Suburban Legends if you like Reel Big Fish though. Also, the Insyderz have recently made a come back apparently. And this year some time, Five Iron Frenzy should have their new album out too! Also, I would recommend checking out Skankin' Pickle, Bruce Lee Band, The Chinkees, Less Than Jake, Streetlight Manifesto, The Blue Meanies, Buck O Nine, Thumper, The Suicide Machines, Slapstick, I guess Fucki (which is a new band I think) Madness, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Mustard Plug... Telegraph (heh) Uh... I'm runnin' out of steam here. There are a LOT. Here's an awesome cover of Paranoid by a band called Dooms UK that I could never find anything else by... I saw their album once for 25 bucks though. lolol.

...This took too long. Maybe I'll come back and cover punk later. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

Soup Kitchen Jerk. Ska or punk recs? Polk's Avatar
    When people refer to upbeats, the common way to count out a group of eighth notes in a four count is to go "one and two and three and four and." Where most metal and punk songs tend to emphasize the down beat (one two three four), ska emphasizes the upbeat (and and and and.) I hope that makes sense.

A walking bass line refers to a bass line that plays at an even pace (think of yourself as walking, you generally walk at an even pace), and outlines the chord progression of a song.

Also, Tele did a good job of outlining some good ska bands, but I'll list a couple of my favorites here, too.

The Aquabats- A ska/pop punk band formed in the early 90's in Southern California. They use the gimmick of being a group of superheroes, and during live shows, will even fight bad guys on stage. Super fun, family friendly, and they put on one of the best live shows you'll see. Over time, they've gone from ska to pop punk, but they're still pretty great. My favorite band of all time.

Big D and the Kids Table

Fishbone

The Forces of Evil- Super group headed up by RBF lead singer Aaron Barrett. "Friend or Foe?" is a really good album if you can find it and you don't mind lots of cussing.

Oingo Boingo- Not really a ska band, but a lot of ska bands take influence from them. I think Tele turned me onto these guys back in the day, and they're one of my favorites.

Operation Ivy- Late 80's band that mix ska and hardcore punk. SUPER influential to both scenes.

I'm not too well versed in punk/hardcore, but I have a friend who is really into that scene, maybe I'll ask her for some recommendations or something.
    Let's go into the "archives" in "Washington D.C." and find out how people "masturbated" in the "roaring 20's."

Crao Porr Cock8. Bitch.

Blog Entries
    Okay, back to post some punk:

This is Authority Zero, and what you would call "Skate Punk" I suppose. Or Pop Punk. They also do some Reggae bs.

Some modern day hardcore punk for ya. I love how short their songs are. Some of the titles are longer than their songs.

Here's He Who Cannot Be Named of Dwarves. This is his solo project. I think, anyway. Also, Broadway Calls is awesome, because they're from Oregon :3 They remind me a lot of The Ataris. Then there's the classics like Swingin' Utters, Descendents, ALL, Minor Threat, T.S.O.L., Dead Kennedys, Parasites, Sicko, The Vandals, etc, etc. I mean, a lot of these bands aren't REAL punk, but oh well I say. **** real punks, they're kinda assholes and like to brag about how violent their shows were and how no kid from today could last in one of their mosh pits. I say good for you, cavemen! Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom