Thread: Sopranos Ending (obvious spoilers)

Boxer of the Galaxy Sopranos Ending (obvious spoilers) Rowan's Avatar

Sopranos Ending (obvious spoilers)

I would really like to hear a detailed psychological interpretation of the ending. Everything about it seemed to reek of subtle messages. From the moment he was flipping through songs in that dinner deciding which song to play, each of the titles seemed to reflect moments in his life and general themes of the show. When he selected "Don't stop believing" by Journey, I knew something was about to go down. Almost all the people in the diner had something to do with Tony throughout the series, most notably having had beef with him. An unkown walks into the bathroom, looking at tony as he walks by , but not enough to sugguest there is any kind of reason for it.

A scene that struck me obvious yet eluded me was the constant failure to park the car by his daughter meadow. It took 3 tries, if that means anything. As soon as the car is parked, she rushes into the diner and looks at her father, tony looks at her and then the show and the song ends upbruplty on "dont stop" part of the journey song.

The screen is black for about 5 seconds and the credits begin to roll, although there is no music at all which sugguests silence. Earlier in the series tony is asked what he thinks death is like. He responds that he thinks it would be black and silent, which reflects the ending of the show.

After reading the credits, we find out who the man who walks into the bathroom is more than likely a relative of phil leotardo who ordered the death of tony soprano earlier, we know this because this random character shares the same last name 'leotardo'.

I guess the ending is left upto interpretation, but theres more than enough evidence to sugguest that Tony was killed in that diner.

Bananarama Sopranos Ending (obvious spoilers) Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Sopranos Ending (obvious spoilers)

I happen to disagree. I think that the tension was what Tony was going to experience for the rest of his life (not that it would end that night). Kind of like a view of the world from his eyes. You didn't know what would happen. Everyone, anyone could be an enemy; maybe another gang member, maybe a fed coming to arrest him. That shady guy in the Members Only jacket, for instance.

If you think about it, by the end of the series Tony was really without any real support systems. Most of the main players in his crew were either dead or incapacitated, leaving him very vulnerable and without his closest and most trusted friends.

The fact that Meadow couldn't park isn't really a shock. I know lots of people who never have to parallel park, because they have driveways, so when they try to, they take forever. It does make for some great tension though.

To be fair though, I'm looking at this without encompassing things such as titles of other episodes and things that appear in the credits. I feel like those don't really have so much to do with the actual happenings on screen, and therefore don't have as much play in the grand scheme of things. I can flesh it out later though, if you want.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers