Thread: How differently would the game look proportioned?

Let darkness overshadow the light.. How differently would the game look proportioned? Angel of Iniquity's Avatar

How differently would the game look proportioned?

Yes, the character designs is one of the main reasons why I cannot take it seriously as older games.
    If it were proportioned, I might respect it a little more.

Your pathetic existence will shut down. I will make your lives end in ruin. Fear me, as you fear death. Not a threat, not a promise, but what must be finished. 7 final arcs...

Re: How differently would the game look proportioned?

You are missing out. That's all I'm going to say.

This isn't the first time I've heard this. -_-

Ta DA!!!:

Alright, who censored my rocketship?

From The Clint Eastwood
    I'm thinking about creating a hybrid. A dolphin-monkey. Half dolphin, half monkey. Do you think it's possible?
    I was thinking that since I'm artificially creating it, I'll create it with rocket fuel instead of blood, and thus it will be able to fly, using the dolphin's dorsal fins as wings. And from the air, it will look down upon us all and protect us against sharks, and search for bananas.
    Block says:" this one time i got SUPER blazed and was riding with my friend to mcd's and i ran my fingers through my jew fro saying "I just feel like dancing"
    by Alpha: "Hate breeds hate. Love breeds love. F*ck real politik."
    Originally Posted by Michael Swayne
    I find Gypsy to be a very interesting person. In fact, when my hair grows out some more, Gypsy has already laid claim to it when I cut it again.

Let darkness overshadow the light.. How differently would the game look proportioned? Angel of Iniquity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Elder View Post

Don't worry, I have played this game, and beat until the third disc. I am beginning to play again from the 2nd disc.

I find that I cannot attach myself to characters of mis-proportioned size.

Your pathetic existence will shut down. I will make your lives end in ruin. Fear me, as you fear death. Not a threat, not a promise, but what must be finished. 7 final arcs...

Registered User How differently would the game look proportioned? Diamond Dust's Avatar

Is this thread a wind up?

The characters are disproportionate? It's a fantasy game, the clue is in the name for starters? And what makes them disproportionate anyway?

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth How differently would the game look proportioned? Xanatos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dust View Post
    Is this thread a wind up?
    It's not even funny how petty some people are.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel of Iniquity View Post
    Yes, the character designs is one of the main reasons why I cannot take it seriously as older games.
    If it were proportioned, I might respect it a little more.
    Older games? You mean LEGO Final Fantasy VII, Cloud's defying gravity hair, NES & SNES era characters with huge heads, and gender issues...it's called fantasy for a reason.

No midget friends I asume.

I always though personality comes first to educated psychologist such as yourself, in games if nothing else as virtual beauty doesn't mean a thing, guess I was wrong.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Registered User How differently would the game look proportioned?

To me, it would lose some of it's charm if the main characters looked "more proportional". There's a certain kind of whimsy that I feel comes from the way they look, and I like it. ^^ To each their own though. At least you're giving it a chance and playing it. There's been people who outright refuse to play the game because of the way the characters look.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

You should also keep in mind their ages. Garnet is only 16 and Vivi and Eiko are children. Amarant is taller than all of them and Beatrix and Steiner are somewhat around the same level.

I agree with Dodie, it's absolutely ridiculous how people refuse to play because the characters aren't as tall as they want them to be. In the gaming world that sounds completely stupid to say the least. I can relate though, FFIII DS was hard for me to get into. It felt more childish than the NES version for me and it turned me off, so I switched back to NES. However, if DS version was the only version I still would have played. It wasn't so much the character proportions just the overall feel compared to the NES version was different for me.
    Last edited by GypsyElder; 03-24-2011 at 10:48 AM.

Ta DA!!!:

Alright, who censored my rocketship?

From The Clint Eastwood
    I'm thinking about creating a hybrid. A dolphin-monkey. Half dolphin, half monkey. Do you think it's possible?
    I was thinking that since I'm artificially creating it, I'll create it with rocket fuel instead of blood, and thus it will be able to fly, using the dolphin's dorsal fins as wings. And from the air, it will look down upon us all and protect us against sharks, and search for bananas.
    Block says:" this one time i got SUPER blazed and was riding with my friend to mcd's and i ran my fingers through my jew fro saying "I just feel like dancing"
    by Alpha: "Hate breeds hate. Love breeds love. F*ck real politik."
    Originally Posted by Michael Swayne
    I find Gypsy to be a very interesting person. In fact, when my hair grows out some more, Gypsy has already laid claim to it when I cut it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post

No midget friends I asume.

I always though personality comes first to educated psychologist such as yourself, in games if nothing else as virtual beauty doesn't mean a thing, guess I was wrong.
    Hey now... Let's not get into a mud-slinging contest.

