Thread: Your Best and Worst Movie/s of 2013

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Your Best and Worst Movie/s of 2013 Xanatos's Avatar

Your Best and Worst Movie/s of 2013

The title is self-explanatory

Best

Rush - by far the most pleasant surprise this year. You don't need to be a F1 fan to enjoy this movie. It's a well written sport rivalry, and God knows we need more of these. Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Brühl were simply superb, so much so both make you hate and care for them at one point. You can actually feel the rivalry between these two. Sound, the quality of it to be more precise, is another thing I love about this movie, the sound of formula engines can create such adrenaline rush.

Star Trek Into Darkness - Benedict Cumberbatch single handedly made this movie beyond awesome. His voice is out of this world. Love his take on one of the most beloved characters in Star Trek universe, there are people of course who don't like it, then again there are people who don't like Heath Ledger's Joker, I call these people "stubborn ****s blinded by nostalgia". The rest of the cast did a fine job as well. Some scenes were familiar for obvious reasons but still great nevertheless. Impressive CGI and tons of fan service. Even though some trekkies refuse to admit Into Darkness is a great movie and a damn fine throwback to one of the best if not the best Star Trek movie out there.

Highly Enjoyable

Pacific Rim - giant robots fighting giant monsters, what's not to love. Pretty much every kids dream come true. Kaiju's were rather well designed, some impressive CGI, and a rather funny after credit scene I only found out about long after I left the cinema. Also, GLADOS!

Thor: The Dark World - thoroughly enjoyable and fun movie. Unlike Ironman 3 it was serious when it needed to be serious and funny when it needed to be funny. Wish there was more to Malakith though, but Loki made up for it. The after credits scene was great as well.

Mixed Feelings

Man of Steel - a reboot that did a lot of things right, sadly, there are a lot of things I didn't like. For instance, all emotional scenes kinda fell flat, Zod failed to make me care for his plight, Lois Lane in general was kinda meh, lack of any humor whatsoever. On the other hand I loved the sci fi theme, Clarks growth was for the most part well done, as was CGI and action scenes, and Russell Crowe was a pretty great Jor El. Almost forgot, Faora was rather fetching, love her accent. Overall Man of Stell has potential, they just need to address some issues though.

Disappointing

Iron Man 3 - don't get me wrong, it's not a bad movie, far from it, it's just not what I, and many other I believe, were expecting. On one hand I appreciate the twist, it reflects real world propaganda and misinformation, and in that regard is a rather well done twist, on the other hand I was kinda hoping for a full blown battle between Iron Man and actual Mandarin. My biggest issue though, this entire movie is suffocated by its own humor.

Worst

surprisingly, none, none I can think of at least. Pretty much all movies I saw this year were solid at least.

Would love to see "12 Years a Slave", heard nothing but great things about this movie, just looking at its cast alone makes me want to see it.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Blog Entries
    Best

The World's End, final episode in the Edgar Wright Trilogy. Felt just like watching Sean of the Dead or Hot Fuzz again, and also had definite elements of Scott Pilgrim in it in the fight scenes. I went in totally blind, so I did not know about the robots taking over the town. When that happened, I was totally caught off guard and didn't know where the movie was gonna go with that. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost kinda reversed rolls for this one (although Pegg is still the lead.) They're still as funny as ever though. Dragged Dodie to see this with me. She was glad that there were robots and it wasn't just about drinking beer the whole time, haha.

Star Trek: Into Darkness I also felt was a great movie. Probably the best action movie of the year. I think it was this movie that finally inspired me to watch Sherlock; I had already seen Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit: AUJ last year, and that had sparked my interest. Then I saw Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan, and that tipped me over. I thought he was great as Khan; played him like a total badass. An eloquent badass no less. I also already liked the rest of the cast from the last Star Trek movie, and they were great in their respective rolls again. Looking forward to seeing Chris Pine star in the new Jack Ryan movie.

The Conjuring was the best horror film I've seen in years, mostly because it felt highly nostalgic to me, as if I were watching Poltergeist or something. I cared about the characters and what happened to them, and thus got some genuine frights at times. It also inspired me to sleep under my covers so as not to get my leg pulled by a demon witch at night, haha.

I don't really feel like going into a lot of detail about every movie I saw this year, so I'll just say that Anchor Man 2, Thor 2, Bullet to the Head and Side Effects were at the higher end of the spectrum for me, Pacific Rim, The Last Stand, The Wolverine, and The Incredible Burt Wonderstone were middling ventures, A Good Day to Die Hard, and The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug were disappointing, and Hansel and Gretel and Identity Thief were entirely forgettable. I also saw bits of Elysium, and while it seemed pretty good, I was kinda asleep for half of it, so...

For me, my least favorite movie going experience this year was probably A Good Day to Die Hard. It was just all action and not enough exposition. John McClane is no longer an every man at all; he's like one of those indestructible members of the Expendables. This really felt like a solo movie for one of those characters, and the only reason those movies are worth watching is to see all the action stars. I took Dodie to this one too... lol.

Most disappointing award goes to The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug. Gah. I already talked about it elsewhere, but I will say that it felt more like they were following a loose outline of the book than the book itself. There was way too much action, and way too much focus on side characters/made up characters for the movie. There was hardly ever any focus on Bilbo-he almost felt like a side character, in fact. I did love his initial confrontation with Smaug, but then...
    SPOILER!!:
    it just turned into another drawn out action scene!
    I swear I was ready to leave when there was like 30 or 40 minutes left of the film. I mean, I kinda knew this was gonna happen, so I'm not really sure I can say it was "disappointing." AUJ was more disappointing, but I still enjoyed it much better. This was like The Hobbit: The Filler Movie.

I invented Go-Gurt. Your Best and Worst Movie/s of 2013 Clint's Avatar
    Best

Star Trek: Into Darkness was really good. I liked the reboot in 2009, although it didn't really have that Star Trek feel to it. Despite that it didn't feel too much like a Star Trek movie, I actually liked it better than the other ten movies in the franchise. Star Trek: Into Darkness was a throwback to Star Trek II, which appeased the Trekkie in me, and it still had the same vibe as the 2009 reboot. It also did something that I appreciate in any series; the sequel was better than the original. Not many franchises get that one right. I've also heard a lot of people praising Benedict Cumberbatch, and although he was very good in the film, he wasn't even the most intimidating villain. I got to hand it to Robocop. Peter Weller is a severely underrated actor, as he's always been, but even at 66, he's still ****ing badass.

Thor: The Dark World was very good. I not only thought it was better than the first Thor, I thought it was better than The Avengers.

And I'm going to add The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug to this list. I know a lot of people hate The Hobbit movies. I don't know why. I thought the first one was fantastic, and I thought the second one was just as good. People need to stop criticizing things that don't deserve to be criticized.

Worst

Man of Steel. David Goyer writes three great Batman movies, but ****s up on Superman? Superman is not complex, nor is writing a logical movie. Logical movies have character development and use common sense while writing action sequences. I really liked the character development in this movie, but there wasn't that much of it. And then the action sequences didn't take into account how many innocent bystanders were killed during the fight between Superman and Zod. Seriously, they destroyed at least twenty blocks... In broad daylight... During a work day... In a metropolis. Without enough time for proper and safe evacuation. I thought Superman was supposed to protect people, not kill them during their work shifts.

Also, **** Lois Lane. She is a horrible character.

Chief Inspiring Officer Your Best and Worst Movie/s of 2013 Cyanist's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gangster Squad: I thought it would be... more gangsterly. It's an ok movie, MOST of the romantic dialog between Gosling and Stone are positively cheesy, but how much great dialog can one expect from a period piece set in the 1940s? I honestly expected more violence.

Broken City ANOTHER film the media ran crazy with that frankly disappointed me. Again, it's ok, but nothing particularly exciting. *sigh*

Hansel & Gretel Wonderful. A really fresh, fast-paced and imaginative revamp of a beloved children's bed-time story directed toward teens and adults. LOVED the costumes! Where can I get those boots?

Identity Thief Only slightly funny, but I liked that it had a good ending and it was educational, too. Won't be giving out MY info over the phone, no sir!

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone A few laughs, most of them from Jim Carey's appearances, not entirely enjoyable, but I'd still watch it.

The Place Beyond The Pines Okay, seriously? Is Gosling trying to tick me off or something? Another film he's not entirely the main character in, even though the media will push ONLY the scene with him and Eva Mendes(though it was a poignant one). After about halfway through, the film suddenly switches perspectives after
    SPOILER!!:
    Gosling's characters' untimely death, which sucked,
    and now onto a brand NEW guy, a completely unmentioned police officer. I don't know if the film was trying to convey some sort of lesson about life's unpredictability and maybe the possible consequences if you happen to get the idea to
    SPOILER!!:
    rob some banks like Goslings' character
    or something, but it was "what?". Why do I even need to know about his
    SPOILER!!:
    son on drugs who ultimately gains the chance to cast vengeance on the man who killed his father but decides to mug him and leave him in the middle of nowhere and buy a motorcycle instead?
    Just confusing.

Scary Movie 5 Ah, it was funny. I especially liked the 'Black Swan' skit with the Cheerio . Some of the jokes were kinda crude, but I was expecting that.
    ~I'm sorry I haven't been around very much~

The votes are in for the sketch contest. See who won the epic battle here:
    http://thefinalfantasy.net/forum...12-voting.html

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Your Best and Worst Movie/s of 2013 Xanatos's Avatar
    I saw Gravity the other day, it was definitely one of the better movies released in 2013. A visual beauty, one of the prettiest movies I ever saw. The soundtrack was simply spectacular. Both aspects are oscar worthy in my opinion. Everything else was somewhat inferior, but still good. I genuinely felt sorry for George Clooney's character.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Boxer of the Galaxy Your Best and Worst Movie/s of 2013 Rowan's Avatar
    best= The hobbit; desolation of smaug. I love fantasy and adventure and this was awesome.

worst = The internship. First time I watched it, I turned it off after 30 minutes because it was just lame. Then I figured id give it another shot. 20 minutes after being employed by google, I turned off this POS suedo advertisement. I wanted to punch every single person in that movie.

Her and Nebraska.