View Poll Results: Which is more awesome?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • VII

47 51.09%
  • XII

23 25.00%
  • Both are equally awesome

22 23.91%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Which is the greatest, VII or XII?

Registered User Which is the greatest, VII or XII? Zidane77's Avatar

Re: Which is the greatest, VII or XII?

Quote Originally Posted by Heartless Angel View Post
    The characters were the worst part of the XII story. Best two words I can think of to describe them would be bland and forgettable. Not to say they were completely horrible, but by no means up to FF standards. When playing any of the earlier FF fr the first time, I'd miss a night or two of sleep, just because I needed to know what happened next. In XII, I really didn't care, the story just completely failed to wrap my interest. It wasn't straight up bad, but again nowhere near what I've come to expect from a Final Fantasy.

Gameplay, that's mostly just personal preference, and personally, I thought it was ****ing terrible. Not to say I'm totally against any and all changes to the system, I-X I loves every one of, because they changes were good. There is a tremendous difference between change and improvement. Recent FF's have certainly been changes, but not improvements.
    I agree, the characters weren't much believeable and it wasn't the same as earlier games, changes but not improvement.
    I don't even consider this game like a FF actually, more like a spin-off.
    That helps playing the game.
    I actually think XI,XII and XIV shoulda been left out of the serie, in my opinion.
    With all those extra FF games (Tactics etc), those shoulda been one of them,a different serie if you will (Maybe Ivalice serie) simply because they don't have the same feel to it as the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Zidane77 View Post
    I actually think XI,XII and XIV shoulda been left out of the serie, in my opinion.
    That's kindof how I felt. but it does have alot of characteristics of final fantasy (no need to list them, we know what they are)
    I agree about 14 too, I haven't played it, but I don't think 11 and 14 should have been given number. it messes everything up, especially in the future when the servers dont exist anymore and there will forever be holes in the series.
    Though, I think 9 fits final fantasy well.
    I've never played any of the spin offs.

Xanatos, we get it, you're the smartest person here. Leave o0Odin0o alone.
    o0Odin0o, you should know it doesn't matter what you say by now. It just has to be contradicted so the other guy will feel smarter. Just go back to pages 2 or 3 and look at my back and forth with him. Xanatos gave me his reasons, I the understood where he was coming from and agreed with him. Then somehow my new opinion, now closer to his own ..was wrong.
    Last edited by JuzamDjinn; 02-16-2011 at 07:56 PM.

The Mad God Which is the greatest, VII or XII? Heartless Angel's Avatar

I agree, the characters weren't much believeable and it wasn't the same as earlier games, changes but not improvement.
    With all those extra FF games (Tactics etc), those shoulda been one of them,a different serie if you will (Maybe Ivalice serie) simply because they don't have the same feel to it as the others.

Seriously, if they had called it something else, changed a few spell names around so it seemed like its own game, I probably would've liked it just fine, because I would've been looking at it as any old game. When you slap Final Fantasy (especially of the numbered series) on the box, that's saying something. XII failed to live up to what that name says.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Let darkness overshadow the light.. Which is the greatest, VII or XII? Angel of Iniquity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heartless Angel View Post
    Seriously, if they had called it something else, changed a few spell names around so it seemed like its own game, I probably would've liked it just fine, because I would've been looking at it as any old game. When you slap Final Fantasy (especially of the numbered series) on the box, that's saying something. XII failed to live up to what that name says.
    That's how I felt about FF12 and 13. Maybe it's whole history is a little to explained, maybe not enough mystical elements(dunce opinion haha) or not enough colors. I just think that it kinda strayed a little off the beaten path. The developer said he likes change, well he got it a little strongly with FF12 and 13.
    Change is good, can't deny that, but FF is known for certain things. I agree that FF11 and 14 should be a FFMMO series or there should be an Ivalice series like the fabolus series.

