Thread: Cover/Remix > Original

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Cover/Remix > Original Xanatos's Avatar

Cover/Remix > Original

Can't remember where exactly, Facebook I think, though the other day I stumbled upon a familiar song, by name only that is. It turned out to be a cover song, way better than original which I honestly can't stand, the entire genre for that matter. Amazing how different approach can change quality of the same song, for better or worse, which made think what are some other cover songs better than their source. Including the one I heard the other day only four came to my mind...

Teška Industrija - U meni Jesen Je (Halid Bešlić)

The very song that inspired me to make this thread, while I do respect the original artist as he's some sort of local icon, I can't stand the very genre of music he's into, our version of country music. On the other hand, pop/rock approach of band called Teška Industrija was full hit.

Gary Jules - Mad World (Tears For Fears)

Soundtrack for Donnie Darko, Gary Jules's version of Mad World is much more serious, darker, in other words better than original which sounds somewhat acoustic.

Katherine Jenkins - Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen)

Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah is the one most people go with, I on the other hand prefer the one preformed by Katherine Jenkins, artist with beautiful opera like voice.

No Doubt - It's My Life (Talk Talk)

Slight difference really, still, Gwen Stefani pulls it off better.

I would also like to mention Katherine Jenkins once more, this time her version of Bring me to Life, not great as original, though still good.

As for discussion, in your opinion which cover songs/remixes are better than their original source?

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Sparkly Beanie Baby of Doom! Cover/Remix > Original Tallulah's Avatar

Re: Cover/Remix > Original

There's quite a few, but off the top of my head the G.U.N version of Word Up is far superior to the Cameo version.

I might add more if I think of any.

EDIT: The Clash version of 'I Fought The Law' is much better than the original by Bobby Fuller Which is terrible.
    Last edited by Tallulah; 05-17-2011 at 12:06 PM.
    "...For the stronger we our houses do build,
    The less chance we have of being killed." ~ William Topaz McGonagall (1830-1902)