It's not the proportions that bothered me about FFIX, I just thought the art design and style was very un-FF like and hard to get into. I really had to squint at some characters, namely Freya and Amarant to get a grasp on their looks. Even the older sprites did a better job at conveying the characters.

Just IMO. I recently bought FFIX off the PSN, and I'm thinking of replaying it one of these days.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth How differently would the game look proportioned? Xanatos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cain Highwind View Post
    Hey now... Let's not get into a mud-slinging contest.
    My apologies Cain, actually that should be directed to my main man psychologist.

What I meant to say without sounding like complete douchebag, looks, especially in games such as Final Fantasy where characters look far from normal, should matter the least, if at all, let alone to prevent you from attaching to characters.

My apologies Cain, actually that should be directed to my main man psychologist.

What I meant to say without sounding like complete douchebag, looks, especially in games such as Final Fantasy where characters look far from normal, should matter the least, if at all, let alone to prevent you from attaching to characters.
    I am sorry, I didn't meant to offend you if I had.
    It was a typo, what I meant to say was other games, not older games.

And yes, you are correct about personality, which is why I actually like this game, I just find if they were proportioned right, as in correct body to head size, I may enjoy this even more. That is a big statement because I close to putting this in my top 3 Final Fantasy's.

With a serious story, I find that character designs can help.
    Super mario sunshines characters were obviously not correct in terms of shape, but how mature the story was, basically allowed it.

I also understand it is a "fantasy" game, it was just an after thought.

I should revise my question.

How would YOU take the game if the bodies were proportioned.

That is what I initially meant.

Actually I was the one apologizing to you for behaving like a douchebag in post prior to that.

How would YOU take the game if the bodies were proportioned.
    It would certainly lose it's charm, from setting to character design almost every game in franchise has it's own unique style. Despite it's serious story Final Fantasy IX is in general light hearted, it's huge homage to older titles where characters weren't, though for well known reason, actually proportioned.

Actually I was the one apologizing to you for behaving like a douchebag in post prior to that.

It would certainly lose it's charm, from setting to character design almost every game in franchise has it's own unique style. Despite it's serious story Final Fantasy IX is in general light hearted, it's huge homage to older titles where characters weren't, though for well known reason, actually proportioned.
    Well then thank you.

I believe that is one reason why i like this game, because it is light hearted. And though it has a serious story, it has enough in it to acclaim it's character designs.

if the characters were proportioned according to the real world, princess garnet would look like alizée

Quote Originally Posted by hummbe View Post
    if the characters were proportioned according to the real world, princess garnet would look like alizée
    I couldn't help but laugh when I googled her image.
    I could land a stratofortress on her head.

Anyways, yes, i can definitely see the resemblance.
    I also did not find anybody in the game attractive, not a bad thing as that isn't what I find first, but it is rare when i see a game without an attractive character.

Badass Military Agent How differently would the game look proportioned? Linus Li Lelouch's Avatar

You know, I've been around gamers a very long time, almost 17 years now, 20+ playing, and I've seen some crazy ass excuses for why a person would not like a game.

Some examples:

1) The music is off

2) The voices didn't sound right

Theres a lot of reason but those 2 are the main ones that caught my eye, this sounds like the words of a hardcore gamer to me, but I respect your decision nonetheless, just saying damn, people are getting picky more and more.

I'll edit more of a post later, kinda buzzin, so I gotta go, but that's my main points.

~The will to not want anything in exchange for nothing~ *Your's truly Linus*

-98% of all teens have tried smoking pot and drinking. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy this and put it in your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Linus Li Lelouch View Post
    You know, I've been around gamers a very long time, almost 17 years now, 20+ playing, and I've seen some crazy ass excuses for why a person would not like a game.

Some examples:

1) The music is off

2) The voices didn't sound right

Theres a lot of reason but those 2 are the main ones that caught my eye, this sounds like the words of a hardcore gamer to me, but I respect your decision nonetheless, just saying damn, people are getting picky more and more.

I'll edit more of a post later, kinda buzzin, so I gotta go, but that's my main points.
    I am sorry if I offened you, but you mistook this post.
    I really like the game, but like... Let's say Heavy rain. It was a great game, but the un-simplistic controls may make you wonder about the alternitive.

Same here. I like the game, just wondering if I would like it more, which i believe I would.

Smashtheincredible How differently would the game look proportioned? matt's Avatar

Are we really discussing this, no offence but its a game, I have to say I have never noticed any thing wrong with the way the characters look, Vivi and Eiko are small cos they are kids, Amarant is just like a sterotypical bouncer (massive) and Zidane isn't that small is he?
    Games beaten:- Crisis core, FF7 FF9 FF10. I need more time to game

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    Are we really discussing this, no offence but its a game, I have to say I have never noticed any thing wrong with the way the characters look, Vivi and Eiko are small cos they are kids, Amarant is just like a sterotypical bouncer (massive) and Zidane isn't that small is he?
    O.o, You can basically say that for every other FF subject on this forum.