Your pathetic existence will shut down. I will make your lives end in ruin. Fear me, as you fear death. Not a threat, not a promise, but what must be finished. 7 final arcs...

New thought.
    Consider this.
    If there was an FF:Ivalice, or FFMMO series, they would be spinoffs. (duh)

What is the biggest difference between a mainseries and a new spin off?

Due to bugetary constraints, on account of projected sales that would be significantly less than a new installment to a new series. The production values and quality as the game as a whole would be alot less.
    Also launch sales would be less, people get excited about the next Final Fantasy....noone gives a f*ck about Crystal Chronicals, Echoes of whatever, or...those other ones that I dont even know the names of.

Square Enix is a company, people work there, people work to get paid, square enix need to sell games to make money.

To stay on topic..FFVII had better music too. Uematsu's best. Best boss theme EVER, One Winged Angel is there a more memorable final boss theme? complimented the atmophere perfectly whether you were in the Temple of ancients or in a Midgar reactor.

Let darkness overshadow the light.. Which is the greatest, VII or XII? Angel of Iniquity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JuzamDjinn View Post
    New thought.
    Consider this.
    If there was an FF:Ivalice, or FFMMO series, they would be spinoffs. (duh)

What is the biggest difference between a mainseries and a new spin off?

Due to bugetary constraints, on account of projected sales that would be significantly less than a new installment to a new series. The production values and quality as the game as a whole would be alot less.
    Also launch sales would be less, people get excited about the next Final Fantasy....noone gives a f*ck about Crystal Chronicals, Echoes of whatever, or...those other ones that I dont even know the names of.

Square Enix is a company, people work there, people work to get paid, square enix need to sell games to make money.

To stay on topic..FFVII had better music too. Uematsu's best. Best boss theme EVER, One Winged Angel is there a more memorable final boss theme? complimented the atmophere perfectly whether you were in the Temple of ancients or in a Midgar reactor.
    Ahh, I see, I forgot about crystal chronicles lol.
    Hmm, you are making FF7 sound great, does it get better after materia keeper? Also, they were making more than one game when they created FF12, which is why they might have changed allot during the last 5 months.
    As for FF7, it was for the most part, single gaming.

Your pathetic existence will shut down. I will make your lives end in ruin. Fear me, as you fear death. Not a threat, not a promise, but what must be finished. 7 final arcs...

Almost all of the story takes place past that point. At that point you're still just getting to know the characters.

Immortal images:
    VII: The origional spikey haired hero with a 6 foot long, 1 foot thick sword, standing stone strong.

XII: uh... ...? "I'm basch von ratzenburg of dalmaska!"..."I'm captain basch!"..."Basch lives!!" *whistle* ....start over.

Quote Originally Posted by o0Odin0o View Post
    Ahh, I see, I forgot about crystal chronicles lol.
    Hmm, you are making FF7 sound great, does it get better after materia keeper? Also, they were making more than one game when they created FF12, which is why they might have changed allot during the last 5 months.
    As for FF7, it was for the most part, single gaming.
    Like he says, it's basically starting.
    It's gets way better, it's not even my favorite game (IX is more my fav) but i would consider VII to be the best game of all time, simply because of overall things put together:

-The music is unique and probably my favorite, in general (i like to listen to it on my itunes)
    -Battle system is still fun and somehow doesn't get old, i think it's quickest of all FF (when ATB) and you can even still upgrade the graphics by playing the game on an emu (with a good PC of course).
    -Characters: Super epic and have a great depth, that's why i don't mind more games (even DoC), simply because those characters have so much to say.
    -Storyline: Very deep,dark and interesting and one of my favorite as well

And i can go on and on.

