Thread: how hard is ff 13 in terms of ff 10?

how hard is ff 13 in terms of ff 10?

Granted this is probably a dumb question considering how hardcore ff gamers usually are, but I'm just an average guy who plays these games for story (the only ff game I came close to beating without cheats was FF X- (got to the final boss but just couldn't do it )

Kinda sad cuz I'm 24 now and when i was like 10 all my friends were playing ff7 and 6 and pwning without cheats - they would walk around the world map like they owned the place (i was always too scared to take 3 steps without gameshark (dang random battles!) )

But anyways, how would you rate the difficulty in 13 compared to 10? is it harder/easier or about the same? Please be honest, no need to show off talent and be like "omg that game was cake" and then have me back here in a week raging about how hard it was

You all have my respect as FF gamers and you are all much better than me, so honestly - how hard would you say ff 13 is?

~ AUTO-MERGED POSTS ~

also does 13 have any tricky puzzles? i remember in ff12 with game shark i got to some sand temple thing where u gota hit pillars to make em rotate and even with online walkthroughs it was like wth??????
    hey

The Quiet One how hard is ff 13 in terms of ff 10? Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I remember FFX being harder than other FF games. Namely because of a couple of the bosses. I would say the FFXIII is probably one of the harder FF games. I know people have differing opinions and say it was too easy, but it is a harder game. It is still not Persona hard or anything, but by FF standards it is a challenging game. But it is also a tactical game, and buffing and debuffing in the game are actually very important, something that no FF in the past has required for the main game. However, it is also kinder to failure than other games. You get dropped back moments before the battle you lost, so you don't lose progress. Every battle you start out with full HP, so you don't have to worry about healing up after a hard fight.

The tricky puzzles are in FFXIII-2, they didn't include any in FFXIII.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

Learning wise.....FFXIII because 20+ hours of that game is technically a "Tutorial" and if you know what to do you can EASILY beat the fights and bosses if you know what Roles to use.

FFX for some bosses mainly because once you learn FFXIII it becomes fairly simple.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

First things first: Considering that there isn't really a game over in the game, and that you never need to heal your party after a fight, it is pretty easy to get through the game.
    Still, it gets frustrating to repeat a fight several times, so I recommend to level your characters once you get to Grand Pulse. I needed 30 hours to get there, so you see: The first 30 hours are pretty easy to beat. I didn't really level the parties at all, to be honest.
    Also, there won't be any boss battles (like the one on the airship in X) where you can't level up anymore.

As for world maps and such: The first part of the game is pretty linear, you just need to follow one way. In Grand Pulse, there will be more to discover, but still it's easy to find your way.

Don't worry about it though. If you need any help, you can always come to this forum and ask, there will be lots of people who're willing to help you.

9x-7i > 3(3x-7u)

thanks guys! been debating getting it so hard - but after learning these things it sounds beatable. Will probably order it tonight.

what did y'all think of the game story wise and graphic wise and stuff wise? did you fall in love with the characters? did you dream about the game at night?

the graphics look great!
    hey

Blog Entries
    You're going to find a range of opinions on the game, due to its polarizing nature on the fan base. The most often answer you'll find is that people didn't like the game for one of many different reasons. I found it enjoyable, though there is a lot of stuff in the background that they don't really bother explaining out in front to the player. You're expected to read all of the content in the game to understand the world, even though some of the content actually does end up lying you to because it is written by an unreliable author sometimes. It's complicated to say the least.

Boxer of the Galaxy how hard is ff 13 in terms of ff 10? Rowan's Avatar
    I found some boss battles so difficult that when I looked up strategy guides, it almost seemed like there was only 1 method to beat each boss, which I found to be somewhat restricting. The level up system is communist in the sense that it restricts you to where you are currently in the game and won't allow you to progress your characters any further. I bag it out but I did enjoy my first play through. I wouldn't ever play through it again. In terms of difficulty, I found it to be one of the hardest final fantasy games I've ever played. Ff6 was coming close until I learned vanish/doom... Yeah, I'm that asshole.

The Mad God how hard is ff 13 in terms of ff 10? Heartless Angel's Avatar
    It was a good concept, though the execution was somewhat flawed. Overall I liked it, even though I wasn't a big fan of the combat system. My primary complaint was only having direct control over one character. The fights take longer than most other FFs, but I wouldn't call them difficult.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    The level up system is communist in the sense that it restricts you to where you are currently in the game and won't allow you to progress your characters any further.
    The capped advancement meant that player's couldn't grind to solve their problems. Which I find to be a positive thing. Too many RPGs encourage if you can't win, go grind. Boss fights meant you had to think about how to win and stay on your toes.

FFXIII/XIII-2's combat is one of my favorite for the FF series, probably behind X and X-2.

Well I like to have the option to grind if I prefer to. I don't like being forced to play a certain way, just because its deemed more "skill" worthy. As you all know, I don't like having options taken away.

TFF's Resident Messenger how hard is ff 13 in terms of ff 10? Michael Swayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I am currently playing through Final Fantasy XIII for the second time. I like its story, but the battle system is not enjoyable for me. Like Rowan, I like the choice to grind and level up. Overall, it is ranked low on my list of Final Fantasy games in terms of fun. There isn't a mini-game to lower my frustration level (when things go sour, Chocobo Hot & Cold, Blitzball, and Tetra Master are perfect for making a happy Michael). There are sidequests that can act as a detour from the main story and give you some needed experience, but even that gets repetitive (in the fact that you fight some of the same monsters several times).

Yes, it can be difficult the first time through. Aren't a lot of games difficult the first time around? It is possible to complete the game without having to master all roles for every character. I was able to do it a couple years ago, without strategy guides, online help, etc. I just can't seem to do that now, for some reason (I am trying to 100% it).

Go ahead and get the game. If you don't like it, you could always sell it on eBay to someone who may or may not like it.
    Social Group Endorsements, TFF Awards, and Other Accomplishments (Updated December 26, 2013):

2011 TFF Member Elimination Game - 2nd Place

TFF Adoption Agency
    Hot Shot - August 31, 2011 to November 18, 2011
    Draug Isilme - December 29, 2011 to February 27, 2012
    lovehearty42 - August 9, 2012 to November 4, 2012
    beatrix - September 4, 2012 to November 4, 2012

Communist Theocratic Commonwealth of the Illustrious and Eternal Al-ha Empire and Crown Dependencies

Blog Entries
    I'll agree I'm not fond of having options removed, but forcing the player to grind to complete a task has been a nasty habit of RPGs. I tend not to view grinding as a player choice, but a designer's failure.

It's how most of the old school ones were made and it wasn't just level grinding, it was skill grinding, grinding for money for better equipment, purchasing better spells, doing monster hunt sidequests could be considered grinding, but nevertheless and awesome and fun way to grind to get items and exp. ff13 definitely took me out of my comfort zone and forced me to think a lot more about battling. It's not that I didn't like it, i just found it to be frustrating at times.

Blog Entries
    It is true that old school RPGs function that way, even current ones do at times. Any sort of time between one event and the next is easily called grinding, but there is an amount that is going to be safe to have and an amount that is not. Though I don't really think side quests are grinding, unless you have to grind to complete the side quest. Everything else mentioned definitely is.

Grinding replicates the reality of training and getting new skills. Even if it is repetitive, it's an essential part of rpg's that make the player feel like he's living the routine life of building up his skill, through alot of patience and practice.

#LOCKE4GOD how hard is ff 13 in terms of ff 10? Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin1199 View Post
    Grinding replicates the reality of training and getting new skills. Even if it is repetitive, it's an essential part of rpg's that make the player feel like he's living the routine life of building up his skill, through alot of patience and practice.
    Because nothing represents patience and the practice of difficult activities in life for the betterment of oneself like running in a circle repeatedly killing rabbits.

Bananarama how hard is ff 13 in terms of ff 10? Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well if you kill millions of rabbits, you'll be able to kill fricken Bahamut, duh.

I was very on and off with FFXIII. It had its moments where it was fun, but like Rowan said, some of the battles were bullshit due to the sole fact that there was really only one way to beat certain bosses, and if you didn't know the way they wanted you to go about attacking, you'd be in for a very long day. I also didn't like the idea of having your magic and skills limited by some imaginary cap that's been defined by whatever level you're currently on.

I also hated how the game was so linear up until the very end, but I liked how each characters story was told and it was kind of like FF6 with one main character, with the other characters playing key roles and being fleshed out.

It wasn't the best game ever, not by a long shot, but it's not the worst.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

I tell this to everybody who plays FFXIII for the first time. Read every DATALOG READ READ READ.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games