Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else hate Fang and Hope?

Anybody else hate Fang and Hope?

I absolutely hate these characters. As for Fangs personality shes kinda bitchy, overconfident and a show off. Hope I've actually heard of other people not liking that whiny baby.

Mainly though I hate her for not really being a present part of the story for over 50% of the game then just comes in and has some of the best stats. This leaves every strategy guide and video of the game to have Fang in it. I refuse to use her, I like characters for personality and depth so she just rots off on the side of my character screen.

Along the same lines I also hate Hope, hes the winiest kid I have ever seen. I wanted to smack him through the screen a countless number of times, especially when hes like "Snow killed my mom..." HE DID NOTHING CLOSE TO THAT YOU MORON!!! Then he's just like "ok, Snow's cool" after 1 or 2 scenes, then is useless to the story. Yet his stats and classes are "sooooo good" that every strategy guide and video has him at the forefront.

So are there actually people out there who hate Fang and Hope like I do?
    Playstaion ID: Setzer_All-in

- "Phoenix Downs are your friends. But remember Cloud they don't always work. I'm looking at yooou Aeris"

-"Immortal maybe... but not invincible!" -Prince (of Persia)

The Quiet One Anybody else hate Fang and Hope? Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Anybody else hate Fang and Hope?

Hope's a kid and losing a parent in front of you it going to make you pretty emotional. He was just looking for someone to blame regardless of how much sense it made to blame Snow for it. Snow was the cause for his mother dying though. Snow didn't kill her, Sanctum did that, but Snow was looking for people willing to fight. And she agreed, but Hope wasn't going to be able to understand that at the beginning. Considering how much of a problem he had with his father I'm pretty sure his mother was the closest one that he was to. So losing her had to be a pretty big shock.

And it actually took until halfway through Palom Porom for Hope to actually forgive Snow enough not want to stab him in the back with Lightning's knife. Hope did actually blast him off a ledge and down a long fall, though Hope ended up regretting it pretty quickly. And that was in like Chapter 7 or 8, which is only half of the game. So it took Hope a lot more than just a few scenes to get over his mother's death and holding Snow responsible for it.

I'm surprised you didn't like Lightning since most people seemed to have issues with her for some the same reasons you're stating for Fang. Fang is probably the simplest of the characters in the game. But most of her story and background doesn't get really pulled out to the front until you get to Pulse and the final boss fight. She is actually carrying a lot of guilt, though Vanille carries far more than Fang does. But Fang still carries her share. However, Fang lacks her memories, so she doesn't a lot to go on for a while expect for her personality. A point that I don't think is expressed immediately, but it ends up explaining why she is acting like that.

But I think if a writer and actor manage to draw emotions from the audience whether hatred or love then they've done their job. Because they've caused you become drawn in enough that you don't have some ambivalence towards. They've taken you from not caring to becoming emotionally involved by their personalities and actions, because hate is an emotion and doesn't have to be view as a negative towards whether something was successful. Hating a character can be just as good as loving one. It's made it's impact on you.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

#LOCKE4GOD Anybody else hate Fang and Hope? Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm just going to focus on Hope. I think you have underestimated his character.

The first half of the game is effectively propelled by the misunderstanding surrounding Nora's death. Hope is young and feels he needs to blame something, anything. This target becomes Snow, and he is overcome with feelings of revenge. I think this is a convincing reaction, given his age, and the circumstance.

His personality contrasts with Lightning so much, and this becomes 'problematic' (in a good sense) when Lightning takes him under her wing. Lightning, in a similar position, would probably be inclined to forget, or show no emotion. Hope cannot be expected to do the same. When forced to interact, there is a mutual misunderstanding between the characters. When Lightning thinks she is granting Hope self-confidence (the knife motif), to overcome his grief, she is really feeding his rage, and his ability to act on it. Thus, you cannot understand Hope separate from Lightning. Given Lightning's boring and one-dimensional nature, Hope's character actually saves Lightning's.

When Hope finally reaches the moment he has been building up to, the image he created of Snow -- uncaring, cocky, self-interested -- is broken down by a dramatic display of selflessness. Snow risks his life to save Hope's, which is something Hope would not have performed in kind. He realises that the man he despised is not only a fallacy, but a better man than Hope is becoming. He loses his resolve, and forgives Snow.