The Quiet One Which is the greatest, VII or XII? Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So that this is understood, involved members have been issued warnings for the rules that they broke. Current posting trends look for the issue to be now be calmed, but I will re-enforce that further actions between you two over any of the matters discussed in the thread that you were warned about will result in further warnings. So stay the current course and move on.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

Like he says, it's basically starting.
    It's gets way better, it's not even my favorite game (IX is more my fav) but i would consider VII to be the best game of all time, simply because of overall things put together:

-The music is unique and probably my favorite, in general (i like to listen to it on my itunes)
    -Battle system is still fun and somehow doesn't get old, i think it's quickest of all FF (when ATB) and you can even still upgrade the graphics by playing the game on an emu (with a good PC of course).
    -Characters: Super epic and have a great depth, that's why i don't mind more games (even DoC), simply because those characters have so much to say.
    -Storyline: Very deep,dark and interesting and one of my favorite as well

And i can go on and on.

Of all the FF's Ive played VII one has by far the highest replay value, even if you clear the game 100% you'll find your self loading up that 100% file and walking around doing stuff. The content of Gold Scaucer alone could have made a decent stand alone game (handheld most likley). Chocobo races...Snowboard (this was just as good as Cool Borders, or Snowboard kids(snowboarding games of the time)...Battle square...Rollercoaster(only thing in this game I could never get down)

Rollercoaster i thought was do-able but the battle arena was so annoying, that was the only thing i had trouble with and still haven't beaten 10 times in a row on disc 3 for Ribbon.
    Don't need that item either

Quote Originally Posted by JuzamDjinn View Post
    Of all the FF's Ive played VII one has by far the highest replay value, even if you clear the game 100% you'll find your self loading up that 100% file and walking around doing stuff. The content of Gold Scaucer alone could have made a decent stand alone game (handheld most likley). Chocobo races...Snowboard (this was just as good as Cool Borders, or Snowboard kids(snowboarding games of the time)...Battle square...Rollercoaster(only thing in this game I could never get down)
    I am guilty of doing just that... lmao.

To be fair, XII at least did set in stone what the goal of the story was which is good to know so you're not wondering if anything's really missing. Also, the change and improvement factor is also a huge element to the FF series. Honestly, I give the company props for even daring to attempt something new, however XII and XIII's battle systems upset me greatly... I miss the simple menus where I could choose from just 4 options that would lead to the next action. Or even turn based like X! XII just looked boring to me, and XIII took the fun away with basically grinding 24/7 and letting the AI do all the work. Though I should probably not get that game involved since it would off topic, sorry!

As for the spinoff talk, that actually doesn't sound half bad. How many times are they gonna use "Ivalice" in the FF franchise anyway? XP

As for the spinoff talk, that actually doesn't sound half bad. How many times are they gonna use "Ivalice" in the FF franchise anyway? XP
    Totally, that's crazy how they're doing that so much now!
    It's like they ran out of option with worlds, stopped doing world maps and have Ivalice worlds that connect together in a weird way. Seems to be that's a similarity theme like Cid or something, i hope not.

VII is better hands down don't get me wrong XII is okay but VII is just better all over sorry to FFVII haters and FFXII lovers!!!

Registered User Which is the greatest, VII or XII? NeoAquarius12's Avatar

I agree with Pete about the licensing system here. Every character is generally the same being with slightly different stats. At the end, you have a limited selection of weapons to use, but the same augments and everything. It's just less fun. Plus, tough boss battle, all you really have to do is continually recharge you MP and start your chain of super attacks... forget what they're called in XII.

XII is consistently one of my least favorite Final Fantasies, but it's still an awesome game, and some parts are super fun.

But VII is better. It's just a lot more fun, and the story is eons superior.