Although they are small, they have really awkward body shapes. Gigan heads and mini bodies.

Final Fantasy Noob! How differently would the game look proportioned? ZenMonkey59's Avatar

It's an homage to the older games...so yeah, the art style is cartoony.

I for one love it...a nice departure from the intense realism of VIII and VII. Though the characters in VII are cartoony outside of battles and cutscenes.
    Final Fantasies I've Beaten: FFI, FFXIII

Currently Playing: FFIX

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Elder View Post

I agree 100%, the games cartoony style is why I prefer it to the others, FF7, FF8, FF10 all those builds are generic and boring, FF9 felt unique.

Registered User How differently would the game look proportioned? NeoAquarius12's Avatar

I am posting in here because I would like to see if anyone wants to take up the challenge of drawing these characters in a more proportionate way. What would they look like? I think the charm might deplete a little, but it could definitely raise the sexy factor. haha.

You can't draw them in a proportioned way. You would have to make them on a 3D Modeling Program to see a "proportioned" version. Whichever way "proportioned" is to you guys...
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Certified tech, come at me! How differently would the game look proportioned? SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm playing this game myself, the characters were meant to look funky. Its like the NES & SNES days when early RPG characters looked small and chunky (no rhyme intended). To me, FF IX and a lot of cutesy stuff in it and I like cutesy (I got a soft spot for that).

Maybe its one of those games where it takes time for the character design to sink in and you learn to appreciate it in the end? welp theres my two cents.
    Currently Playing:

Registered BRUISER How differently would the game look proportioned? Nidogod's Avatar

I'm playing this game myself, the characters were meant to look funky. Its like the NES & SNES days when early RPG characters looked small and chunky (no rhyme intended). To me, FF IX and a lot of cutesy stuff in it and I like cutesy (I got a soft spot for that).
    Yeah, that. It seems odd that you can not like these characters as much as older ones due to their cartoonish physiques when the reason they look like that is entirely to serve as a 3D representation of the character models of older games.

The King How differently would the game look proportioned? Tydis's Avatar

If I remember right character these days are looking pretty unique are you still playing classics?
    Tydis

I thank THE LEGEND OF DRAGOON because it wasn't for this game I would have never started playing FINAL FANTASY and discovered FINAL FANTASY X which is my favorite game I would be more than happy to put this pic as my signature.

Registered User How differently would the game look proportioned? + Revenant +'s Avatar
    Six feet under...and dragging you down with me

Don't worry, I have played this game, and beat until the third disc. I am beginning to play again from the 2nd disc.

So you couldn't attach yourself to most Final Fantasy characters before VIII?

The game would look very different if the characters were more proportional. It would also look a good deal too serious, especially for the dialogue. So I was satisfied with the style they chose. But for all those who are curious, here are some original character sketches.

More are here: Creative Uncut - Final Fantasy 9 Art / FF9 Art / FFIX Art / Pics / Pictures / Images

Everyone needs a savior How differently would the game look proportioned? the_savior21's Avatar
    Blog Entries

this question is ridiculous, like its already been stated its a FANTASY
    Don't look to others for knowledge, this is your story.

PSN: jwitt2123
    be sure to include in the request that you are from
    this forum and also ur username on here, if you intend
    to add me that is thanks

Currently playing
    FFIX- PSP via PSN, COD Black Ops (Zombies) - PS3

Most Played FF = FFVIII
    FF7-12, FF8-28, FF9-12, FFX-23

Every story must have an ending and every story needs a savior

Registered User How differently would the game look proportioned? Sheechiibii's Avatar

Have you played VII? Did you enjoy that more than IX and could you take those characters seriously? The characters were just as disproportioned in that, more so I'd say actually, than in IX. Did you ever think that perhaps these characters in this land are not the same as the humans we would normally think of? A bit like elves or dwarves; a form of humanoid that is dominant on Gaia. That's the way I always saw it - I didn't think that they were supposed to look the same as real humans, they are fictional people from a fictional land and if you look at it that way then it might be easier to take them seriously.

Xx..xX

"Everyone was so happy. 'Great job. You did it. You saved us... all.' There were too many smiles to count.
    But now...When I look back... The people who should be here aren't.
    The ones who should be smiling with me aren't here."

Scholar How differently would the game look proportioned? Kyrel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sheechiibii View Post
    Have you played VII? Did you enjoy that more than IX and could you take those characters seriously? The characters were just as disproportioned in that, more so I'd say actually, than in IX.
    Pretty much this.
    Except the unproportional design was part of the game's concept, and not graphical limitations like in VII. Sounds like a petty reason not to play a game.
    Here's a riddle: When is a croquet mallet like a billy club?