Granted, after this, Hope has seemingly become a little child, thrust into a big world, once again. He doesn't seemed to have gained a whole lot. But I'm only up to the Archelytte Step (or however that is spelt -- the place that looks like the Calm Lands). I'm hoping they'll take his character a little further.

But I still maintain that the culmination between Hope and Snow was a high point, and restored my faith in Final Fantasy to tell stories. (It was then quickly beaten by Sazh pulling a mind game, if you know what I mean.)

While I guess i can give some leeway to Hope for being a dumb kid too attached to his mother, i still feel like they focused far to much on his overreaction against Snow. There was a perfectly good evil organization to hate that was already about to purge him but while everyone else worries about that he just gets angrier at Snow and just pouts about it.

It's not like he was 5 or anything he was 14 for Christs sake, get a clue and man up....

Speaking of the characters as a whole in this game none of them were super impressive cept when Sazh surprised me at that amusement park place, that's when the characters sparked an interest into completing the long game.

Someone pointed out that bringing the emotion of hate/dislike in me against Hope and Fang made them somewhat good at being characters but I highly doubt they had any intention of me actually hating those over-powered awfully boring/stupid characters

- "Phoenix Downs are your friends. But remember Cloud they don't always work. I'm looking at yooou Aeris"

Death Before Dishonor Anybody else hate Fang and Hope? Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't say that I hate either of them, but Hope and Fang certainly are nowhere near my favorite character in the game.

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh_R View Post
    I wouldn't say that I hate either of them, but Hope and Fang certainly are nowhere near my favorite character in the game.
    That's probably the first time I've heard that opinion. Thanks, good to know some people arn't a slave to stats and can't see some of thier un-fun and awful character flaws.

I don't mean to impose my opinion on you though, as long as they wern't your favorite that's good enough for me

The Quiet One Anybody else hate Fang and Hope? Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't believe that any of us were talking about stats when speaking about Hope or Fang. We were talking about their characters. You've been the only one talking about their stats.

And I'd imagine that anyone that losing a parent isn't going to be thinking straight as we have already said before. Just because there is an organization to hate, doesn't mean that they'll hate it. Hating an individual is a lot easier and simpler than an organization. And Snow had a direct hand in Nora's death, though he didn't do it himself. So that's pretty easy to blame. Plus despite the player considering Sanctum and the government of Cocoon being seen as clearly evil and unfeeling about purging/killing its own citizens. The citizens have been born to believe everything that they are feed.

Even though Hope looks completely harmless they were still afraid of him and wanted him dead because he was a l'Cie. And until being branded and going through the ordeal Hope was just an indoctrinated as everyone else. So he's not going to initially view them as being totally evil. He'll certainly disagree with what they are doing because he's involved in the purge, but if he wasn't involved then he wouldn't have cared either way like everyone else in the population. Hope was just a bystander to the whole thing. He wasn't like Snow that was already willing to oppose the fal'Cie of Cocoon, his only occurred a few days prior with Sareh being taken away from him. So he was going to blindly oppose everything in his way anyway.

Still stands though that as a player we're going to see things differently than the characters in the game. And it is easy to forget that sometimes. We are presented with information in a specific manner so that we reach certain conclusions and understanding of the story that the characters are often not privy to until much later or at all. We are also affected by all of the other stories we've seen and that prejudges our view of things when we get into one. Something obvious to us isn't going to be them.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

黒い翼の天使 Anybody else hate Fang and Hope? yuki's Avatar

as for hope i love him HE IS CUTE coz he is a chipi and all .....^__^
    but as for fang i dont know i dont hate her but i dont like her ......

Blog Entries

I love Fang for her character, her stats are just a bonus. XD Her personality is a great contrast to pretty much everyone else, though if you look closely a lot of it is a facade. Yes, she is damned strong and she knows it, but if you think that's all there is to her then you haven't been paying attention. Particularly if you've finished the story. Of course, I am heavily biased in that regard as I relate very well to her.

I'll admit, I started out hating Hope for being so whiny and emo, but I think it's more because I have a harder time relating to him at all. He's basically a kid dealing with some very adult problems and not being able to handle it, not at first. When I look at it from his angle he's not really a bad character. I think SE just overdid it a little bit, focusing too heavily on his negativity for too long.