Dalmascan princess Which is the greatest, VII or XII? lady ashe's Avatar

I have never played vii so i have to say xii

Ashe and Vaan forever

I roleplay Daisuke Niwa and DArk from DNANGEL and HAruhi Fujioka from OHSHC and also Ashe, so if anyone would like to RP with me just ask haha

My twitter - @Host_Haruhi

Chief Inspiring Officer Which is the greatest, VII or XII? Cyanist's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I do not think anyone necessarily hates it. It is quite a decent, large expansed, medieval concoction. But when you compare it to a futuristic, engrossing, awesome game for its time like FFVII, things tend to get a tad serious. I, myself, hesitate to think on the subject, because the generational and technological gap between these games makes it hard to properly judge. FFXII was clearly made with presenting a larger, crisp atmosphere and smooth, simple game-play in mind, whilst FFVII was, for the most part, driven by its dark story and thrives in its inscrutable blocky pixels.
    I suppose it depends on what you are basing the judgment.
    The story of XII I've scrutinized and found lacking in the aspect of delicious morsels supplied abound in FFVII. (I kept waiting for Vaan to find out he was related somehow to a noble family thus making him eligible to marry Princess Ashe in the end, which never happened, btw. )
    Visually wise, the two games are night and day. They are both beautiful in their own way.
    (on the subject of character, though, I prefer FFVII, as the expressions are left to the imagination of the gamer, and while Balthier's smoothed-over form shifting about looking serious is okay, I think I'd prefer those grainy pixels shifting around uncertainly instead.) But I hate neither and like them both!
    ~I'm sorry I haven't been around very much~

The votes are in for the sketch contest. See who won the epic battle here:
    http://thefinalfantasy.net/forum...12-voting.html

to lady ashe seriously you NEED to play FFVII FFXII doesn't come close in my eyes!!!

Relaxin' with Final Fantasy Which is the greatest, VII or XII? KainsBro's Avatar

I like both games, however I believe VII to be the better of the 2... I remember hours trying to train Chocobos just to get the Gold one, so I could FINALLY get Knights of the Round! It was definitely worth all the trouble, though!

I still believe the VI is the best FF game ever! Story, Characters, EVERYTHING about VI was awesome!

But yeah, VII gets my vote!

Queen Which is the greatest, VII or XII? Crescent's Avatar

This isnt a question but heres me answer nyway:

Like a bitch.

But (suprisingly) I really loved XII. XII is one of my top FF's. Just loved it.

Banned Which is the greatest, VII or XII?

Okay.... lol.

This is strictly my opinion, as a gamer, a Squaresoft EXPERT, and FF Junkie, and a story teller. So don't take this as, or turn this into an arguement, please.

You ask, you get answers and opinions. =P

VII is twice the game XII is, in every aspect but graphics and personal preference to XII combat and skill systems, etc.

VIII was the last "great" Final Fantasy made, period... The rest were good RPG's...

8, 6, and 7 are the greatest FF's ever made, for reasons I won't get into because it's off topic.

But that's my 2 cents. Not saying any one or thing is wrong, just weighing in.

-peace-

Quote Originally Posted by lady ashe View Post
    I have never played vii so i have to say xii
    -_- this... thi-no.... No... -_-

Good Lord, why have you forsaken this innocent child?

She's done nothing to deserve this cruel and sinister punishment.

Seriously... Buy a P1, or P2, and hunt down a copy... you don't know ANYTHING about FF until you beat 6, 7, & 8, hell - beat 9 too! Cause if X & XII were your introduction to Final Fantasy...

"B-b-b-b-Baby you just ain't seen n-n-n-nothin' yet!"

-peace-

Quote Originally Posted by OutlawTorn View Post

-peace-
    LOL But how do you account for the morons who have played it and still dont like it hmm????

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Which is the greatest, VII or XII? Xanatos's Avatar

She's done nothing to deserve this cruel and sinister punishment.

Seriously... Buy a P1, or P2, and hunt down a copy... you don't know ANYTHING about FF until you beat 6, 7, & 8, hell - beat 9 too! Cause if X & XII were your introduction to Final Fantasy...

"B-b-b-b-Baby you just ain't seen n-n-n-nothin' yet!"

-peace-
    You seriously need to chill down, though I have to say I agree with you. She definitely should have started with inferior games seriously lacking in both story and character personality & development such as Final Fantasy VIII then move onto something better.

