Thread: Too far too fast?

Too far too fast?

Did anyone else find that they got through IX too quickly? I played through the whole thing twice and both times I got the final boss with all my characters on about level 40, which meant they were too weak to win the fight and as a result I've never managed to beat the game. The second time through I really tried to work slowly and do as much training as I could at every point, but the game just kept letting me breeze through, and once I was at level 40 there were hardly any monsters in the game that gave me enough experience to level up anything like fast enough. The strongest monsters were the crystal ones in Memoria, but they didn't give out any Exp!

Did anyone else have this problem or was I just playing it wrong?

PS: Don't get me wrong, I still love FFIX. Tetra Master rules and Steiner is one of my all time fav FF characters!

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Too far too fast? Xanatos's Avatar

Re: Too far too fast?

While I do agree that Final Fantasy IX was not challenging enough, as far as main story goes, Ozma is a bitch though, it was no shorter than other games in franchise, except for Final Fantasy XII which is massive to begin with.

I actually find Memoria to be a great place to max your characters, with level up ability on grinding is fairly easy, then again it just might be me as I love to grind, strange, I know =D

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

TFF's Resident Messenger Too far too fast? Michael Swayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I found that Final Fantasy IX's story more involved than others, so I took extra time to complete everything I could. Granted, I haven't fully completed the game, because I have a few side quests I've yet to complete (finding Stellazio coins, all 100 cards, coffee, Mognet quest, etc.).

I know that I spent at least 20 hours just on Disc 1. My characters were at least Level 15, with Steiner being around 22 before he left with Dagger (Level Up Ability was used).

Maybe you should go for a few of the side quests, or perhaps just go back to places you hadn't been in a while. NPCs offer different information as well, so you may want to go back to catch up with some of them.
    Social Group Endorsements, TFF Awards, and Other Accomplishments (Updated December 26, 2013):

2011 TFF Member Elimination Game - 2nd Place

TFF Adoption Agency
    Hot Shot - August 31, 2011 to November 18, 2011
    Draug Isilme - December 29, 2011 to February 27, 2012
    lovehearty42 - August 9, 2012 to November 4, 2012
    beatrix - September 4, 2012 to November 4, 2012

Communist Theocratic Commonwealth of the Illustrious and Eternal Al-ha Empire and Crown Dependencies

Yeah, it was a few years ago that I was playing it so I think maybe I found the side quests too hard and just ignored them I don't have my Playstation where I live right now so I can't play it but hopefully I'll have it again soon. Aesthetically it was one of my favourite games and I just love playing Steiner so much, his sword art skills are awesome!

How many city cards are there? They were my favs but I only ever go tAlexandria and Lindblum. Were there others?

TFF's Resident Messenger Too far too fast? Michael Swayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by X-Meteo View Post
    How many city cards are there? They were my favs but I only ever go tAlexandria and Lindblum. Were there others?
    There are only two castle cards (city cards^). Alexandria and Lindblum. Here is a list of all, just in case you are missing some.

Monsters
    Goblin
    Fang
    Skeleton
    Flan
    Zaghnol
    Lizard Man
    Zombie
    Bomb
    Ironite
    Sahagin
    Yeti
    Mimic
    Wyerd
    Mandragora
    Crawler
    Sand Scorpion
    Nymph
    Sand Golem
    Zuu
    Dragonfly
    Carrion Worm
    Cerberus
    Antlion
    Cactuar
    Gimme Cat
    Ragtimer
    Hedgehog Pie
    Ralvuimahgo
    Ochu
    Troll
    Blazer Beetle
    Abomination
    Zemzelett
    Stroper
    Tantarian
    Grand Dragon
    Feather Circle
    Hecteyes
    Ogre
    Armstrong
    Ash
    Wraith
    Gargoyle
    Vepal
    Grimlock
    Tonberry
    Veteran
    Garuda
    Malboro
    Mover
    Abadon
    Behemoth
    Iron Man
    Nova Dragon
    Ozma
    Hades

Spells/Eidolons
    Holy
    Meteor
    Flare
    Shiva
    Ifrit
    Ramuh
    Atomos
    Odin
    Leviathan
    Bahamut
    Ark
    Fenrir
    Madeen
    Alexander

Weapons and Items
    Excalibur 2
    Ultima Weapon
    Masamune
    Elixir
    Dark Matter
    Ribbon
    Tiger Racket
    Save The Queen
    Genji
    Mythril Sword

Airships
    Blue Narciss
    Hilda Garde 3
    Invincible
    Cargo Ship
    Hilda Garde 1
    Red Rose
    Theater Ship
    Viltgance

Creatures
    Chocobo
    Fat Chocobo
    Mog
    Frog
    Oglop

Castles
    Alexandria
    Lindblum

Special Cards
    Two Moons
    Gargant
    Namingway
    Boco
    Airship
    Social Group Endorsements, TFF Awards, and Other Accomplishments (Updated December 26, 2013):

2011 TFF Member Elimination Game - 2nd Place

TFF Adoption Agency
    Hot Shot - August 31, 2011 to November 18, 2011
    Draug Isilme - December 29, 2011 to February 27, 2012
    lovehearty42 - August 9, 2012 to November 4, 2012
    beatrix - September 4, 2012 to November 4, 2012

Communist Theocratic Commonwealth of the Illustrious and Eternal Al-ha Empire and Crown Dependencies

The White Wizard of Fynn Too far too fast? Mindu's Avatar

X-Meteo, if you have all the best weapons and armour (and consequently, spells and abilties) from finding all the chocograph chests, I doubt the final boss would have been too much trouble at level 40, although it may have been tricky. I found this to be one of the FF games that didn't require any grinding to complete.

I remember those diehards who used to go for level 1 challenges. Dunno if any of them ever succeeded.

Boxer of the Galaxy Too far too fast? Rowan's Avatar

I tried to get to level 99 by killing those nams (or yams?) that was a bitch to do. I managed to do so but it hardly seemed worth the effort.

Farming Dragons or Memoria is easier to level then the Yans. You have to set up each character correctly for the yans.

When I first beat FFIX I was around lvl60 for each of my characters and it was hard for me but I sucked at these games 10 years ago. 40 hours it took me.

I now get it done in about 20 hours if I'm lucky with some parts. But for that Excalibur 2 I'll need more luck, more time, and skip all those movies.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Quote Originally Posted by Mindu View Post
    X-Meteo, if you have all the best weapons and armour (and consequently, spells and abilties) from finding all the chocograph chests, I doubt the final boss would have been too much trouble at level 40, although it may have been tricky. I found this to be one of the FF games that didn't require any grinding to complete.

I remember those diehards who used to go for level 1 challenges. Dunno if any of them ever succeeded.
    I suppose my point was that because it's so easy to get through the whole game right up to the final boss (including all the other bosses in Memoria) without getting all the best equipment, spells etc. It's also very easy to reach the final battle and find yourself under-levelled and under-powered.

This is probably more to do with my playing style than the game, it was quite a long time ago that I played through it, but i was just wondering if anyone else had had a similar experience with it?

Boxer of the Galaxy Too far too fast? Rowan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Loaf View Post
    Farming Dragons or Memoria is easier to level then the Yans. You have to set up each character correctly for the yans.

When I first beat FFIX I was around lvl60 for each of my characters and it was hard for me but I sucked at these games 10 years ago. 40 hours it took me.

I now get it done in about 20 hours if I'm lucky with some parts. But for that Excalibur 2 I'll need more luck, more time, and skip all those movies.
    I used Quinas LVL.death on those dragons but after level 65 it took too long to level up. I think 42,000 was the cap on what it takes to level up from beyond there and the dragons gave about 8000exp divided between 4 characters.

The White Wizard of Fynn Too far too fast? Mindu's Avatar

I remember Necron giving me a lot of grief the first time I fought him, but that's because I didn't know what to expect, like his attacks. It doesn't matter what level someone is at, if they're not prepared for Grand Cross they're going to be in a world of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Loaf
    I remember a good place for grinding on disk 4 is one of the islands below Quan's cave. It's been many years since I've played it, but if I remember correctly the big leeches there would give around 11,000 for each character.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Meteo
    I suppose my point was that because it's so easy to get through the whole game right up to the final boss (including all the other bosses in Memoria) without getting all the best equipment, spells etc. It's also very easy to reach the final battle and find yourself under-levelled and under-powered.
    I used to have this problem. I remember in FFIV I got all the way to the end of the game in about 35 hours. I was at around level 50 and got hammered by the final boss. Ever since then I got into a bad habit of over-grinding in RPGs, to the point where characters are stupidly over powered. Now, I only make a conscious effort to level up if beating a boss is mathematically improbable, and at that I try again after a few levels. If I could have all those hours back I spent grinding in RPGs when I didn't need to, I'd be a couple of months younger.

Fantasy

i found the game to be of fairly good length, my characters were always around level 60 and up to 75 by the end but i always did the side-quests and all that kind of stuff. i remember when i played ff8 i was so far behind i couldnt even beat ultimecia......that game still confuses the crap out of me.

Registered BRUISER Too far too fast? Nidogod's Avatar

Yes, level 1 is not that hard to pull off in this game because equipment is more beneficial than level. If you go back and do Chocobo H&C all the way through for some ultimate weapons and armor, level 40 isn't too low for taking on the final boss. I'd recommend trying to get the team to at least 45, though. 40 is fine for Kuja but the other guy is a bit much.

I finished it fairly quickly. but i didnt do much of the sidequests either, i wanted to know what happened at the end so i kind of rushed it.

Registered User Too far too fast? Cry For Garnet's Avatar
    You can usually get through the game if your characters are level 50-55 and you have a decent understanding of the last booses' battle tactics, but this is only if you have been picking up most of the best equipment and abilities, otherwise, you may need to level your characters up a bit further.

Also it is virtually impossible to get through this game too quick if you power level at certain key areas, they say its possible for a decent player to get through the game in 16 hours if you know how, personally I have done it in 10 and a half, but I did have quite a bad migrane later that night.

The best thing to do in the case of FFIX and all the other final fantasy games in fact, is to spend lots more time than you need on the game rather than trying to rush through it. If you rush through the game you don't appreciate it, and if you take your time you do. Plus its also much more satisfying having just completed a completionist playthrough rather than a proffessional playthrough.

The most gameplay time I have ever had on FFIX without wasting time and having completed all of the side quests is 61 hours, but this does depend on some things like your luck in chocobo hot and cold for example.

As I said, completionist playthroughs are much more satisfying than rushthroughs.