But, to each their own. In every game there's going to be at least one character (aside from the obvious ones) you dislike or outright hate. In my opinion it's a good thing because it means the characters are more diverse. I'm actually surprised that there's no one I really dislike in this game, aside from my aforementioned issues with Hope.

~DragonHeart~
    Family: Psiko, Mistress Sheena, Djinn

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

I loved Fang, though I'll admit, it was mostly for the stats. I didn't dislike her character though. Now Hope on the other hand I didn't like, but it's a prejudice I hold against most kid characters in games in general (after voice acting became prevalent anyway). They always seem to make them either angsty or more full of ideals than is humanly possible and since the character type comes up a lot (in most recent RPGs I've noticed) I've grown to despise them. Whiney voices are the final nail in the coffin.
    victoria aut mors

This ain't no place for no hero Anybody else hate Fang and Hope? Tiffany's Avatar

Hope grew on me. In the beginning though I thought he was a whiney bitch and I hated being forced to use him. However, once he emotionally "grows" as the storyline progresses he does get better.

I always liked Fang's character. Strong, but empathetic too. Protective of her "family". Since she felt that she was the protector, she was more serious about things. I dunno, didn't find anything to NOT like her.

Snow's "hero" bit got kind of old, pretty fast.

Magically Delicous Anybody else hate Fang and Hope? Merlin's Avatar

My problem with the characters has little to do with the script. It had to do with the shamefully bad voice acting. I mean seriously, I thought Vanille was being played by someone trying way too hard to do an accent until I realized that she is Australian and that's how she actually talks. No that is not an insult to Australians. I'm just saying her voice sounded like she was trying too hard to do an accent(and failing miserably). Her voice is so annoying and all of her non-spoken sounds (being hit, falling, etc) make me feel dirty even hearing. Hope's voice is just about as annoying. Basically, they were both overacted badly.

I've probably mentioned this before and I bet a great many people would agree with this, I want the Japanese voice track. I don't give a shit if it eats up more space or you have to drop support for Xbox360 to do it... DO IT. The best English voice actors Squeenix has hired were those on FF TSW. Hell if the game costs a few dollars extra to hire professionals who know how to do proper voice acting, then do it.

Now since this isn't exactly about voice acting but about the characters themselves, I did hate Hope at first. Andro's original response made me laugh because the city name goof-up reminded me of FFIV, which had the most annoying child characters in RPG history... Palom and Porom. Hope is a godsend compared to those two.

Actually to me, the character that got the worst script was Sazh. His whole persona was a bad joke, from the chocobo chick in his hair to the corny, badly-written lines(don't make me quote him) to the worst climax to an event in the whole game...(below)

Spoiler:
    Sazh's suicide was bloody awesome. It was unique(for Squeenix) and added a great depth to the game...how often in a Square game does one of the leading characters kill himself because he can't deal with all the pain? Oh wait, he didn't actually kill himself. FAIL.

For that, Sazh wins the lame-ass character of the game award. But it totally is not his fault. He is like a good actor stuck with a shit script. There's only so much you can do with it. So for that, he gets an honorary Oscar nomination...

I do have one recommendation that would have made Hope a more realistic character. He should have slit his wrists with that knife Lightning gave him. I don't mean he should have died, I just mean he should have slit his wrists from the pain and agony of everything he went through. Also, Lightning should have bitch-slapped him at least once. She punched Snow numerous times and assaulted Fang... please for the love of whatever you believe in (formerly)... back-hand Hope and tell him to STFU. It would have added a bit of depth to her character.

OK enough ranting for this post.
    Last edited by Merlin; 08-31-2010 at 08:18 PM.

This ain't no place for no hero Anybody else hate Fang and Hope? Tiffany's Avatar

Yeah, Sazh did seem like the "Token Black Guy". Ever see the movie "Not Another Teen Movie"? Totally reminded me of that, I kept expecting him to say "Damn, that's whack!" every so often.