Quote Originally Posted by omgawd View Post
    LOL But how do you account for the morons who have played it and still dont like it hmm????
    Somehow I highly doubt it, nevertheless I have to ask, ever heard about a thing called "different taste in videogames"?

While you may adore what is in my personal opinion a highly flawed game it doesn't mean others have to do it as well nor should they be called morons for not liking it.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Quote Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post
    Somehow I highly doubt it, nevertheless I have to ask, ever heard about a thing called "different taste in videogames"?

While you may adore what is in my personal opinion a highly flawed game it doesn't mean others have to do it as well nor should they be called morons for not liking it.
    NO way! I refuse. "Different taste in Videogames"???? Nope..But Ive heard of poor taste and great taste!

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Which is the greatest, VII or XII? Xanatos's Avatar

NO way! I refuse. "Different taste in Videogames"???? Nope..But Ive heard of poor taste and great taste!
    I assume (easily a wrong assumption) that those who don't like Final Fantasy VII, though they may have perfectly valid reasons, have bad taste in video games according to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post
    I assume (easily a wrong assumption) that those who don't like Final Fantasy VII, though they may have perfectly valid reasons, have bad taste in video games according to you?
    Damn straight. That game is a fraction of a percent close to perfection.

...BUT they dont have to be hardcore about it like me (Im so fking proud of it btw). Its not the most requested videogame remake in the history of videogames for nothing! Or if it were "highly...flawed?!?!!.................just....gimm e.....a sec...... Lets just say that if they were to announce a FFVII remake the internet will be brought down faster than SOPA. Anyways we could go on and on but you seem to hold a real bad grudge for "FFVII IS THE BEST FF/GAME EVERR" fans. I love and continue to preach my game as the best game ever no matter what anyone fking says.

I don't account for morons, omgawd. =)

And Xantax, Zantor, I apologize, one who seems so offended by others taste in games, and who feels so obligated to make them feel wrong, or inferior to your tastes... you should follow your own advice.

Opinions on good games are never rright or wrong. Reardless of what you think.... It's got nothing to do with you.

I don't account for morons, omgawd. =)

And Xantax, Zantor, I apologize, one who seems so offended by others taste in games, and who feels so obligated to make them feel wrong, or inferior to your tastes... you should follow your own advice.

Opinions on good games are never rright or wrong. Reardless of what you think.... It's got nothing to do with you.
    Sorry but i have to do this.. lol go you!

Damn straight. That game is a fraction of a percent close to perfection.

...BUT they dont have to be hardcore about it like me (Im so fking proud of it btw). Its not the most requested videogame remake in the history of videogames for nothing! Or if it were "highly...flawed?!?!!.................just....gimm e.....a sec...... Lets just say that if they were to announce a FFVII remake the internet will be brought down faster than SOPA. Anyways we could go on and on but you seem to hold a real bad grudge for "FFVII IS THE BEST FF/GAME EVERR" fans. I love and continue to preach my game as the best game ever no matter what anyone fking says.
    Meaning, even if you have perfectly valid reasons for not liking Final Fantasy VII you're a moron and have bad taste in video games. Superb, I like how open minded you are.

Actually, it is highly flawed, or at lest my take on what highly flawed means. As far as I recall I gave you a well written post where I summed up pretty much all of it's flaws, I even offered links to cover my claims... your response was, well, childish at best, you refused to touch even one point leading me to believe it's not all hate and gibberish as you're willing to believe.

If you're willing to preach and if it is indeed the "best game eva" you should at least learn to back your words and to defend properly, you can see how response such as "omgawd, you're stupid, you don't know shit, this is the best game eva..." or plain insulting someone for nothing but having diferent opinion than you may lead to someone not liking you. As far as remake goes, this may come as shock to you, but I would actually love to see that happen, with additional content and all those flaws fixed of course.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast