Thread: Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the lions

Registered User Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the lions

Question Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the lions

I am really loving my PSP lately and a few weeks ago I was on Youtube and found a soundtrack listing for a game called Jeanne D'Arc for PSP. I always loved the story of her (I guess it helps to be Catholic, not sure) and I was amazed I had never heard of the game before. To make this story shorter, I found it brand new in UMD format for really cheap (under 6 dollars) on amazon and begged to use some of my money I have been saving to buy it.

Its the first Tactical RPG I have ever played and when I read the reviews someone said it isn't as complicated as the others (in a good way) and perfect for someone new to that type of game. I am having a lot of fun with it even though I don't play every single day.. school.

So I started looking at other Tactical RPGs. Tactics Ogre: Let us cling together looks really fun but I know its very complex and difficult. I think it's neat that it is a PS1 update like War of the Lions is for the Original FF Tactics.

My question being... should I buy War of the Lions when I can? Is tactics Ogre better? Should I spend maybe more money on the PS1 original? Is it even a good game? My best friend says its the best FF there is but, its her opinion and I always look for more than one =3

Thank you!

PS. Sorry if I should have put this in the FF games forum

The Old Skool Warrior Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the lions LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That is an incredibly difficult question.

On the one hand, Final Fantasy Tactics.
    On the other hand, Tactics Ogre.

You're literally talking about two of the greatest tactical RPGs in terms of story, music, and character depth OF ALL TIME. Asking me to choose between them is kin to asking me to choose between winning and winning. I'll go with winning every time.

You honestly couldn't go wrong with either choice, though I suppose I'd suggest picking up FFT: War of the Lions first, if only because it's a touch less complicated than Tactics Ogre. Both are very very very well worth your time and money.
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

Registered User Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the lions
    Oh dear.

I suppose I would check to see which one is more expensive. On the other hand, if war of the lions is slightly easier, even just a hair I suppose easing myself into tactical games would be the better choice. I'm really loving what I have played so far and I'm more than halfway through Jeanne D'Arc. Even this game gives me a hard time with a perfectly balanced difficulty. I have recently read about FF Tactics Advanced too. I don't use my GBA anymore but I use my DS for those games. Even though I honestly prefer the PSP over the DS (Yeah I'm the odd one out most of the time) I figured I would ask... what's your opinion on Tactics Advanced?

The Old Skool Warrior Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the lions LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the lions

Charming story, similar gameplay. Relatively simple - it's a good baby-step into the genre if you're concerned with difficulty.

» Sent via Tapatalk 2 on my Galaxy S2
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

It might not be great advice to give on this forum but I'd actually recommend that Fire Emblem Awakening is the best Tactical RPG to start with. It's incredibly accessible to new comers.
    After playing that, I'd move on to FF Tactics and Tactics Ogre!