私は。。。思い出にはならないさ Anybody else hate Fang and Hope? chaosweapon's Avatar

Do you hate Hope for being so dependent on others? Keep in mind that he's just a kid after all. In my opinion, Hope is the best character in the game. He makes the biggest progress when compared to other characters. He starts off as a wimp and finally becomes a true hero. In the final chapters, his thoughts are actually the best ones.

For example:
    SPOILER!!:
    "Sometimes you have to lie to protect others. Sometimes you have to lie to stop from getting hurt. Sometimes everything you know in the world turns out to be a lie. But at the end of the day, the lie isn’t what matters, it’s what you do after you tell it. If you work hard enough, you can make it true."

As for Fang I felt she isn't very social but I do not hate her for that.
    SPOILER!!:
    She lost her memory after all, and the only person she could trust was Vanille. But most of all she was a Pulse La'Cie so she was like an enemy to most of the people around her.

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I hated Vanille. Well, her voice actor. How can you hate Fang? Or Hope, later on in the story?

Quote Originally Posted by OP
    Mainly though I hate her for not really being a present part of the story for over 50% of the game then just comes in and has some of the best stats. This leaves every strategy guide and video of the game to have Fang in it. I refuse to use her, I like characters for personality and depth so she just rots off on the side of my character screen.
    That's a silly reason to be hating on a character. It wouldn't have made sense for her to come in earlier, and besides... what was the need to have her before? You had Snow, who I didn't think was as good. It's not as if you wasted time grinding Snow or anything, for her to come in on the story and put you down with her high statistics.

Besides, her character was awesome. She was a strong character, but to me she felt like the mother of the group on a subconscious level. When Lightening strikes (pun intended) her shortly after bumping into her, Fang's reaction was pretty humorous. Heck, I think even she thought it was funny (somewhat).

I don't understand what there was to hate about her...

Quote Originally Posted by OP
    Along the same lines I also hate Hope, hes the winiest kid I have ever seen. I wanted to smack him through the screen a countless number of times, especially when hes like "Snow killed my mom..." HE DID NOTHING CLOSE TO THAT YOU MORON!!! Then he's just like "ok, Snow's cool" after 1 or 2 scenes, then is useless to the story. Yet his stats and classes are "sooooo good" that every strategy guide and video has him at the forefront.
    Hope didn't understand, and saw what he saw. You have to understand that he can't see and hear what you can see and hear. Fair enough, he could have quit it with the whining every now and then, but he's just a kid who's mixed up because he just lost his mum. Sometimes having someone else to blame makes things better, and that's how he felt about Snow.

He's not useless to the story either, because don't you go to his house to seek some sort of aid from his father? His character develops quite a lot throughout the story too, so it's not as if he was out of it for long periods of time. You have timid Hope > upset Hope > whiny Hope > revenge stricken and whiny Hope > forgiving Hope > and strong Hope. I thought he was a pretty interesting character, if I'm completely honest.

A lot of people used Hope because of the roles he had as defaults. I believe he could be a Ravager, Medic and Synergist, which are extreamly useful roles. A lot of people used the combination of Lightening, Hope and Fang because it gave a pretty good set up in the Paradigms.
    Last edited by Unknown Entity; 09-01-2010 at 04:03 PM.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    ....shamefully bad voice acting.... her voice sounded like she was trying too hard to do an accent(and failing miserably). Her voice is so annoying and all of her non-spoken sounds (being hit, falling, etc) make me feel dirty even hearing. Hope's voice is just about as annoying. Basically, they were both overacted badly.

Actually to me, the character that got the worst script was Sazh. His whole persona was a bad joke, from the chocobo chick in his hair to the corny, badly-written lines(don't make me quote him) to the worst climax to an event in the whole game...(below)

Spoiler:
    Sazh's suicide was bloody awesome. It was unique(for Squeenix) and added a great depth to the game...how often in a Square game does one of the leading characters kill himself because he can't deal with all the pain? Oh wait, he didn't actually kill himself. FAIL.

For that, Sazh wins the lame-ass character of the game award. But it totally is not his fault. He is like a good actor stuck with a shit script.

...He should have slit his wrists with that knife Lightning gave him ... from the pain and agony of everything he went through. ... Lightning should have bitch-slapped him at least once.
    I agree with almost all you said in your post.

