Thread: Angel's Egg

Angel's Egg

"Angel's Egg is a Japanese anime feature film produced by Tokuma Shoten in 1985. A collaboration between popular artist Yoshitaka Amano [Final Fantasy, Vampire Hunter D, Gatchaman, etc] and director Mamoru Oshii [Ghost in the Shell (1995), Patlabor: The Movie, Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer]..." - Wikipedia entry on the movie with some parts added by me.

The story is about a little girl who lives in a surrealistic world filled with shadows. She is protecting a mysterious egg in the movie. One day, a man who wields a giant cross-like weapon appears in a gothic-styled town and meets with the girl.

Angel's Egg is a film in which has little to no dialogue, although the two characters do eventually speak in one scene.

It is also a film in which characters, places, events, etc are left to be interpreted by the viewer. As a result, it makes it easier for some to interpret the film while it may leave some confused.

More info: [Cick Me]

So yeah, what do you think; Have you seen or heard of it before? Was there anything you found interesting or something that you disliked?

(also, sorry if there are any grammatical/editing mistakes; I'm kind of tired at the moment)

Re: Angel's Egg

Never heard of this before, but actually, It looks interesting. Since I have nothing better to do for the rest of the night I'll stream it. I need something new to watch anyway.

The world seems extremely surreal and abstract, and that's usually what I like for some reason.

Ta DA!!!:

Alright, who censored my rocketship?

From The Clint Eastwood
    I'm thinking about creating a hybrid. A dolphin-monkey. Half dolphin, half monkey. Do you think it's possible?
    I was thinking that since I'm artificially creating it, I'll create it with rocket fuel instead of blood, and thus it will be able to fly, using the dolphin's dorsal fins as wings. And from the air, it will look down upon us all and protect us against sharks, and search for bananas.
    Block says:" this one time i got SUPER blazed and was riding with my friend to mcd's and i ran my fingers through my jew fro saying "I just feel like dancing"
    by Alpha: "Hate breeds hate. Love breeds love. F*ck real politik."
    Originally Posted by Michael Swayne
    I find Gypsy to be a very interesting person. In fact, when my hair grows out some more, Gypsy has already laid claim to it when I cut it again.

Lady Succubus Angel's Egg Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'll say right now that if you don't go into it with the frame of mind that everything you see is a visual metaphor... you won't enjoy it. It's also extremely slow paced.

...Not to mention that there's very very little dialogue. ...Since I can't stand these kinds of shows... I couldn't last 10 minutes.

Hope you last longer than me.

Haha, I've gotten a decent amount into it. It's kind of what I expected after reading the description on the Wikipedia page.

I really like the stuff that's extremely symbolic, so it's not that bad. It is pretty slow paced though, you aren't lying there.

Ta DA!!!:

From The Clint Eastwood
    I'm thinking about creating a hybrid. A dolphin-monkey. Half dolphin, half monkey. Do you think it's possible?
    I was thinking that since I'm artificially creating it, I'll create it with rocket fuel instead of blood, and thus it will be able to fly, using the dolphin's dorsal fins as wings. And from the air, it will look down upon us all and protect us against sharks, and search for bananas.
    Block says:" this one time i got SUPER blazed and was riding with my friend to mcd's and i ran my fingers through my jew fro saying "I just feel like dancing"
    I find Gypsy to be a very interesting person. In fact, when my hair grows out some more, Gypsy has already laid claim to it when I cut it again.

@Gypsy Elder

You actually streamed the movie? How many people were on there or was it just with a bunch of friends/aquantinces? I personally would have been glad to attend it at the time.

@Victoria

Indeed, you'll most likely enjoy it less if you try to comprihend what scene/characters/object is suppose to symbolize in the movie. When I watched the movie for the first time, I just simply watched it as it was and bother with "what symoblizes what" later. Even so, the film is very open and vague so you can pretty much assume all sorts of thins (as I've stated previously in my first post...I think).

I would be lying if I said the movie wasn't slow-paced. For me, I didn't had any problems with the pacing. Although there was one point during a scene where
    Spoiler:
    both the girl and the man were sleeping in some room, while the fire was slowly dying out

. I was about to fastforward that scene until something hapened in the film or I decided to let it run.

I actually just ended up Googleing it and watching on Megavideo.

And yeah that was one part where I was like ..."dude wtf!? did it freeze?"

I think there was one other part where I was tempted to fast forward, I think it was a part where they were staring at each other. It was overall relaxing to watch, and even though there wasn't much going on at a fast pace I was kept intrigued. 8.5/10

Ta DA!!!:

From The Clint Eastwood