Thread: Space Dandy

Blog Entries

Space Dandy

Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop) is coming out with a new anime on the 4th of January. It will air in America before Japan, 1130 Eastern Time on A-Dult Swim. (I had the 14th in my head for some reason. Maybe I misread.) Check out a 10 minute preview.

There were already a lot of people cynical about this because of some pervy humor, but it looks to me like it shouldn't be THAT pervasive. Seeing as it's the guy who did Cowboy Bebop, I have no reason to believe it won't be awesome (except that I was lukewarm to Samurai Shamploo, so...) Also judging from that 10 minute preview, even though I could not understand what they were saying, it looks like it will be rather imaginative with the alien, space ship, and world designs. Also also I chuckled a few times at what was going on, even with it being in Japanese and no subtitles, so...
    Last edited by Taco-Calamitous; 12-28-2013 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Making sure I have a working link in there.

The Quiet One Space Dandy Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, it looks like it is playing up on the pulp literature of retro sci-fi that was iconic of the 50s television with things like Flash Gordon. Which when you look at that time period, especially the artwork of the literature even back into the like the 30s and 40s, book covers for those sci-fi and fantasy stuff were very sexualized in ways that we'd never see today. So it sort of feels like they're playing with that era. Admittedly, when I saw a preview for it a few months back I was a little uneasy about what I saw. But the more retro sci-fi I've been seeing from it really has me a little more encouraged by it. The man knows what he is doing though with his jazz-filled mob noire in space and his pop rap samurai period piece. He likes mixing a few genres together to make something really unique.

I trust him.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

Blog Entries
    So... that first episode was rather unfocused and strange, haha. Highly stylized too. I chuckled a few times, but once they got to that planet with all the giant aliens that were fighting each other, I was just like "...what the hell is going on?" I dunno, I still liked it. Might've liked it better if I didn't have a headache. I dunno if I'll be able to watch next week's episode though

The Quiet One Space Dandy Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah it was definitely different from what I know from the guy. The fourth wall got broke pretty solidly though. It was pretty entertaining to watch. It's going to be interesting to see how this goes. Sort of has a Excel Saga feel going on with the ending.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

Blog Entries
    ...well, there was no explanation for how they got out of their predicament from the end of the last episode. It seems to continue from there, however. This definitely seems like that tone of silliness is going to continue throughout the entire series. It's fun, but I don't know if I really care what happens to the characters, heh. I don't really have much of a sense of who they are or what they're doing beyond the surface, and there's been no backstory or anything. It's kinda disappointing, but then again, I guess there's a whole series left to go...

Registered User Space Dandy Pikachu's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I really don't like this show. Apart from how it looks, I feel everything about it is pretty poor. The comedy is pretty weak, and I didn't find anything amusing. I ended up dropping it after three episodes since it never caught my attention.