I couldn't quite grasp how bad Vanilles voice acting was, Half the time i wondered if she had a lisp, a slur or just brain damage (her personality can also support this). Even for all of Vanilles bad aspects though i did manage to end up not hating her like Fang and Hope.

Sazh did get stuck with a really bad script. He's my favorite character in the games but there were several times where I was like "did he need to do/say that?" because he did just go off on random "token black guy" moments.
    Spoiler:
    As I may have said before the part where he almost kills himself was when the game finally 'hooked' me, this game had a slow start for me

@ Unknown Entity
    Fang coming in with the best stats after being MIA half the game IS really annoying. I got set up with my teams learned their strengths and stuff just to have several of them blown out of the water by this person who just strolled in from the side (figuratively of coarse, she did hook up with snow earlier in the game but there was no actual gameplay with her at that point).

It's insane how much her attack stat is boosted over everyone elses. Like i said, I let her rot on the side of the screen after i got her and by the end of the game her attack stat still rivaled Lightnings and Snows and I had the fully upgraded 2nd tier weapon for lightning as well as mastering the commando role for both Snow and Lightning.

THEN after all her unfairness as an attacker(commando), defender (sentinel) AND sabatour (i know shes not the best at that but shes one of the few thats ok) she gets the iconic bahamut as her summon. lame

Seriously if there was a favorite among the character/stat designers it was her

The Mad God Anybody else hate Fang and Hope? Heartless Angel's Avatar

Well, I hated Hope. You can go on all day about why he was so emo and whiny and all that, but at the of the day, he's still emo and whiny and annoys the living shit out of me. But then, i rarely have good things to say about kids in games, so I'm biased against him from the start.

Fang however, was my favorite character (other than the randomchocobo in Sazh's fro. NOTHING is more awesome than a Frocobo.) I'd have to place Fang in my top 10 favorite FF characters. I like the fact that she was a bitch who could kick your ass to Gran Pulse and back rather than a cliche shy white mage chick (Not that all FF chicks have been that way, but quite a few have been exactly that)
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heartless Angel
    Well, I hated Hope. You can go on all day about why he was so emo and whiny and all that, but at the of the day, he's still emo and whiny and annoys the living shit out of me. But then, i rarely have good things to say about kids in games, so I'm biased against him from the start.
    Hope wasn't really an emo. I'm pretty sure most of us would be upset if we'd just watched our mothers full to their deaths, thinking that we know that she could have been saved.

He's what... 14? 15? He'd been dragged into a big, scary place with lots of fighting. He watched his mother die. He then got branded as a L'Cie. I don't think he had a very good day.

>>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

The Mad God Anybody else hate Fang and Hope? Heartless Angel's Avatar

Yes, he had good reasons to be whiny and obnoxious, but that doesn't change the fact that he was whiny and obnoxious. He annoyed the hell out of me o.O
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Magically Delicous Anybody else hate Fang and Hope? Merlin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Entity View Post
    Hope wasn't really an emo. I'm pretty sure most of us would be upset if we'd just watched our mothers full to their deaths, thinking that we know that she could have been saved.

He's what... 14? 15? He'd been dragged into a big, scary place with lots of fighting. He watched his mother die. He then got branded as a L'Cie. I don't think he had a very good day.
    I would have to disagree with that. Not all of us were like him at that age. For one thing, it was made apparent in the game from the luxurious accommodations in his home to being a single child that in all likelihood he was a spoiled child. His father was probably the type of dad that focuses all his efforts into his job and throws gifts at his son to make up for the lack of being there for him. So, in actuality, the reason he's a whiny bitch is because that's how he was raised. It has little to do with losing his mother.

If anything, Lightning should have been harder on him. Yeah your mom died. Shit happens. There are 1,000 soldiers barreling down on us wanting us dead. You can either keep acting like a high school drama queen or man up, grab a weapon and fight. Your choice. That's not being heartless or insensitive, it's military training. You can grieve later. Check your emotions at the door or you die.

Of course none of us can honestly say exactly how we would react in a given situation, but I can wager to guess that it would not be anything like his behavior.
    Last edited by Merlin; 09-16-2010 at 09:00 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin
    I would have to disagree with that. Not all of us were like him at that age.
    It's a good thing I wasn't speaking for everyone when I put in all the "he"'s in my previous post, huh? I'm sure not everyone is emotionally calm or stable at that age to be able to watch their parent fall to his or her death, and still maintain the attitude before then.

So, in actuality, the reason he's a whiny bitch is because that's how he was raised. It has little to do with losing his mother.
    I agree with he was raised as a somewhat spoilt child. However, I think a lot of it had something to do with his mother, you know, falling in front of his eyes to her death. Him and his mother were both in that situation for a reason. If his dad was a workaholic, then his mother probably wasn't and was always the parent there for him.

If anything, Lightning should have been harder on him. Yeah your mom died. Shit happens. There are 1,000 soldiers barreling down on us wanting us dead. You can either keep acting like a high school drama queen or man up, grab a weapon and fight. Your choice. That's not being heartless or insensitive, it's military training. You can grieve later. Check your emotions at the door or you die.
    Yes. I'm pretty sure if Hope HAD a heart of stone, he'd be thinking "Yeah, mum's dead. Shit happens. I'ma go find a gun now because this shitty boomerang is pretty childish and isn't very military. By the way Snow, it's cool - I saw that you pretty much dropped my mum, but daddy will get me a new one I suppose."

I'm pretty sure Hope wasn't there for military training or to fight with the rebels, Merlin. Nor was his mother or anyone else.

Of course none of us can honestly say exactly how we would react in a given situation, but I can wager to guess that it would not be anything like his behavior.
    Perhaps not. But maybe. Like you said, you wouldn't know.

I'm not saying he didn't annoy me, because he did. I just think a lot of people dismissed him for that reason without getting a grasp of his character.

>>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Entity View Post
    Yes. I'm pretty sure if Hope HAD a heart of stone, he'd be thinking "Yeah, mum's dead. Shit happens. I'ma go find a gun now because this shitty boomerang is pretty childish and isn't very military. By the way Snow, it's cool - I saw that you pretty much dropped my mum, but daddy will get me a new one I suppose."
    Like I have originally stated Hope has to be dumb, deaf and blind to jump to the retarded conclusion that Snow in any way wanted to or took specific actions towards killing his mom. If I was lightning I would have swift kicked him in the head for being such a retard. Be sad about your mom, sure, but don't go on and on about a outlandish theory that Snows soul purpose was to be a **** and trick your mother into killing herself or finish her off himself.

Seriously, The whole time hes like "boo-hoo" while Lightning is desperately trying to make her way out of this mess. I would be comforting at first but if at every stop he starts whining about Snow I would leave him or throw him off a cliff myself so then he realizes what it's like when someone kills you with intent

I want to play a game. Anybody else hate Fang and Hope? Zargabaath's Avatar

I'll follow Dan's point with Hope; he [Hope] was there when the bridge blew up; Vanille and him stop running to look at the explosion that just took place. Hope's eyes are focused on that bridge; he sees what is going on. Snow begins to bring Nora to safety (meaning he wants to save her) when their side of the bridge/highway (really) collapses. And this is where it gets more stupid on Hope's part. He was watching that area and in his view he could make out his mother. From that distance he could clearly distinguish his mother from the other people. Therefore he did see Snow's reaction to when Nora slipped out; a reaction that is not conducive to wanting her dead or not caring for her safety.

Many people in defense of Hope's behavior have said to look at certain aspects that would explain, if not excuse, Hope's behavior, yet there is more to Snow's situation that Hope probably never gives thought to along with what he saw and willfully ignores. I'm talking about human sweat; there was probably some on Nora's hand plus holding on to somebody while trying to hold on to a rail is very difficult. One arm is holding onto a middle-aged woman who is average weight while the other arm has the weight of Snow and Nora.

What also bugs me about Hope's arc is how nobody explicitly states that the Purge was really a massacre; remember that conversation between Lightning and Sazh? Yeah. The Hope x Snow arc drags on for too long which is another problem; I really wanted somebody to smack sense into Hope by the Chapter 5. Toriyama used what I found lame techniques to further the arc; when Hope couldn't say that Snow "killed" his mother, Hope kept stuttering unable to finish his sentence. Then Hope couldn't talk to Snow when the group separated at Lake Bresha. If there is going to be a very stupid character, fine, but there has to be someone to give him a b**ch smack to knock reason into him.

As I mentioned before while Hope was very stupid, Snow had an even more idiotic moment when he says it is his fault that those people died. Apparently none of the cast can remember what happens or what they say (Vanille); that fat guy volunteered to fight and then others joined in. Snow never asked for any of them to fight. He did not force a gun in their hand. They fought to protect their lives, to protect themselves from PSICOM, the Sanctum, and some protected what they cherished most - like Nora did for Hope which Hope is oblivious to and never really shows that he was aware of her intentions.
    Last edited by Zargabaath; 10-16-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

Thank you Zargabaath! Hope is over the top stupid/misinterpretive and thanks for pointing out the fact that everyone seems to dodge the fact that the purge was an attempt at a massacre.
    At times this game wasn't very straight-forward and that made things difficult to follow especially with the terms cieth, L'ce and Fal'ce (don't care for the proper spelling) being thrown around sooo much before it really establishes what each one is I didn't need a baby whining annoyingly about a clear accident.

Registered User Anybody else hate Fang and Hope? CloudvsLightning's Avatar

Oh my gawd. I hate Hope well at least for most of the game. "Let's kill Snow he needs to die." OK Hope you're on your own there. At the very end he's OK.

Fang didn't bug me as much. I hate her accent but I guess it makes her seem more real. I like Fang better than I like Vanille and Snow .... no offense to any Snow and Vanille fans out there. But Fang isn't in my top twenty characters from FF.

I only really liked a few characters from the game. Serah was OK and Sazh was funny. Lightning was the protagonist and was totally awesome (besides the messed up attitude) and everyone else . . . well what can I say?

"One Ring to rule them all, one Ring to find them -"

"Hey dude! Wrong place! This isn't The Lord of the Rings."

"Really? Are you sure . . . I mean . . ."

"I'm sure now go! Yeah now get out of the spotlight. I have some Deepground soldiers to shoot."

Registered User Anybody else hate Fang and Hope? Zidane77's Avatar

I like Fang, i was always looking forward for her coming in the party and then finally she arrives and she's a awesome fighter, really like her style.
    Hope is the only one i don't really like but he has positive aspects but those are only in a fight, it's nice to have supportive abilities but i'd rather have someone else in the party than him

hi everyone im back sorry i havent been on here for a while been busy with college.i quit like hope and fang one you have powered them there quit strong but like u said hope is the whinest kid ever. with lighting bein the main charictor withch is the best two to use with can anyone suggest me the two best charictors to use with lighting please.

Blog Entries

Hope was annoyingly helpless and vengeful, but he was kinda unique in that since because he wasn't the "damsel in distress" like in most other games/movies/forms of media that we're used to. He was still a really bad character though and I didn't like using him outside of when I was required to.

Fang was actually a good character and one of my mains (I used Lightning/Sazh/Fang for the story). She has a lot of use in battle, from dealing damage to soaking up damage as a Sentinel to debuffing, and she has a toughguy demeanor just like Lightning, which I like.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Ellipsis Anybody else hate Fang and Hope? Meigumi's Avatar
    Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Fang...She was awesome, enough said. Her accent fits her and Vanille so well, and she's great as Commando. :'>

As for Hope, I don't have any complaints. A lot has happened to him, and if I were him, I'd probably act the same way. >_>; He wasn't prepared for it, and so he freaked out, but eventually matured and accepted the past.
    And he's a fantastic Ravenger and Medic. ^0^
    .....And I also stole that cupcake.

TFF Family~:

Ice-cream loving brother Fate
    The great benevolent dark lord Elyon Demidias
    Lovable doll ViviMasterMage
    Soul Stealing, Chaos-loving, Pom-pom eating older brother Alther Feyz Lucifer Primus
    The Awesome and Dashing Thief, ethan
    The Stealthy Swordsman of Poetic Power, genome's blade

I don't really agree with you on Fang but I will agree with you on Hope. He can't stop being such a babby.

All he does is sit around a moap. He really gets on my nerves. He is almost in like every scene and with that "Snow killed my mother" crap he get sympathy but really I don't even think that it is about his mother being killed it is about him just not liking Snow. Maybe nextime they can actually give us a real good FF game.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast